Who do you guys like:

A. With our first pick?
B. With our second pick?
C. In the middle rounds?
D. in the 7th round or RFA?

Thanks in advance for your feedback

Quarterbacks for the 2005 Draft
-Seniors and declared underclassmen

Analysis: This 2005 Class of quarterbacks is very hard to evaluate. Not only are quarterbacks traditionally hard to evaluate, but also there is no clear-cut favorite heading into the 2005 draft without Matt Leinart. Honestly, the top two guys are almost interchangeable at this point.

1. Aaron Rogers, 6-2 200, JR, California
Another JUCo transfer, Rogers transformed into an elite player from day one, he recorded 19 touchdowns for 2,903 yards despite splitting time early with Reggie Robertson. He tied a school record with five 300-yard passing games; he is very streaky and throws a sweet deep ball. He was named All-PAC 10 second team by Athlon Sports. He teamed up with super stud receiver Geoff McArthur, who caught 85 balls for 1,504 yards and 10 TDs last year, and he will have McArthur to throw to again this year. A little on the small size, but they said that about Joe Montana. He is very raw and will need at least a year of development if he decides to turn pro as a junior but his upside in awesome. Wow what a talented accurate passer, he set an NCAA record on October 9th 2004 by completing 23 straight passes. Rogers is running kneck and kneck with Leinart for the right to be named the best QB in the land. Rogers had a better completion % than Leinart and a better QB rating but he didn't throw nearly as often and he had a worse TD to INT differential. Rogers finished with 274 attempts-188 completions for 2320 yards, 26 TDs and 7 INTs. His completion % was 67.5% and he had a QB rating of 161.2

2. Alex Smith, 6-3 200, JR, Utah
Smith is the best returning quarterback in the Mountain West; he's also the most important player in the league this season. Utah currently has one other scholarship quarterback on the roster, and he's in high school. If Smith gets hurt, the Mountain West title should be up for grabs. If he's fine and lasts the season, he should be the director of a devastating attack with most of the top receivers returning. He's extremely accurate and was able to run the spread attack well in only his first year as a starter finishing second in the nation in TD to interception ratio (5:1, 15 TDs, 3 INTs). JR Quarterback Alex Smith is off to a great start to this young 2004 season, he has his team smokin, they have scored a total of 64 points in blow out wins over Texas A&M and Arizona. Smith has completed 33 out of 51 passes with 529 yards and 5 TDs. Utah and Smith could even run the table and be playing for a BCS bowl game by the end of the year, they have an easy schedule, with only North Carolina and BYU as tough games and both of them are at home. Move over BYU, here comes Utah, the new power brokers in the Mountain West Conference.

3. Andrew Walter 6-5 235, SR, Arizona State
Walter seems to be the mainstream media’s “cover boy” for this preseason. But as Yoda would say, “a winner he is not”. Oh ya he has all the measurements, size, and a cannon for an arm, but so did Ryan Leaf. Look, I am not saying he will be a bust just yet, but he lacks field vision and has trouble reading defenses which causes lots of turnovers and sacks. Andrew Walter posted some really gaudy stats in 2002, almost 4,000 yards and 30 touchdowns. He set Arizona State single season records for attempts, completions, and passing yardage, besting former Sun Devil quarterbacks like Danny White and Jake Plummer. Now here’s the impressive part: Walter didn’t even become the starter until the fifth game of the season. He might be one of the strongest arms in all of college football. He added nine pounds this offseason to body that was already capable of throwing a 60-yard bomb. Walter, will need to produce victories, not just yards. His 5-7 record as a starter is not the stuff of champions just yet. Walter needs some work on his mechanics and will need to learn to better read what a defense is giving him and take what he can get to prevent those turnovers. He stands tall in the pocket and might emerge as the top QB by the time this thing is all said and done. He is just so erratic, one week he will throw for 400 yards and 4 TDs, and then the next he will throw three INTs and they will lose.

4. Charlie Frye, 6-3 215, SR, Akron
Frye might be another talented MAC quarterback following in the footsteps of Chad Pennington, Byron Leftwich, and Ben Roethlisberger, all drafted in first round. He might be the best kept secret in college football. Charlie will be in the hunt for the Heisman because the west coast system he plays in will let him put up big numbers again. He is Akron's all-time leading passer with 8,426 yards. He already holds 49 school passing records. Last year alone he threw for 3,549 yards with 22 TDs. He is a real threat running the ball with over 625 career-rushing yards. He doesn’t have a cannon for an arm but it is plenty strong. His biggest hang up will be in his inferior competition he faced at the NCAA level. Frye is remarkable talent, he set 54 school records, including career marks for yards passing (11,049), total offense (11,478), completion percentage (63.6) and touchdowns (64).

