PDA

View Full Version : no stoppin the Heat

nick1
11-10-2004, 05:09 PM
they are on fire, nobody can stop them. I welcome the Pacers, they can't stand up to the heat :fire:

Bodzilla29
11-12-2004, 02:39 PM
haha Dallas ripped the Heat a new one last night, and now Peanut is injured too.

Fresh
11-12-2004, 08:50 PM
haha Dallas ripped the Heat a new one last night, and now Peanut is injured too.

If you know anything about basketball, no team in the NBA would've stopped Dallas last night. I'm not hating on Dallas, I'm complimenting them. Did you actually watch the game? Haslem was all up in Dirk's face and he was still wet. Nobody in the NBA could've stopped that, so I don't care. If you ask me, 4-1 is a great start, especially with a "70%" healthy Shaq AND Eddie Jones in a huge slump.

And Peanut? Hmmm...that's a new one, and pretty stupid too.

PHINATIC13
11-12-2004, 09:31 PM
And SA will do the same.

Fresh
11-12-2004, 10:57 PM
And SA will do the same.
Yes, without Dwyane Wade. :rolleyes:

San Antonio is not as good as advertised. We are going to lose this game, but we're giving them trouble with no wade AND Shaq & Jones in foul trouble from the 1st quarter.

DolphinDevil28
11-13-2004, 01:12 AM
Go Magic.

nick1
11-13-2004, 08:23 AM
the Magic are going to be the "surprise" team this year, they have alot of talent but people still overlook them. Looks like Grant Hill is back to his old self

Fresh
11-13-2004, 04:05 PM
Orlando will finish behind Miami and Washington, IMO.

Bodzilla29
11-13-2004, 07:33 PM
Miami is overrated in my opinion to be honest. You have three legitimate nba players, and a bunch of wannabees. If one of your legitimate players goes down for any length of time the Heat are screwed.

Ya I watched the Dallas game. Miami had no defense. Dallas continually had open jumpers and couldn't keep anybody out of the lane. Dirk is a special player and will get his, no doubt. Haslem just doesn't have the height/skill to stick with him. But there is no excuses for letting Daniels go off like that, even though he is a good player. Game was over in like 5 minutes.

Miami is a good team, but I don't think they are contenders. Not yet anyway, maybe they will overwhelm and impress me more in the next few months.

DolphinDevil28
11-13-2004, 08:43 PM
Orlando will finish behind Miami and Washington, IMO.

We shall see, my friend.

kud
11-14-2004, 02:33 AM
Miami is overrated in my opinion to be honest. You have three legitimate nba players, and a bunch of wannabees. If one of your legitimate players goes down for any length of time the Heat are screwed.

Miami will be the #1 seed come June 6th if all of our players remain healthy. Nobody in the East can beat us. Overrated?

Btw, Udonis Haslem has had a productive year thus far. So that's makes 4 :D .

Fresh
11-14-2004, 03:39 AM
Miami will be the #1 seed come June 6th if all of our players remain healthy. Nobody in the East can beat us. Overrated?

Btw, Udonis Haslem has had a productive year thus far. So that's makes 4 :D .

Okay, I don't care if Detroit is 3-3 right now. They are still the team to beat in the East.

Right now, you can debate Miami & Indiana for the 2nd best team, but until Detroit gets stopped...let's give them their credit as the team to beat in the East.

And yeah, Udonis Haslem will be underrated for the remainder of his career due to his size and the fact that he has Shaq next to him. He isn't a perimeter defender, so he's gonna have trouble with the Dirk's of the league. Haslem is one of the hardest workers in the league. I mean, look at his body frame right now. Can you believe this guy was OVERWEIGHT at UF? He has busted his *** to get where he is, and he's doing a damn good job right now. I've never seen a 6'8/228 power forward rebound as well as he has. He's a damn good player and he was damn good last year, as well. Haslem is a solid player right now, not a "wannabe".

I'd call him the 3rd best player on the team if Eddie Jones wasn't such a good defender. Although EJ's in a huge slump, the man still shuts people down. I remember LeBron having about 15 in the first half, then when Rasual switched off to Harris & EJ started defending LeBron, he was a 100% non-factor in the second half.

The "wannabe" statement was flat-out ridiculous, and must've came from a "wannabe" Stephen A. Smith. Haslem, Damon Jones, and Rasual Butler are all good role players. Say what you want about Michael Doleac, but he knows what he can and can't do and doesn't kill the team trying to do much more, like a true "wannabe" would do. He's efficient when he's in there. Wesley Person is old and is nothing but a shade of his old self, but he's still a sharp shooter and not a "wannabe".

The only player on this roster that I'd call a "wannabe" is Malik Allen. He's got a nice shooting touch, but I feel like turning the TV off after he's been in there for more than 15 minutes. He's a good player for 10-15 minutes to come in there and score, but he's a liability when recieving 15+ minutes. Having Allen on the floor for more than 15 minutes is setting your team up for failure. Malik's a goof and he's prone to making stupid passes and not being able to hold on to Wade's Sports Center-like passes. Although he's got good footwork, he's pretty easy to expose, that's all...

TerryTate
11-14-2004, 04:33 AM
The only player on this roster that I'd call a "wannabe" is Malik Allen. He's got a nice shooting touch, but I feel like turning the TV off after he's been in there for more than 15 minutes. He's a good player for 10-15 minutes to come in there and score, but he's a liability when recieving 15+ minutes. Having Allen on the floor for more than 15 minutes is setting your team up for failure. Malik's a goof and he's prone to making stupid passes and not being able to hold on to Wade's Sports Center-like passes. Although he's got good footwork, he's pretty easy to expose, that's all...

Malik also gets trigger-happy way too often....that annoys me

Bodzilla29
11-15-2004, 12:43 PM
The "wannabe" statement was flat-out ridiculous, and must've came from a "wannabe" Stephen A. Smith.

Hahah I hate Stephen A. Smith. Fact of the matter is, for a "contender" Doleac, Damon Jones, Haslem, Butler, Person probobly wont get it done. They are nobodys that have bounced around the league. Doleac is God awful average, Damon Jones has had about 1 good year in 10, Butler is starting by default and person hasn't been a contributer since his 3rd year in the league. Haslem looks pretty good, but I think he wont be able to cut it against the top notch PFs in this league night in night out.

I could be wrong, but I highly doubt I will be. Not exactly going out on a limb in stating that those players are distinctively AVERAGE.

If they didn't play in Miami what would your thoughts be on them?

Fresh
11-15-2004, 06:43 PM
If they didn't play in Miami what would your thoughts be on them?

First of all, hate on Stephen A. Smith all you want, but he's got more basketball knowledge than me and you put together.

Second of all, I never said any of those players were above average, save Haslem...who is playing at atleast a "better than average" level right now. Not being able to contain a superstar does not make you just an average player. As far as I'm concerned, Baron Davis couldn't contain Dwyane Wade in last year's first round.

Oh, and my thoughts on the players you mentioned if they weren't on the Heat? Sure:

1.Doleac - I always laughed at Doleac on the court. But my thoughts are the same about it. He's a decent player who knows his limits and doesn't kill the team trying to do what he can't. He's not a difference maker, but he's a good backup center, which is all he's been asked to be.

2.Damon Jones - Ask anybody on here, I raved about him before Miami signed him, and you can go look that up if you care to. He can make a contribution as a starter in this league. The guy is one of the better passers out there and is probably one of the best shooting point guards you'll find. Last year he was asked to fill in for T.J. Ford after an unfortunate injury, and he did a damn good job. What, did you not care to research his 2003-2004 statistics when starting/logging in 30+ minutes? It's somewhere around 12 ppg & 7apg. Also, go look up Chauncy Billups' comments from the first round last year...even he admitted that Jones was a very good player and one of the better passers he has faced all year. FYI, Michael Redd lobbied for the front office to retain Jones.

3.Raz - He has played on his team his entire career, so for me to make a comment about what I would think of him if he was on another team would be premature. I always looked at Butler as a career-long sharp shooter who could drive to the basket and has the long arms needed to develop into a good perimeter defender. He's not all there yet, but he's growing.

4.Wes Person - He's nothing but a sharp shooter to this team in the first place, so he doesn't need to be a Kobe Bryant. Person was always a top shooter, hell, probably one of the better long-range shooters to ever play in this league. I liked him a lot when he was with Memphis, but obviously his best days are behind him. I look at him as a sharp shooter and nothing more.

I've said what I had to say about Udonis Haslem in many posts.

Bodzilla29
11-15-2004, 07:06 PM
Stephen A. Smith knows more about the NBA because he is well connected. I'd like to sit down one on one with him and see if he knows the intricacies of playing the actualy game. I'm not saying he doesn't know, but if he talked more x's and o's and less Peter Vecsy he would come across as a legitimate basketball man. Right now he is a show pony for network excexs, he was a disgrace at the draft, along with the rest of the analysts there(bar David Aldridge). His "I'm louder and more street then you" routine is old, it was cool in '95 not 2004. You called me a 'wannabee' Stephen A. Smith, so I told you I didn't like him, therefore don't 'wannabee' him! :)

Halsem is a decent player, and him not stopping the best players doesn't mean he isn't a good player. How many 'top' players are shutdown defenders? Not many, but if you have a role player he needs to be a solid defender or shooter, of which Haslem is neither. He can rebound pretty good, but isn't good enough at it to make up for his other inefficincies(like Big Ben or Rodzilla). I like him, but as a backup in limited minutes.

Damon Jones...you spouted off his stats from last year, why don't you look up his career numbers? He can't defend the perimeter so PGs will be in the lane all year. He is a good shooter, no doubt, but can be streaky as you will see. And he is a decent passer. Not a very good scorer and can't get into the lane very well. If you want that as a starting PG then fine.

Person is on his last legs and will no doubt barely see the floor, will you not agree on that. Right now he is just there for garbage time.

Doleac. Of course he plays within his game, his game is so small he can't do anything but play within his limitations. How much time would e get if he was jacking up turnaround 3s or taking his man to the hole, only to have it stripped every time. He is a decent rebounder for a guy his size and can hit a medium range jumper, that is it. If Shaq goes down and Doleac is playing 30 mins a night you are in big trouble.

Butler, like I said. He is a starter by default. Your weakest link in the starting 5. He was a good offensive player at college but it has not translated o the pro game. Streaky shooter, not a great handle, can't defend, and is still a little raw by the looks of it. He may progress, but how much do you really expect out of this guy? HOw many other starting 5s would this guy be in? I don't think I could name another SF he would get in ahead of.

Fresh
11-15-2004, 07:31 PM
Halsem is a decent player, and him not stopping the best players doesn't mean he isn't a good player. How many 'top' players are shutdown defenders? Not many, but if you have a role player he needs to be a solid defender or shooter, of which Haslem is neither. He can rebound pretty good, but isn't good enough at it to make up for his other inefficincies(like Big Ben or Rodzilla). I like him, but as a backup in limited minutes.

Damon Jones...you spouted off his stats from last year, why don't you look up his career numbers? He can't defend the perimeter so PGs will be in the lane all year. He is a good shooter, no doubt, but can be streaky as you will see. And he is a decent passer. Not a very good scorer and can't get into the lane very well. If you want that as a starting PG then fine.

Person is on his last legs and will no doubt barely see the floor, will you not agree on that. Right now he is just there for garbage time.

Doleac. Of course he plays within his game, his game is so small he can't do anything but play within his limitations. How much time would e get if he was jacking up turnaround 3s or taking his man to the hole, only to have it stripped every time. He is a decent rebounder for a guy his size and can hit a medium range jumper, that is it. If Shaq goes down and Doleac is playing 30 mins a night you are in big trouble.

Butler, like I said. He is a starter by default. Your weakest link in the starting 5. He was a good offensive player at college but it has not translated o the pro game. Streaky shooter, not a great handle, can't defend, and is still a little raw by the looks of it. He may progress, but how much do you really expect out of this guy? HOw many other starting 5s would this guy be in? I don't think I could name another SF he would get in ahead of.

I could agree with your point on Haslem, but the difference is having Shaq in there. If Grant was our starting center, no way in hell would I want Haslem starting next to him. The thing is, with Shaq in there...Haslem jumps from average to above average, if he isn't above average to begin with.

Honestly, I never gave a damn about Damon Jones until last year because I never really saw him get those kind of minutes. One could say he never really got the chance to play much, and another could say it's because he wasn't good enough to be put out on the floor. He's better than a decent passer, but that's not worth arguing about(you say he's a decent passer, I say he's a good passer...doesn't really make a difference). From the 3-point line, he's more than a streaky shooter. I'd rather have him popping from beyond the arch than Rafer Alston(who is a good 3pt shooter), I'll tell you that much. I never said he was a starter, I said he can be an efficient starter, and if I didn't my that clear, my bad. He's a very good 6th man, IMO...and that's all he has to be.

My comments about Person are pretty equal to yours.

I agree about Doleac, and that's why I am hoping for Zo to get his buyout. Doleac doesn't do much for us, but at the same time he keeps possessions alive on the glass and doesn't really hurt us. He has been hitting his 15 footers this year, as well. Zo isn't the same player he once was, obviously, but he would be able to contribute off the bench.

And again, I pretty much agree about Raz. He can be a decent starter, but right now he is pretty streaky. He's obviously the weak link in the starting 5, but Anderson should be taking some minutes away from him and adding a big time defensive punch off the bench. As much as I was never a fan of Big Dog, he may get waived and he'd be a good pickup.

Like I said in many other threads, Detroit is still the team to beat in the East. The only reason I put the Heat ahead of Indiana is because Indiana is in the same division as Detroit. We'll probably finish with the 2nd seed and we could wind up with homecourt throughout, which instantly makes us a contender. But sure, if Wade or Shaq goes down(we're seeing it right now with Wade, I think with him in...we could've won that Spurs game, although I'm not making excuses, just listing my opinion)...we're f*cked.

Just curious, but who's your team??

Bodzilla29
11-15-2004, 07:39 PM
That was a good post bro. We seem to agree with most of what is being said, and it only took us a page of posts to realize this! :)

My team? I am a struggling Raps fan. Have just as many holes in the roster as Miami! haha A bit more depth is what is keeping us going. Lost 2 heartbreakers in the Pacific northwest. Need to go at least 1-1 and hopefully 2-0 against the Clipps and Denver before we get back home.

paq7512
11-15-2004, 07:44 PM
If you know anything about basketball, no team in the NBA would've stopped Dallas last night. I'm not hating on Dallas, I'm complimenting them. Did you actually watch the game? Haslem was all up in Dirk's face and he was still wet. Nobody in the NBA could've stopped that, so I don't care. If you ask me, 4-1 is a great start, especially with a "70%" healthy Shaq AND Eddie Jones in a huge slump.

And Peanut? Hmmm...that's a new one, and pretty stupid too.
Agreed. Dwayne Wade it the best. He is so exciting to watch. I bought his BGS 9.5 Topps Chrome on Ebay. Now that is on fire. WOO HOO!

AJBurnett34
11-28-2004, 08:41 PM
The heat are unstoppable. Shaq is really making a big impact for us. We are playing awesome baseketball. Hopefully we can continue.

DolphinDevil28
11-28-2004, 08:42 PM
*ahem ahem*

Let's Go Magic

FinsNYanksFan13
11-29-2004, 02:28 AM
When Shaq really starts playing the East is in trouble!

Fresh
11-29-2004, 09:35 PM
When Shaq really starts playing the East is in trouble!

I know. It's funny because....the way he's playing now, he SHOULD be averaging 25+ ppg. He's not playing a notch below his norm at all, he's just not taking as many shots and not getting as many touches. Shaq & Wade are a far better combo than T-Mac & Yao at this point, so I will admit that I was terribly wrong about that before the season started. It's a shame that we don't have a SF like Jimmy Jackson who can step in there and contribute on both sides of the ball, though.

Rasual Butler remains my biggest concern. It was nice to see Person get some minutes and play pretty good last night. Person provides a nice offensive punch and Anderson provides a WONDERFUL defensive punch off of the bench. We should be okay, but we are NOT "the" team in the East right now. If Indiana can keep it up, once they get JO/Jax back, they will be the team to beat. I really think Indiana is the best team in the conference right now, followed by Miami & Detroit. Miami is a SF away right now, and we may have to wait until 05-06 to get to the promise land.

This conference has a few pretenders too, who will soon slump....(O-Town) :yes:

Fresh
11-29-2004, 09:40 PM
FYI, the Magic are getting the **** kicked outta them right now by the Celts in the 3rd quarter. I believe they're down by about 20. I haven't checked the box score, but I'm sure Mr.Inconsistent(Francis - one of the most inconsistent players in the ENTIRE league) is having an "off" night.

FinsNYanksFan13
11-29-2004, 10:28 PM
Even though D-Wade has shined this season and Shaq has obviously made him better, in reality Shaq is only getting half the credit he deserves. He's made D-Wade a superstar but people forget Shaq is making a bunch of average players in Miami better too!