PDA

View Full Version : The "Heat is on" for Zo

Fresh
12-18-2004, 03:29 PM
LINK (http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-2/1103350277235940.xml)

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- As it turns out, Alonzo Mourning may be getting exactly what he wants -- a chance to play for a ring, in a comfortable environment.

Though it wasn't confirmed by any of the principals, an Eastern Conference general manager said last night that the former Nets center -- traded to Toronto in the Vince Carter deal yesterday -- is going to be redirected to the Miami Heat, the team he put on the map through the first 12 years of his career.

Btw- I used RealGM's trade checker to see what kind've deal fits under the cap for the Rose/Marshall to Miami for Jones/package deal. Jones, Allen, Doleac, & Wright works under the cap. Of course, by doing that, Wang Zhi-Zhi becomes our backup center. :roflmao:

But I'm sure this deal would only go down if we find a way to get Zo.

ohall
12-18-2004, 03:35 PM
I got to tell you X-Con as much as I love Zo his health has to be a serious question mark. Half of me says no way because of his health, but the other half says hell yes. He and Shaq would just be an incredible DUO, if Zo is healthy of course.

TerryTate
12-18-2004, 07:01 PM
Stephen A. Smith said yesterday that he just got off of the phone with GMs yesterday and there is some form of stipulation that says that Zo may be stuck in toronto for two months before he gets his release....do any of oyu remember hearing that during the breaks to the studio during the Heat-Nuggetts game last night...I KNOW i heard that...

TerryTate
12-18-2004, 08:16 PM
I dont think I could trade anything for Zo, id sign him as a FA if he was willing to take a big paycut...

Think about down the road, Damon Jones is only on a one year contract. IF he keeps playing at this level we have to resign him.

Fresh
12-18-2004, 08:56 PM
Think about down the road, Damon Jones is only on a one year contract. IF he keeps playing at this level we have to resign him.

DJ got a 2-year deal at $2.5 million per year. He got half of the mid-level exception.

DJ can opt out next year, but he's in it for the long run...he says he has no intention to opt out because he knows he'll get more open shots here than anywhere else. The Heat will once again have the MLE next year, and I hope we won't have to use part or all of it to re-up Jones.

Haslem is also a FA...but he's one of our FA's, and wouldn't be one by opting out. With that said, we can sign him for anything up to the MLE without it cutting into our MLE. Personally, I'd like to use the MLE on Bobby Simmons (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/bobby_simmons/?nav=page) or Tyson Chandler (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tyson_chandler/?nav=page). If we wind up with Jalen Rose, I'd go for Chandler and have Haslem back him up. If not, sign Bobby Simmons and send EJ to the bench. Then again, EJ's trade value will be fairly high next season.

Fresh
12-18-2004, 09:02 PM
FYI, I would not trade for Zo either. Michael Doleac for Zo is the only deal I'd do, but that doesn't work cap-wise. The only combo of players on our rosters that work straight up for Zo is Doleac/D.J., and I hope Riley isn't stupid enough to move Damon Jones for a risk like Zo.

Bodzilla29
12-20-2004, 01:57 PM
Got me thinking, maybe Miami-Toronto do the Jones-Rose trade, with a wink wink that the Raps buy out Zo, leaving him as a free agent. Of course we would demand Wright as part of the deal in order for us to take a loss on all those millions a buyout would generate.

I also could be talking out of my a-s-s living in fantasy land. If, at the end of the day and all the deals Babcock is going to(allegedly) make, if we don't end up with a blue chip prospect I am going to lose a lot of confidence in this franchise. We must have ne of the oldest rosters in the league and we still can't win.

nyjunc
12-21-2004, 05:49 PM
I wish 'Zo nothing but the worst on the court. I hope he is ok as far as his health and doesn't have any more problems w/ the kidneys but I wish him nothing but losing on the court.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-21-2004, 07:32 PM
I agree with NyJunc. Zo is all about Zo. If he was a real player, he would of toughed it out with Richard Jefferson and Kidd in Jersey. I'm glad New Jersey sent him to Toronto. He wanted a trade and he got one. Props to Jersey for sticking it to him!

