PDA

View Full Version : Why is NFL called "Foot-ball"?? What a Joke.

Dolfan02
10-15-2004, 03:18 PM
... that would be like calling the NFL Champions the "World" Champions or the MLB finals the "World" Series, even though all teams are American club teams.... OH WAIT..

With all the recent soccer-bashing in this forum by typical ignorant Yanks, it's time for me to open their eyes. I'm a fan of both NFL (American football) and soccer (football), maybe soccer moreso. Yes, soccer is called 'football' WORLDWIDE, with the exception of U.S., Canada, and Australia. Don't you think it makes sense? You know, the sport you use your FOOT to kick the BALL all during the game. Why is NFL called "football"?? Beats me.

NFL is always exciting? Then why do I only watch 3 seconds of play for every 1 minute of real time on average? And why do I have to watch 5 minutes of TV commericals for every 2 minutes of "play time"? And why do I have to listen to referees freakin' narrate paragraphs for their penalties and other game delays almost every other play? Where a typical NFL play only last 3-4 seconds before NFL players can catch a "breather", soccer players are running and in-play for two non-stop 45-minute halves. In soccer, there are no timeouts, no "2-minute warning" stoppage, no quarter breaks, no constant and unlimited substitutions, no offense/defense-only teams... my gosh with all the breaks that NFL players get, no wonder you can have fat guys with pop-bellies playing American football! No wonder you can have guys "spike the ball", "slide to the ground", "take a knee", "fair catch", "throw the ball away", just to avoid a tackle even with all the excess Roman-armor protection they wear.

A typical NFL fan like yourself thinks that an NFL score of 21-7 is just that, but it really is 3-1. If soccer players were permitted to also score "3 points" (field goal) as an alternative to your main objective, by kicking the ball from a distance over the goals, soccer players would have a field day.

NFL players wear plastic helmets, excessive padding, and women's tight pants. What kind of sport is this?? American football players celebrate fanatically in groups after making just one tackle. What the heck? You should watch a game of rugby, and then you'll know what real toughness is all about. I won't get into that here, I'll stick to soccer. Soccer players don't have the luxury of departmentalization of American football players. All soccer players play defense, offense, pass, score, etc. There are only 3 substitutions allowed for each team during a game. Soccer players are not given a freakin' direct order from their coach what to do for every single play. The players, not the coaches, decide the games. Handling a soccer ball with your feet is probably one of the most diffcult things to do in sports. Then you see what some of these pros from Europe, Africa, Latin-America do with the ball... WOAH. Plus, your defender is flying into your legs with nasty slides and open cleats like missles. The rules are simple, not over-loaded, and the strategy is wide-open yet simple thus allowing individual talent to prevail. And I don't need you to bring up women's soccer or little league soccer ever again to say how you "watched soccer and made your decision". You need to PLAY it and watch the best men's pro leagues from around the World after you tried playing it several times.

Soccer is more exciting than American football by leaps and bounds. It takes focus, not a short-attention span, to watch soccer. American sports with all the timeouts, delays, and cheerleader-watching, creates a short-attention span for the typical American. Just ask yourself this...who plays American-style football? If it was so exiciting, then why is only the USA and Canada playing it after about 100 years of its existence? Whereas soccer is full-blown in Europe, Africa, South America, Central America, Middle East, and huge chucks of East Asia. And literally every country in the World (from the tiniest and poorest island nations in Oceania to the bigger countries) all have a national team that competes to qualify for the World Cup. If soccer was "so boring", then why is the whole World playing it by majority and passionately except for Canada and U.S.?

(I posted this as a response in the other thread which mocked soccer compared to American "football". Just trying to make the arguement the other way around and maybe point out the abundant flaws in NFL compared to any other sport. Unfortunately, our national sports media is like Communism. They create the opinions of most American sportsfans into believing false stereotypes of other sports and blind glorification of our own sports.)

LIQUID24
10-15-2004, 03:48 PM
(Buzzer sound)

Wrong!

Meatwad
10-15-2004, 04:07 PM
boo this man!

nyjunc
10-15-2004, 04:25 PM
This is the funniest post I have EVER read on a MB, to compare the boringest sport on earth to the most exciting and to do so seriously :lol:

I'd rather watch the WNBA than a soccer game, I'd rather watch bowling, golf, the X-games, surfing, lawn darts, croquet, polo, water polo, synchronized swimming, diving, figure skating, gymnastics, speed skating, ice dancing, ballroom dancing, horse racing, dog racing, **** fighting, cricket, australian rules football, women's softball, tennis, dirt bike racing, funny car racing, NASCAR, INDY Car, the tour de france, rock climbing, lumberjacking, skiing, archery, badminton, ping pong, canoe, horse jumping, karate, women's boxing, field hockey, handball, ... I could go on all day.

ltfinfan
10-15-2004, 04:25 PM
MAN i don't care

ltfinfan
10-15-2004, 04:29 PM
This is the funniest post I have EVER read on a MB, to compare the boringest sport on earth to the most exciting and to do so seriously :lol:

I'd rather watch the WNBA than a soccer game, I'd rather watch bowling, golf, the X-games, surfing, lawn darts, croquet, polo, water polo, synchronized swimming, diving, figure skating, gymnastics, speed skating, ice dancing, ballroom dancing, horse racing, dog racing, **** fighting, cricket, australian rules football, women's softball, tennis, dirt bike racing, funny car racing, NASCAR, INDY Car, the tour de france, rock climbing, lumberjacking, skiing, archery, badminton, ping pong, canoe, horse jumping, karate, women's boxing, field hockey, handball, ... I could go on all day.

Ditto :D

LIQUID24
10-15-2004, 04:33 PM
I don't even hate soccer, but this guy is so bitter and uninformed it's laughable.

iceblizzard69
10-15-2004, 09:49 PM
... that would be like calling the NFL Champions the "World" Champions or the MLB finals the "World" Series, even though all teams are American club teams.... OH WAIT..

With all the recent soccer-bashing in this forum by typical ignorant Yanks, it's time for me to open their eyes. I'm a fan of both NFL (American football) and soccer (football), maybe soccer moreso. Yes, soccer is called 'football' WORLDWIDE, with the exception of U.S., Canada, and Australia. Don't you think it makes sense? You know, the sport you use your FOOT to kick the BALL all during the game. Why is NFL called "football"?? Beats me.

NFL is always exciting? Then why do I only watch 3 seconds of play for every 1 minute of real time on average? And why do I have to watch 5 minutes of TV commericals for every 2 minutes of "play time"? And why do I have to listen to referees freakin' narrate paragraphs for their penalties and other game delays almost every other play? Where a typical NFL play only last 3-4 seconds before NFL players can catch a "breather", soccer players are running and in-play for two non-stop 45-minute halves. In soccer, there are no timeouts, no "2-minute warning" stoppage, no quarter breaks, no constant and unlimited substitutions, no offense/defense-only teams... my gosh with all the breaks that NFL players get, no wonder you can have fat guys with pop-bellies playing American football! No wonder you can have guys "spike the ball", "slide to the ground", "take a knee", "fair catch", "throw the ball away", just to avoid a tackle even with all the excess Roman-armor protection they wear.

A typical NFL fan like yourself thinks that an NFL score of 21-7 is just that, but it really is 3-1. If soccer players were permitted to also score "3 points" (field goal) as an alternative to your main objective, by kicking the ball from a distance over the goals, soccer players would have a field day.

NFL players wear plastic helmets, excessive padding, and women's tight pants. What kind of sport is this?? American football players celebrate fanatically in groups after making just one tackle. What the heck? You should watch a game of rugby, and then you'll know what real toughness is all about. I won't get into that here, I'll stick to soccer. Soccer players don't have the luxury of departmentalization of American football players. All soccer players play defense, offense, pass, score, etc. There are only 3 substitutions allowed for each team during a game. Soccer players are not given a freakin' direct order from their coach what to do for every single play. The players, not the coaches, decide the games. Handling a soccer ball with your feet is probably one of the most diffcult things to do in sports. Then you see what some of these pros from Europe, Africa, Latin-America do with the ball... WOAH. Plus, your defender is flying into your legs with nasty slides and open cleats like missles. The rules are simple, not over-loaded, and the strategy is wide-open yet simple thus allowing individual talent to prevail. And I don't need you to bring up women's soccer or little league soccer ever again to say how you "watched soccer and made your decision". You need to PLAY it and watch the best men's pro leagues from around the World after you tried playing it several times.