5. Kyle Orton, 6-4 220, SR, Purdue
Kyle took huge steps last year (2003) and might the most improved quarterback in the country. He is hands down the best quarterback in the Big Ten and a 1st team All-Conference selection. He has ideal size, great arm strength and solid accuracy. Decent speed, but opposing defenses aren’t terrified of his scrambling ability. Very smart player, he rarely throws interception. Kyle is a good leader but is more of a calm presence and not a big fist pumper. He can really rifle the ball, has a super quick delivery and he see the field very well. Orton started out in 2004 red hot, but has struggled lately. He was even benched on October 30th and suffered some hip injuries. Had a very good 2005 East-West Shrine game, but just doesn't throw very well on the move or under pressure.

6. Stefan Lefors, 6-0 198, SR, Louisville
The fact that LeFors was named First-Team All-Conference USA last year over more highly-touted QBs Danny Wimprine (Memphis) and Gino Giudugli (Cincinnati) speaks volumes about this rugged competitor. Does not possess a rocket arm, but has all the prerequisite intangibles (ala Tom Brady) to be a very good NFL QB in time. Smallish, but a nice full-over delivery and very good feet allow him to overcome this deficiency without difficulty. Very versatile and athletic, can make good things happen on the fly. Great escape ability and creativity when pressured. Saw action in three games in 2002, completing 5 of 7 for 49 yards and 1 TD. Appeared in 5 games in 2001 as Ragone's understudy. Holds for extra points and FGs. Will remind some of a young Fran Tarkenton with his feet and scrambling ability. Needs to show a bit more patience at times. Tends to force the ball on occasions. Needs to do a better job of finishing in the red zone. His chances of playing in the NFL are debateable, but I like his chances because he is a winner. The team captain is very athletic, running a 4.62 40. He can move around and throw on the run and make plays with his feet. He’s married, very mature, competitive, works hard and studies the game. Teams would be foolish to draft him on day one, but he is the type of quarterback, like Jeff Garcia, who could play five years in the CFL and tear up the league before a few teams become interested in bringing him south of the border. With the way quarterbacks are developed today, with Jake Delhomme and Kurt Warner taking long routes to the NFL, LeFors is the type of confident leader that teams would be wise to follow after the draft. Really helped his draft stock after he put on quite a show in the 2005 East West Shrine game.

7. Derek Anderson, 6-6 226, SR, Oregon State
Derek racked up some impressive yards last year, throwing for more than 4000. He has unbelievable size and arm strength and accuracy. So why is he rated so low? Interceptions, he threw an alarming 24 last year. That won’t cut it in the big league. He has more overall potential than anyone in the group because of his size, mobility, and the gun he has on his right shoulder. He could have a breakout season this fall if he remembers to throw to his own team. Now that Steven Jackson is gone the burden will be on him. Anderson is moving up the draft boards in early 2004, he looks tough and poised under pressure.

8. Jason Campbell, 6-4 225, SR, Auburn
In 2003 Jason ranked fifth in career records with 364 completions and sixth with 4,599 yards. First with .623 completion percentage, tied for sixth with 25 career touchdown passes and ranked fifth in single-season records with 2,267 passing yards and fourth with 181 completions. He was the offensive recipient of the Pat Dye Leadership Award from the coaching staff after spring drills. Campbell is having a great season and is the biggest difference in this year's Auburn team. He has already surpassed his TD total from last year with 13 TD passes with only 2 INTs. Campbell has played with a different offensive coordinator in each of his seasons with the Tigers, but it seems to have all come together for him this season. At some points last season he was a liability for this Offense, but now he has really opened it up this season and has elevated his status from a undrafted free agent to a possible late round pick.

9. Dan Orvolsky, 6-5 226, SR Connecticut
Very similar build/style to 2004’s Ben Roethlisberger. Prototypical size, accuracy and arm strength, his only glaring weakness is he plays for lowly Ucon. He throws a very catchable ball with a tight spiral. He has a quick release and he can even scramble fairly well. Dan is second in career TD passes (61). He broke the Huskie record with 33 touchdown passes in 2003. He had an outstanding completion percentage of 59.5 over the last two years. Dan has all five starters back from last season’s offensive line and leading receiver Keron Henry. With another monster year and some good post-season workouts he could easily catapult himself into the 1st round of the 2005 NFL draft. Not having a very good 2004.

10. David Greene, 6-3 230, SR, Georgia
Greene would probably be rated higher if he would have had a better offensive line last year, they gave up the most sacks in the SEC last year. But the future looks bright for Greene, the line should be much better and he will have one of the top receivers in the nation to throw the ball to in 6’ 4” Fred Gibson. Green should also be in the hunt for the Heisman because Georgia is predicted to be one of the top five teams in the entire nation next year. Greene threw way to many interceptions last year (11) and he needs to make smarter decisions where he throws the ball, but he still threw for 3,307 yards with 13 touchdowns in 2003. He is a lefty with a strong arm and a nice touch. His Dogs really were a let down this year (2004), Green even got benched in the Auburn loss and his stock has slipped big time.

Best of the rest
Lang Campbell- W&M
Danny Wimprine-Memphis
Gino Guidugli-Cincinati
Stan Hill-Marshall
Matt Jones-Arkansas
Rasheed Marshall-West Virginia
Bruce Eugene-Grambling
James Kilian-Tulsa
Marc Eddy-Bentley
Craig Ochs- Montana
Marcus Randall- LSU
Chris Rix- FSU
Bryan Randal- Va. Tech
Sonnie Cumbie- TT
Brock Berlin-Miami

Source Consensus Draft Services (used with permission)

condraft.com (pay them a visit!...great draft site.)

nick1
01-18-2005, 11:28 AM
1st round QBs - Rodgers, Smith, Frye, and maybe Walter
2nd round QBs - Walter, Orton
3rd round QBs - Greene, Orvolsky and maybe Mc Phearson
4th round QBs - Mc Phearson, Campbell, Anderson, Lefors
5th round QBs - Marshall, M.Randall, Hill
6th round QBs - B.Randall, Walter Washington, Berlin and maybe Rix
7th round QBs - everybody else

CDSrocks
01-18-2005, 11:59 AM
Nick,

Thanks, LeFors is my personal favorite for payback v. where he is currently projected to go (i.e.value), but his style would require quite a bit of revamping for the rest of the offense. If they pick a guy like him, the coaching staff would have to be willing the make those adjustments or it would be a total waste of time. That would remind me of the situation Flutie had in New England, where they were expecting him to be a dropback passer with a skill set that wasn't suited at all to that type of system.

nick1
01-18-2005, 04:50 PM
I like David Greene, he has great value in the 3rd and he is a great passer and has some mobility and he is a lefty so most defenses don't play against lefty's and I think you have to play them a bit differently then you do normal QB's

AJFins87
01-18-2005, 05:01 PM
I think that Frye may be the best of the bunch. If you look at his numbers, physical build and what the scouts say about him, i would like to get him the most out of any other QB in the draft.

nick1
01-18-2005, 05:04 PM
I think that Frye may be the best of the bunch. If you look at his numbers, physical build and what the scouts say about him, i would like to get him the most out of any other QB in the draft.

would you give up a 1st? if Miami traded down they might be able to get him

CDSrocks
01-19-2005, 10:16 AM
Frye is no secret anymore. Kiper had him as his #1 senior QB recently...Too bad. I was hoping we could steal him...

FinsNYanksFan13
01-19-2005, 05:53 PM
If we draft a QB, it's Smith or Rodgers or else I say forget it!

DonShula84
01-20-2005, 04:31 AM
I wouldnt mind looking at Orlovsky,Walters or Campbell in the 3rd or 4th rounds.

nick1
01-20-2005, 08:15 AM
I like Smith and Rodgers early, then Frye, Greene in the mid, McPhearson late

merlin00069
01-20-2005, 12:35 PM
I like Smith and Rodgers early, then Frye, Greene in the mid, McPhearson late

Good call....I think Rodgers brings more to the NFL table than Smith does. I am convinced(and will be probably more so after the combine) that we should make sure we draft Rodgers.

Super Duper
01-20-2005, 07:47 PM
I also like rodgers, with Leinhan in we could use his strong arm and mobility

CDSrocks
01-22-2005, 10:08 AM
It's Rogers guys (not Rodgers)...and I agree he is better than Smith. Kiper is all wet on this one.....

Nappy Roots
01-22-2005, 09:18 PM
It's Rogers guys (not Rodgers)...and I agree he is better than Smith. Kiper is all wet on this one.....

uhh, no its not Rogers, it is Rodgers.....

NorFlaFin
01-23-2005, 10:30 AM
Look for Chris Rix to move up the charts, he'll test extremely well.

CDSrocks
01-24-2005, 09:03 AM
Sorry Nappy,

It IS Rodgers. Thanks. I found a bunch of websites--including ours--where it was spelled wrong, and just ran with it. I'll get ours fixed. Thanks for correcting me.