PDA

View Full Version : Tarver vs. Johnson

FinsNYanksFan13
12-17-2004, 12:15 AM
Boxing fans, this is a great match up this Saturday, the only men to beat (or should I say knockout) Roy Jones Jr. go toe to toe. Glen Johnson vs. Antonio Tarver in what should be a fight to unify the Light Heavyweight division (titles aren't on the line because Tarver and Johnson were supposed to fight the # 1 contenders but didn't because there was more money in this fight). Let's get some thoughts and predictions on the fight!

Prediction: Tarver in a unanimous decision

I think Tarver is to quick for Johnson. Johnson is tough but as long as Tarver can stay off the ropes (something Roy Jones Jr. couldn't do the first fight against Tarver or his last fight against Johnson) I think his speed will frustrate Johnson and his superior boxing skills (and jab) will keep Johnson at distance!

Any other predictions?

LIQUID24
12-17-2004, 12:48 AM
Tarver by UD. He's just too big for Johnson. It'll probably be a boring fight.

Tarver should move up to HW if he wins. Fight Byrd or Toney. That would be interesting.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-17-2004, 01:19 AM
I hope it's not a boring fight but if it is, at least it's on HBO and not on PPV for 50 bucks!

Martel
12-17-2004, 01:54 AM
I also think Tarver UD, possibly round 9 ko. Tarver will frustrate Glen and actually throw punches, something Roy forgot to do against Johnson. Anyone see Cotto roll last weekend? He's looking strong. How about Taylor thrash Joppy? Joppy made his self look real sorry. JT is my man!

Muck
12-17-2004, 09:41 AM
Tarver just because I saw him a few weeks ago when I was walking over to Subway. :D

I hope it's not a boring fight but if it is, at least it's on HBO and not on PPV for 50 bucks!

Amen to that. And the Klitscho fight will be replayed too.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-17-2004, 04:03 PM
Jermaine Taylor looked serious. Joppy isn't the best fighter but he's decent. He gets outclassed by better fighters (Hopkins and Tito) and Jermaine Taylor obviously is a better fighter (he won every round against Joppy). I think Taylor has a bright future and if I was his manager, I would put him in the ring with Hopkins. Win, lose, or draw Hopkins needs to pass the torch to Taylor. What better way to do that then to fight him for his 20th defense and like I said, win, lose, or draw, pass the torch to Taylor aftrer the fight and walk away (Hopkins I'm talking about)!

FinsNYanksFan13
12-17-2004, 04:05 PM
The Klitchsko fight was horrible. Danny Williams is a bum and knowing that this piece of trash knocked Tyson out only cements the fact to the world that Mike Tyson wil never ever ever ever be a force in this sport again (people always believe Tyson will return bu it will never happen)!

LIQUID24
12-19-2004, 12:33 AM
I was way wrong. This was not a boring fight at all. Great contrast in styles. I agreed with HBO, I thought Tarver should've won a close decision. But I can't complain, it was very competetive.

Big ups to Glen Johnson. Dude is a class act, wouldn't even call himself the best after his win. He's been robbed many times in his career and he finally got a decision to go his way. There should definitely be re-match though. Good fight.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-19-2004, 01:31 AM
I got home from the Duke game to watch the last 2 rounds. With the way Tarver was fighting you would of thought he had it in the bag. Lot of pitter pattering by him, didn't really land any hard shot. Suprised the decision went against Tarver in a close fight (which the announcers said it was, I only saw 2 rounds, both of which I thought Johnson won) since most of the time they give the close fight to the fighter who will draw better!

tehMick
12-19-2004, 03:14 AM
Glen Johnson gave mad props to Jamaica and Miami.
You know i got made love for him.
Merchant, Lampley, Jones Jr. and some other cat all said Tarver should've won in a close decision.
I saw the last six rounds; four of which i gave to Johnson.
I guess when there's a rematch we'll have a more definitive outcome.
In closing...
Glen Johnson:hump:

Muck
12-19-2004, 10:22 AM
Dammit, I missed the fight. Fell asleep.

I hate being sick.

Muck
12-19-2004, 10:25 AM
Just saw a quick SportsCenter highlight.

They said after the fight, Tarver asked for a rematch. And Johnson replied, "Any time, any place".

FinsNYanksFan13
12-19-2004, 12:06 PM
Tarver took the championships rounds off (at least the 2 I saw) and in a title match, that is a no no. Just ask Oscar De La Hoya. By the way, for those who don't have a membership to maxboxing, they scored the fight 116-113 for Tarver!