Soccer is more exciting than American football by leaps and bounds. It takes focus, not a short-attention span, to watch soccer. American sports with all the timeouts, delays, and cheerleader-watching, creates a short-attention span for the typical American. Just ask yourself this...who plays American-style football? If it was so exiciting, then why is only the USA and Canada playing it after about 100 years of its existence? Whereas soccer is full-blown in Europe, Africa, South America, Central America, Middle East, and huge chucks of East Asia. And literally every country in the World (from the tiniest and poorest island nations in Oceania to the bigger countries) all have a national team that competes to qualify for the World Cup. If soccer was "so boring", then why is the whole World playing it by majority and passionately except for Canada and U.S.?

(I posted this as a response in the other thread which mocked soccer compared to American "football". Just trying to make the arguement the other way around and maybe point out the abundant flaws in NFL compared to any other sport. Unfortunately, our national sports media is like Communism. They create the opinions of most American sportsfans into believing false stereotypes of other sports and blind glorification of our own sports.)

1. I think football (the American one) is the most exciting sport. Soccer is my second favorite sport behind that.

2. It's a name. Who gives a ****?

3. American football players are extremely tough. If they didn't wear pads, they would die.

4. Yeah, in rugby they don't wear pads, but I still think football is tougher. The hits in football are so much harder than the hits in rugby. Rugby is an extremely tough game though, no doubt about that.

5. Those who diss soccer diss it because they have never seen it, or they don't understand it. Those who understand the game love it. It's the most popular sport in the world for a reason. It's extremely exciting unlike a sport such as baseball (which I have watched a ton of times, something the soccer haters here can't say)

6. Your comment about scoring (21-7 is really 3-1) is just stupid.

nyjunc
10-16-2004, 06:18 AM
5. Those who diss soccer diss it because they have never seen it, or they don't understand it. Those who understand the game love it. It's the most popular sport in the world for a reason. It's extremely exciting unlike a sport such as baseball (which I have watched a ton of times, something the soccer haters here can't say)

Actually I have tried to watch it, my Wife's family loves soccer and they have tried to convert me. I have watched the World Cup, European matches, etc... which they tell me is the best soccer in the world and I am still bored to death. Any sport where the Championship(World Cup) can come down to a shootout is just laughable. Imagine the World Series being tied and they stop the game for a HR derby? or the Super Bowl and they stop it for FG kicking contest? or the NBA Finals and theys top it for a FT shooting contest? It's assanine. The problem I have w/ soccer is not that games are low scoring(as a baseball fan I love a low scoring pitcher's duel) but that the game is mosly played in the middle third of the field and there are so few scoring chances. So I have given an honest effort to like the sport but it's just too boring for me.

iceblizzard69
10-16-2004, 09:38 AM
Actually I have tried to watch it, my Wife's family loves soccer and they have tried to convert me. I have watched the World Cup, European matches, etc... which they tell me is the best soccer in the world and I am still bored to death. Any sport where the Championship(World Cup) can come down to a shootout is just laughable. Imagine the World Series being tied and they stop the game for a HR derby? or the Super Bowl and they stop it for FG kicking contest? or the NBA Finals and theys top it for a FT shooting contest? It's assanine. The problem I have w/ soccer is not that games are low scoring(as a baseball fan I love a low scoring pitcher's duel) but that the game is mosly played in the middle third of the field and there are so few scoring chances. So I have given an honest effort to like the sport but it's just too boring for me.

I disagree but at least you have given it a chance. As for the shootout, it doesn't happen much. First of all, there is no soccer "championship." The World Cup is the biggest competition in terms of international play, but I wouldn't say there is one soccer "championship." There are simply too many levels of the game. It would be like calling Olympic basketball the Championship of basketball (and unlike basketball, in soccer there are many big club leagues, in basketball, the NBA is by far the biggest league, which is why the NBA Champion is considered to be the best team in the world). Shootouts only happen after overtime is given a chance in an elimination game (in a league game, if the two teams are tied after 90 minutes, the game is over). After 120 minutes of playing, something has to be done. If the scores are still in a deadlock after that amount of time, a shootout is needed to determine the champion. It isn't like baseball where you can pretty much go on forever since the players are on the bench half of the time and when they aren't they aren't exactly running constantly the whole time. In soccer, players are running at full speed the whole time. You can't have that go on for more than it currently goes on for.

Prime Time
10-17-2004, 01:22 PM
Soccer is #1....end of story :D

Mebeverine
10-17-2004, 06:18 PM
Soccer is my number 1 love, football is number 2.

I personally think you have to live somewhere where football is life to understand the passion. Passion is 90% of the game.

That's that as far as I'm concerned so can't we all just get along?

minus
10-18-2004, 08:08 AM
Futbol is #1 Perioid.

Prime Time
10-19-2004, 09:24 PM
:rocker:

Bodzilla29
10-25-2004, 11:30 AM

I'd rather watch the WNBA than a soccer game, I'd rather watch bowling, golf, the X-games, surfing, lawn darts, croquet, polo, water polo, synchronized swimming, diving, figure skating, gymnastics, speed skating, ice dancing, ballroom dancing, horse racing, dog racing, **** fighting, cricket, australian rules football, women's softball, tennis, dirt bike racing, funny car racing, NASCAR, INDY Car, the tour de france, rock climbing, lumberjacking, skiing, archery, badminton, ping pong, canoe, horse jumping, karate, women's boxing, field hockey, handball, ...

I could go on all day.

You could go on all day....and you'd still be a muppet.

nyjunc
10-25-2004, 11:35 AM
You could go on all day....and you'd still be a muppet.

Wow that was a good one :rolleyes:

Jwcolour
10-25-2004, 03:44 PM
1. I think football (the American one) is the most exciting sport. Soccer is my second favorite sport behind that.

2. It's a name. Who gives a ****?

3. American football players are extremely tough. If they didn't wear pads, they would die.

4. Yeah, in rugby they don't wear pads, but I still think football is tougher. The hits in football are so much harder than the hits in rugby. Rugby is an extremely tough game though, no doubt about that.

6. Your comment about scoring (21-7 is really 3-1) is just stupid.

I'm not a huge fan of soccer...probably just because it isn't fast paced but I will never hate on it. The point about rubgy you made here is right though. The hits in rugby aren't as vicious, its much more likely to have your ear torn off by a cleat in rugby than to get a concussion.

Mebeverine
10-26-2004, 04:59 AM
The reaosn footballers hit harder is because they are wearing padding. If you hit like that without pads, people would die.

nyjunc
10-26-2004, 05:33 AM
The reaosn footballers hit harder is because they are wearing padding. If you hit like that without pads, people would die.

You could put soccer players in pads too and they wouldn't come close to hitting that hard. NFL players are the biggest and best athletes in the World.

Mebeverine
10-26-2004, 06:22 AM
Plenty of rugby players are the same build as football players. 7 members of England's World Cup winning team from 2003 got invited to play in the NFL.

Soccer players don't have to be that big and there game doesn't involve hitting people, so there's no need for it. Thus making your argument completely irrelevant.

CrunchTime
10-26-2004, 07:24 AM
I am a fan of both sports but you cant compare them.Many soccer fans dont understand why there are so many interuptions in the NFL.Its not a fluid game like soccer.I would compare it more to a combination of rugby with chess.There is a lot of strategy involved and if you dont understand the game its tough to like it.

Soccer on the other hand also has its flaws.Does anyone really like low scoring games were ties are the ultimate goal in many cases ?

Both critics of either sport are off base.Soccer is the most popular game in the world for some reason.NFL is more exciting IMO.

The only point I agree with is the misnomer of "football".Not too much "football" in the NFL.

nyjunc
10-26-2004, 07:30 AM
Plenty of rugby players are the same build as football players. 7 members of England's World Cup winning team from 2003 got invited to play in the NFL.

Soccer players don't have to be that big and there game doesn't involve hitting people, so there's no need for it. Thus making your argument completely irrelevant.

Being "invited" to try out is not offering someone a job and sometimes they do things like that for PR(such as Tony meola signing w/ the Jets in '94). Were they "invited"(i have never heard of this so I am skeptical) to be kickers or regualr players? Either way they would ahve been stomped had they gave it a try.

Mebeverine
10-26-2004, 08:26 AM
Martin Johnson played in the 49ers training camp: he wasn't stomped.

Jonny Wilkensen was offered lucrative contracts to sign for teams and play both running back and kicker (5'11 195 lbs), but as he is Rugby's biggest superstar he declined.

Similar to how Jonah Lomu did in 94. Lomu is 6'5 270 lbs and runs a 4.47 40. He also won 3 strong man contests back in his native New Zealand.

Ben Cohen (6'2 230) spent training camp as a WR with the Saints but also turned down a contract because of his commitments to the England national team.

Anton Oliver (6'2 250) was given the chance ages ago, but wasn't allowed to because of sponsorships etc. He was voted the Toughest Man in World Sport by SI back in 1998.

Sop being so patronizing: it is possible for guys from outside America and outside football to be physical and have the ability to play. Rugby is just as physical as football just without the padding: if they had padding they would be able to hit like footballers do.

Why do you think NFL players wear padding? because there were deaths before they did. In Rugby they outlawed hits above the waist. Both sports suffered fatalities, but the NFL didn't want to lose the exctiement of the big hit, while Rugby didn't want their players to wear pads.

I'm no rugby fan, in fact I hate rugby: your atttiude is, however, ridiculous.

Anyway it makes no difference. Soccer is the king of sports and if you don't agree you are in a minority.

Martel
10-26-2004, 02:44 PM
This is the dumbest thread ever. If you like soccer more than football, that's great.

nyjunc
10-26-2004, 03:20 PM
Anyway it makes no difference. Soccer is the king of sports and if you don't agree you are in a minority.

Soccer is King outside this Country and irrelevant here, always has been and always will be.

That's great that you posted some names and teams but I'd love to see some articles b/c something like that would be done mostly for PR and I'm pretty sure I would have heard of at least a few oft hose stunts.

Mebeverine
10-26-2004, 03:56 PM
Soccer is King outside this Country and irrelevant here, always has been and always will be.

Agreed.

That's great that you posted some names and teams but I'd love to see some articles b/c something like that would be done mostly for PR and I'm pretty sure I would have heard of at least a few oft hose stunts.

LOL, what kind of PR stunts don't get announced?

Anyway, due to your ignorance I did some hunting, and lo and behold. It's from before boht Cohen and Wilkinson had try outs, but long after Lomu's.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/2803133.stm

It doesn't tell the whole story but it at least proves I didn't make it up and it isn't a PR stunt.

nyjunc
10-26-2004, 04:00 PM
He's talking about being a KICKER which is very different than being a regular player. No one doubts Soccer or Rugby players make great Kickers, there is talk of an Australian Rugby player coming over next year to Punt and supposedly he has a tremendous leg so no one doubts they can Punt or Kick. The argument here was about playing and just b/c one os offered a contract or is in camp does not mean they can play. They may be able to play but it might take awhile, see brock lesnar about that. He has some raw ability but the chances he ever becomes a player are remote.

minus
10-26-2004, 04:16 PM
Football is the most view,love and entertaining sports there is in the World.Just ask any person around the world outside of the U.S.

I wonder why American Football hasn't really set the world on fire in Europe since American Football is so much more exciting compared to REAL Football.
Now there only one team outside of Germany left in NFL Europe because Claymore folded.The league consist of only 5 teams and 4 are in Germany.

MLS is actually not doing all that bad in the U.S compared to NFLEurope.

Is not surprising to read the negative opinions on soccer in an American FOOTBALL forum.So much hate on the most beloved sports in the world but there actually people who do care about the sport in the U.S.

Just visit big soccer forum which is one of the biggest forum on the net and is based in the U.S.More than half of the register members are from U.S or now reside here.

Mebeverine
10-26-2004, 04:31 PM
He's talking about being a KICKER which is very different than being a regular player.

Uh-huh, but they tried him out as a running back. In Rugby kickers are players on the field as well, and WIlkinson has blazing speed.

brech10
10-26-2004, 04:37 PM
Its true, football will never be as big as soccer on an international basis. That doesn't make soccer more exciting.

Can you imagine a Chinese football team? Wouldn't be too exciting.
How about Nigeria?

Nope, soccer is the only sport there for a reason.

Mebeverine
10-26-2004, 04:50 PM
How about Nigeria?

Nope, soccer is the only sport there for a reason.

The Nigerian soccer team.

What a dream to watch.

I had the honor of meeting Jay-Jay Okocha last year. Wow, what a guy.

Pink_Dove
10-26-2004, 05:13 PM
Meb i'm interested in knowing how that came up...
Okocha was a wonder to watch in that PSG uniform...Unfortunately he was sometimes inconsistent but in terms of talent...amazing....

Mebeverine
10-27-2004, 05:42 AM
Meb i'm interested in knowing how that came up...
Okocha was a wonder to watch in that PSG uniform...Unfortunately he was sometimes inconsistent but in terms of talent...amazing....

My buddy's girlfriend lives in Chorley, Bolton.

Three of us went up there to stay on July 10th this year for a week in a Travel Inn, only to find that the Inn was within 300 yards of Bolton's stadium. Needless to say we went and had a look around before going bowling. The bowling place is in an industrial estate which backs on to Bolton's stadium, so as we left it we saw a coach pulling up.

Anyway, after much hunting around we discovered it was the Bolton team coach and we snuck past security to get some autographs and watch them train. My buddy Alex, being the loud one, managed to get Jay-Jay and a couple of others to talk to us. He's a great guy - very funny, although it can be hard to make out what he is saying through the accent and the lisp :-P

nyjunc
10-27-2004, 06:04 AM
MLS is actually not doing all that bad in the U.S compared to NFLEurope.

MLS is only doing well in LA where they have an extremely large Mexican population and don't have a football team. I know here in NY the Liberty(WNBA team) outdraw the Metrostars and the metrostars only have any attendance at all b/c they give away free or reduced priced tickets. I honestly don't know how MLS has survived this long as they get ratings lower than infomercials on TV and have poor paid attendance.

iceblizzard69
10-27-2004, 03:10 PM
MLS is only doing well in LA where they have an extremely large Mexican population and don't have a football team. I know here in NY the Liberty(WNBA team) outdraw the Metrostars and the metrostars only have any attendance at all b/c they give away free or reduced priced tickets. I honestly don't know how MLS has survived this long as they get ratings lower than infomercials on TV and have poor paid attendance.

I'm pretty sure the Metros average attendance is better than the Liberty's.

MLS is doing very well in DC, Chicago, LA, and Columbus. Columbus and LA already have their own stadiums, Dallas will have their own next year, and the Metrostars, DC, and Chicago will all have soccer specific stadiums in the next few years. I'm pretty sure the new team in SLC will also get a stadium of their own and I think San Jose is trying to get a stadium as well. Attendance for MLS games continues to get better and teams are now starting to make a profit. The league will not go away any time soon. If it was going to go away, it would have already.

nyjunc
10-27-2004, 04:29 PM
These #s are a bit old but it was all I could find, I don't think they have changed muich and if anything they have gone down for each team. The links below shoe the Metrostars attendance in '98 and the Liberty in '01. The #s are very similar even though the Metrostars play in an 80,000 seat Stadium and the Liberty play in a 20,000 seat Arena. Both #s are inflated b/c both franchises give away a ton of tickets to make their attendance look better.

