PDA

View Full Version : Weis to ND?

Noland
12-04-2004, 04:12 PM
They just said on ESPNEWS that Charlie Weis is a candidate for the Notre Dame job.

CrunchTime
12-04-2004, 04:19 PM
Yes.I heard that too.He wants to be a Head coach whether it be pros or college.He is a great teacher and is known to spend extra time coaching and developing young players.Perfect for a college job such as ND..

gator_sensation
12-04-2004, 04:20 PM
Notre Dame just messed up with their whole coaching situation. They acted to fast. They are going to end up with someone worst than Ty. In regards to Weis, money talks. Can they really dish out $1.5 million or more a season for him like a couple of NFL teams can?

Noland
12-04-2004, 04:23 PM
I know that they got rid of Ty they needed to find someone better I believe that Weis would be a good answer. Weis would be good for any team I would think.

Jimmy James
12-04-2004, 04:23 PM
I love this idea. It *might* hurt the Patriots and yet we don't have to take a chance on him. Please, please let it happen! :)

finswin56
12-04-2004, 04:24 PM
Notre Dame just messed up with their whole coaching situation. They acted to fast. They are going to end up with someone worst than Ty. In regards to Weis, money talks. Can they really dish out $1.5 million or more a season for him like a couple of NFL teams can?
I don't think they will. UF blew them away negotiating for Meyer.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-04-2004, 04:33 PM
He's a good candidate although if I was ND I would look hard at trying to pry Gruden away. He's won a Super Bowl already and I think he would be a great coach there!

Noland
12-04-2004, 04:38 PM
Meyer is good or awesome but I think ND would probably spend more money on Weis. I would think I don't know that.

Jimmy James
12-04-2004, 04:42 PM
I don't think they will. UF blew them away negotiating for Meyer.

I really don't know much about the negotiations there, but I have to think it came down to which school was less likely to have unrealistic expectations that would lead to Meyer being the ex-coach of the team. Florida being pretty much stocked for a championship run as early as next year probably also helped...

DonShula84
12-04-2004, 05:22 PM
ND can afford 1.5 million+ and at this point they know they need to get a big name coach in there to start fixing the schools image. Weis also graduated from Notre Dame, so that might be added incentive for him to want to go there. As a HUGE ND fan I would be thrilled to have Weis or Gruden over Urban Meyer.

Fresh
12-04-2004, 05:29 PM
This would be great. He's a great offensive cord, so it would be great to get him out of New England. It would be a win-win situation for us, as we wouldn't have the chance to make the mistake of hiring him to be our HC, and we'd get him out of the division.

marinofan76
12-04-2004, 05:29 PM
Weis is an ND alum with a pro-style offense philosophy. Super bowl rings work wonders for recruiting. Money isn't really an issue as 1.5 million is on the low end for college coaches at elite schools (Bob Stoops, Saban, now Meyer all make over 2 million) I think its a good fit for ND, Weis, and a steal from the patsies.

tonynathan22
12-04-2004, 05:53 PM
We'll beat the Pats next year. Whether Weis comes to us or goes to ND, he'll probably be out of NE. It looks like he'll be a head coach somewhere!

Nublar7
12-04-2004, 07:53 PM
As well-respected as Weis is with the Patriots, he is NOT a big named person. If you walk down the street and ask a Football fan who the Offensive Coordinator of the New England Patriots is, I can guarantee you that 80% probably won't know. Wayne cares about people in his stadium, he will go for a big name(Holgrem(sp?), Martz, Saban)

CrunchTime
12-04-2004, 07:59 PM
A new name that emerged on Friday is Detroit Lions Coach Steve Mariucci, whom an agent in college football said had been approached by Notre Dame.

MarinoEqualsGod
12-04-2004, 08:00 PM
Yes, that's chump change to schools like ND

FinsNYanksFan13
12-04-2004, 08:01 PM
Well Mooch is an old name in the sense that he was in the running last time the ND job was open. It's being reported on ESPNEWS though that he's declinded their offer and will stay with the Lions!

Cannonboy
12-04-2004, 08:01 PM
I'm a big ND fan and Fin fan. Notre Dame got rid of Ty because they wanted Meyer. Meyer took the Florida job for more money and the fact they that get better recurits than the Irish. He wanted ND to bring at least 6 kids who have the talent but not the grades for regular students. IMO ND didn't want to do it. Although if they want to compete with the big boys they have to take that route. Wies is a ND alumus so he is defintely in the running for the job. This will take weeks to figure out. ND also wants the Iowa coach, who has ties with White the AD.

MarinoEqualsGod
12-04-2004, 08:05 PM
Meyer said that he didn't like how ND was so cocky when he talked to them

KB21
12-04-2004, 10:39 PM

They absolutely can. Notre Dame's endowment allows them to compete with any team in the NFL for a head coach. Not only does Notre Dame have a huge endowment, but they have a $6 billion contract with NBC to broadcast their games. They are an independent school, so they don't have to share that money with any other teams.

Notre Dame definitely has the finances to pay $1.5 million for a head coach. They've got the finances to pay $5 million if they so choose.

tomas101
12-04-2004, 10:48 PM
this is blowing up in ND's face....everyone has turned down this job, b/c they dont wanna deal with the politics that come with coaching at ND

DonShula84
12-04-2004, 11:07 PM
Ferentz the Iowa coach said today he wont leave his current job, you can cross him off the list. Weis makes the most sense, hopefully ND approaches him soon

Noodle Arm
12-04-2004, 11:55 PM
At the rate they're going, ND will be stuck with Wannstedt as their only option.

DonShula84
12-05-2004, 12:50 AM
At the rate they're going, ND will be stuck with Wannstedt as their only option.
Please dont say that, I love Notre Dame to much to see Wannstedt go there.

unifiedtheory
12-05-2004, 01:24 AM
I love this idea. It *might* hurt the Patriots and yet we don't have to take a chance on him. Please, please let it happen! :)
Agreed!:D

Noland
12-05-2004, 01:35 AM
Patriots will win with or without Weis I promise you that. don't forget BB.

Noland
12-05-2004, 01:40 AM
Meyer said that ND didnt offer him nothing it was not one team against the other florida offered him the job and he took it there was no intention to hurt ND he said something like that.

MikeO
12-05-2004, 01:42 AM
Yes they can pay him.

No, he isn't WORSE than Ty.

I think ND can go 5-7 or 6-5 without Ty:shakeno: