PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me......

Baz
12-05-2004, 11:51 PM
......or does anyone else not enjoy posting in the main forum anymore? It used to be a place where I could go and talk intelligent Miami Dolphins football. Now, all I ever see is ricky williams sucks/doesn't suck, feeley sucks/doesn't suck, bates sucks/doesn't suck, etc. Any intelligent threads get buried and bumped to the 2nd page within a day or 2. I'd say about 5% of these posts have any intelligent, original subject matters. I simply just don't enjoy posting there anymore. Am I the only one who is going through this? I'm just wondering because I don't see many posts from people like CK, Wharf, 39, and many of the original members anymore......

Deez Nutz
12-05-2004, 11:53 PM
no, I agree. It does seem to be a little cluttered with the same pointless stuff. But there's generally a thread or two worth posting in

FIN-IN-RI
12-06-2004, 12:37 AM
It's not just you.

I have only been a member since February, but it was better when I first joined. All I see now are duplicate threads by trolls and people that just post jibberish. Numerous threads have been started by people who crave attnetion and don't even care if the thread is worth talking about, they just care about the attention they think they get. There is a lot more to it than this, but it was just meant as an example.

There are a lot of people that start threads here and I love reading their thoughts but they dont start threads as often as I would like(i think we can agree on who they are without even mentioning them).

Instead its somebody posting about what Rickys first name really is, or a thread will pop up demanding to start sage rosenfels every other day(you get the point?)..... I know I'm not perfect and I let my emotions get the best of me sometimes so people probably think that I'm one of the people you speak of so I take caution posting in this thread..

NaboCane
12-06-2004, 01:09 AM
......or does anyone else not enjoy posting in the main forum anymore? It used to be a place where I could go and talk intelligent Miami Dolphins football. Now, all I ever see is ricky williams sucks/doesn't suck, feeley sucks/doesn't suck, bates sucks/doesn't suck, etc. Any intelligent threads get buried and bumped to the 2nd page within a day or 2. I'd say about 5% of these posts have any intelligent, original subject matters. I simply just don't enjoy posting there anymore. Am I the only one who is going through this? I'm just wondering because I don't see many posts from people like CK, Wharf, 39, and many of the original members anymore......

It's not just you; but it's a tough issue.

I can tell you that the overwhelming majority of the time, I feel exactly as you do.

But then, to a great extent I also feel somewhat an outsider still; I only joined in May after looking in for a few months, and I certainly don't go back far enough to recall what you guys refer to as "the golden age" of FinHeaven.

So I'm in a strange spot; agreeing with you, yet not having a frame of reference for how much better some say the board was a couple of years ago.

Fin_Fanatic
12-06-2004, 02:54 AM
yeah i totally agree.... i'm fine with discussion, but 10 threads discussing who will be the next head coach is a little excessive. not much you can do about that though. just have to hope people wisen up and post comments in similar threads

Philter25
12-06-2004, 09:32 AM
Yup. I think there should be a football IQ test on this board and people with bad scores should be limited to 2 (____ sux) posts a day for wasting my precious time. The main board is a clutter mess of crap.

fins
12-06-2004, 10:56 AM
you're basically looking for a little more structure and more restrictions on new threads from the mods. Could work out, could make the matter worse.:confused2

FIN-IN-RI
12-06-2004, 12:39 PM
you're basically looking for a little more structure and more restrictions on new threads from the mods. Could work out, could make the matter worse.:confused2
I do know one thing:

Its not the mods/admins fault. They really can't control the type of people they let in they can only try and contain it.

If they were to make restrictions and stuff like that I think it would make finheaven look bad which shouldn't be an option. They really have enough non-profit work as it is, anyway.

BigFinFan
12-06-2004, 01:00 PM
In my opinion, the problem occurred as soon as phinzone (I think) collapsed.

Baz
12-06-2004, 02:57 PM

Haha, I am a Mod. I can tell you there isn't anything we can do to limit the idiocy I see there. I just get frustrated that most of these people are grown men with families, yet they act like prepubescent kids fighting for a place in the lunch line. Intelligent and original threads are few and far between. The ones that we do get are overrun with the same "Feeley sux" posts. Maybe I'm just upset because now I have nowhere to talk intelligent football anymore......

Philter25
12-06-2004, 03:07 PM
Haha, I am a Mod. I can tell you there isn't anything we can do to limit the idiocy I see there. I just get frustrated that most of these people are grown men with families, yet they act like prepubescent kids fighting for a place in the lunch line. Intelligent and original threads are few and far between. The ones that we do get are overrun with the same "Feeley sux" posts. Maybe I'm just upset because now I have nowhere to talk intelligent football anymore......
I think theres better convo in the lounge and ladies lounge. BTW since your a mod and all, wanna merge the 22 AJ Feeley threads saying the same exact thing into one super thread? That would be sweet. I love cheese.

BigFinFan
12-06-2004, 03:11 PM
Cheese lover!!!!

Philter25
12-06-2004, 03:14 PM
CHEESE?!?!?! WHERE!?!?!?!

12-06-2004, 04:34 PM
Example of too many new threads:

The "Official Bills/Dolphins Game Thread" was bumped all the way to the 5th page in less than 24 hours. Is there really that many things worthy of making a new thread about?

It seems like in the old days you could see the same good threads on the first page for days. Oh well. I hope John Simmons has some more adventures soon.

NaboCane
12-06-2004, 06:33 PM

Baz, I have an idea, maybe you guys (Mods, AJ) can bat it around; please understand that it's just an idea, I haven't thought it through completely, but I feel it's worth putting on the table.

1. Create a separate Miami Dolphins forum - say, a Premium Forum;

2. Maybe make it a pay forum - that way it justifies its existence by contributing to the financial health of the site as a whole;

3. But more than that: RESTRICT THE MEMBERSHIP TO ONLY THOSE WHO PASS A SET CRITERIA FOR the QUALITY of their posts

4. The criteria could be established by you and the other Mods, maybe with the input some of the long-time members as well;

5. You could have monthly evaluations of current members to assess that they are maintaining the level of quality and respect of the forum, and to evaluate prospective new members.

I know, I know - it's elitist as hell. And it would piss some people off. But wouldn't it also instill some accountability that you're (we're?) seeking?

Maybe this isn't the exact right way; maybe I'm even cooking my own goose by suggesting it, since with my occasional abrasiveness there's an even chance I'd be excluded. But maybe with some ideas from some of the others, we can come up with something better.

What do you all think?

FIN-IN-RI
12-06-2004, 06:43 PM
Yes!

FIN-IN-RI
12-06-2004, 06:43 PM
If they make a forum for premium memebrs ill become one!

FIN-IN-RI
12-06-2004, 08:02 PM
Baz, I have an idea, maybe you guys (Mods, AJ) can bat it around; please understand that it's just an idea, I haven't thought it through completely, but I feel it's worth putting on the table.

man, they should do that.

WharfRat
12-06-2004, 09:06 PM

2. Maybe make it a pay forum - that way it justifies its existence by contributing to the financial health of the site as a whole;

3. But more than that: RESTRICT THE MEMBERSHIP TO ONLY THOSE WHO PASS A SET CRITERIA FOR the QUALITY of their posts

4. The criteria could be established by you and the other Mods, maybe with the input some of the long-time members as well;

5. You could have monthly evaluations of current members to assess that they are maintaining the level of quality and respect of the forum, and to evaluate prospective new members.

I know, I know - it's elitist as hell. And it would piss some people off. But wouldn't it also instill some accountability that you're (we're?) seeking?

Maybe this isn't the exact right way; maybe I'm even cooking my own goose by suggesting it, since with my occasional abrasiveness there's an even chance I'd be excluded. But maybe with some ideas from some of the others, we can come up with something better.

What do you all think?

Already been done....

Have you seen the "Premium Member" badges floating around?

NaboCane
12-06-2004, 09:40 PM
Already been done....

Have you seen the "Premium Member" badges floating around?