Metrostars:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipsa/A0766124.html

Liberty:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipsa/A0884231.html

iceblizzard69
10-27-2004, 04:46 PM
These #s are a bit old but it was all I could find, I don't think they have changed muich and if anything they have gone down for each team. The links below shoe the Metrostars attendance in '98 and the Liberty in '01. The #s are very similar even though the Metrostars play in an 80,000 seat Stadium and the Liberty play in a 20,000 seat Arena. Both #s are inflated b/c both franchises give away a ton of tickets to make their attendance look better.

Metrostars:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipsa/A0766124.html

Liberty:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipsa/A0884231.html

Yup, the Metros had better attendance than the Liberty then, and the Metros attendance has gone UP since 1998.

Dolfan02
10-28-2004, 05:26 PM
Soccer is the fastest growing sport in the United States, and thats a proven fact. Statistics show that more young children in the United States play organized soccer over organized little league baseball, football, and basketball. However, soccer is still not yet recognized as mainstream by many Americans. And I believe that is due to the old-timers and traditonalists who run and operate the large media networks who grew up despising soccer because they were not exposed to it early on, so they push the stereotype in the media that soccer is a "foreign sport" or an "alternative sport" or a "women's sport". Yet that is just typical yankee ignorance. If you look at old archives of the US, such as old newspapers from the early 1900's, soccer at one time was the biggest sport in Division 1 college. Soccer games like Harvard versus Princeton were attracting large crowds bigger than the other sports. However, many media outlets turned against soccer and labeled it as a "foreign" and hooligan's sport. They started to only cover football and baseball games and soccer quickly fell out of the mainstream.

However, if anyone with an informed mind looks around the World (because the United States is not the world) it is quite clear that soccer reigns supreme of all the sports. And that is the reason why many Americans are picking up on soccer now, globalisation is bringing the world together and we don't have to rely on our American-centric xenophobic national media for our sports information any longer. We can see the truth now of soccer and see this sport for what it is which has been played since 1000 BC with the ancient Chinese.

I havent read this book but it got great reviews: How Soccer Explains the World ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0066212340/ref=sib_db_rdr/103-6054938-3868663#reader-link)

nyjunc
10-28-2004, 05:59 PM
Statistics show that more young children in the United States play organized soccer over organized little league baseball, football, and basketball.

That has always been the case b/c soccer is the easiest game to play for kids. I'm not saying Soccer is an easy game just at it's basic level it is easier than playing football, basketball or baseball.

CrunchTime
10-28-2004, 07:39 PM
That has always been the case b/c soccer is the easiest game to play for kids. I'm not saying Soccer is an easy game just at it's basic level it is easier than playing football, basketball or baseball.
And cheaper.Not much equipment required.

minus
10-29-2004, 08:53 AM
No,It hasn't always been the case.Look at the statitics from 20 years back.Youth soccer is what will turn the next generation into soccer fans.

Dolphin1184
11-11-2004, 02:44 AM
For god sakes what kind of dolphin fan are you if you insult the sport your team plays in. Otherwise why the **** do you have a dolphins avatar and signature.

Insulting the sport because of its padding is an insult to every player who has gotten injured in this game, including the people who have been paralyzed because of a career ending hit. Last time I check you don't tackle people, ram into or hit people, or anything of that sort in soccer. So what is your point? That football players shouldn't wear padding? What kind of uninformed nonsense is that?

I personally like soccer, and it is fun playing it. But that gives you no right to insult a sport that you seem to hyprocritically be a fan of based on your avatar/signature. Not to mention you insult Americans and their "lack of attention span".

ScottishFin
11-12-2004, 10:58 AM
Thing is though if we all liked the same things it would be a damn boring place to live. :D

Association Football (to give Soccer its proper name) is the biggest participation sport in the world for a reason , all you need is a ball and a patch of spare ground. NO need for uniforms/strips/pitches etc.

NFL is IMO a fantastic sport but not one you can get into lightly. It takes time to understand its nuances and rules, but immmesely satisfying to watch when you grasp what it is all about.

Everyone has the right to an opinion on anything but to come on to a Fins and dis their game is a bit of bad form to say the least. How would you take to it if someone came onto another forum and abused your favourite football team ?

