PDA

View Full Version : Illini

woody1351
12-01-2004, 11:09 PM
how about the fightin illini, they whooped up on #1 wake forest.

MikeO
12-02-2004, 03:48 AM
ACC=overrated

FinsNYanksFan13
12-02-2004, 03:50 PM
Wake Forest = overrated!

nyjunc
12-02-2004, 03:58 PM
ACC=overrated

:roflmao: :roflmao: :lol: :lol:

Oboy
12-02-2004, 04:30 PM
The ACC as a whole is pretty good, but Wake was definitely overrated. That being said, the ILLINI looked REAL good last night! I was impressed watching them.

Jwcolour
12-02-2004, 05:43 PM
They did look good....but they still aren't CUSSEEEE

MikeO
12-03-2004, 03:46 AM
:roflmao: :roflmao: :lol: :lol:

ACC Is overrated. Keep living a fantasy world and keep believing the ACC is the best conference in the land for college hoops. It isn't and hasn't been for a while.

nyjunc
12-03-2004, 08:10 AM
ACC Is overrated. Keep living a fantasy world and keep believing the ACC is the best conference in the land for college hoops. It isn't and hasn't been for a while.

The ACC went through a rough stretch in the early 2000s BUT it was w/o question the best conf in the Country last year and is w/o question the best conf in the Country this year. B/c Wake got blown out that means the ACC is overrated? Are teams not allowed to lose bad games on the road in Nov/Dec? UConn got blown out by Ga Tech last year in November, how did their season turn out? The ACC has 5 legit top 10 type teams(including 3 or 4 legit FF and Nat'l Title contenders) and 7 overall ranked teams. Show me the other conference w/ those types of teams, tell me who is better than the ACC?

MikeO
12-03-2004, 11:43 AM
The ACC went through a rough stretch in the early 2000s BUT it was w/o question the best conf in the Country last year and is w/o question the best conf in the Country this year. B/c Wake got blown out that means the ACC is overrated? Are teams not allowed to lose bad games on the road in Nov/Dec? UConn got blown out by Ga Tech last year in November, how did their season turn out? The ACC has 5 legit top 10 type teams(including 3 or 4 legit FF and Nat'l Title contenders) and 7 overall ranked teams. Show me the other conference w/ those types of teams, tell me who is better than the ACC?
How was it the best last year when UCONN won it all and beat Duke and GT on the way?

The Big East is better. Syracuse, UConn, Pitt, and Providence are better. If you want to expand it to the NEW Big East throw in Louisville and I will take those 5 anyday. Polls mean nothing now. Especially PRE-SEASON polls. Just look at football and Auburn, the preseason poll is going to screw them since they weren't ranked back in August now they are stuck at #3 because of it.

Last 2 national champs from the BIG EAST in mens and womens hoops. The NIT champ 2 years ago from the Big East. Which means in College Hoops, 5 out of the last 6 SEASON ENDING Tournaments in College Basketball were won by the BIG EAST!

And next year when the ACC adds basketball doormats like VT, Miami, and BC.....and it brings down the RPI of all of your top schools which will keep bubble teams OUT of the tournament, :roflmao: then tell me who has the best hoops conference in the country.

Let's see, the ACC adds 3 garbage hoops programs, the Big East loses there 3 worst hoops teams and adds Top 10 teams like Louisville, Cincy, Marquette, and Depaul already on top of what they have.

The ACC is good, just not the best!

nyjunc
12-03-2004, 12:24 PM
Just b/c the Champion comes from a conference does not mean that conference is the best. In '01 when duke won and in '02 when maryland won the ACC was not eevn close to the best conference in the Country. Usually the conf that gets the most teams to regional finals or FFs is the best and the ACC had 2 last year. UConn did beat duke and GT BUt they also lost to GT and UNC in the reg season.

The Big East is better. Syracuse, UConn, Pitt, and Providence are better. If you want to expand it to the NEW Big East throw in Louisville and I will take those 5 anyday.

You can have louisville and the ACC is till better. Add in Cincy too and the ACC is still better.

Last 2 national champs from the BIG EAST in mens and womens hoops. The NIT champ 2 years ago from the Big East. Which means in College Hoops, 5 out of the last 6 SEASON ENDING Tournaments in College Basketball were won by the BIG EAST!

First off what does women's BB have to do w/ anything? and the NIT? come on get real

And next year when the ACC adds basketball doormats like VT, Miami, and BC.....and it brings down the RPI of all of your top schools which will keep bubble teams OUT of the tournament, then tell me who has the best hoops conference in the country.

First BC isn't a bad program, they are a better prgram than Marquette has been and everyone is making a big deal about Marquette. Miami and VT will bring it down a bit but the overall strength of the top teams will keep it the best conf.

Let's see, the ACC adds 3 garbage hoops programs, the Big East loses there 3 worst hoops teams and adds Top 10 teams like Louisville, Cincy, Marquette, and Depaul already on top of what they have.

BC is not a garbage hoops program and louisville is not exactly duke or North Carolina. I can't recall the last FF they made- oh wait it was 1986! Cincy ALWAYS loses in rd 1 or 2 and they are on their way down w/ bob Thuggins on his last legs and Marquette? They have a good team every 5-6 years or so. The only 2 programs that can consistently play w/ the ACC's best are SU and UConn.

Let's look at some #s of these 2 conferences and yuo dcide which has been better and it's obvious to any impartial fan which is best this year:

Since 1981 the ACC has sent AT LEAST 1 team(2 in '81, '90, '91, '01, '03) every year except '85, '87, '96 and '03 so that's 20 of 24 years at least 1 ACC team has been to the FF(and by the way we have the most titles w/ 7) and in that same span the BE has sent at least 1 team to the FF 9 times. Let's break it down:

Since 1979(that was the 1st yr of the BE):

Final Fours:

ACC- 25
BE- 12

Number of FF's w/ multiple teams:

ACC- 5
BE- 2

Longest Drought btw FFs:

ACC- 2 years(had FF in '78 then missed in '79 & '80 before sending 2 in '81)
BE- 6 years(had FF team in '89 then again in '96)

Number of Nat'l Championships:

ACC- 7
BE- 5

Let's see the Big East CONSISTENTLY send teams to the FF the way the ACC has then we can talk.

MikeO
12-03-2004, 01:38 PM
BC is bad. No, check that.....they are awful.

Marquette was in the FINAL FOUR 2 years ago!

We are talking about NOW and this year. You need to go back 10 and 15 years ago to get ACC stats to prove your point.

I dont' care about 1981 or what conference is the BEST EVER. You are changing the debate. Right now BIG EAST basketball is better than ACC basketball. Next year it won't even be close when Miami, VT, and BC drag your RPI into the mud.

Who is the BETTER conference now, today, and tomorrow. It's the Big East. Louisville is a Top program NOW with Pitino.

nyjunc
12-03-2004, 03:17 PM
Let's start w/ BC:

2004: Made NCAA Tournament(lost to Ga Tech by the way)
2003: Tied for 1st in reg season OF BE east w/ UConn
2002: Made NCAA Tourney
2001: won BE east reg season title, won BE Tourney, 3 seed in NCAA tourney
2000: Last in BE
1999: Last in BE
1998: Last in BE 6(they were going through some NCAA probation during these years)
1997: Tied for 1st in BE 6, 5 seed in NCAA Tourney
1996: 3rd in BE 6, NCAA Tourney

Outside of 3 years where scandal had rocked the program they have been in the upper echelon of the BE. yeah they awful :rolleyes:

Let's see what Marquette has done:

2004: NIT
2003: NCAA Final Four
2002:NCAA #5 seed, lost in 1st rd
2001: no postseason
2000: lost in 1st rd of NIT
1999:last place Conf USA
1998: Made NIT
1997: 7 seed in NCAA's
1996:4 seed in NCAA's

Outside of fluky FF by Marquette in '03 it looks like BC ahs been better.

We are talking about NOW and this year. You need to go back 10 and 15 years ago to get ACC stats to prove your point.

We have SEVEN ranked teams, what more do you need to know? 5 of the top 12 teams, 6 of the top 16 teams. The BE has 4 ranked teams. That is NOW, we are better, we were better last year. Just b/c a team wins the NCAA title does not mean they came from the best conf, it just means they are the best team that year. Again, ACC teams won it all in '01 and '02 and the ACC was NOT the best conf. The ACC CONSISTENTLY sends teams to the FF while the BE does NOT.

Jwcolour
12-03-2004, 04:39 PM
Mike-O I can end this argument in one word.

CUUUSSSSSSSEEEEEE

nyjunc
12-03-2004, 04:41 PM
Mike-O I can end this argument in one word.

CUUUSSSSSSSEEEEEE

How does that end the argument? B/c SU makes the FF once every decade that makes the BE better? :lol:

Jwcolour
12-03-2004, 04:53 PM
How does that end the argument? B/c SU makes the FF once every decade that makes the BE better? :lol:

How does that end the argument?

like this

GMAC
HAKIM THE DREAM WARRICK
PACE
NICHOLS
Edelin
Forth (not sucking like he used to)
McCroskey is nasty

CUUUUUUUSSSSE

FinsNYanksFan13
12-03-2004, 04:54 PM
Why are u guys wasting your time arguing when u all know Duke is the best team in the country, HANDS DOWN!

nyjunc
12-03-2004, 05:05 PM
Felton
McCants
May
M. Williams
J. Williams
Noel
Scott
Manuel

I'll take this squad over anything you could put on the floor. There is no better top 6 in the Country than UNCs and we have quality depth going 9-10 deep. SU has a very good team and is no doubt a legit FF contender but they won't be as good as the Heels.

nyjunc
12-03-2004, 05:05 PM
Why are u guys wasting your time arguing when u all know Duke is the best team in the country, HANDS DOWN!

:roflmao: :lol:

FinsNYanksFan13
12-03-2004, 05:18 PM
Duke owns UNC and if we ever played Cuse, we'd own them too!

Jwcolour
12-03-2004, 05:35 PM

Hah

MikeO
12-04-2004, 04:09 AM
Felton
McCants
May
M. Williams
J. Williams
Noel
Scott
Manuel

I'll take this squad over anything you could put on the floor. There is no better top 6 in the Country than UNCs and we have quality depth going 9-10 deep. SU has a very good team and is no doubt a legit FF contender but they won't be as good as the Heels.
UNC lost Santa Clara by 11 for christ sakes. Roy Williams is a garbage coach who will NEVER win the big one.

Syracuse has 4 starters who have won a ring, plus one coming off the bench..... I will take my chanes with them.

MikeO
12-04-2004, 04:11 AM
Big East is 2 for the last 2. Uconn beat Duke and GT last year on their road to the Championship.

UNC lost to Santa Clara already. Wake lost to Illionis. If the ACC is so good how come their top teams have loses and it's not even PEARL HARBOR DAY for crying out loud>?!?!:shakeno: :shakeno:

nyjunc
12-04-2004, 07:04 AM

You OWNED us for a few years while our program was down after the best coach the ACC has ever seen retired. Those days are over and ti will be back to the dean days when we owned duke.

UNC lost Santa Clara by 11 for christ sakes. Roy Williams is a garbage coach who will NEVER win the big one.

First off Raymond Felton did NOT pkay in that game and they were boarding a plane for Hawaii in a few hours so a letdown wasn't a shocker but since that game they have been dominant and Santa Clara would be the toughest OOC opponent Boeheim has scheduled in all his years at SU :lol:

I guess Boeheim was a garbage coach before they won 2 years ago? Roy has the highest win % of any active coach and he has more FF's than Jim. Jim got the monkey off his back 2 years ago and Roy will too.

Syracuse has 4 starters who have won a ring, plus one coming off the bench..... I will take my chanes with them.

And who was that ONE player that's not around anymore? Oh yea your BEST player, the player that carried you on his back.

Big East is 2 for the last 2. Uconn beat Duke and GT last year on their road to the Championship.

That doesn't mean anything. In '01 and '02 ACC teams won it all and the ACC was down those years. How many FF teams have had? 3 this decade while the ACC has had 6. The BE hasn't been the best conf since 1985. I guess the Big West was the best Conf in the Country in 1990 when UNLV won it all? Nat'l Titles do not determine who is the best conf.

UNC lost to Santa Clara already. Wake lost to Illionis. If the ACC is so good how come their top teams have loses and it's not even PEARL HARBOR DAY for crying out loud>?!?!

I explained the SC game and losing on the homecourt of a top team is not exactly a big shame. By your logic UConn was not the bst team in the Country last year as they got blown out(on a neutral floor which was filled w/ UConn fans since it was a short drive to NYC) in the Preseason NIT by Georgia Tech last year. Last I checked you are allowed to lose games in the reg season and still win make a FF or win a Nat'l Title.

MikeO
12-04-2004, 02:32 PM
You OWNED us for a few years while our program was down after the best coach the ACC has ever seen retired. Those days are over and ti will be back to the dean days when we owned duke.

First off Raymond Felton did NOT pkay in that game and they were boarding a plane for Hawaii in a few hours so a letdown wasn't a shocker but since that game they have been dominant and Santa Clara would be the toughest OOC opponent Boeheim has scheduled in all his years at SU :lol:

And who was that ONE player that's not around anymore? Oh yea your BEST player, the player that carried you on his back.

.First off SU has played 2 ranked teams already and has Oklahoma St coming up. None of them at home either. So, our OCC schedule is just fine.

Second, no one player wins it all. I remember G-Mac being the one who carried SU in the NCAA Tourney. Better go back and watch the tapes buddy

And yes you are able to lose reg season games and still win it all. But you can't lose regular season games to STATA CLARA and then come here and say your the best team in the country and the ACC is the best conference!!!! :shakeno: Your talking the talk and not walking the walk.

nyjunc
12-04-2004, 09:39 PM
First off SU has played 2 ranked teams already and has Oklahoma St coming up. None of them at home either. So, our OCC schedule is just fine.

They played MSU and it was their best players first game after an injury and suspension and they played at MSG. They don't leave the state of NY until January.

Second, no one player wins it all. I remember G-Mac being the one who carried SU in the NCAA Tourney. Better go back and watch the tapes buddy

And why did Mcnamara get so many open looks? Carmelo had nothing to do w/ that :rolleyes: By the way, what carried SU in the Title game was KU missing 15 FTs.

And yes you are able to lose reg season games and still win it all. But you can't lose regular season games to STATA CLARA and then come here and say your the best team in the country and the ACC is the best conference!!!! Your talking the talk and not walking the walk.

You shouldn't talk so fast as Su is locked in a battle right now w/ COLGATE at HOME and oh by the way UNC crushed Kentucky and the same Indiana team that UNC toyed w/ in an incredibly hostile environment at Iu on weds gave UConn all they could handle today.

nyjunc
12-04-2004, 09:42 PM
Oh and by the way MIAMI beat #29 Florida at Florida and Miami is either #10 or 11 in the ACC while your 3rd ranked team, Notre Dame, lost and will be out of the rankings. yeah the BE is MUCH better than the ACC :rolleyes: :lol:

MikeO
12-04-2004, 11:58 PM
Oh and by the way MIAMI beat #29 Florida at Florida and Miami is either #10 or 11 in the ACC while your 3rd ranked team, Notre Dame, lost and will be out of the rankings. yeah the BE is MUCH better than the ACC :rolleyes: :lol:
Who has won the last 2 tounraments. Big East! Nuff said. Debate over! :cooldude:

FinsNYanksFan13
12-05-2004, 03:55 AM
Duke's gonna win this the 2005 NCAA tourny (and ACC).........Now this debates really over!

nyjunc
12-05-2004, 08:49 AM
Who has won the last 2 tounraments. Big East! Nuff said. Debate over! :cooldude:

How many times must I explain this to you- IT DOESN'T MATTER WHO IS THE NAT'L CHAMPION. That just proves who is the best team(actually in most years it just proves who is the hottestteam in March/April) and not who the best conf is.

Duke's gonna win this the 2005 NCAA tourny (and ACC).........Now this debates really over!

yeah :rolleyes: duke looked impressiive again against another tough team w/ that brutal sched of theirs :rolleyes: The only decent team they played was MSU and they were locked in a struggle the entire game and didn't win it until the last minute AT HOME and MSU goes out and gets CRUSHED by George Washington yesterday :lol: MSU is the ONLY ranked team they play in their OOC sched(and they only played MSU b/c they were forced to by the ACC in the ACC/Big 10 challenge) so duke will be undefeated and oevrrated until they go to Raleigh on Jan 13th. That is where the losing begins and they will have AT LEAST 7 ACC losses.

MikeO
12-05-2004, 03:40 PM
You can explain it to me till your blue in the face.....doesn't mean you are right!

ACC isn't the best. Sorry to burst your bubble!

iceblizzard69
12-05-2004, 03:58 PM
You can explain it to me till your blue in the face.....doesn't mean you are right!

The Big East is better, just like it is in football, right?

Right?

:rolleyes2

I don't think the Big East is that strong this year. I wouldn't want to mess with Syracuse, but as a whole the conference isn't as strong as it has been in past years. Overall, the ACC is a better conference.

nyjunc
12-05-2004, 06:32 PM

That's a compelling argument you have there, I'm convinved. What was I thinking when I thought the ACC was better :rolleyes:

Jwcolour
12-05-2004, 06:52 PM
That's a compelling argument you have there, I'm convinved. What was I thinking when I thought the ACC was better :rolleyes:

You want another sweet compelling argument?

CUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEE

nyjunc
12-05-2004, 07:01 PM
You want another sweet compelling argument?

CUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEE

You showed me! How could I think a conference w/ 2 whole teams ranked(ND will be gone form the rabkings after losing to a mediocre Mich team) is not the best in the Country :lol:

MikeO
12-06-2004, 12:53 AM
The Big East is better, just like it is in football, right?

Right?

:rolleyes2

How sad is the ACC though that 2 outsiders their 1st year in the conferece are playing for the ACC football championship?! That speaks volumns about how bad ACC football has been. Two first year teams from the Big East join and are running the football side of things.

VJ1252
12-06-2004, 02:07 AM
How sad is the ACC though that 2 outsiders their 1st year in the conferece are playing for the ACC football championship?! That speaks volumns about how bad ACC football has been. Two first year teams from the Big East join and are running the football side of things.
no it speaks volumes about how good UM and VT are. They made the big east and now its nothing.

Jwcolour
12-06-2004, 03:31 AM
You showed me! How could I think a conference w/ 2 whole teams ranked(ND will be gone form the rabkings after losing to a mediocre Mich team) is not the best in the Country :lol:

Um I think you forgot to take into account this:

CUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

nyjunc
12-06-2004, 06:21 AM

The 2 teams the ACC accpeted this year are top 10 type teams in most years so it wasn't far fetched to think one of them could win the ACC. The difference is if they were still in the BE neither team would have lost another conf game while in the ACC VT lost 1 and UM lost 2.

Um I think you forgot to take into account this:

CUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

They looked outstanding against Colgate at home the other night, Boeheim continues that rough sched he puts together every year :roflmao:

MikeO
12-06-2004, 10:01 AM
VTY hasn't been a Top 10 football team since the late 90s. And you clearly don't know VT's record in the Big East where they had little success against the likes of Pitt, WV, Syracuse in recent years. I think out of those 3 teams they beat Syracuse once and that is it.

Don't be rippin on Boeheim. SU plays Oklahoma St on a neutral court. They already beat Memphis and Miss St. How many ranked teams do we have to play away from home in the first month of the season?

MikeO
12-06-2004, 10:02 AM
no it speaks volumes about how good UM and VT are. They made the big east and now its nothing.
The ACC must be nothing as well since those two can step right in and be the top teams. So the ACC was nothnig until now?

Your logic makes no sense. :shakeno:

nyjunc
12-06-2004, 10:09 AM
VTY hasn't been a Top 10 football team since the late 90s. And you clearly don't know VT's record in the Big East where they had little success against the likes of Pitt, WV, Syracuse in recent years. I think out of those 3 teams they beat Syracuse once and that is it.

Don't be rippin on Boeheim. SU plays Oklahoma St on a neutral court. They already beat Memphis and Miss St. How many ranked teams do we have to play away from home in the first month of the season?

On a "neutral court" yes but they do not leave the state of NY until JANUARY! This sched is brutal compared to what Boeheim usually schedules but it's nowhere near a difficult schedule.

MikeO
12-06-2004, 01:43 PM
On a "neutral court" yes but they do not leave the state of NY until JANUARY! This sched is brutal compared to what Boeheim usually schedules but it's nowhere near a difficult schedule.
Don't leave the state of NY? It's over 5 hours away. Look at a map.

Syracuse is closer to Philly, Cleveland, and Toronto than it is to NYC. So if SU scheduled Temple or Ohio St (Columbus, near Cleveland) that would be more difficult than going to NYC even though its a shorter trip?

Look, having this debate now is stupid. The season just started. Come March we can conclude this discussion. Right now we are going in circles.

Let's call a TRUCE and continue this debate once we draw near Tourney time. That is when one of us will be proven correct and the other to be proven a fool.

Deal.........

VJ1252
12-06-2004, 03:40 PM
The ACC must be nothing as well since those two can step right in and be the top teams. So the ACC was nothnig until now?

Your logic makes no sense. :shakeno:
learn to read. I said the biggest is nothing now without um and vt. yea the acc was bad without those two but when you add them and they already had a decent program in FSU the acc is a decent football conference and a great basketball conference. the acc def isnt as tough as the sec but its lightyears ahead of the big east. look who won the big east this year a pitt team that is 20th in the polls and the bcs. Pitt lost to uconn and at home to nebraska who was horrible this year.

iceblizzard69
12-06-2004, 05:17 PM

The ACC right now is a stronger conference than the Big East. I would go with the Big East based on last year, but the additions of Miami and VT made the ACC the better conference in football.

Both conferences are strong in basketball, but I would give the edge to the ACC there too.

iceblizzard69
12-06-2004, 05:20 PM

I live in NYC and went up to Syracuse last month. It's not exactly a short trip. And I saw Syracuse beat up on a **** team when I was up there. I don't think they are the best team in the country, but they are definitely a major contender to go to the Final Four this year.

nyjunc
12-06-2004, 06:16 PM
Don't leave the state of NY? It's over 5 hours away. Look at a map.

Syracuse is closer to Philly, Cleveland, and Toronto than it is to NYC. So if SU scheduled Temple or Ohio St (Columbus, near Cleveland) that would be more difficult than going to NYC even though its a shorter trip?

Look, having this debate now is stupid. The season just started. Come March we can conclude this discussion. Right now we are going in circles.

Let's call a TRUCE and continue this debate once we draw near Tourney time. That is when one of us will be proven correct and the other to be proven a fool.

Deal.........

I can't call a truce on the ACC/Big East debate b/c there really is no debate. The ACC is better BUT I do believe is SU is a big time team and are legit FF contenders. The great thing is unlike CFb we crown a Champion on the court so this will be settled in March/April. We can end the debate for now but let's not end the CBB talk.

nyjunc
12-06-2004, 06:18 PM
I live in NYC and went up to Syracuse last month. It's not exactly a short trip. And I saw Syracuse beat up on a **** team when I was up there. I don't think they are the best team in the country, but they are definitely a major contender to go to the Final Four this year.

I know it's not close to here BUt it isn't exactly a cross country trip. Carolina played 3 games on a neutral court in Hawaii then played a road game at Indiana. SU has yet to play in a hostile environment. It didn't hurt them 2 years go when they had a creampuff sched and won it all and it shouldn't hurt them this year but as a fan you want to see the big time programs play tougher scheds. I love Carolina playing UK, IU, UConn in addtion to the rough ACC sched.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-07-2004, 01:37 AM
All I know is that UNC's heralded freshman class from a few years ago is underachieving big time, while Duke's class has been to a final 4 and a sweet 16!

MikeO
12-07-2004, 03:32 AM
I know it's not close to here BUt it isn't exactly a cross country trip. Carolina played 3 games on a neutral court in Hawaii then played a road game at Indiana. SU has yet to play in a hostile environment. It didn't hurt them 2 years go when they had a creampuff sched and won it all and it shouldn't hurt them this year but as a fan you want to see the big time programs play tougher scheds. I love Carolina playing UK, IU, UConn in addtion to the rough ACC sched.
2 years ago they played Missouri. At Mich St. And Georgia Tech out of conference just to name a few.

Let's get the facts straight. And that was also the year the BIG 12 was hyped as so great. Two #1 seeds and a #2 seed in the tourney, SU beat them all. In fact that was the year SU in one season beat Missouri, Oklahoma St, Oklahoma, Texas, and Kansas. DEFACTO BIG 12 CHAMPS!

MikeO
12-07-2004, 03:34 AM
The ACC right now is a stronger conference than the Big East. I would go with the Big East based on last year, but the additions of Miami and VT made the ACC the better conference in football.

Both conferences are strong in basketball, but I would give the edge to the ACC there too.
No doubt the ACC is stronger in football. NO idiot will debate that.

In basektball though, when you add L'ville, Cincy, Depaul, and Marquett to the Big East. Then throw in bottom feeders like Miami, VT, and BC in the ACC.......the Big East is clearly better in basketball TOP to BOTTOM.

Even this year without those teams yet in, you will still see the Big East be on par if not better than the ACC.

Time will tell who is right...........let the games play out!

nyjunc
12-07-2004, 06:36 AM
All I know is that UNC's heralded freshman class from a few years ago is underachieving big time, while Duke's class has been to a final 4 and a sweet 16!

Are you kidding me? Duke's class was called the best class since the Fab 5 and Randolph stinks, Thompson is gone, Redick is the most overrated player in the Country, Dokcery is average at best and Williams is good when he can stay out of foul trouble. The heralded Carolina trio came in after an 8-20 season and would have been a Tourney team as freshman if May had not gotten hurt then had a coaching change and lost alot of close games last year but still beat Wake, Tech, UConn, Illinois and others and got back to the Tourney and now are a favorite to be a FF team while duke's heralded class will be lucky to be a sweet 16 team.

2 years ago they played Missouri. At Mich St. And Georgia Tech out of conference just to name a few.

Ga tech was rebuilding and wasn't good, I'm sure Boeheim wouldn't schedule them now so 1 tough game at MSu isn't a tough sched.

Let's get the facts straight. And that was also the year the BIG 12 was hyped as so great. Two #1 seeds and a #2 seed in the tourney, SU beat them all. In fact that was the year SU in one season beat Missouri, Oklahoma St, Oklahoma, Texas, and Kansas. DEFACTO BIG 12 CHAMPS!

They beat KU, OU, OSU and UT in the NCAA tourney so that does not count as a tough sched. I didn't say they didn't earn the title, I said they played a crampuff non-conf sched and they always do. I said it didn't hurt them in '02-'03 and it probably won't hurt them this year but that i'd like to see the big time teams play other big time teams from other confs more.

In basektball though, when you add L'ville, Cincy, Depaul, and Marquett to the Big East. Then throw in bottom feeders like Miami, VT, and BC in the ACC.......the Big East is clearly better in basketball TOP to BOTTOM.

First off we are debating the conferences THIS year. Secondly even next year and beyond the ACC will be better in most years. Yeah there will be years where the ACC is down or the BE or another conf is just better in a given year but in most years the ACC will be better. the ONLY nbig team you are adding is Louisville and Louisville has done NOTHING since Denny Crum left, they have been a good reg season team and failed in the Tourney. Marquette is good evry 5 years or so, Cincy is on their way down w/ Thuggins and they always go out by rd 2 every year anyway and South Florida? Come on, they are worse than VT or Miami. Oh by the way, Miami beat Florida at Florida over the weekend and Florida was ranked #19. Let'ss ee your bottom feeders do something like that.

Even this year without those teams yet in, you will still see the Big East be on par if not better than the ACC.

When will you back up your arguments? The ACC has 7 ranked teams w/ FIVE in the top 10 in the Coaches poll. You keep telling me how the BE is better but never back anything up. The BE is nowhere near the ACC this year- not even in the discussion for best conf.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-07-2004, 11:22 AM
Say what you want and make excuses it if u want, if this Carilona class doesn't at the very least get to a final 4, it will be the most dissappointing freshman class in NCAA history (arguably)!

MikeO
12-07-2004, 01:11 PM
7 ranked teams........its Dec 7th. PRESEASON POLLS are WORTHLESS!

Wasn't Alabama preseason #1 a couple years ago and only won like 16 games or something. Who cares about preseason polls. You are basing your whole argument on a PRESEASON poll. Which had WF #1, and they already lost. Had UNC in the Top 10, they lost to SANTA CLARA! Preseason polls are worthless.

You can't back up your argument!

nyjunc
12-07-2004, 01:23 PM
Say what you want and make excuses it if u want, if this Carilona class doesn't at the very least get to a final 4, it will be the most dissappointing freshman class in NCAA history (arguably)!

Will it be disappoiting? Yeah it will but regradless what happened this is the class that helpd bring back real Carolina basketball. If the duke class w/ redick, Williams and Randolph doesn't win it all then that will go down as the biggest disappointment b/c they were hyped as the best class since the Fab 5 and alot of "experts" had them rated HIGHER. I'm not worried though b/c I am extremely confident in this current Heels team to make a run to SL. As of right now the 4 best teams are Illinois, Tech, SU and UNC.

ranked teams........its Dec 7th. PRESEASON POLLS are WORTHLESS!

Wasn't Alabama preseason #1 a couple years ago and only won like 16 games or something. Who cares about preseason polls. You are basing your whole argument on a PRESEASON poll. Which had WF #1, and they already lost. Had UNC in the Top 10, they lost to SANTA CLARA! Preseason polls are worthless.

You can't back up your argument!

At worst we will have 6 ranked teams at the end of the year while at best the BE will have 4. The ACC is bar none the best conf in the Country, the BE isn't even #2 as the SEC or Big 12 is probably better but there is no argument who is the best.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-07-2004, 02:59 PM
I cannot agree with u man. If UNC's class does not make at the very least a final 4 it will be more dissappointing then Duke's class who already went to one. Plus, you can say what you want, but Carilona's class was more herelded!

nyjunc
12-07-2004, 05:56 PM
I cannot agree with u man. If UNC's class does not make at the very least a final 4 it will be more dissappointing then Duke's class who already went to one. Plus, you can say what you want, but Carilona's class was more herelded!

Carolina's class SHOULD have been more heralded but it was not, duke may have made a FF but it wasn't b/c of the guys in that class(besides Williams). JJ did nothing in the Tourney, Randolph did little as well, Thompson had transfered and Dockery was insignificant so while they made a FF that class did not lead duke to a FF. Again it will be a disappointment if we don't make the FF this year but entering the program when it was at it's lowest and bringing it back to real Carolina basketball still makes it a success.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-08-2004, 01:05 AM
Down goes Cuse, Down goes Cuse!

Duke's going undefeated this year!

nyjunc
12-08-2004, 07:50 AM
Down goes Cuse, Down goes Cuse!

Duke's going undefeated this year!

Duke will most likely go undefeated in their creampuff OOC sched. I made fun of SU's sched but at least they played a couple of good teams. There's a reason carolina has lost a game and duke hasn't and UNC is ranked ahead of duke in both polls.

To the SU fans: There's no shame in losing to Ok State, it's not like you were going undefeated. By the way, I see former Tar Heel recruit JamesOn Curry had a good game. It's a shame he made a mistake by selling marijuana or else the Heels would be even deeper.

nyjunc
12-08-2004, 09:56 AM
http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/tallahassee/sports/colleges/florida_state_university/10356335.htm

nyjunc
12-09-2004, 06:05 AM
It's awfully quiet in here, a whole day has passed and no word from the SU and BE lovers :confused:

FinsNYanksFan13
12-10-2004, 12:16 AM
Down goes UCONN, DOWN GOES UCONN!

MikeO
12-10-2004, 05:54 AM
Im still here. I just think we should let the games be played and then pick it up at a later date. Going in circles right now.

nyjunc
12-10-2004, 06:35 AM
Im still here. I just think we should let the games be played and then pick it up at a later date. Going in circles right now.

You didn't think that until after SU lost though. I disagree w/ you, it's more fun going back and forth during the year. Carolina is going to lose again, SU is going to lose again. It's all in fun and it will all sort itself out later in the year.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-10-2004, 06:44 PM
Let's go back and fourth, we have nothing better to do with our lives lol GO DUKE!

MikeO
12-11-2004, 03:12 AM
You didn't think that until after SU lost though. I disagree w/ you, it's more fun going back and forth during the year. Carolina is going to lose again, SU is going to lose again. It's all in fun and it will all sort itself out later in the year.I said we were going in circles BEFORE SU lost. Go back and check the dates and times of the posts compared to the games.... :shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno:

Now your just flat out lying and making stuff up. :shakeno:

nyjunc
12-11-2004, 05:56 AM
I said we were going in circles BEFORE SU lost. Go back and check the dates and times of the posts compared to the games.... :shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno:

Now your just flat out lying and making stuff up. :shakeno:

That was the ACC and BE argument which you realized you really had no argmunet for the BE. Regardless it's fun talking CBB and we both follow big time teams so we can have some fun discussions.

MikeO
12-11-2004, 02:01 PM
That was the ACC and BE argument which you realized you really had no argmunet for the BE. Regardless it's fun talking CBB and we both follow big time teams so we can have some fun discussions.
I have no argument....lol :roflmao:

Just the past 2 national championships. Ok, I can see this is going nowhere. It has been fun. Take care.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-11-2004, 03:42 PM
Why can't we just agree that the two best conferences in no particular order are the Big East and ACC. But in the end, it doesn't really matter, Duke will be the best team this year with a slimmed down Reddick shooting lights out, Williams are more headier player who will avoid foul trouble, Ewing's gonna be the player of the year, and finally a much improved Dockery and Randolph. Duke wasn't deep enough last year and they went to the final 4. This year's team is going to dominate. Best backcourt in the country and best big man (Williams) in the country!

nyjunc
12-16-2004, 09:39 AM
Why can't we just agree that the two best conferences in no particular order are the Big East and ACC. But in the end, it doesn't really matter, Duke will be the best team this year with a slimmed down Reddick shooting lights out, Williams are more headier player who will avoid foul trouble, Ewing's gonna be the player of the year, and finally a much improved Dockery and Randolph. Duke wasn't deep enough last year and they went to the final 4. This year's team is going to dominate. Best backcourt in the country and best big man (Williams) in the country!

:lol: :roflmao: :lol: :roflmao:

Yeah JJ "Big Game" redick whose next big shot will be his first. The "greatest" shooter of all time who has never even been the best 3 pt shooter in the ACC and has never been anywhere near the leaders in the NCAA is the most overrated player in the Country. he is locked down against better teams. Shelden is good but is always in foul trouble and if K didn't own the officials he'd foul out in the first half every game. Ewing is a big time player, Dockery is a mediocre PG, Shav was overhyped and has underdelivered. You won't even compete for the ACC Title so forget about nat'l Title. duke will at best make the Sweet 16.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-16-2004, 11:00 AM
Wait a minutes, was it Duke or North Carilona that lost to Santa Clara at home? Just checking!

nyjunc
12-16-2004, 11:54 AM
Once again there were circumstances and even w/ that SC loss we are ranked HIGHER than duke. That's b/c we have played a tougher sched(as usual) and have been dominating while dukle has been playing creampuffs and a couple have played decent games against them.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-16-2004, 02:26 PM
We're rocking Oklahoma on Saturday at the Garden....................We'll see then!

FinsNYanksFan13
12-16-2004, 02:31 PM
By the way, i'll be there. Anyone in the NYC area that day, tickets are as low as 15 bucks so if you want to see the 2005 National Champions (cause that's what we will be when this is all said and done), go to the game!

nyjunc
12-16-2004, 03:22 PM
By the way, i'll be there. Anyone in the NYC area that day, tickets are as low as 15 bucks so if you want to see the 2005 National Champions (cause that's what we will be when this is all said and done), go to the game!

OU might win the CFB Nat'l Title but not the CBB Title.

Another unranked team for duke to play. if it wasn't for the ACC making them play Mich St(a ranked team but a very overrated team) they would have NO non-conf games against ranked teams.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-16-2004, 08:24 PM
nyjunc, I sense a lot of hostility from you. I sense a lot of jealousy. Must be from Duke's dominance of the ACC!

nyjunc
12-17-2004, 08:49 AM
nyjunc, I sense a lot of hostility from you. I sense a lot of jealousy. Must be from Duke's dominance of the ACC!

They dominated the ACC when the ACC was at it's all time worst but the days of '99-'03 are over and the good old days(pre-'99) are back and the Heels will be back on top. Maybe duke can finish 3rd or 4th this year but they don't have enough to hang w/ the big boys at the top of the ACC.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-17-2004, 09:31 PM
excuses, excuses, that's all you Carilona fans got!

nyjunc
12-18-2004, 09:18 AM
excuses, excuses, that's all you Carilona fans got!

Excuses? No those are facts, the ACC was only getting 3 or 4 teams a year in the Tourney and for 3 or 4 of those years it was only 3 then the conference's marquee team took an unexpected downward spiral for a couple of years so that also hurt the conference. The ACC was the best last year and surprise! duke didn't win it and it is the best this year and duke will not win it. I can't wait until duke plays a real team so the L's can start to pile up.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-18-2004, 12:12 PM
all I read was blah blah blah blah. Your one of those people who makes excuses. I have no time for people like you. You look at the cup half empty, I look at it half full!

nyjunc
12-18-2004, 12:35 PM
all I read was blah blah blah blah. Your one of those people who makes excuses. I have no time for people like you. You look at the cup half empty, I look at it half full!

You are one of those people who doesn't make any valid points, you just say "duke is better b/c I said so..." You don't back up anything you say.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-19-2004, 01:37 AM
JJ Reddick is ridiculous!

nyjunc
12-19-2004, 08:04 AM
JJ Reddick is ridiculous!

Rodiculously overrated. I am so sick of the Reick nonsense, it's worse than the duhon stuff but at least duhon turned into a good player last year after being awful as a jr. redick shot 37% from the field, wow! that's impressive. he gets most of his points from the line b/c he has perfected the duke flop even though he rarely gets fouled and he is a tremendous FT shooter. That's where I will give him credit, he's great at drwing fouls(even though most of them are not fiuls) and he's automatic from the FT line BUT he is a slightly above average 3 pt shooter but everyone goes gaga. He has perfect technique and and can catch fire so that's what these "experts" see, they don't see how he is shut down against decent defenders or how he shoots uper 30s-low 40s from 3 which is good but nowhere near the ACC or Nat'l leaders. It's not a coincidence that his 3 pt % goes down once ACC play begins and he's not playing the Valpo's of the world except this year he doesn't have a cushion like he has had his first 2 years. Right now he's only shooting around 40% so he'll probably end up around 35% from 3. Simply the most overrated player in CBB.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-19-2004, 12:08 PM
yo give me a break bro. I was at the game last night and he single handidly won the game for Duke. He is the best shooter in college b-ball hands down.

By the way nyjunc, your class has never beaten Duke's class so until you do, keep your mouth on lock!

nyjunc
12-19-2004, 06:59 PM
yo give me a break bro. I was at the game last night and he single handidly won the game for Duke. He is the best shooter in college b-ball hands down.

By the way nyjunc, your class has never beaten Duke's class so until you do, keep your mouth on lock!

Yes this class has beaten duke, we did it w/o Sean may in 2003 at Chapel Hill. Does this mean I can unlock my mouth?

Redick is nowhere near the best shooter in CBB. Maybe he should lead the ACC in 3 pt shooting or get amongst the top 30 in the Country before he can lay claim to that title. He is the best FT shooter but nowhere near the bst 3 pt shooter and the #s back that up.

nyjunc
12-23-2004, 10:12 AM
Although Randolph has been a major diappointment he is still a starter on a team w/ no depth so this hurts duke. Luckily they play such a creampuff sched and don't have a tough game until mid January.

http://theacc.collegesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/122204aae.html

Ferretsquig
12-23-2004, 11:49 AM

Christ what an idiot....do you even bother to think before you post? Reddick is nothing when he has a good defender on him. He struggles to get his shot off under pressure and has always had problems when Manuel is matched against him.

Granted UNC has had its fair share of troubles the last few years, but this year's team should sweep the dookies. They just matchup very well.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-23-2004, 03:22 PM
Well we'll see if your punk a$$ Carilona squad can get it done......Only time will tell. I gotta laugh though with someone from Carilona calling me an idiot, don't u got a cow to milk or something?

