PDA

View Full Version : Vonage?

Jimmy James
10-30-2004, 11:55 PM
Is anybody here using Vonage or a service like Vonage for their telephone service? I'm considering taking the plunge, and I'm looking for good information from users. I appreciate anybody who is willing to go out and do web searches for information, but I have that angle covered. I'm just really trying to see if anybody has done this and to establish a place where I can tell you folks about my own experiences if I do it...

LIQUID24
10-31-2004, 12:06 AM
I don't know much about it, but another guy from another MB started a thread on this. He loves it. I could post it if you want.

Jimmy James
10-31-2004, 12:16 AM
That would be excellent. Thanks.

LIQUID24
10-31-2004, 12:30 AM
We'll call this guy "angy":

Vonage Ip Phone ... I Recommend It

I have a small side business doing Web Design and IT Consulting and I make quite a few long distance calls. So I signed up for Vonage IP Phone. For those who don't know, IP Phone goes over your broadband internet connection like a cable modem. It's a little unit that goes between your cable modem and your router (or computer) and then you run a phone cord from it to any wall jack and it powers every jack in the house.

The clarirty is perfect. It has caller ID, call waiting, 911 dialing, all that s--t.

But the REALLY cool s--t is:

UNLIMITED free long distance. for $24.95 you can call anywhere in the US and Canada and talk forever, for nothing.

Additional long distance numbers. For like $5 more a month you can get an additional number with any area code. For instance, I have a lot of friends in Charlotte, NC so I have a (704) local Charlotte number and when they call it, it's local for them and it rings in my house.

Toll free 800 number for $4.95 extra. You get 100 incoming minutes a month and you have your own toll free 800 number that anyone can call at no charge to them.

Voicemail. When you get a new message, it emails you and you could listen to it as a WAV file on any computer.

Call tracking. You can log into your account on any computer and see a list of calls (with name and number) that you've gotten.

This thing even works with my house alarm. And it essentially eliminates the need for any incoming telephone line. Mine is disconnected from the house. I'd love to see the day when some punk cuts my phone line and trys to break into my house thinking he's safe.

I bought a $50 battery backup incase the power goes out but to be honest, my phone used to get knocked out with every major storm faster than my power. If your broadband signal goes down, you can set it up to have your calls automatically go to a cell phone or another phone until the signal is repaired. This hasn't happened yet in 3 months.

If any of you guys are seriously considering signing up, let me know because I get a free month. As many people as you sign up, you get as many months free. Unlimited. I've had it for 3 months and haven't paid a dime yet.

EDIT: He also added this later in the thread:

1- They express mailed me an install package the day I signed up. Got it in 2 days. Took me ... no s--t ... 3 minutes to hook it up. Not a second more.

2- You can keep your existing number. They fax a request to your current phone company and give you a temporary number to pass out to your people. It does take about 3 weeks for your number to transfer though because the phone companies are pricks about it naturally. But there is a law being passed now I believe that requires local phone companies to transfer within a shorter time period.

Muck
10-31-2004, 12:43 AM
Word to yo mutha.

Muck
10-31-2004, 11:10 AM
I've never heard of Vontage before this (sounds really cool). My ISP (RoadRunner/Bright House) has been offering their "Digital Phone" for awhile now. All the same features. However, it's $39.99 a month. And it doesn't include Canada.

Vontage sounds really good to me. My only question would be whether or not it's still affordable in a business environment (multiple lines, etc).