What I'm talking about is a separate forum; like the Phins forum is separate from this one. Except that it would be restricted by password to only approved members. I'm sorry I wasn't clearer before...

fins
12-07-2004, 01:07 PM
What I'm talking about is a separate forum; like the Phins forum is separate from this one. Except that it would be restricted by password to only approved members. I'm sorry I wasn't clearer before...
it would be worth a shot, i know i wouldn't be given a password but it's good to have goals :)

FinHeavenAJ
12-08-2004, 09:28 AM
All premium members have their own forum. It's just hidden to all members that aren't Premium members...

However, I will soon be restructuring the Premium Membership soon... to make it a bit enticing for ALL members...

NaboCane
12-08-2004, 11:26 AM
All premium members have their own forum. It's just hidden to all members that aren't Premium members...

However, I will soon be restructuring the Premium Membership soon... to make it a bit enticing for ALL members...

Thanks AJ; I hope that you'll consider that what I'm suggesting is not just a pay forum, but one which requires approval by a commitee made up of Admins, Mods & other select members to join - and remain - a member.

I know it's more work that way, but you could add more Mods to help; I'm sure there are willing patners amoing the other members.

fins
12-08-2004, 11:39 AM

that's pretty cool

BigFinFan
12-08-2004, 01:09 PM
Finheaven is Cool!

inFINSible
12-09-2004, 07:52 AM
I agree Baz....I've been agreeing for a long time now.

My idea was to set up the premium membership forum as a place where we can get intelligent convo without discussing who's our favorite Dolphins player everyday..

The membership fee alone would keep most of the kiddies out.....you'd still get a few but they'd be mopped up pretty quick.

inFINSible
12-09-2004, 07:53 AM
:hitself: read the whole thread darin.....:o

Philter25
12-09-2004, 02:07 PM

Wow... theres a magical place where there are no "Feeley sux" threads?

Thanks AJ; I hope that you'll consider that what I'm suggesting is not just a pay forum, but one which requires approval by a commitee made up of Admins, Mods & other select members to join - and remain - a member.

I know it's more work that way, but you could add more Mods to help; I'm sure there are willing patners amoing the other members.
I concur. Its kinda like a finheaven frat where you need your buddies to vote you in after they see you are not a moron and know somewhat about what you are talking about. .....kinda like a secret society! oooh oooh, can we have a handshake?!?

NaboCane
12-09-2004, 03:12 PM
...I concur. Its kinda like a finheaven frat where you need your buddies to vote you in after they see you are not a moron and know somewhat about what you are talking about. .....kinda like a secret society! oooh oooh, can we have a handshake?!?

'Xactly!

TerryTate
12-09-2004, 04:20 PM

I find it sad sometimes that we have to police people that got at least 15 years on us sometimes...

Most of you guys are great though....

dolfan06
12-09-2004, 04:25 PM
......or does anyone else not enjoy posting in the main forum anymore? It used to be a place where I could go and talk intelligent Miami Dolphins football. Now, all I ever see is ricky williams sucks/doesn't suck, feeley sucks/doesn't suck, bates sucks/doesn't suck, etc. Any intelligent threads get buried and bumped to the 2nd page within a day or 2. I'd say about 5% of these posts have any intelligent, original subject matters. I simply just don't enjoy posting there anymore. Am I the only one who is going through this? I'm just wondering because I don't see many posts from people like CK, Wharf, 39, and many of the original members anymore......this site isn't anywhere's near as negative as some others i have posted on! :(

NaboCane
12-09-2004, 04:56 PM
this site isn't anywhere's near as negative as some others i have posted on! :(

Oh, I know...

I was on the Sun-Sentinel board for about 90 seconds or so once...seriously, it is 90% personal attacks and political crap.

NaboCane
12-09-2004, 04:57 PM
I find it sad sometimes that we have to police people that got at least 15 years on us sometimes...

Most of you guys are great though....

Yeah; makes you realize that age has little to do with maturity!

Hellion
12-10-2004, 02:12 PM
In my opinion, the problem occurred as soon as phinzone (I think) collapsed.

I agree, we had a huge increase in new members around that time, some for the good but most............not.