PDA

View Full Version : More Baseball moves

FinsNYanksFan13
12-17-2004, 12:06 AM
Mariners signed Beltre and Sexon (I like Beltre but ain't a big fan of Sexon)

Hudson traded to Atlanta (Great move by the Braves)

Of course the big one is Randy to the Yankees. Great move by the Yankees and also by the D-Backs who picked up Green and Penny. I'm a big fan of Vazquez but with the loss of Beltre, I'm not sure they could afford to lose more offense (even though I know they were dying to get rid of Green).

Any other moves made (or I forgot), feel free to add as the hot stove continues to heat up. Also, feel free to give your thoughts on the moves made already!

iceblizzard69
12-17-2004, 12:10 AM
As a Mariners fan, I'm stoked about Beltre if he plays like he did last year. I agree with you on Sexson though, I'm not too high on him. His batting average isn't good enough, but he will definitely be better than whatever we had at first base last year.

FinFanGirl
12-17-2004, 12:28 PM
Terrible MOVE by the Yankees -- a 41 yr old for our best catching prospect(Jorge is not getting any younger) and the 3rd base prospect that allowed us to get rid of Drew Henson. This is possibly the worst trade in the last 10 yrs for the yankees, possibly worse than aquiring kevin brown. We lose our ONLY prospects (the same prospects the A's would have taken for Huddy or Zito.) This is bad bad bad, i hope it doesnt go thru. Randy would need an extension, so we would have more money tied into him, along with the cash we would have to pay for Vazquez's contract. So tell me how this benefit's them? We could have Eric Milton for a fraction of the cost, no prospects and he has tremendous upside, especially since he is only in his late 20's and playing with a team that avg.s 7.2 runs a game. Thats tons of run support. I would rather have a rotation or Mussina, Pavano, Vazquez, wright and milton, then one that looks much like the one wehad last yr in age. Mussina(37), Randy(41), Pavano, wright and duque(38)... thats a lot of age.. and there is still Brown -- who i hoped they yanks would pawn off on the braves, but now that Huddy is there, there aint no way in hell we are getting rid of him.

LIQUID24
12-17-2004, 01:54 PM
As a Mariners fan, I'm stoked about Beltre if he plays like he did last year. I agree with you on Sexson though, I'm not too high on him. His batting average isn't good enough, but he will definitely be better than whatever we had at first base last year.
I'm a Mariners fan too. I love the Beltre signing and I'm glad we didn't overpay to get him. He plays good D and he's only 25 yrs old. I don't think he'll match last years numbers but he should be really good. I think we overpaid for Sexson, but we were desperate for a power hitter, and he's definetely an upgrade.

Gator Mike
12-17-2004, 03:10 PM
We lose our ONLY prospects (the same prospects the A's would have taken for Huddy or Zito.)No, they wouldn't. Navarro is an OK prospect, and Duncan is so far down in the system that he doesn't have a whole lot of trade value, yet.

Randy would need an extension, so we would have more money tied into him, along with the cash we would have to pay for Vazquez's contract. So tell me how this benefit's them?Because Randy Johnson would likely be MUCH better than Javier Vazquez was last year.

We could have Eric Milton for a fraction of the cost, no prospects and he has tremendous upside, especially since he is only in his late 20'sHonestly, as a Red Sox fan, I'd like to see them sign Eric Milton, too. Kid gave up 43 home runs last year in the National League... AL lineups would chew him up and spit him out.

I would rather have a rotation or Mussina, Pavano, Vazquez, wright and milton, then one that looks much like the one wehad last yr in age. Mussina(37), Randy(41), Pavano, wright and duque(38)... thats a lot of age.. and there is still Brown -- who i hoped they yanks would pawn off on the braves, but now that Huddy is there, there aint no way in hell we are getting rid of him.Hernandez is a free agent, who probably won't be resigned. I think the Yanks are stuck with Kevin Brown as a 5th starter.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-17-2004, 04:16 PM
Stuck with Kevin Brown as a 5th starter? I'll take Brown as a 5th anyday of the week. On top of that who cares if the Yankees gave up a third base prospect, A-Rod is under contract like 6 more years and is a future hall of famer. On top of that. Posada will be around for a good amount of years and if we need a catcher......WE WILL BUY ONE (just the truth, not trying to gloat). Our staff is disgusting and remember, with the Yankees, it's not about the future it's about winning now (which Johnson gives us a better chance of doing). I don't feel like waiting 2 or 3 more years for Vazquez to perform in the post-season, the time is now. If we had a pitcher like Johnson (who basically guarentees a win when he pitches) going in game 4,5,6, or 7 against Boston we would of win. The fact we didn't have a true dominant starter nipped us in the a$$. This is a great move by the Yankees. We don't need youth, we need a World Series Championship and Johnson gives us our best chance to get there!

FinFanGirl
12-17-2004, 06:43 PM
watch any sports talk show on TV and they will tell you that these are the YANKEES best farm kids. Duncan might be a little farther away, but navarro is ready and posada probably only has maybe at best 3 more yrs... im tired of buying people -- i would like to win, but a few in a row, with kids, im tired of the revolving door. The yanks are getting screwed in this deal...

FinsNYanksFan13
12-17-2004, 06:57 PM
I bet you never even have seen Duncan or Navarro play!

FinFanGirl
12-18-2004, 01:20 PM
Here's a clue for you -- i worked in minor league baseball for 3 yrs before going back to cal to get my master's degree... so if you want to know - i have seen both duncan and navarro play, and two yrs ago the yanks called navarro up he played in 5 games i believe.. He is probably a better defensive catcher than CJ, he needs a little work on his bat tho...