PDA

View Full Version : Rafer Alston to QUIT Basketball??

Fresh
12-04-2004, 06:00 PM
Alston says he needs time to think about return (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/raptors/2004-12-04-alston-done_x.htm)

BOSTON — Toronto Raptors coach Sam Mitchell benched Loren Woods and Rafer Alston after each was charged with technical fouls against the Boston Celtics on Friday night, and Alston said he might not want to come back at all.

"We were playing well, moving the ball, and we had semi-control of the game. Then two of our players' immaturity showed up," Mitchell said after the 91-89 loss at Boston. "I didn't even want to look at them. It was inexcusable how they conducted themselves."

Later in that article...

But Alston said he wanted to take some time to think about his career.

"It's tough right now for me," he said. "I'm going to talk to Sam and (general manager Rob Babcock). I think it's time. I'm tired of getting into it with my teammates and my coaches. I don't know if I'm a good fit for this team and I don't know if I'm a good fit for this league.

"I'm going to take some time off. I might not even play the rest of the season."

Man, I'd kill to have Skip back in Miami. Damon Jones is one of the best shooter this team has had in a long time, but he's not penetrating or playing defense like Rafer did. He has developed nicely. I remember when he was playing with the Bucks...he was a TERRIBLE 3-point shooter, now look at him. He got benched for a technical foul? LOL. If anybody remembers the playoffs last year, Rafer got a tech for slapping Baron Davis in the private. :roflmao:

Eddie Jones/pick or Wright for Alston/Rose? Yeah right, but that's NBA Live 2005 material! :D

FinsNYanksFan13
12-04-2004, 08:08 PM
Being from NY and going to the Rucker every summer, all I can say is skip to my lou has more game in his pinky then half the other PG's in the NBA!

Fresh
12-04-2004, 10:51 PM
Being from NY and going to the Rucker every summer, all I can say is skip to my lou has more game in his pinky then half the other PG's in the NBA!

Streetball-wise, yes. NBA-wise, no way in hell.

More comments from Rafer:

Alston, who signed a six-year contract worth between $25-$30 million US as a free-agent during the off-season, suggested that there are problems in the Raptors dressing room, pointing out that his previous team, the Miami Heat, was much closer, always there for each other.

"My mother didn't raise me to be this way and I'm not going to continue to embarrass myself," he said. "I'm not going to continue to embarrass my family and carry their name on my back every night and everybody's looking at Alston on my back and saying: 'He's an a--hole. He's a problem.'

"I'm not doing it any more. This is my fourth team and the only time I've really had fun was last year when I was on a team with a bunch of people where we just played hard together, we enjoyed being around together, and we didn't worry about who shot the ball. Even when we had an off night, the guys still pulled for each other. I'm tired of looking like the bad apple in the tree. I'm looking like the bad guy, and it's not right."

I'd take Alston back in a heartbeat.

VJ1252
12-05-2004, 03:13 AM
he tried to mend fences after their game on sat., probably not gonna happen but i can dream. maybe toronto would trade alston to try to satisfy vince who reportedly didnt like the signing of alston.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-05-2004, 03:52 AM
"Don't confuse me with these suckaz, cause when I spit, you hear more oh's then a Skip to my Lou move at the Rucker"

Lou's a legend. The Raptors better take him back, homey's got to much game!

Pink_Dove
12-05-2004, 07:04 PM
Babcock better wake up.
Mitchell is alienating his team by consistently benching the players that have off nights.He did it with Vince, Rafer, Rose and Woods.Even Bosh has regressed under Mitchell's tutelage. But it all starts and ends with Vince, he never backed the choice of Sam Mitchell as HC, and really is floating out there. Babcock should trade VC (who has looked as disinterested as ever) and Jalen Rose (I doubt there will be takers, IMO highly overrated) for young guys that are willing to play and give their best.

Fresh
12-05-2004, 08:35 PM
Lou's a legend. The Raptors better take him back, homey's got to much game!

I like Skip, but you're overrating him by far. Streetball & the NBA are 2 totally different games. Skip's a streetball legend and an above average NBA point guard. He's replaceable.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-05-2004, 10:16 PM
Skip to my Lou has more skill then any PG in the NBA but it doesn't make him a better NBA player!

Fresh
12-06-2004, 12:27 AM
Skip to my Lou has more skill then any PG in the NBA but it doesn't make him a better NBA player!

Again, he has more "streetball" skills.