PDA

View Full Version : Everyone Read THIS. (EDIT: CLEANED)

Boomer
12-31-2004, 04:14 PM
Not so many of us visit the Lounge here at FH. Thus few of us see this.....

I implore you to donate what you can. Have one less beer tonight. Every little helps. There were just under 3000 people killed on September 11th 2001. On December 26th 2004 it may turn out that there were 200,000 people killed. Just puts it in perspective. Any money that you can donate will help feed, help cloth, help save people who now have nothing. It will help stop the spread of cholera and Legionnaires Disease that could end up killing as many people as the Tsunami did. If ANY of you have seen footage of the waves, you will know what you should do.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has holidayed in SE Asia. Please help.

Moderators....Muck...I URGE you to keep this a sticky even for just a week, so that the maximum amount of people can see this and donate even the smallest amount. Don't act like it's not in your backyard.

Thanks
Boomer.

CLICK HERE AND HELP

http://www.dec.org.uk/

Or here:
http://www.finheaven.com/photo/data/500/3318AsiaDSMasthd.JPG (https://redcross.org/donate/redir.asp?FrntPgMsthd)

CrunchTime
12-31-2004, 04:21 PM
My cousin was on her honeymoon and she is still missing.Her husband went jogging and saved himself but they cant find her .Its very tragic.

FIN-IN-RI
12-31-2004, 04:25 PM
My cousin was on her honeymoon and she is still missing.Her husband went jogging and saved himself but they cant find her .Its very tragic.
Im sorry to hear about that Crunchtime. Your cousin will be in my prayers tonight for a safe return.

Boomer
12-31-2004, 04:26 PM
Geez.....yeah Crunch....I'm really sorry mate. Truly.

For no other reason than the effect that it has had here at FH, please, please give what you can.

FIN-IN-RI
12-31-2004, 04:27 PM
Geez.....yeah Crunch....I'm really sorry mate. Truly.

For no other reason than the effect that it has had here at FH, please, please give what you can.
I will.

SuperDuperFan
12-31-2004, 04:29 PM
Very sad what happened. It makes us realize exactly whats important, especially during this time of year. I donated through my company and Im hoping to think of a way to raise some more. Thanks for the post though.

Steveo 90
12-31-2004, 04:34 PM

I am very sorry to here that......Prayers are being said for as I type!!!

I have also sent A donation........

CrunchTime
12-31-2004, 04:51 PM
Im sorry to hear about that Crunchtime. Your cousin will be in my prayers tonight for a safe return.She was on the island of Phiphi which I think is off Thailand.My uncle went over to join her husband to look for her but they are burning all the bodies because of fear of disease.Her name is Frances Cooper.

FinzManiac
12-31-2004, 04:55 PM
Planning to donate somewhere with the next couple of days. It sure is a tragedy....

Oh and I am sorry to hear that crunch.....Frances will be in my prayers.

miamikid92
12-31-2004, 05:00 PM
im sorry i dont have money i spent it all on my basebal cards but maybe i will give some after my allowance

FinsFan74
12-31-2004, 05:06 PM
Crunch....I am truly sorry to hear about that....as with many others, she will be in our prayers

CanePhin22
12-31-2004, 05:07 PM
Absolutely. I've already given to The Red Cross and all those affected are already in my Prayers. God BLess.

P.S.- Here is a link to rather graphic photo that might help put this in perspective for some of you. Caution, viewer discretion is advised.

http://homepage.mac.com/jlgolson/ruumiita4ft.jpg

Abouzeid
12-31-2004, 05:15 PM
Good post, I donated 100 Pounds which is about $190 in U.S Dollars

TerryTate
12-31-2004, 05:39 PM
Or click on my sig pic :)

We have lived during the worst natural disaster in recorded history folks as far as human casualties.

CrunchTime
12-31-2004, 05:42 PM
Crunch....I am truly sorry to hear about that....as with many others, she will be in our prayers
I barely knew her.We live in different countries but I feel for my uncle.Its so unexpected.She was poolside when the Tsunami came.

darkoak
12-31-2004, 05:44 PM
I barely knew her.We live in different countries but I feel for my uncle.Its so unexpected.She was poolside when the Tsunami came.
All the best to you and your family in this time of sorrow. Keep your chin up Crunch.

