PDA

View Full Version : Goaltending.

R_t_Kraken
11-27-2004, 04:34 PM
Goaltending -

a. Touch the ball or the basket ring when the ball is using the basket ring as its lower base.

b. Touch the ball when it is above the basket ring and within the imaginary cylinder

c. Touch any live ball from within the playing area that is on its downward flight with an opportunity to touch the basket ring. This is considered to be a "field goal attempt" or trying for a goal.

The last shot that was taken in the game seemed to me to be a clear goaltend. The ball was coming down, although it didn't look like it was going in, it did look like it was going to hit the top of the front rim. The piston player jumped up as the ball was coming down, and caught it? Clear violation of the rule no? I personally think we got robbed.

VJ1252
11-27-2004, 06:55 PM
that was just one of many bad calls in that game. at times it seemed like the refs wanted to take over the game. Still if the heat just play better defense they win

Prime Time
11-27-2004, 09:24 PM
We lost because of a arguable call but hey...sheeeeet happens. :(

R_t_Kraken
11-27-2004, 09:39 PM
We lost because of a arguable call but hey...sheeeeet happens. :(

arguable is an understatement. It couldn't have been a more blatant. Although it's not that big of deal, I was just hoping somebody could help me to better understand what happened.

Muck
11-27-2004, 10:02 PM
That ball had no chance of going in.

The call that really hurt us was the one that gave Detriot their final posession. Should have been Miami ball, game over. But it was extremely close. And I can't fault the ref because it was a tough call.

However......the reason we lost was because we were horrible around the basket. We couldn't sink layups and put-backs if our lives depended on it. It killed me to see us get all those offensive rebounds and second-chance shots and not convert them.

Bling
11-27-2004, 11:46 PM
D Jones missed that easy fast break layup. Shaq was used at the wrong time. EJ wasn't pulling through. Maybe if one of those happened. We would have actually killed the Pistons without their best player.

TerryTate
11-28-2004, 07:54 AM
That ball certainly had a chance of going in...there is always the possibility that the ball could bounce straight up in the air above the rim...with the possiblity that the ball may go in as well....

TerryTate
11-28-2004, 07:55 AM
Here's another point....even if the refs wanted to reverse it, could you imagine if they did after what happened one week prior to that moment?

Fresh
11-28-2004, 02:41 PM
D Jones missed that easy fast break layup. Shaq was used at the wrong time. EJ wasn't pulling through. Maybe if one of those happened. We would have actually killed the Pistons without their best player.

Damon Jones didnt miss the layup...the ball slipped out of his hands in the air.

And that was goaltending. I dont care if it didnt "look" like it had a chance of going in. Point is, the ball was coming DOWN and it WASNT an airball, so it shouldve been goaltending. Every ESPN expert agrees.

And that pass EJ tipped out of bounds was touched last by Rip Hamilton. Watch the replay closely. It shouldve been Heat ball with 2.3 secs left, up 77-76. We got ripped off badly.

Larry Brown is a b*tch, and even Van Gundy said it(not in those exact words, of course). He cried about the hand-check calls all week, and he got 4 of them called his way in the last 5 mins, including 2 on Wade, who later fouled out.

We got ripped badly in this game. Badly.

R_t_Kraken
11-28-2004, 05:03 PM
Here's another point....even if the refs wanted to reverse it, could you imagine if they did after what happened one week prior to that moment?

You know, I can't help but think that was a big reason for the refs not to call the goaltend. :shakeno: