PDA

View Full Version : Spyware/Adware protection

iceblizzard69
10-18-2004, 08:22 PM
Does anyone here know of any free programs that can help me get rid of spyware and adware? I can't take these popups. They started to appear today, I ran virus scan (which is supposed to protect me against popups too) and it didn't do anything.

LIQUID24
10-18-2004, 08:45 PM
They say SpySweeper is pretty good. Myself, I get virtually no pop-ups with Mozilla Firefox.

ohall
10-18-2004, 08:56 PM
Here's a good LINK to help you out Ice.

http://www.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=76462

Mindwarp
10-18-2004, 09:17 PM
the yahoo toolbar has one of the best spyware removers i have come across..

its better then adaware and spybot.. it also has a pop up blocker..
if you use IE get it.

http://toolbar.yahoo.com

Deez Nutz
10-18-2004, 10:24 PM
I use Ad-Aware, and SbyBot Search and Destroy

BigFinFan
10-18-2004, 11:13 PM
I use Norton Internet Security 2005. You can pick it up on www.lokitorrent.com. IT is the best on the market. It has anti-virus, spam blocker for e-mail, and firewall.

FIN-IN-RI
10-18-2004, 11:29 PM
I would recommend a FIREWALL as preventive Maintincence. McAfee has a great personal/adjustable firewall.. In addition to McAfee, PestPatrol is also a great program, in which, it stops harmful cookies that facilitate spyware installation from being stored on your computer. These two programs will assure that you never get Spyware again.

As far as removel - Spybot used in conjunction with AD-Aware is very productive. A registry cleaner will also bleach your registry of any broken and invalid keys that are clogging it up due to spyware and uinistalled programs. Be careful with a Registry cleaner as you can delete useful keys that would harm your system without realizing it. Registry Medic is a top of the line cleaner.

iceblizzard69
10-18-2004, 11:30 PM
Thanks for all the help. I'll definitely be trying some of those things out.

BigFinFan
10-18-2004, 11:42 PM
Nice call on the registry cleaner. I also use System Mechanic Professional from iolo (http://www.iolo.com).

System Mechanic® 5 Professional is a totally integrated suite of powerful PC tools that will keep your system running smooth, fast, and error-free. Solve stubborn and frustrating problems and prevent them from reoccurring; automatically maintain your computer for peak performance, speed, and reliability; protect against viruses, hackers, trojans, e-mail worms, and Internet threats; eliminate dangerous spyware and malware parasites; ensure personal and Internet privacy and security; recover lost or deleted files, documents, photos, music, and e-mail; and much more!

It can also be found on www.lokitorrent.com. Or you can download it from my FTP Site, which also has Norton Internet Security 2005. PM me for info!

Dajesus
10-19-2004, 05:18 AM
I will now give you the blue print to never have a pop-up or spyware on your computer again. This is basicly 85% of what I do at work every day.

It may seem like alot but follow it step by step, and it easy. Go to google.com. Search lavasoft the 3rd link on the page is what you want. Download adaware 1.05, and then update it. Do the same thing for,spybot search and destroy, trojan hunter. If you can buy spysweeper. I hated version 2.6, but 3.0 is great. Install and update. Download x-cleaner. Download google toolbar. All of those besides spy sweeper are free.

Now it is time to clean restart you machine, but tap the F8 key when starting up and go in to safemode. Go to the start button, select my computer, and open the the c drive. Go to the tools menu at on the top toolbar, and se;ect folder options.Hit the tab that sais veiw. The 2nd folder you will see the radio button that sais show hidden folders select that option, and hit apply then ok. Now go back to the C drive and choose documents and settings. double click the first user, and you will see a folder that sais local settings. Double click the temp folder, and hit edit at the top of the screen then select all. When all are selected hit delete Do the same in the temp internet folder, and then do that to every user account on your machine. When that is done run the programs you downloaded in this order, spybot, adaware, trojan hunter, spysweeper, cwshredder, x cleaner, and then run your antivirus program.

Now the pc is clean. If you have XP restart, and go to windows update. Install SP2. If you buy spysweeper it will stop spyware from comming back. SP2 will stop pop-ups as will google toolbar. Now your done. The only side note is if you are using kazza, winmx, imesh...you will be doing this ever other month. If you do download stuff use kazza lite orbittorent.

That is for XP. If it is an OS before xp all those temp file I told you to delete they will be located in the windows file on the C drive.

Follow those steps and you will be amazed.

paq7512
10-19-2004, 08:20 PM
I will now give you the blue print to never have a pop-up or spyware on your computer again. This is basicly 85% of what I do at work every day.

