PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Big Unit to Yanks is complete

MikeO
12-30-2004, 03:23 PM
Just the paperwork needs to be submitted.

Yanks staff is much better than last year.

2004: Mussina, Brown, Vazquez, Lieber, Hernandez

2005: Johnson, Mussina, Pavano, Wright, Brown

When your #2 starter becomes your #5 starter.......you know you have improved in a big way!

iDolFan
12-30-2004, 03:45 PM
Just the paperwork needs to be submitted.

Yanks staff is much better than last year.

2004: Mussina, Brown, Vazquez, Lieber, Hernandez

2005: Johnson, Mussina, Pavano, Wright, Brown

When your #2 starter becomes your #5 starter.......you know you have improved in a big way!
Thats what I'm talking about!! :rocker:

I like Brown, but he sucked in that important playoff game, and im sad to see hernandez leave :(

But NYY should be in the Series with that line-up. Pitching was the only thing holding them back last year. Add Carlos Beltran and MAN!! :cooldude:

FinsNYanksFan13
12-30-2004, 06:51 PM
The best thing about Randy is that not only has he shown he can pitch twice in a 7 game series, but he can also come out of the pen on practically no rest to get outs!

tehMick
12-30-2004, 06:59 PM
The word "Big Unit" has to be against the new TOS.
Since this is a "gray area" for me i'm reporting it to the Admins.
:ban:
:yes:

FinsNYanksFan13
01-03-2005, 11:38 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1958269

Selig approved the trade. Only thing left is for Randy to sign a 2 year extension!

SMadison29
01-04-2005, 02:58 AM
The Yanks are gonna give the Cubs a run for the best rotation in baseball. I don't think Brown will remain with the team.

Wood, Prior, Zambrano, Maddux, & Rusch.

ohall
01-04-2005, 03:00 AM
The Yanks will find a way to choke again.

FinsNYanksFan13
01-04-2005, 04:52 AM
We'll see, anything can happen. Obviously the Yankees haven't won for a few years so buying players hasn't worked out. But I'm more confident with Randy Johnson then I am with any other pitcher out there right now. If we had Unit last year it would of been lights out for the Red Sox. The Red Sox have Schilling and we have Unit, we'll see next October who the better man is. As far as Brown goes he'll definitely be back. The Yankees are not gonna pay most of his salary for him to pitch for another team. He'll be back, especially with El Duque gone. I think Brown will have a solid year and will bounce back as long as he doesn't punch any walls. He's our fifth starter so I expect big things from him since he doesn't have to carry the load and definitely will not be the one taking the ball in a game 7 for us next October!

MikeO
01-04-2005, 10:28 AM
The Yanks will find a way to chokle again.
Which will make everyone happy and prolong the fact there won't be a Salary Cap.

If the Yanks spend spend spend, and LOSE......then go pay a $25 mill luxery tax, THERE WILL NEVER EVER EVER EVER BE A SALARY CAP! If they are gonna spend that much and lose, then pay a huge amount back into the system, why change that system ever? The other owners would be nuts!

You will ONLY get a salary cap if the Yanks (or a team that spends the 2nd most or even 3rd most) win the world series like 8 times out of 10 years or something crazy like that.

But everytime the Marlins win. Or the A's and Twins make the playoffs, it shows you don't need to spend a ton of money to "win" and just pushes the salary cap "notion" deeper into outer space.

MikeO
01-04-2005, 10:30 AM
The Yanks are gonna give the Cubs a run for the best rotation in baseball. I don't think Brown will remain with the team.

Wood, Prior, Zambrano, Maddux, & Rusch.
If the Yanks are gonna pay $85-95% of Brown's salary, he isn't going anywhere. If your gonna pay that much of his salary, might as well keep him and throw him in the bullpen. Why pay that much for him to pitch for someone else, let alone against you if he stays in the AL.

The guy was garbage last postseason, but he is still Kevin Brown and is still a decent pitcher who if he is healthy (rare I know) can be somewhat productive.

ltfinfan
01-04-2005, 11:09 AM
The word "Big Unit" has to be against the new TOS.
Since this is a "gray area" for me i'm reporting it to the Admins.
:ban:
:yes:

on that note "Yanks" seems pretty offensive too.

plus "Chokes"

Prime Time
01-04-2005, 04:35 PM
But everytime the Marlins win. Or the A's and Twins make the playoffs, it shows you don't need to spend a ton of money to "win" and just pushes the salary cap "notion" deeper into outer space.

Yeah but this happens once every 5 years or so. All these teams lose their key players because they cannot afford to keep them. Baseball needs a cap. That is FACT!

FinsNYanksFan13
01-04-2005, 06:32 PM
I hate to tell everyone, but most of the owners in baseball are BILLIONAIRES. You get out of your product what you put in. These owners complain about attendence yet they field a triple-A team you could see down the road for 50 dollars less. If they want people to come, they need to field something that's going to make the people come (which will make them buy Jersey's, concessions, ect) There's an old saying.........."scared money don't make money." All these owners have the ability to spend like Steinbrenner if they want, they choose not too. Look at the Forbes book, NONE OF THESE TEAMS LOSE MONEY, THEY ALL MAKE. On top of that a lot of these trash owners take the tax Steinbrenner pays AND POCKET IT, instead of spending on their teams. The only way you can have a salary cap in baseball is if you don't have guarenteed contracts. Look at the NBA, they claim to have a salary cap but they really don't, they have a luxary tax that allows big spenders like the Knicks ways around it the "salary cap." The only league that has it right is the NFL but even the players are getting tiresome of non-guarenteed contracts and being cut at the drop of a hat. With that in mind a salary cap will never work in MLB and it honestly isn't needed IMO. The Twins seems to be doing fine because they know how to work the system, same with the A's, the Marlins, and any other team that knows how to build a player in a farm system. There are a lot of small market teams on the rise (the Indians, the Marlins, the Padres, ect) who can all make the playoffs so all those teams feeling sorry about themselves can complain and miss the playoffs while the organizations that do it right have figured out a way to work the system and be successful!

muscle979
01-04-2005, 07:39 PM
I hate to tell everyone, but most of the owners in baseball are BILLIONAIRES. You get out of your product what you put in. These owners complain about attendence yet they field a triple-A team you could see down the road for 50 dollars less. If they want people to come, they need to field something that's going to make the people come (which will make them buy Jersey's, concessions, ect) There's an old saying.........."scared money don't make money." All these owners have the ability to spend like Steinbrenner if they want, they choose not too. Look at the Forbes book, NONE OF THESE TEAMS LOSE MONEY, THEY ALL MAKE. On top of that a lot of these trash owners take the tax Steinbrenner pays AND POCKET IT, instead of spending on their teams. The only way you can have a salary cap in baseball is if you don't have guarenteed contracts. Look at the NBA, they claim to have a salary cap but they really don't, they have a luxary tax that allows big spenders like the Knicks ways around it the "salary cap." The only league that has it right is the NFL but even the players are getting tiresome of non-guarenteed contracts and being cut at the drop of a hat. With that in mind a salary cap will never work in MLB and it honestly isn't needed IMO. The Twins seems to be doing fine because they know how to work the system, same with the A's, the Marlins, and any other team that knows how to build a player in a farm system. There are a lot of small market teams on the rise (the Indians, the Marlins, the Padres, ect) who can all make the playoffs so all those teams feeling sorry about themselves can complain and miss the playoffs while the organizations that do it right have figured out a way to work the system and be successful!
You're wrong, yes most owners have plenty of money but their teams don't bring in the revenue and can't becaues they don't play in a city of 8 million people. They all can't spend as much as Steinbrenner can, that is not true.

There is somehting called the minor leagues and the farm system, real teams use that as well as free agency to develop their teams. Steinbrenner lets his farm players rot. They ruin the game of baseball and I am not alone in that opinion. The funny thing is they go out year after year and buy the best talent available and still haven't won a world series in several years even though they are the favorite every season. The fact that they were nearly swept by a marlins team with a 100 million dollar less payroll makes me almost embarrassed for them, that is if I didn't hate them so much.

I agree a salary cap isn't needed, but how about a little respect for the game from a certain owner. Go ahead and love your yankees but you'll see their little formula for success will continue to be unsuccessful.

FinsNYanksFan13
01-04-2005, 11:24 PM
Please man, look at the Forbes guide. EVERY TEAM MADE A PROFIT!

MikeO
01-05-2005, 09:00 AM
You're wrong, yes most owners have plenty of money but their teams don't bring in the revenue and can't becaues they don't play in a city of 8 million people. They all can't spend as much as Steinbrenner can, that is not true.

There is somehting called the minor leagues and the farm system, real teams use that as well as free agency to develop their teams. Steinbrenner lets his farm players rot. They ruin the game of baseball and I am not alone in that opinion. The funny thing is they go out year after year and buy the best talent available and still haven't won a world series in several years even though they are the favorite every season. The fact that they were nearly swept by a marlins team with a 100 million dollar less payroll makes me almost embarrassed for them, that is if I didn't hate them so much.

I agree a salary cap isn't needed, but how about a little respect for the game from a certain owner. Go ahead and love your yankees but you'll see their little formula for success will continue to be unsuccessful.
Answer me this......how can one city (Detroit) be a big market team for hockey. Then a small market team for baseball???

Baseball owners are cheap by nature and don't want to spend money. Do the Yanks make more than everyone else, sure. But the Reds, Twins, Royals, and everyone else is making enough to produce winners.

muscle979
01-05-2005, 10:32 AM
Answer me this......how can one city (Detroit) be a big market team for hockey. Then a small market team for baseball???

Baseball owners are cheap by nature and don't want to spend money. Do the Yanks make more than everyone else, sure. But the Reds, Twins, Royals, and everyone else is making enough to produce winners.
I realize most cities can spend like NY but they are just trying to do things the respectable way. There is something to be said for teams that can develop their own talent. With the exception of Jeter who do the Yanks have that they brought up from the minors and made into a good player?? They just don't do it they buy players once other teams do all of the work for them.

muscle979
01-05-2005, 10:34 AM
Please man, look at the Forbes guide. EVERY TEAM MADE A PROFIT!
Making a profit and throwing around millions to steal talent developed by other teams because you can't do it yourself are two different things.

FinsNYanksFan13
01-05-2005, 03:04 PM
muscle, the Yankees have been buying players since Babe Ruth, have you been living in a cave the last 85 years???

MikeO
01-05-2005, 08:55 PM
With the exception of Jeter who do the Yanks have that they brought up from the minors and made into a good player?? They just don't do it they buy players once other teams do all of the work for them.
Posada, Bernie, Rivera, Soriano, Andy Petite (obviously before they left).

And who doesn't buy players. Didn't Houston last year buy Beltran, Roger, and Pettite?? How about St.Louis?

And if you devolpe players and then trade them for better players why is that a mortal sin? It's called good business.

MikeO
01-05-2005, 08:58 PM
Making a profit and throwing around millions to steal talent developed by other teams because you can't do it yourself are two different things.
So, St.Louis, Atlanta, LA, Mets, Red Sox.....they all steal too right. I mean vlad gurrero just fell out the sky and is playing for free for the Angles. Andy Pettite is doing voulenteer work for the Astros. Only the Yanks steal, everyone else is playing by the rules. LOL

I hope someday that where some of you guys work they have a salary cap and they come to you one day and say. "Boy Bob, your doing great work with the computers, but at $60,000 a year your not worth it. We are gonna need to cut you down to $25,000 a year or your gonna have to take a hike."

Once that happens to you, then we will see how you feel about a salary cap in baseball or any sport for that matter.

FinsNYanksFan13
01-05-2005, 09:08 PM
Couldn't of said it better myself MikeO...GO YANKEES!

muscle979
01-06-2005, 05:12 PM
muscle, the Yankees have been buying players since Babe Ruth, have you been living in a cave the last 85 years???
No kidding, did I ever say they didn't, or that I have ever liked them???

muscle979
01-06-2005, 05:21 PM
So, St.Louis, Atlanta, LA, Mets, Red Sox.....they all steal too right. I mean vlad gurrero just fell out the sky and is playing for free for the Angles. Andy Pettite is doing voulenteer work for the Astros. Only the Yanks steal, everyone else is playing by the rules. LOL

I hope someday that where some of you guys work they have a salary cap and they come to you one day and say. "Boy Bob, your doing great work with the computers, but at $60,000 a year your not worth it. We are gonna need to cut you down to $25,000 a year or your gonna have to take a hike."

Once that happens to you, then we will see how you feel about a salary cap in baseball or any sport for that matter.
Don't you dare compare Atlanta to the yankees. They lost 3 players last offseason that hit over 35 hrs. (Sheffield,Lopez,Castillo) They lost chipper jones and marcus giles for a couple of months apiece early on to injuries, and yet they still won their division for the 13th straight year. Players can succeed in a place like atlanta when they didn't really do anything elsewhere. (Johnny Estrada became an allstar last season in atlanta). They pulled up several rookies from their minor league teams who were immediately able to contribute and help pull them out of a slump and win some games, (Nick Green, Adam Laroche, Charles Thomas). They lost Greg Maddux and had to work with a less than spectacular pitching staff. They won with great coaching and by really knowing how to use their minor league talent. Given the same circumstances I am positive the yankees would have been a sub .500 club and wouldn't have come close to winning 96 games like the braves did when everybody thought they would be in the NL East basement.

If I am so wrong about the yanks then why do so many other people share my opinion?? And don't cop out with some stupid "envy" crap because they haven't even won the number of titles they should have the way they operate. As a matter of fact they are actually getting worse every year. :roflmao: :roflmao:

muscle979
01-06-2005, 05:21 PM
And by the way Mike, I stated in an early post that I AM NOT in favor of a baseball salary cap, so go spew that crap to somebody else.

Oboy
01-06-2005, 05:33 PM
This is all mute. Yes the Yanks spend more $ than anyone. Well they are ALWAYS one of the top teams. Yes they may not win it all every year, but they are almost always in the playoffs. Which is fun for their fans. I don't like the fact they can spend more than any other team, but on the same hand I hate the fact that a team like the Brewers can continually dump salary and yet collect a lot of money in revenue sharing. The system has flaws sure, but the Yanks are not the only ones 'working' the system. Some owners really do not care to even try to make their teams competitive.

There is a LARGE amount of people that are bandwagoners. If you paid a bit more to make your team competitive more people would like that team and buy merchandise, and attend games.

Baseball is what it is and I personally like having some mega teams that we all love. Either love to hate or love to cheer for. Say what you want, but this thread would have never been this many posts if there were not strong passions on both sides. THAT is what makes this game fun.

NaboCane
01-06-2005, 06:12 PM
So; what I want to know is - how's Steinbrenner going to make Johnson shave? He's got that fetish about having all his players look like a new-millennium version of The Village People, and TBU has a thing for mullets and scraggly beards!

:lol:

FinsNYanksFan13
01-06-2005, 06:21 PM
The 32 million dollar extension Randy just signed is how Steinbrenner's going to get him to shave!