Ferretsquig
12-21-2004, 11:44 PM
I agree with NyJunc. Zo is all about Zo. If he was a real player, he would of toughed it out with Richard Jefferson and Kidd in Jersey. I'm glad New Jersey sent him to Toronto. He wanted a trade and he got one. Props to Jersey for sticking it to him!
Yeh Im sure Kidd wants to "tough it out" in NJ. He wants out as soon as possible. This Carter deal will do nothing to deter him from his ultimate goal of getting shipped to a contender.

The Nets made their goals clear when they shipped Kenyon out to Denver...they were more interested in saving money than contending. If thats the stance a franchise is going to take, I have no problem with any player asking to get the hell out. The Nets are doing their best to maintain their status as one of the worst professional franchises of all time.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-21-2004, 11:59 PM
Zo should just be happy to be on the court. He's a punk!

Fresh
12-22-2004, 02:08 AM
If he was a real player, he would of toughed it out with Richard Jefferson and Kidd in Jersey. I'm glad New Jersey sent him to Toronto. He wanted a trade and he got one. Props to Jersey for sticking it to him!

You truly have no knowledge of the trade or what's going on in Jersey, do you? Jason Kidd has been lobbying for a trade since K-Mart jumped to Denver. Jason Kidd said in the summer that New Jersey won't contend for "the next three years" and that he "wants out". How can you be a leader of a team and sit up there saying your team won't contend for three years? Get real.

Also, the Vince trade STILL hasn't swayed Kidd to stay in Jersey: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/index

^Check the Insider article by Ford: "Kidd unconvinced; May still seek trade"

Oh, and about NJ trading Zo to Toronto...they didn't "stick it to him", they sent him to a better situation. It was almost a fact that NJ wasn't gonna buyout Zo's contract, but most expect a buyout from Toronto within the next few weeks.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-22-2004, 02:29 AM
X-Con, you think you know everything about basketball. Get off your high horse bro.

The fact is I can understand Kidd wanting a trade, he's led to Nets to 2 conference championships and deserves the franchises respect for taking them from a nothing team to a conference championship. Zo on the other hand took millions upon millions of dollars from the Heat and then did what when he was eligible to play? He ran to where the money was instead of playing for the Heat, the franchise that paid him one of the biggest contracts in the history of the NBA (a couple of years to watch is expensive suits). Then when he's declared "healthy to play" which he obviously wasn't (and he knew it, if u tell me different your fooling yourself) he gets money from the Nets, his kidney acts up and they paid him to do what, SIT ON THE BENCH. Then the guy gets a kidney transplant, something people die waiting for and he has the audacity to ask for a trade, give me a break. A real man would be thankful to be on the court again, would be respectful to a franchise that took a chance on him when they knew his kidney could act up anytime (which it did) and a real man would be trying to make the kids around him better, you know, leading by example. Zo obviously doesn't want to do that, he wants to get a cheap ring and is all about himself. A real man would of re signed with the Heat after they paid him and took care of him when he was sick, a real man would of be thankful to the Nets for taking a chance on him and paying him to be in street clothes last season. Zo isnt' a real man, he's a punk, the type that jumps ship the first sign things aren't going his way. As far as Toronto being a better situation, yeah moving to Canada is really what a guy who's lived in Florida the last 10 years wants to do. It's not a better situation, it was the Nets sticking it to him because if they weren't, they would of traded him to a contender.

One more thing about Kidd, Kidd can demand a trade because he has earned the respect of the Nets and is an elite player. Zo is nothing more then an average player now who doesn't command the respect of demanding a trade. Zo should be ashamed of his behavior. Maybe Sean Elliot should remind him just how precious his second chance is and they he should be happy that he's on the court no matter who he's playing for. It's funny, Zo has no problem being apart of a loser when he's cashing people's checks when he's on the bench but the second he's healthy again he'll turn his back on the franchise that laid out the $$$ to watch him sit courtside in street clothes!