It may seem like alot but follow it step by step, and it easy. Go to google.com. Search lavasoft the 3rd link on the page is what you want. Download adaware 1.05, and then update it. Do the same thing for,spybot search and destroy, trojan hunter. If you can buy spysweeper. I hated version 2.6, but 3.0 is great. Install and update. Download x-cleaner. Download google toolbar. All of those besides spy sweeper are free.

Now it is time to clean restart you machine, but tap the F8 key when starting up and go in to safemode. Go to the start button, select my computer, and open the the c drive. Go to the tools menu at on the top toolbar, and se;ect folder options.Hit the tab that sais veiw. The 2nd folder you will see the radio button that sais show hidden folders select that option, and hit apply then ok. Now go back to the C drive and choose documents and settings. double click the first user, and you will see a folder that sais local settings. Double click the temp folder, and hit edit at the top of the screen then select all. When all are selected hit delete Do the same in the temp internet folder, and then do that to every user account on your machine. When that is done run the programs you downloaded in this order, spybot, adaware, trojan hunter, spysweeper, cwshredder, x cleaner, and then run your antivirus program.

Now the pc is clean. If you have XP restart, and go to windows update. Install SP2. If you buy spysweeper it will stop spyware from comming back. SP2 will stop pop-ups as will google toolbar. Now your done. The only side note is if you are using kazza, winmx, imesh...you will be doing this ever other month. If you do download stuff use kazza lite orbittorent.

That is for XP. If it is an OS before xp all those temp file I told you to delete they will be located in the windows file on the C drive.

Follow those steps and you will be amazed.

Good Advice. I have Spysweeper and Sybot. They are a great team

Dajesus
10-21-2004, 02:59 AM
Did anyone take my adivice? I am interested in feedback.

paq7512
10-21-2004, 07:23 PM
Did you not read my post. I said good advice.

10-21-2004, 07:37 PM

I printed out your post, and I am going to give it a shot when I get a chance. I'll let you know.

Muck
10-21-2004, 10:10 PM
It is important to note, however, that nothing gets out everything. There's always going to be new or undiscovered stuff out there. I submit an average of 1-2 new objects a week to the various spyware companies. But by running several programs, you (obviously) greatly raise your odds of success (cleanliness).

I also would advise against installing Service Pack 2 unless you are a professional. Your system needs to be in tip top shape before you even think about installing it, as any number of spyware programs can result in the hosing of your installation. And if that happens, you can pretty much kiss Windows goodbye. Format time. Uninstalling SP2 (if you're having problems) is almost always unsuccessful.

Even if you complete a successful installtion, there are still plenty of issues out there with Service Pack 2. Many programs still do not function properly with SP2 installed.

My advice on Service Pack 2, as with every Service Pack Microsoft offers, is to wait a few more months. This kind of thing happens every time they release a SP (regardless of OS). These are some of the reasons why you need to be leery of installing this update. I break hearts daily with the diagnosis (more like wallets).

As for antivirus and software firewall products, I highly recommend Trend Micro's PC-cillin. It is an excellent all-in-one that uses considerably less resources than Symantec/Norton or McAfee.

FIN-IN-RI
10-21-2004, 10:49 PM
Pest-Patrol is the best way to go.. :up:

You will thank me after you use it. I dont even need a firewall w/it.

Rafiki
10-21-2004, 11:20 PM
I use Ad-Aware, and SbyBot Search and DestroyDitto. I also use AVG antivirus + ZoneAlarm Firewall (free as well).

Dajesus
10-22-2004, 01:39 AM
It is important to note, however, that nothing gets out everything. There's always going to be new or undiscovered stuff out there. I submit an average of 1-2 new objects a week to the various spyware companies. But by running several programs, you (obviously) greatly raise your odds of success (cleanliness).

I also would advise against installing Service Pack 2 unless you are a professional. Your system needs to be in tip top shape before you even think about installing it, as any number of spyware programs can result in the hosing of your installation. And if that happens, you can pretty much kiss Windows goodbye. Format time. Uninstalling SP2 (if you're having problems) is almost always unsuccessful.

Even if you complete a successful installtion, there are still plenty of issues out there with Service Pack 2. Many programs still do not function properly with SP2 installed.

My advice on Service Pack 2, as with every Service Pack Microsoft offers, is to wait a few more months. This kind of thing happens every time they release a SP (regardless of OS). These are some of the reasons why you need to be leery of installing this update. I break hearts daily with the diagnosis (more like wallets).

As for antivirus and software firewall products, I highly recommend Trend Micro's PC-cillin. It is an excellent all-in-one that uses considerably less resources than Symantec/Norton or McAfee.

I am going to nerd this forum up some more. Muck is right if your computer is at all infected with viruses, and spyware SP2 can F up your computer. If you run everything I told you to run, and then run adaware and spybot again just to make sure your system is clean I would gauruntee SP2 won't screw up your system. It really is a great program. Interesting side note to SP2 it provides spyware protection and a firewall for free. This is something that Microsoft wanted to provide as many as 6 years ago, but weren't allowed to becuase the government was veiwing it as a monopoly if microsoft could enter the feild of security they could put other companies like Symantec and McAfee out of buisness. After many years Microsoft finally found a way to help its users protect their computers.

I have to disagree with you about PC Chillin. I don't dislike the program, but I am in the very small % of people that understand how anti-virus programs run and can protect my computer. When you recomend a anti-virus program to the general public you have to remember 90% of the people you are talking to are complete morons on the subject. I look at it like this when i am putting anything on anyones computer, would my 60 year old mom be able to use this. My 60 year old mom wouldn't be able to get on the internet if I moved the IE icon from the top left of her screen to the bottom right. That is why the only anti-virus program I will install is NAV. I can set it up so, my mom doesn't ever have to touch it or see it for her to protect her PC. Is it what I use on my PC? No, but it is idiot proof. The only thing the user has to remember is when it pops up and starts scanning don't touch it. Everyother anti-virus program is much more complicated for that 90% of the population to maintain.

Muck
10-22-2004, 09:54 AM
Oh I agree with you wholeheartedly there. And it's the reason why NAV is the only antivirus program we sell. It's extremely easy to use and takes care of itself. And it's funny you use the mother analogy (cuz that's what I use too. lol). But with so many people inquiring about firewalls and such.....and wanting us to install them but not spend a lot of money......we're looking into distributors for PC-cillin as well.

BigFinFan
10-22-2004, 02:15 PM
Oh I agree with you wholeheartedly there. And it's the reason why NAV is the only antivirus program we sell. It's extremely easy to use and takes care of itself. And it's funny you use the mother analogy (cuz that's what I use too. lol). But with so many people inquiring about firewalls and such.....and wanting us to install them but not spend a lot of money......we're looking into distributors for PC-cillin as well.

I will still recommend NIS2005 to anybody. It is very easy to set up, configure, and maintain. Although, I know for a fact that my mom would not be able to use it.

We (USN) rely soley on NAV for protection. We need something that is "idiot" proof with all of the rocks that we have in the fleet. I am amazed on a daily basis of how CI (computer illeterate) some people are.

10-22-2004, 03:55 PM

I took your advice on my computer at work. Except for installing SP2. (muck has me worried - if it crashes now I would be F'd) Didn't really help things. But, it's kind of a POS anyway, so maybe this is the best it can run.

oh well.

Muck
10-22-2004, 10:34 PM
Something else that can work wonders..........defragmenting your hard drive.

Yeah, it seems kinda overrated nowdays with Windows XP. The problem is, Windows XP doesn't do a very good job of it. Once you find a program that's actually good at it, you could see a rather large increase in performance.

I swear by Executive Software's Diskeeper. Quite an excellent program.

BigFinFan
10-23-2004, 02:42 AM
Gonna have to refer you once again to Iolo's System Mechanic Professional 5.0. IT has defrag and registry compat and defrag as well. It is a great program and very easy to use. It is on my site for d/l....give it a try!

FIN-IN-RI
10-23-2004, 10:40 AM
Something else that can work wonders..........defragmenting your hard drive.

Yeah, it seems kinda overrated nowdays with Windows XP. The problem is, Windows XP doesn't do a very good job of it. Once you find a program that's actually good at it, you could see a rather large increase in performance.

I swear by Executive Software's Diskeeper. Quite an excellent program.

By far the best defrag out there...

FIN-IN-RI
10-23-2004, 10:40 AM
Gonna have to refer you once again to Iolo's System Mechanic Professional 5.0. IT has defrag and registry compat and defrag as well. It is a great program and very easy to use. It is on my site for d/l....give it a try!

system mechanic hogs resources and crashed my comp... I wouldnt rreccomend it. I uninstalled it as soon as i installed it.

BigFinFan
10-23-2004, 12:31 PM
system mechanic hogs resources and crashed my comp... I wouldnt rreccomend it. I uninstalled it as soon as i installed it.

IS it the latest version? The registry defrag is great!

I installed Pest Patrol and it works great - thanks!