IMO soccer will always be number one for me as its what I was brought up with , I can bet that any person brought up supporting an NFL team will say the same from their side. But the key is to respect each others choices and viewpoints. As I said before if we al lliked the same sports it would be a **** boring place to live

/hippy love in crap over now :D

BTW , i ****in h8 basketball/cricket/rugby and tennis for anyone that wants to argue :P

kud
11-14-2004, 02:43 AM
boo this man!

Boooo!!! Get off the stage!! (starts throwing rotten tomatoes)

kud
11-14-2004, 02:44 AM

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: That post was classic. :roflmao:

Muck
11-14-2004, 11:24 AM
Thing is though if we all liked the same things it would be a damn boring place to live. :D

Association Football (to give Soccer its proper name) is the biggest participation sport in the world for a reason , all you need is a ball and a patch of spare ground. NO need for uniforms/strips/pitches etc.

NFL is IMO a fantastic sport but not one you can get into lightly. It takes time to understand its nuances and rules, but immmesely satisfying to watch when you grasp what it is all about.

Everyone has the right to an opinion on anything but to come on to a Fins and dis their game is a bit of bad form to say the least. How would you take to it if someone came onto another forum and abused your favourite football team ?

IMO soccer will always be number one for me as its what I was brought up with , I can bet that any person brought up supporting an NFL team will say the same from their side. But the key is to respect each others choices and viewpoints. As I said before if we al lliked the same sports it would be a **** boring place to live

/hippy love in crap over now :D

BTW , i ****in h8 basketball/cricket/rugby and tennis for anyone that wants to argue :P

Beat me to it. And it's precisely correct.

You don't need much to play soccer. And that's why it's the most popular in the world. As my boss, who grew up in London, says......"It's a third-world sport. Far less sophisticated than American Football".

He still likes soccer. But it doesn't come close to his love for football. Same goes for his father, who is now a knowledgeable football fan after 11 years in this country. Follows the entire league as well as the Buccaneers.

I'm not knocking soccer or it's players. I respect it. It's not a sport I watch. Just isn't my thing. However, I do watch the women's World Cup (since we're so good at it).

Don't see the need for this thread.

modestophinfan
11-16-2004, 11:23 PM
soccermom soccer is the stupidest sport in the world, i cant stand watching it. the players are little bitches

iceblizzard69
11-16-2004, 11:51 PM
soccermom soccer is the stupidest sport in the world, i cant stand watching it. the players are little bitches

Oh, so you are one of those Colombians who hates soccer?

FinsNYanksFan13
11-17-2004, 12:43 PM
I'm not big on soccer (I certainly don't hate it) and watching the MLS championship game the other day gave me greater respect for the sport. I know a lot of you saw on ESPN that dude that got kicked in the face (with the ball, the guy kicked the ball and is smashed some dude right in the face). That was insane and he wasn't even fazed (at least he didn't show he was). That's one tough SOB in my book. Soccer, although not my favorite sport (as most of u on the board know) it certainly has my RESPECT!

modestophinfan
11-20-2004, 05:35 AM
Oh, so you are one of those Colombians who hates soccer?

ice, if you had taken the time to read my comment to the full, instead of makinga assumptions as to what i meant, you would have saw that i included the word "soccermom". yes, i believe that the american "soccermom" form of soccer has been sissified. if you go to ares w/ concentrations of latinos in the US, you would see that they play a completely different style of soccer, not the "touch and you get a penalty type" why are you alwasys trying to start **** w/ me anyway?

iceblizzard69
11-20-2004, 11:04 AM
ice, if you had taken the time to read my comment to the full, instead of makinga assumptions as to what i meant, you would have saw that i included the word "soccermom". yes, i believe that the american "soccermom" form of soccer has been sissified. if you go to ares w/ concentrations of latinos in the US, you would see that they play a completely different style of soccer, not the "touch and you get a penalty type" why are you alwasys trying to start **** w/ me anyway?

This thread is discussing professional soccer, which we play just fine in the USA.