Fresh
12-22-2004, 03:05 AM
X-Con, you think you know everything about basketball. Get off your high horse bro.

The fact is I can understand Kidd wanting a trade, he's led to Nets to 2 conference championships and deserves the franchises respect for taking them from a nothing team to a conference championship. Zo on the other hand took millions upon millions of dollars from the Heat and then did what when he was eligible to play? He ran to where the money was instead of playing for the Heat, the franchise that paid him one of the biggest contracts in the history of the NBA (a couple of years to watch is expensive suits). Then when he's declared "healthy to play" which he obviously wasn't (and he knew it, if u tell me different your fooling yourself) he gets money from the Nets, his kidney acts up and they paid him to do what, SIT ON THE BENCH. Then the guy gets a kidney transplant, something people die waiting for and he has the audacity to ask for a trade, give me a break. A real man would be thankful to be on the court again, would be respectful to a franchise that took a chance on him when they knew his kidney could act up anytime (which it did) and a real man would be trying to make the kids around him better, you know, leading by example. Zo obviously doesn't want to do that, he wants to get a cheap ring and is all about himself. A real man would of re signed with the Heat after they paid him and took care of him when he was sick, a real man would of be thankful to the Nets for taking a chance on him and paying him to be in street clothes last season. Zo isnt' a real man, he's a punk, the type that jumps ship the first sign things aren't going his way. As far as Toronto being a better situation, yeah moving to Canada is really what a guy who's lived in Florida the last 10 years wants to do. It's not a better situation, it was the Nets sticking it to him because if they weren't, they would of traded him to a contender.

One more thing about Kidd, Kidd can demand a trade because he has earned the respect of the Nets and is an elite player. Zo is nothing more then an average player now who doesn't command the respect of demanding a trade. Zo should be ashamed of his behavior. Maybe Sean Elliot should remind him just how precious his second chance is and they he should be happy that he's on the court no matter who he's playing for. It's funny, Zo has no problem being apart of a loser when he's cashing people's checks when he's on the bench but the second he's healthy again he'll turn his back on the franchise that laid out the $$$ to watch him sit courtside in street clothes!

I think I know everything about basketball? LOL, don't get mad because I reply to your post disagreeing with you by presenting facts. Personally, I think you say a lot of stupid stuff and hide the facts by your own opinions. Usually, you just hop into every thread about Zo saying, "Oh, Zo is a punk!"

Basically, you're contradicting yourself. After you say that Kidd is "toughing it out", when I point to you that he cried like a b*tch to be traded...you start telling me about all his "accomplishments". LOL, that's funny. It doesn't matter what he's done - he's in a position where he's 31-32 years old and wants a championship, just like Mourning. Career-wise, Zo deserves a ring more than Kidd, IMO. Zo left Miami because we weren't contending with anybody and the Nets were coming off an Eastern Conference Championship season. He's a punk for crying to get a chance to be on a championship contending team? Hell no, he's smart for that.

Jason Kidd doesn't deserve the sorry excuses you give him. In your theory, if he was a "real man"...he'd stick it out and help the franchise get back to being a contender.

And in case you didn't know, Jason Kidd is not an elite player right now. He didn't have a very good season last year. Sure, he averaged 19.2 assists...but an elite guard does not score 15 points a night in 37 minutes shooting 38% from the field. And this year, he's been injured for most of the year and has been average since coming back(yeah, the injury is still holding him back a bit). Kidd can still do a lot of stuff, but he's not an elite player anymore. He's still one of the games best passers, but he's not elite.

nyjunc
12-22-2004, 08:03 AM
You truly have no knowledge of the trade or what's going on in Jersey, do you? Jason Kidd has been lobbying for a trade since K-Mart jumped to Denver. Jason Kidd said in the summer that New Jersey won't contend for "the next three years" and that he "wants out". How can you be a leader of a team and sit up there saying your team won't contend for three years? Get real.