Ferretsquig
12-23-2004, 06:18 PM
Well we'll see if your punk a$$ Carilona squad can get it done......Only time will tell. I gotta laugh though with someone from Carilona calling me an idiot, don't u got a cow to milk or something?
Have you ever responded to a post with a logical argument or is your sole purpose just to stir up trouble? If in your opinion Duke has a great squad please elaborate on that and tell us why. Personally I think they are the 4th best team in the ACC this year.

Why you feel the need to write these pitiful insults in beyond me. You have no clue who I am or where Im from and in all probability have never ventured out of the city.

nyjunc
12-23-2004, 06:30 PM
Have you ever responded to a post with a logical argument or is your sole purpose just to stir up trouble? If in your opinion Duke has a great squad please elaborate on that and tell us why. Personally I think they are the 4th best team in the ACC this year.

Why you feel the need to write these pitiful insults in beyond me. You have no clue who I am or where Im from and in all probability have never ventured out of the city.

That's what he does, he never backs up any argument as to why he thinks duke is great but just continues to tell us in hopes that he will eventually trick us into believing it :lol:

FinsNYanksFan13
12-23-2004, 08:14 PM
I'll just wait until Feb. 9th to let my squad do the talking, I'm done talking with you UNC clowns in this thread. Your a joke just like your squad is. Can you say Santa Clara!

Ferretsquig
12-23-2004, 09:44 PM
Your squad? So you went to dook? It would be depressing if someone as inarticulate as you was a product of that school. Yes we will see MY tarheels take down the dookies. I have a lot of respect for coach k and what hes done over the years, but this year his team just isnt good enough.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-23-2004, 10:08 PM
Only time will tell!

nyjunc
12-24-2004, 09:00 AM
I'll just wait until Feb. 9th to let my squad do the talking, I'm done talking with you UNC clowns in this thread. Your a joke just like your squad is. Can you say Santa Clara!

Isn't it interesting how even w/ the SC loss the heels are still ranked ahead of duke? I can't wait until the Heels bring us back in time to the good old days when we dominated duke(pre '99). duke has ownd the Heels for a while but the Heels owned duke for alot longer prior to this stretch and the good old days are coming back.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-24-2004, 01:49 PM
As I said, ONLY TIME WILL TELL!

nyjunc
01-04-2005, 03:28 PM
duke didn't look to good the other night at home vs. a bad clemson team PLUS they lost reggie Love. Reggie stinks but he is what they consider depth in durham this year and w/ Shav out ther are paper thin up front.

FinsNYanksFan13
01-04-2005, 06:41 PM
Talk is cheap. A win is a win plus we were off for a couple of weeks so I'm not worried. We have Princeton and Temple to work out our kinks against so I'm not going to over-react. Love is a tougher loss then people think for the simple fact that he has logged minutes on a solid team a couple of years back, so he's not a stranger to the game. Randolph will be back quicker then people expect so he's not much of a worry either. Seeing him at yesterday's game was a major relief. No doubt we didn't play our A game against Clemson but we got hot at the right time and the rest is history. We'll see Feb. 9th who's who in the ACC. We play Wake, G-Tech, and Carilona all in one week. No better way to prepare for the ACC tourny and the NCAA tourny then taking on a week like that!

nyjunc
01-06-2005, 10:23 AM
Talk is cheap. A win is a win plus we were off for a couple of weeks so I'm not worried. We have Princeton and Temple to work out our kinks against so I'm not going to over-react. Love is a tougher loss then people think for the simple fact that he has logged minutes on a solid team a couple of years back, so he's not a stranger to the game. Randolph will be back quicker then people expect so he's not much of a worry either. Seeing him at yesterday's game was a major relief. No doubt we didn't play our A game against Clemson but we got hot at the right time and the rest is history. We'll see Feb. 9th who's who in the ACC. We play Wake, G-Tech, and Carilona all in one week. No better way to prepare for the ACC tourny and the NCAA tourny then taking on a week like that!

Wake, Tech and UNC is a tough week. Staring Sat the Heels play MD, Tech then at Wake in an 8 day span. I am looking forward to ACC play.

FinsNYanksFan13
01-06-2005, 04:01 PM
Good news nyjunc, BJ Elder's out 1-3 weeks!

nyjunc
01-06-2005, 04:05 PM
Good news nyjunc, BJ Elder's out 1-3 weeks!

Even though he torched us down at Tech last year I'd still like him to play. I'm very confident in this team and I'd rather play them at their best as it will only makes us better in the long run. Any update on when Shav will be back?

FinsNYanksFan13
01-06-2005, 06:09 PM
Not sure when Shav is back, they said he needed to rest for a month to 6 weeks about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I'm sure he'll be back for UNC, he was at the game the other night so if he's there, it's a good sign.

BJ Elder is a big loss to Tech and even though you can take more gratification in beating them at full strength, I for one wouldn't mind them getting upset a few times while he's out so that Duke has an opportunity to get a game or two lead on the top teams in the ACC early (or before we run into Tech, Wake, and UNC). Hopefully Tech will be upset by Miami tonight.!

FinsNYanksFan13
01-08-2005, 02:32 PM
I can't even lie nyjunc, Carilona is looking strong today against Maryland!

nyjunc
01-09-2005, 10:02 AM
That was as impressive a win as I have seen in a LONG time, Maryland has a good team but the heels made them look like a HS team.

nyjunc
01-13-2005, 10:06 AM
Heels 91 Tech 69

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/recap;_ylc=X3oDMTBpbmdmam0wBF9TAzI1NjY0ODI1BHNlYwN0bQ--?gid=200501120413

FinsNYanksFan13
01-13-2005, 04:05 PM
Right now, Carilona is the favorite hands down. Their destroying teams. We got NC State tonight and I think we'll take care of our business. I think a lot of teams in the ACC are overrated. I won't put Tech in there yet because Elder didn't play (not that he would of been much of a difference) but Maryland, NC State, and possibly Tech aren't Final 4 contenders IMO. I think Duke, Wake, and North Carilona are the real deal and after that I think the ACC has respectable teams, but no one I think will be making any noise when it counts!

nyjunc
01-13-2005, 05:50 PM
What a day of sports for myself on saturday. UNC at Wake at 1:30PM then the Jets play Pitt at 4:30PM. UNC-Wake is a huge game and if the Heels can get this one there is no way they don't win the ACC reg season title.

I am interested tos ee that Duke-State, State is better than they have shown and Duke has struggled at the RBC the past couple of years so I expect a good game but I also expect Duke to come away w/ the W.

FinsNYanksFan13
01-14-2005, 01:50 AM
You can't stop Melchionni, you can only help to contain him LMAO!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=250130152

nyjunc
01-15-2005, 09:17 AM
You can't stop Melchionni, you can only help to contain him LMAO!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=250130152

he has surprised and impressed me the few games I have seen him play. He can knock down the open jumper.

Today is probably the game of the year in the ACC(as far as the reg season goes) as UNC travels to Wake, I can't wait.

FinsNYanksFan13
01-15-2005, 05:10 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=250150154

wow man, Wake his 32 or 32 free throws. If Duke could shoot their free throws like that (aside from Reddick) our wins would look a lot more convincing they have!

FinsNYanksFan13
01-15-2005, 05:13 PM
and by the way nyjunc, no disrespect, but the regular season ACC games of the year are always Duke and N.Carilona. They could both be 0-100 and IT'S ALWAYS THE MATCH-UP OF THE YEAR!

FinsNYanksFan13
01-15-2005, 07:13 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=1966924

Interesting article by Andy Katz. Seems like Duke (and N.Carilona) get preferential treatment from schedule makers!

nyjunc
01-18-2005, 08:54 AM
and by the way nyjunc, no disrespect, but the regular season ACC games of the year are always Duke and N.Carilona. They could both be 0-100 and IT'S ALWAYS THE MATCH-UP OF THE YEAR!

In a given year i think THE game can cahnge, it was like that w/ Duke and MD for a couple of years. I think that Wake and UNC are the 2 best so it was a big game and they only play once in the reg season BUT obviously nothing compares to UNC and Duke and for the first time since '01 they will both be in the top 10(most likely) when they meet in a few weeks.

FinsNYanksFan13
01-19-2005, 04:50 PM
FSU are Giant Killers in Tallahassee. I remember when they beat us down there with Jay Williams, Boozer, ect. Wake Forest is just another victim!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=250180052

nyjunc
01-19-2005, 05:05 PM
I think that is the 8th ranked team they have beaten in the past 4 years or so including duke twice, they got the heels last year after UNC had aa huge 1st half lead. Look out for Miami, they have a pretty good team and if Duke isn't ready tonight they'll get picked off. The Heels venture to Litteljohn Coliseum to take on Clemson where we haven't had much success the past few years. Hopefully they whoop the Tigers tonight.

FinsNYanksFan13
01-20-2005, 01:32 AM
Randolph's back, Duke won. 14-0 baby!

nyjunc
01-20-2005, 09:37 AM
The Heels won too, It's about time b/c Clemson ahs owned us down there the past few years. They started the downward spiral at Carolina w/ a win vs. the Heels when we were #1 in 2001. Duke is still undefeated, a good job beating a dangerous Miami team but i am looking forward to seeing them play some of the upper echelon teams in the ACC.

FinsNYanksFan13
01-20-2005, 05:28 PM
27 up at the half with Clemson nyjunc. Kind of shocking considering N.Carilona had an average of something like + 18 in the first half of games this season!

nyjunc
01-20-2005, 05:40 PM
27 up at the half with Clemson nyjunc. Kind of shocking considering N.Carilona had an average of something like + 18 in the first half of games this season!

The big halftime leads have come at home, no one has been able to play w/ them at Chapel Hill. On the road the halftime scores have been closer, they were up big early last night but allowed Clemson to tie it at the break. I don't mind b/c I think they need more experience in close games b/c they will play some close games in March/April. This Clemson team gave duke everything they could handle at Cameron so a blowout at Clemson isn't too bad whether it came in the 2nd half or started earlier.

FinsNYanksFan13
01-20-2005, 05:51 PM
I wasn't knocking Carilona, just stating a point. They have been jumping down teams throats all year and have them teams reeling at the half. You could say what you want about Duke's win but they've overcome a lot and no matter whether it's pretty or ugly they keep winning. No doubt Duke can lose to Wake, N.Carilona, and Tech but what your acting like is like Duke has no shot to beat those teams which is completely false. Duke has as good of a shot to win the ACC as anyone else!

nyjunc
01-21-2005, 09:51 AM
I wasn't knocking duke either, just pointing out that Clem played a toigh game there and Carolina has struggled at Clemson the past few years so i'll tae a W any way I can get it.

I think duke can spring an upset at home against the Wakes, UNC's and Tech's but they have no shot on the road. I would say they'll split w/ Maryland, swept by Wake, swept by UNC, split w/ Tech so there final ACC record will be 10-6.

MikeO
01-22-2005, 04:34 PM
Nova' big over Kansas!

Lower level Big East team over the #2 overall team in the country! Big East looking strong once again.

FinsNYanksFan13
01-22-2005, 11:02 PM
The Big East and ACC lead, the rest of the nation follows!

MikeO
01-23-2005, 01:24 AM
The Big East and ACC lead, the rest of the nation follows!
And VT (pretty much a team built from Big East play and got their recruits from their big east play of the past few years) goes to GT and wins AT GT!!!!

Doesn't say much for the ACC when a team that was a doormat in the Big East for years, goes to the ACC and in their first year beats GT, one of the top teams in the conferrence! :lol: :lol:

nyjunc
01-24-2005, 07:14 AM
Nova' big over Kansas!

Lower level Big East team over the #2 overall team in the country! Big East looking strong once again.

It is but how come no mention of UMass(a low level A10 team) beating UConn? Or Pittsburgh losing to Bucknell? or ND losing to DePaul? or georgetown losing to Oral Roberts?

There is no doubt the ACC isn'y nearly as good as was expected at the beginning of the season BUT I still think it's the best but I am impressed w/ the BE. They don't have the # of big time teams but they have alot of good teams which is making it very competetive outside of SU(I can't count BC until they play some tough games)

FinsNYanksFan13
01-24-2005, 07:56 PM
I'd take the ACC's top 4, Wake, Duke, NC, and G-Tech over the top 4 of any other conference in the country!

nyjunc
02-01-2005, 04:30 PM
Tonight may be the last chance for illinois to lose a reg season game(this game and at Iowa in a few weeks). Mich State isn't a great team but they are dangerous at home so there is a chance of an upste.

nyjunc
02-02-2005, 07:09 AM
Illinois controlled the game from the start and won again. i think it's up to iowa, they went to OT at Champaigne so we'll see what happens in Iowa City..

FinsNYanksFan13
02-05-2005, 04:40 PM
It's put up or shut up time Wednesday nyjunc. Can't wait for this game!

nyjunc
02-06-2005, 07:11 AM
It's put up or shut up time Wednesday nyjunc. Can't wait for this game!

I can't wait, K was practicing his fainting skills for that game :D It's going to be fun, the first time since '01 that both teams are in the top 10 when we meet(I assume duke won't drop 4 spots after the Wake loss).

nyjunc
02-08-2005, 02:40 PM
It's time for round 1 of the BEST rivalry in ALL of sports as UNC will take the short trek over to Durham to take on Duke. It's the best rivalry in all of sports and anything can happen especially on the road but i'll be very surprised if the Heels don't win this one. The game itself should be great but there are a couple of individual battles that should be fun to watch w/ Shelden and May down low battling and jackie Manuel guarding JJ Redick. Jackie shut him down twice last year but I don't think it's possible to shut him down this year b/c he shoots 30 times a game so his point production makes it look like he had a good game evn though he shoots 6 for 23 or something like that. The bottom line is duke has no answer for Felton and McCants and Heels are better up front and can give May alot of help down low w/ Shelden. It will probably be close and they'll make me sweat but I expect a Heels win.

FinsNYanksFan13
02-08-2005, 04:56 PM
Sorry but Yankees-Red Sox is the best rivalry in sports. With that said this is the best rivalry in college sports. As far as depth, we can't sniff UNC but depth doesn't win games, games aren't won on paper. We'll just have to wait and see tomorrow night at around 11!

nyjunc
02-08-2005, 05:03 PM
Sorry but Yankees-Red Sox is the best rivalry in sports. With that said this is the best rivalry in college sports. As far as depth, we can't sniff UNC but depth doesn't win games, games aren't won on paper. We'll just have to wait and see tomorrow night at around 11!

Yanks-Sox is nowhere near Carolina-duke all-time. Yanks-Sox is the most overblown rivlary but ther ahve only been a few stretches in history where the yanks and Sox have been huge rivals, specifically the mid-late 70s and the last couple of years and add in that the Sox have never done anything until last year it's nowhere near UNC-duke- here are some interesting facts:

--- It's been almost exactly 50 years since Duke and Carolina played and at least one of them was not ranked. The last unranked matchup was Feb. 25, 1955 when 17-7 Duke (which had been ranked as high as 17 earlier in the season) beat 10-9 UNC (unranked all year).

--- Since that game, Duke and UNC have played 132 times. UNC has won 77, Duke has won 55.

--- One or the other was ranked in every one of those 132 games. One or the other was ranked by the AP in 131 of those 132 games. When they met on Feb. 27, 1960 neither was ranked by the AP, but UNC was No. 12 in the coach's poll (run at the time by the UPI, now the ESPN/USA Today poll).

This streak is even more amazing that it looks on the surface, since for the first 35 years of the streak, the AP ranked just 20 teams (not until 89-90 did they go to a top 25). In fact, from 1960-61 through 1967-68, the AP only ranked a top 10 -- yet Duke and UNC still kept the streak going. -- Of those 132 games:

-- UNC was ranked in 108 of them
-- Duke was ranked in 80 of them
-- Both teams were ranked in 56 of them
-- Both teams were ranked in the top 10 in 36 of them
-- Both teams were ranked in the top 5 in 10 of them
-- One team or the other was ranked No. 1 in 23 of them (Duke 15 times; UNC 8); one team was ranked No. 2 19 times; one team was ranked No. 3 22 times; one team was ranked No. 4 19 times; one team was ranked No. 5 13 times.
-- At least one team was ranked in the top 10 in 105 of the 132 games
-- At least one team was ranked in the top 5 in 87 of 132 games!!

--- During the 50 seasons since they last met unranked, Duke and UNC have combined to win six national titles (three each) and to play in 28 Final Fours (14 each) ... Actually, since both were in the 1991 Final Four, that means that either Duke or UNC has played in 27 of the last 50 Final Fours -- over half!

-- Bad omen for UNC ... In the last 20 matchups when both have been ranked in the top 10 (as this one will be), the lower ranked team has won 13 times ... the higher ranked team 7 times.

I am a huge Yankee fan and it's not even close, I never even considered the Sox a rival until the last 2 years. I considered the Mets, O's, Jays, indians and others more rivals than the Sox were.

MikeO
02-08-2005, 06:27 PM
Duke-UNC is nice. But, Ohio St-Michigan football is better.

nyjunc
02-08-2005, 07:09 PM
Duke-UNC is nice. But, Ohio St-Michigan football is better.

Nope, OSu-Mich is a great one but not quite UNC-duke.

FinsNYanksFan13
02-10-2005, 01:00 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

I'm not going to disrespect Carilona cause their a hell of a team but I think it's time you own up nyjunc and admit that Duke is a contender!

nyjunc
02-10-2005, 07:10 AM

I'm not going to disrespect Carilona cause their a hell of a team but I think it's time you own up nyjunc and admit that Duke is a contender!

Congrats on the W but I still don't think duke is a title contender and nothin that happened last night changed my mind. Carolina played as poorly as possible and duke played as well as they have all year and it was a 1 point win at home in a rivlary game. Like i have said a few times I expected UNC to win but anything can happen on the road in a rivalry game. I still think duke is a Sweet 16 type of team, I remember back in '92 when duke was #1 and the heels were around 20 and we beat duke at home in a 2 point game. It didn't mean we were a title contender and I still don't believe duke is a contender yet.

FinsNYanksFan13
02-10-2005, 09:43 AM
Please nyjunc, we were up on you the whole game. Sour grapes I guess, after all your smack talk your team couldn't get the job done. What happened to the confident talk that Carilona would beat us twice? It's all good, we'll just have to come to your place and beat you again!

FinsNYanksFan13
02-10-2005, 09:45 AM

Did someone say McCants?

nyjunc
02-10-2005, 09:49 AM
Please nyjunc, we were up on you the whole game. Sour grapes I guess, after all your smack talk your team couldn't get the job done. What happened to the confident talk that Carilona would beat us twice? It's all good, we'll just have to come to your place and beat you again!

I said going into this game that thought Carolina would win but anything can happen in a rivalry game on the road. I'm just not impressed to call them a title contender, the heels were brutal and duke played great yet it was a 1 point win at home. Enjoy it, they deserved to win but it's not a shock to see them win at home even against a better team.

FinsNYanksFan13
02-10-2005, 09:50 AM
Player of the Year!

"The best shooter in the country baby" - Dickie V

FinsNYanksFan13
02-10-2005, 09:52 AM
gotta run to clas nyjunc. After all your talk about Duke being an average team all we keep doing is winning. We never slipped against a Santa Clara, we were never blown out by Wake (Maryland's win is free throws at the end of the game). We'll avenge that loss this Saturday. Looks like you shouldn't sleep on a team THAT WENT TO THE FINAL 4 LAST YEAR!

nyjunc
02-10-2005, 09:59 AM
Vitale sickened me last year w/ his defense of JJ, I have never heard him so upset. I guess all the horrible shots he takes don't count according to him so his 42% from 3 is just a mirage. By the way, the great JJ did nothing last night. As usual his point total looks good but he shot 4 of 10(40%) from 3 and 4 of 12 overall(33%).

I never said duke was an average team, Is aid they were not a title contender. I have said since the beginning of the year they would be a sweet 16 team and nothing I have seen from them changes my mind.

FinsNYanksFan13
02-10-2005, 10:10 AM

Dean Smith 2 titles
Coach K 3
Any questions?

nyjunc owned!

nyjunc
02-10-2005, 10:27 AM
Dean Smith 2 titles
Coach K 3
Any questions?

nyjunc owned!

you obviously haven't followed CBB long, Dean coached most of his years in the times when only ONE team per conference made the Tournament so it's been easier in K's time. Dean and K are great coaches but what Dean did when year in and year out the ACC was by far the bst conference is more amazing. K has always been great but took it to new heights after Dean retired and the ACC dropped from best to mid of the pack.

Oh by the way, all time head to head:

Dean Smith 26 wins
Kroshoofksi 14 wins

FinsNYanksFan13 owned!
:lol:

Ferretsquig
02-10-2005, 11:09 AM
Vitale sickened me last year w/ his defense of JJ, I have never heard him so upset. I guess all the horrible shots he takes don't count according to him so his 42% from 3 is just a mirage. By the way, the great JJ did nothing last night. As usual his point total looks good but he shot 4 of 10(40%) from 3 and 4 of 12 overall(33%).

I never said duke was an average team, Is aid they were not a title contender. I have said since the beginning of the year they would be a sweet 16 team and nothing I have seen from them changes my mind.
That slow white boy gets a foul called every time he puts the ball on the floor. I'll admit, Ewing and Williams are very good players, although neither better than their counterparts at UNC. If McCants wasnt sulking around all game and actually put forth some effort they would of won that game. I dont know what Roy has to do to motivate that guy....but when he gets into one of his moods, its tough to get him going.

nyjunc
02-21-2005, 08:43 AM
I give redick alot of grief b/c I feel he's overratedbut he was GREAT last night against Wake. I have never been more impressed w/ him than I was last night, he took the team on his back and would not let them lose a 3rd straight. By the way, Thanks for knocking Wake a game back of the Heels :D

FinsNYanksFan13
02-23-2005, 02:57 AM
Looks like Julius Hodge and NC.State will be watching the tournament from home this year. It's ashame, he's a NY boy and I would of liked to at least seen him make the NCAA's, even if he lost in the first round!

nyjunc
02-23-2005, 08:32 AM
Looks like Julius Hodge and NC.State will be watching the tournament from home this year. It's ashame, he's a NY boy and I would of liked to at least seen him make the NCAA's, even if he lost in the first round!

That was a big time win for the Heels last night playing in a hostile environment w/o Rashad McCants against a State team that had been playing well recently. State still has a flicker of hope, they are 5-8 in the ACC an dif they can win their last 3 they'll make it(there's no way they'd keep an 8-8 team in the ACC out of the Tourney). They play Va tech at home, at UVa and home against Wake. They have an excellent shot the first 2 games and if they can spring the upset against Wake then I think they'd make it.

nyjunc
03-08-2005, 09:02 AM
FonsNyanksFan13: I just ant to say i am now finally impressed w/ duke and if they can stay out of foul trouble and be hot from 3 they have a chance to do some damage in March. They just play so hard, they really had no business even being in the game. No team has come close to beating the heels at home and duke almost did it. good luck the rest of the way and maybe we'll meet again on Sunday.

FinsNYanksFan13
03-08-2005, 01:32 PM
Man, I haven't been able to ge on, had a ton of work to get done Sunday and Monday but I did happen to see the game. No excuse, we had you guys and we blew it. It was a great game and Carilona will be there in the end if they play the way their capable of. I'm not gonna cry over spilled milk although I do have a gripe with the call on Williams at the end (I forget who he fouled). I thought his block was clean but the foul was called, Carilona hits one of two, gets the long rebound, make a great shot (and my hats are off, that was a great shot) and the rest is history. Carilona showed heart but that call pisses me off just like the non-call Boozer didn't get after grabbing the rebound on Jay Williams missed free-throw in the 2002 sweet 16 lol. BUt I can't complain, I'm a Duke fan and we have gotten plenty of phantom calls in the past so I guess what goes around comes around. All I can hope is that we meet in the finals of the ACC tourny and in either the Final 4 or the championship game. I love playing Carilona and I truly believe these are the two best teams in the nation no matter what UCONN, Illinois, Kentucky, or any other fan says.!

nyjunc
03-08-2005, 05:14 PM
There were some bad calls that went UNC's way, I thought the block was a foul but the Noel strip of ewing i thought was a foul BUT Shelden got away w/ alot that game and on the Melchionni 3 Ewing stepped out of bounds before he passed it so it should have stayed a 6 pt game at that point. It doesn't matter now, maybe we'll get to see rd 3 on a neutral floor.