Dolphination73
12-31-2004, 05:48 PM

I implore you to donate what you can. Have one less beer tonight. Every little helps. There were just under 3000 people killed on September 11th 2001. On December 26th 2004 it may turn out that there were 200,000 people killed. Just puts it in perspective. Any money that you can donate will help feed, help cloth, help save people who now have nothing. It will help stop the spread of cholera and Legionnaires Disease that could end up killing as many people as the Tsunami did. If ANY of you have seen footage of the waves, you will know what you should do.

Moderators....Muck...I URGE you to keep this a sticky even for just a week, so that the maximum amount of people can see this and donate even the smallest amount. Don't act like it's not in your backyard.

Thanks
Boomer.

CLICK HERE AND HELP

http://www.dec.org.uk/Boomer,

Thank you so much for starting this thread Mate! My fellow Dolfans... I am a proud native of Sri Lanka residing in NY for the last 14 years. My parents still live there and I happy to report that no one known to me (family or friends) perished in that catastrophe. I am however devastated by the loss of life and extensive damage. As most of you may be aware, Sri Lanka was the second hardest hit country next to Indonesia with a death toll of close to 30,000 people. I abandoned my plans for New Year's Eve... Just couldn't bring myself to celebrate with my countrymen in such distress.

The link I'm posting below will allow you do donate directly to aid the victims in Sri Lanka. Every little bit helps. Thank you fellow Dolfans for taking the time to read this post! Happy New Year to you all and God Bless!!

Has

Link: http://www.helpsl.org/ (http://www.helpsl.org/)

Disnardo
12-31-2004, 05:50 PM
Crunch, I offer my condolences and prayers...

CrunchTime
12-31-2004, 06:31 PM
Crunch, I offer my condolences and prayers...
Thanks for your prayers ands condolences.We over here are getting together for a prayer circle.

ohall
12-31-2004, 07:06 PM

I'm so sorry man. That is awful.

edsta74
12-31-2004, 07:07 PM
my wife and i will be going to a local mosque to donate some things. this is the worst catastrophe in history. Our prayers go out to all affected.

Crunch.. a prayer will be said for your cousin. best of luck

Wakey
12-31-2004, 07:11 PM
For those that donate..

Please make it cash because the cost of delivering donated goods to that area is cost prohibitive.

It's much cheaper for a relief agency to purchase truck loads of the proper foods that the people in that region would actually eat.

HysterikiLL
12-31-2004, 07:21 PM
Sorry to hear that Crunch. It just shows us how devastating it can be for one person, let alone the families of hundreds of thousands. I'm going to donate in a few days when I get some more money..

Mods should stick this too.

BengalsFan
12-31-2004, 07:33 PM
That's awful Crunch. My thoughts are with your family and everyone involved in this terrible tragedy. This is truly horrible.

Prime Time
12-31-2004, 07:57 PM
Crunch my condoloscense go out to you and your family. Hopefully they find her. Keep us updated and good luck.

Jt0323
12-31-2004, 09:13 PM
I had 50$ from christmas i was goning to use it and but a Game but i donated it...Its for a good cause...Also i got my dad to donate 50$...

Phinz4Life
12-31-2004, 09:53 PM
Absolutely. I've already given to The Red Cross and all those affected are already in my Prayers. God BLess.

P.S.- Here is a link to rather graphic photo that might help put this in perspective for some of you. Caution, viewer discretion is advised.

http://homepage.mac.com/jlgolson/ruumiita4ft.jpg

Oh man. I thought it was just a damage pic...scrolled down...goddamn. That stuff is what keeps you up at night. Horrible.

GatorsFins23
01-01-2005, 12:48 AM
Oh man. I thought it was just a damage pic...scrolled down...goddamn. That stuff is what keeps you up at night. Horrible.
I know....I thought the FL hurricanes this year were bad, but this just puts everything into perspective. My prayers go out to everyone affected by this disaster, and if i had anything more than pocket change, it'd go straight to the relief effort.