Also, the Vince trade STILL hasn't swayed Kidd to stay in Jersey: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/index

^Check the Insider article by Ford: "Kidd unconvinced; May still seek trade"

Oh, and about NJ trading Zo to Toronto...they didn't "stick it to him", they sent him to a better situation. It was almost a fact that NJ wasn't gonna buyout Zo's contract, but most expect a buyout from Toronto within the next few weeks.

Kidd had every right to be upset b/c he just re-signed last year and the Nets were contenders when he did BUT 'Zo barely played last year and I didn' hear him whine about reciving millions to rehab when he KNEW there was an excellent chance that would happen so he basically stole money(the ONLY reason the Nets gave him that contract was b/c Kidd wanted his buddy 'Zo there). Alonzo has barely played the past few years yet has collected huge paychecks and when that was happening never did you hear a peep out of him but then he can play and all of a sudden he's amking demands? Who is Alonzo Mourning to make demands like that? he was a good player but he was never great and should have kept his mouth shut.

As for Kidd, let's see what the Nets do in the frontcourt, if they can get some decent help up front they coould be BETTER than they have been the past few years and if that's the case he'll be staying.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-22-2004, 01:48 PM
Jason Kidd is an Elite player and why you ask? Because he makes everyone around him better. I ain't contadicting myself bro, Kidd has the right to ask for a trade because HE'S DONE SOMETHING FOR THE NETS, where on the other hand Zo did nothing but sit on the bench and collect a check. Kidd MADE THE NETS FRANCHISE the last couple of seasons, what has ZO done. I hate to tell you this, but stats don't make an Elite player. By your standards Michael Vick must be a horrible QB. Maybe right now because Kidd is coming off of a major knee surgery he may not be playing like and Elite player but he will come around. Jason Kidd has made the Nets these last couple of years therefore, him asking for a trade is respectable, where as Zo has done nothing for the Nets or any other team since what, the 2000 Olympics (where he left early when the illness was detected). Those are the facts. An Elite player wins and make he people around him better something Zo hasn't done with the Nets. and like I said before, thousands of people die every year waiting for a Kidney replacement and would love one just to have a second lease on life. Maybe Zo should start thanking his lucky stars that he's able to play basketball again as opposed to making demands he doesn't deserve to make after riding the Nets bench last year and doing nothing for them but starting a fight with Kenyon Martin. Now if Zo would of offered the Nets their money back if they traded him (which I know the players association wouldn't allow but if he did it out of good gesture), I could respect his want for a trade but since all Zo has been good for taking money while riding the bench, he deserves NOTHING!

Fresh
12-22-2004, 03:08 PM
Jason Kidd is an Elite player and why you ask? Because he makes everyone around him better. I ain't contadicting myself bro, Kidd has the right to ask for a trade because HE'S DONE SOMETHING FOR THE NETS, where on the other hand Zo did nothing but sit on the bench and collect a check. Kidd MADE THE NETS FRANCHISE the last couple of seasons, what has ZO done. I hate to tell you this, but stats don't make an Elite player. By your standards Michael Vick must be a horrible QB. Maybe right now because Kidd is coming off of a major knee surgery he may not be playing like and Elite player but he will come around. Jason Kidd has made the Nets these last couple of years therefore, him asking for a trade is respectable, where as Zo has done nothing for the Nets or any other team since what, the 2000 Olympics (where he left early when the illness was detected). Those are the facts. An Elite player wins and make he people around him better something Zo hasn't done with the Nets. and like I said before, thousands of people die every year waiting for a Kidney replacement and would love one just to have a second lease on life. Maybe Zo should start thanking his lucky stars that he's able to play basketball again as opposed to making demands he doesn't deserve to make after riding the Nets bench last year and doing nothing for them but starting a fight with Kenyon Martin. Now if Zo would of offered the Nets their money back if they traded him (which I know the players association wouldn't allow but if he did it out of good gesture), I could respect his want for a trade but since all Zo has been good for taking money while riding the bench, he deserves NOTHING!

No, you contradicted yourself when you said that Kidd is "toughing it out" in NJ. How is he "toughing it out" when he's causing distractions by asking for a trade? That was the main thing that I found awkward about your post, and it jumped out to me. You're making excuses for Kidd because he took the Nets to the Finals and got blown out. Sure, he did a lot for that franchise, but he didn't exactly "make" the franchise. Without K-Mart the past couple of years, the Nets would've been an 8th seed caliber team at best. Ask Kidd, he knows it. As soon as K-Mart leaves for a much better team, Kidd cries for a trade. Jason Kidd is doing a worse thing than Mourning. He's playing for a team that he said has no chance of contending in the next three years. Sorry, but if he wants my respect he can stop beating his wife as well.

And no, from what I've seen...he's not exactly an elite player anymore. He's getting up there in age and you could see it in his game. Like Mourning, he has been slowed down by injuries, although not a kidney problem which is huge. Like I said, he's an elite passer and up there with the elite players. However, in today's game with today's new stars, he's just not elite anymore, man. He was, but not anymore. He's definately not a top 10 player.

Basically, we're never gonna agree on the matter. We may as well just agree to disagree.

Bodzilla29
12-22-2004, 03:37 PM
Zo is a punk because he wants to *play* for a contender, but when given the oppurtunity to rip up his contract he said no, pay my *** what I want. If he really really wanted out, he'd be out by now. But no, Mr. $100M contract wants the $11m he is *owed* by New Jersey, but doesn't want to earn it.

Zo and Kidd are 2 COMPLETELY DIFFERANT cases and cannot be compared. Zo is a punk because he could be a FA if he really wanted to be. He has shown that he is all about the benjamins and there is nothing wrong with that. Just don't turn around and flat out lie to your public and say you just want to win because it is obviously a pile of horsesheet.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-22-2004, 04:03 PM
Thank you Bodzilla for bringing sense to this thread!

FinsNYanksFan13
12-22-2004, 04:16 PM
and X-Con, I got no personal problem with you, you just have to stop sticking your nose up at everyone else's opinion on basketball. You know a lot, I know a lot, and there's always 2 sides to the story, we are just taking 2 different sides. I think Zo is a punk and that's how I'll feel about him forever after his behavior. Your obviously a fan of his and that's fine with me, I got no problem with that, I just have a problem with a guy who should be thankful he's waking up every morning (let alone playing basketball) making silly demands when everyone knows he's all about the $$$. If I was a Heat fan, I wouldn't want this punk back after they paid him what, 20 mill a year to do nothing and then he just flat out leaves them for more money from the Nets when HE OWED THE HEAT!

Fresh
12-22-2004, 06:57 PM
Thank you Bodzilla for bringing sense to this thread!

He didn't bring "sense" to the thread, he brought his "opinion" to the thread, which is exactly what everybody is here to do.

Fresh
12-22-2004, 06:59 PM
you just have to stop sticking your nose up at everyone else's opinion on basketball.
I don't have to stop doing anything. Every time I disagree with you, you come out with the "you think you know more than everybody" crap, which is not what I'm here for. I could care less. I'm not sticking my nose up at "everyone's opinion on basketball", I'm simply replying to you by disagreeing. Like it or hate it, I don't care. I have a right to share my opinion as well. Point is - you made a comment that was wrong, and I replied to you by stating the facts. That was my first reply to you in this thread, yet I'm "sticking my nose up at your opinion on basketball".

You would've never made that comment if I agreed with you.

Btw- I'm not a huge Zo fan. Lenard was always my guys back in the Timmy-Lenard-Mash-PJ-Zo days. I bet I'm the only old time(from back in the day) Heat fan here who has never had a Zo jersey. I just always had respect for what he brings to the table. It's not about favorite players, it's about winning. Last year was about favorite players because I knew we had no shot at a title. This year is different. 100% healthy or not(obviously not), Zo is still a threat in the post, especially in the East. With Zo on this team playing 15-20 minutes a night with a few 25 minute games, we'd have a threat in the post basically for the entire game.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-22-2004, 07:47 PM
ok ok, you know everything, you proved me wrong, your facts are better then mine, blah blah blah :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: