PDA

View Full Version : Film Festival Reviews - Must read for movie watchers

Fresh
10-19-2004, 06:06 PM
Since my Uncle is in the film business, I always get to go to the Film Festivals, which debut many upcoming movies. I went to the one today, and I was able to see "Seed Of Chucky", "Crash", "Ray", and "Saw". I cannot say I wasted my time, that's for sure. For the most part, these movies were excellent. In "Ray" and "Crash" I believe I saw two upcoming classics.

First off, "Seed Of Chucky" is a hilarious film. The Child's Play franchise has went from flat out scary to flat out hilarious. Child's Play 1 was a class, Child's Play 2 sucked, Child's Play 3 was decent, Bride Of Chucky was a nice way to bounce back and was funny, and this new one is extremely funny. The movie is basically about Chucky & Tiffany raising their child, which they had at the end of the last Child's Play, into a hell raiser. The death scenes are hilarious, and the Killer Doll Family(Chucky, Tiffany, and their child Glen or Glenda - LOL, you have to be the judge on his sex) made the movie entertaining. I can't really sum this movie up without ruining the best parts of it, so I don't wonna go there. However, if you're looking for a flat out horror flick, unfortunately, this is not the movie to see.

Rating: 6/10
Standout(s): Brad Dourif, Jennifer Tilly, Billy Boyd
Surprise(s): Redman, on a good note
Disappointment(s): Hannah Spearritt

Oh boy, we have ourselves a classic in the film, "Crash". Sandra Bullock deserves an oscar nomination from this film, but so does Matt Dillon. Those two had very strong roles and their characters were quite easy to connect with. I thought Larenz Tate did a great job in this movie and he better get some offers to star in high class films, because the man can act. I saw this from Menace 2 Society and Dead Presidents, but he stands out in this one again with a more limited role. Larenz Tate and Ludacris were a funny pair in this movie. The movie is basically about a car accident in Los Angeles that brings a group of strangers together and they tell their stories. The characters are like roller coasters to me, you really just don't know what to expect. Sandra Bullock has her life is thrown into sh*t when her car is carjacked by two black thugs, who complain about being stereotyped by white people. I don't care for Sandra Bullock, but she was AMAZING in this film. Matt Dillon plays a racist cop who, after pulling over a black couple, fondles the woman, while humiliating her husband who already has enough problems with the "soft" racism at the Hollywood studio he works for.

Rating: 9.5/10
Standout(s): Sandra Bullock, Matt Dillon, Larenz Tate, Thandie Newton, Ryan Phillippe
Surprise(s): Ludacris, on a good note(hmm...rappers are starting to act good?)
Disappointment(s): NONE - the entire cast was GREAT

"Ray" reminded me a lot of my favorite movie from 2002, "Antwone Fisher". I don't care for the "touchy stories", but this one grabs your attention and doesn't give it back to you until you walk out of the theatre. The movie was excellent. Jamie Foxx did a great job in his role, acting as a man who fought extremely hard and never stopped working...eventually to make it to where nobody expected him to be. He walks around by himself and does his own stuff as a blind man, sometimes without help. He really did a nice job connecting with the actors. I wanted them to make a movie about Quincy Jones, but he has a small role in this movie, played by Larenz Tate. This is one of those movies that you have to see for yourself. Jamie Foxx MUST get nominated for an oscar after his performance in this movie. Hell, if not this one, give it to him for his performance in "Collateral". My only knock on this movie, and this one will be a huge knock from critics, is the length. It's about 150-160 minutes. You're either gonna love this movie, or you're not gonna feel it at all.

Rating: 8.5/10
Standouts: Jamie Foxx,
Surprise Perfomance: Bokeem Woodbine, on a good note
Disappointments: Not an actor, just the length of this one

"Saw" was a pretty good movie. The plot and the concept of trying to figure the movie out was similar to the Bone Collector. I didn't like that(TBC) movie at all. However, "Saw" had too many plotholes. The only thing that keeps you up is the sense of wanting to know how the movie ends, and there were some suspense moments alone that keep you from rating this movie a 1-5. The movie is basically about a serial killer who was named "Jigsaw" from the police because of his misterious calling card. Of course, your strongest performance comes from Danny Glover.

Rating: 5.5/10
Standout(s): Danny Glover, Cary Elwes
Surprise(s): N/A
Disappointment(s): Leigh Whannell - wasn't he suppose to reach stardom after this film??