ErroneousFlint
01-01-2005, 11:15 AM
I'm not gonna name names, but like I said before, there are times when it is not particularly a good idea to joke about things like this.

My best friend brought up a good point tonight. Society (the USA in particular) sees the world in three perspectives.

1) The society and people directly around them (family, town, state, etc)
2) REALITY TV, infotainment - Crap on the news, reality TV that isnt really reality
3) Real world news

The sad part about perspective #3 is that most people dont take things like this to heart. If a catastrophe happens halfway around world, no one seems to care because they are selfish. A lot of people don't care about this latest disaster, even though it already looks to be the most deadly natural disaster in recorded history.

A lot of people used the american casualties of the iraq war as a platform for election policy, and then when the election was over, people stopped caring for the troops that were dying abroad. How horrible is that? (I'm not trying to turn this into a political thread, so lets just leave it at that)

I guess my point is, people need to stop being selfish. I have paid attention to the south asia crisis more closely than the average citizen, and I will admit, ive welled up a few times after seeing some images.

One of the biggest regrets i have is when I was 8 years old and Hurricane Andrew hit. My mom asked me to come help pass out relief supplies and I declined. I wish i did that, just so I would have a teeeeeny tiiiny idea of what first-hand destruction is like. Me going through a category 2 eye of a hurricane this past year doesnt compare, any other hurricane doesnt compare, but I just wanted to see how lucky I really am.

Sorry, that was my public service announcement.i completely agree with you on the fact that america is taught, starting with dependency on american media, then american education and henceforth from both, isolation from the rest of the world. we are a country whose majority speaks one language. so on this isolation of of the american people i agree that this isolation is nurtured from day one.

my original point had nothing to do with what i feel about the misfortune suffered by the people who were afflicted with the natural disaster.
it raised a question and pointed out something very true. the tragedy just happened to be the subject that was being talked about.
you may or may not disagree, but many times there are threads moved to political or somewhere else, wherever is deemed fit when it HAS to do with football because some MOD or some administrator of this site is too much of a coward to allow a subject that may be of an opinion against one of their own.
when you first start out here, this site says that it welcomes your valued opinion and when it happens to be an opinion that, for whatever reason, its shut down, tossed out or just omitted from being posted as if it was never an idea in the first place.
so now i'm supposed to keep my valued opinion to myself? if thats the case, then admstn. should state:
TOS rules apply and opinions contrary to staff or majority of posters will not be allowed.

thank god my world is not like most of this site. freedom of speech, opinion and expression. take that away or try to suffocate it and you may as well shut down your site.

i stated my point and its not gonna change. you can judge all you want. its synonymous with breathing for most, not all, but most of you, who cannot allow somebodys opinion to post without clobbering him or her.
think about it. most of you are too weak to withstand an opinion contrary to your own as if any of this makes a difference.
and tate, youre a MOD i think; in this thread alone, there are many remarks and offenses that, by your so-called rules (why have em?), have been overlooked so you can make one more self-righteous statement, alluding to selfishness.
if youre talking about my post that was selfish:
not allowing threads that i post falls under the same category, since this post has the same right to be seen as other posters. no?

would it have been less impolite if i offered my opinion with softer words?
i would say 'yes'.
now, if you want to do the right thing, i would remove every post in this thread containing me or reference to me so that the spirit of this thread can get the attention it set out to.
i only made a comment and tangoed all the way here.
my apologies to anyone if i have offended. i require none, myself, but i will come out into the streets to meet anyone if they threaten my freedom.
i welcome whatever i see on here, because each post is from a person and no one is inferior in my eyes if they are bold enough to say what they believe. smoke it and blow the smoke to the rest of the forum.
enjoy and happy new year and may peace find you all.

Ohiophinphan
01-01-2005, 11:41 AM
Getting back to the point of this thread, let me urge everyone to make some kind of contribution to the relief efforts.

This comes with a caveat however!

Please make sure you use an aid organization with a proven record. Red Cross, unicef, the charitable arm of your religious affiliation, etc. I make mine through Lutheran World relief whose overhead is funded through seperate contributions thus all donations to this disaster go for aid. Others have similar policies. While tradgedies like this bring out the best in most folks, they also bring out the crook in a few.

Be generous but be wise as well.

NJPHINFAN
01-01-2005, 12:17 PM
The sad part about perspective #3 is that most people dont take things like this to heart. If a catastrophe happens halfway around world, no one seems to care because they are selfish. A lot of people don't care about this latest disaster, even though it already looks to be the most deadly natural disaster in recorded history.
Let me go you one better Terry...it doesn't have to happen half way around the world for people to distance themselves, it merely has to happen out of your view.

An example is the Oklahoma City bombing. The enormity of the situation was lost on everyone that was not directly effected by it, me included. That was until 9/11...at least for me.

It is one thing to not have perspective, but it is another thing to gain perspective and then lose it. Anyone who has been directly affected by a tragedy similar to this (where there was an extreme loss of life to deal with) knows what I mean. If you have gained perspective in life, please do not turn your back on it. Do what your heart tells you to do. I guarantee you will feel better about yourself and you will be helping others.

Another item I read from this Tsunami disaster was about a village of people that survived the Tsunami but lost everything. Just as they were being rescued they were attacked by Crocodiles. Talk about irony. They survive a disaster of biblical proportions only to have to defeat another huge foe in order to survive.

If a 12 year old kid can give up his baseball card money then we can all do something!

FIN-IN-RI
01-01-2005, 01:06 PM
Erroneous....do yourself a favour and sit this thread out. This isn't about you or about politics or anything else.

And to the rest of you, why haven't you donated yet?

(Hey Rick, Jeff)
I donated.

Boomer
01-01-2005, 01:16 PM
I donated.

Well done mate. Tell your friends. Get them giving up their cash.

lotion
01-01-2005, 08:42 PM

Thanks
Boomer.

CLICK HERE AND HELP

http://www.dec.org.uk/

I'm sorry for anyone that has lost something or someone due to the tsunami but you can't really compare it to 9/11.
9/11 was an act of war, the tsunami was an act of nature.

TerryTate
01-01-2005, 09:07 PM
I'm sorry for anyone that has lost something or someone due to the tsunami but you can't really compare it to 9/11.

I had this argument with someone earlier that was quickly resolved...Boomer is comparing it as far as loss of human life was concerned. And its not even close to comparable. Everyone knows that the tsunami was an act of nature and 9-11 was an act of terrorism.

You cant compare why these happened, but you can compare figures.

JPhinfan86
01-01-2005, 10:13 PM
A lot of people used the american casualties of the iraq war as a platform for election policy, and then when the election was over, people stopped caring for the troops that were dying abroad. How horrible is that? (I'm not trying to turn this into a political thread, so lets just leave it at that)

This is what boils my blood. There is a Republican rich girl I know who tried to defend Bush on the basis of the Iraq War. She talked until she was blue in the face about helping the Iraqis yet she had absolutley NO IDEA that the death toll for Americans had surpassed 1,000 troops. She was oblivious to the armor shortage on the humvee convoys. You're 100% right about this with some people. They use it to argue for the election and when it's done it's done. Some people are just plain ignorant. I asked her last week if she had any knowledge of the mortar that hit the American mess hall killing over 20 troops.....I recieved a blank stare. My point is that there are a few people who are completely out of touch with the situation in Iraq. Even i'm not as informed as I think i'd like to be. I think that it is important for the American public to see the number of caskets that arrive stateside with our nations flag drapped over them. When you actually see the number of dead in a tangible form it gives amazing perspective. Like the fact that the U.S. lost a grand total of 28,686 men on Iwo Jima. To me each one of those are my 4 friends serving in Iraq and my best friend who is in the Marines. The Japanese lost approximately 20,000 troops at Iwo Jima. Sorry for dragging on but for some people to be completely unaware of 150,000 deaths is shocking. Then there are some who just see it as a figure. Great point Terry.

fins4o8
01-02-2005, 09:04 AM

its tragic to see/read on what happened in east asia. i will donate what i can. hope things turn around for them.

about your cuz CT, i hope she is found alive & well. I wish there family & urs the best in this tragic news.

CrunchTime
01-02-2005, 10:46 AM
My uncle has sent out the following request for help.They have given up hope.The resort area she was staying at was in Phi Phi Don the island made famous by Leonardo Di Caprio in the movie "The Beach".The Hotel was placed between two bodies of water so it would have recieved the tsunami from two sides.

I'm currently looking for my daughter who is missing in Thailand after the tsunami struck. Her name is Francisca Cooper. She is caucasian, blond wavy hair, 1.70 mts tall, athletic, 26 years old, and was spending her honeymoon with her husband Mr. Aurelio Montes at the Princess Resort in Phi Phi Island. She has a small scar at the front base of her neck.

Our whole family is really desperate, and we don't know if she's alive or conscious

Boomer
01-02-2005, 11:26 AM

Don't want to get into this but the 'behaviour' of 9/11 is a learned behaviour. It COULD be controlled. The act of nature CAN'T be controlled. And that's scary.

CrunchTime
01-02-2005, 12:49 PM
BTW I dont want to take away from the spirit of this thread which is to collect funds for the victims of the tsunami so if you want to delete my posts feel free to do so.I regret I posted it because the topic has nothing to do with a football team MB and personal eperiences really dont belong..They are just that.Personal experiences to be shared with family and friends.

Boomer
01-02-2005, 01:05 PM
BTW I dont want to take away from the spirit of this thread which is to collect funds for the victims of the tsunami so if you want to delete my posts feel free to do so.I regret I posted it because the topic has nothing to do with a football team MB and personal eperiences really dont belong..They are just that.Personal experiences to be shared with family and friends.

Hey, you're posts are ALL THE MORE REASON for people to post and ALL THE MORE REASON to donate. The thread has nothing to do with a football MB thread but then 150,000+ people being killed by freak waves have nothing to do with everyday life normally.

Finsperfect72
01-02-2005, 07:50 PM
Crunch, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I was at the Fins-Ravens game today and the Red Cross was collecting cash outside the stadium. I was happy to donate as were many others; the total collected was $75,000 just at one stadium (the Ravens kicked in $25,000). I hope other teams did the same today.

Your posts should not be deleted. I like to think of all FH'ers as 'family' and the enormity of what happened transcends football by leaps and bounds. You needed to share your experience and you should feel like it's okay to do it here. God speed to your cousin (hopefully with a safe return).

FinzManiac
01-03-2005, 07:26 AM
I donated to the Red Cross at the Ravens/Finz game today.

FireWrongstedt
01-04-2005, 03:51 AM

My God Crunch, I'm very sorry. I will pray for you and your family.

CrunchTime
01-04-2005, 05:43 PM
My God Crunch, I'm very sorry. I will pray for you and your family.Thanks for your donations and prayers.

I am sad to report her body was found in a morgue.My uncle had given up hope of finding her so at least this gives some closure to the tragedy.The family will be giving her a proper funeral.

Please donate whatever you can to help the survivors.There are approx.150.000 people reported as casualties,millions have been left homeless and have lost all of their possesions.Many are in danger of starvation and contracting diseases.These numbers are bound to go up as statistics are compiled.

Sal Lisitano
01-04-2005, 05:55 PM
Sorry to hear this CrunchTime...my thoughts and prayers are with her and her family.

FireWrongstedt
01-04-2005, 06:01 PM
Thanks for your donations and prayers.

I am sad to report her body was found in a morgue.My uncle had given up hope of finding her so at least this gives some finality to the tragedy.The family will be giving her a proper funeral.

Please donate whatever you can to help the survivors.There are approx.150.000 people reported as casualties,millions have been left homeless and have lost all of their possesions.Many are in danger of starvation and contracting diseases.These numbers are bound to go up as statistics are compiled.

Very sorry again Crunch. I donated to the Red Cross last night after reading throught his thread. My prayers to you and your family.

