PDA

View Full Version : Joe Buck

FinsNYanksFan13
10-23-2004, 11:03 PM
I think it's stupid for FOX to be having him do this particular World Series since he is the Cardinals everyday announcer (except on Saturday's and playoffs when he works for FOX) and his father was for 100 years before that. He's obviously a Cardinals fan since he grew up around the team with his pops and eventually took over for him when he passed. Even though you probably won't hear him announcing the game towards the Cardinals, it's obvious he is a fan. It may sound corny and childish but I think FOX should of went with another voice for the World Series. I like Joe Buck (announcing baseball, not football) but I just think in this case he should of maybe done game for the Cardinals radio, since his allegiance is so obvious to anyone who really knows baseball!

Peebs
10-23-2004, 11:13 PM
How is that any different with McCarver doing the ALCS and he's the regular FOX Yankee announcer?

FinsNYanksFan13
10-23-2004, 11:21 PM
Dude, u don't know what your talking about. He's FOX'S ANNOUNCER, no the Yankees annoucer. He only does Yankee games when they are the FOX game of the week (which is practically every week). Michael Kay, Jim Kaat, Bobby Murcer, and Ken Singleton are the Yankees announcers. They do every Yankee games (except for playoffs and FOX games) just like Buck does every Cardinals game!

Martel
10-23-2004, 11:53 PM
I hear what your saying, but they had to stick with Buck. Do you think they were going to wait to see what happened in the Stros/Cards game then hire a new announcer on Friday?? He has his roots, but he's a pro, he'll do fine.

PS- I don't think Peebs is a "dude".

FIN-IN-RI
10-23-2004, 11:53 PM
I hear what your saying, but they had to stick with Buck. Do you think they were going to wait to see what happened in the Stros/Cards game then hire a new announcer on Friday?? He has his roots, but he's a pro, he'll do fine.

I hear no bias whatsoever. Yet.

Jimmy James
10-23-2004, 11:58 PM
Honestly, I think it's probably least fair to Buck. I have to think he'll be watching himself very closely. I really don't have a problem with it simply because I shudder to think who Fox (network of idiots like Darrell Waltrip and Troy Aikman) would sub in for him...

FIN-IN-RI
10-24-2004, 12:01 AM
Honestly, I think it's probably least fair to Buck. I have to think he'll be watching himself very closely. I really don't have a problem with it simply because I shudder to think who Fox (network of idiots like Darrell Waltrip and Troy Aikman) would sub in for him...

I agree JJ. I haven;t heard bias from Buck at all. FOX needs to have their Emmy winning announcer calling the WS no matter what team he calls for during the season.

I do have to say though that I enjoy Aikman on Fox Sunday's.

Jimmy James
10-24-2004, 12:04 AM
Strangely (or not since I'm now in Redskins country), I don't hear much of Aikman nowadays. It's possible that he has improved and is not bad on a Phil Sims level any more. I remember him being absolutely brutal that first year, though.

iceblizzard69
10-24-2004, 10:04 AM
I think it's stupid for FOX to be having him do this particular World Series since he is the Cardinals everyday announcer (except on Saturday's and playoffs when he works for FOX) and his father was for 100 years before that. He's obviously a Cardinals fan since he grew up around the team with his pops and eventually took over for him when he passed. Even though you probably won't hear him announcing the game towards the Cardinals, it's obvious he is a fan. It may sound corny and childish but I think FOX should of went with another voice for the World Series. I like Joe Buck (announcing baseball, not football) but I just think in this case he should of maybe done game for the Cardinals radio, since his allegiance is so obvious to anyone who really knows baseball!

His father was the Cubs announcer, not the Cardinals one....

Peebs
10-24-2004, 10:18 AM
Dude, u don't know what your talking about. He's FOX'S ANNOUNCER, no the Yankees annoucer. He only does Yankee games when they are the FOX game of the week (which is practically every week). Michael Kay, Jim Kaat, Bobby Murcer, and Ken Singleton are the Yankees announcers. They do every Yankee games (except for playoffs and FOX games) just like Buck does every Cardinals game!

first off, it's "Dudette". ;)

Second FOX 5 local was the Yankee "free" station before the "Yes" network and AFTER McCarver worked for the Mets on WOR 9 he became a Yankee announcer on the WB11 BEFORE they became the local Mets station. So don't tell ME he isn't biased towards the Yankees because he IS.
Sometimes McCarver gushes so much over the Yankees he should just go to MA with Torre and freaking MARRY him. :rolleyes:

ltfinfan
10-25-2004, 04:40 PM
buck does a great job........

nyjunc
10-25-2004, 05:43 PM
I think Curt Gowdy calle dthe '75 Series and he was a Red Sox announcer, did you have a problem w/ it then? Vin Scully announced the Dodgers-A's series in '88 and he was the Dodgers announcer. Buck is a professional and he's not rooting on the air, it's not like Chip caray calling a Braves game. he may be rooting inside but on the outside he is very professional.

nyjunc
10-25-2004, 05:44 PM
How is that any different with McCarver doing the ALCS and he's the regular FOX Yankee announcer?

McCarver hasn't announced Yankee games in 3 or 4 years.

Jimmy James
10-25-2004, 05:45 PM
I think Curt Gowdy calle dthe '75 Series and he was a Red Sox announcer, did you have a problem w/ it then? Vin Scully announced the Dodgers-A's series in '88 and he was the Dodgers announcer. Buck is a professional and he's not rooting on the air, it's not like Chip caray calling a Braves game. he may be rooting inside but on the outside he is very professional.

Never call any Braves announcer professional. :tongue:

nyjunc
10-25-2004, 05:49 PM
Never call any Braves announcer professional. :tongue:

I didn't, I said Buck was NOT like Chip Caray in that Buck IS professional.

Jimmy James
10-25-2004, 06:05 PM
Ah, I misread. My bad. :)