Dphins4me
01-04-2005, 06:22 PM
This is what boils my blood. There is a Republican rich girl I know who tried to defend Bush on the basis of the Iraq War. She talked until she was blue in the face about helping the Iraqis yet she had absolutley NO IDEA that the death toll for Americans had surpassed 1,000 troops. She was oblivious to the armor shortage on the humvee convoys. You're 100% right about this with some people. They use it to argue for the election and when it's done it's done. Some people are just plain ignorant. I asked her last week if she had any knowledge of the mortar that hit the American mess hall killing over 20 troops.....I recieved a blank stare. My point is that there are a few people who are completely out of touch with the situation in Iraq. Even i'm not as informed as I think i'd like to be. I think that it is important for the American public to see the number of caskets that arrive stateside with our nations flag drapped over them. When you actually see the number of dead in a tangible form it gives amazing perspective. Like the fact that the U.S. lost a grand total of 28,686 men on Iwo Jima. To me each one of those are my 4 friends serving in Iraq and my best friend who is in the Marines. The Japanese lost approximately 20,000 troops at Iwo Jima. Sorry for dragging on but for some people to be completely unaware of 150,000 deaths is shocking. Then there are some who just see it as a figure. Great point Terry.

Why must you people (Yes, Terry included) turn this thread into a political debate?

This thread was about loss of life, not shortage of armor and other things.

Back on to subject. My heart goes out to the families of anyone who experienced this tragic event or lost anyone to it. The picture of dead children being carried by their parent has just simply ripped my heart out.

I will not even try to pretend I grasp what has happened there and what those people went through.

SuperDuperFan
01-04-2005, 06:27 PM
im sorry i dont have money i spent it all on my basebal cards but maybe i will give some after my allowance

Now that's a nice kid whose mom should be proud.

BigFinFan
01-04-2005, 07:00 PM
Actress Sandra Bullock has donated $1 million to the American Red Cross to help relief efforts in countries affected by the deadly earthquake and tsunamis in southern Asia and eastern Africa. (http://entertainment.msn.com/celebs/article.aspx?news=177558)

WOW! Very Classy!

TerryTate
01-04-2005, 07:19 PM
Is it just me, or on every SPORTS-RELATED program they flash up on the screen "please donate to the red cross for the tsunami victims" when they come back from commercial break? Despite the fact that the tsunami has nothing to do with sports, its still being presented on a sports program.

I just thought I'd bring that up, since some of you don't like that this is on the main board. It won't be here forever either. So just deal with it while it lasts.

Thank you

TorontoFin
01-05-2005, 12:44 AM
I'm a big F1 fan, and I'm glad to see my fav driver Michael Schumacher for Ferrari has donated $10 million to the victims.

chamber blaze84
01-05-2005, 01:49 AM
sorry dude.

dolfan06
01-05-2005, 12:13 PM

Thanks
Boomer.

CLICK HERE AND HELP

http://www.dec.org.uk/they have a collection center at the highway patrol in temecula, i already gave $100! :(

Boomer
01-05-2005, 12:25 PM
they have a collection center at the highway patrol in temecula, i already gave $100! :(

Good stuff.

finswin56
01-05-2005, 01:24 PM
It's a shame it takes a tragedy like this to bring out the best in people.
Crunch, your family has my prayers.

Muck
01-05-2005, 01:36 PM
Sorry everyone. This thread should have been cleaned a long time ago.

Carry on.

Finsperfect72
01-05-2005, 03:22 PM
My deepest sympathies, Crunch.

MNFINFAN
01-05-2005, 09:30 PM
they have a collection center at the highway patrol in temecula, i already gave $100! :(
What, were they donating their speeding ticket money to the Tsunami victims? :D PS is Shakespeares still in Temecula?

We donated, had to, we lost most of everything to the Hurricane Ivan and were inundated with support, love and goods.

Have been watching BBC News on BBC America to get coverage, I am not sure if I had any friends there but as I have a bunch of Aussie friends over in Bali, I am trying to get in touch with I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Sorry to hear about your family's loss Crunch, I can't fathom the sudden loss of a healthy full of life family member.

Roman529
01-07-2005, 12:16 AM
I bought some wrist bands to help support the Tsunami victims....Sorry to hear about your loss Crunch....hope things turn ok. Makes you realize how good things are in the USA and to never take things for granted.:shakeno:

fins4o8
01-07-2005, 06:06 PM
im sorry to hear about ur lost. my thoughts & prayers to her & your family. :cry: