PDA

View Full Version : My 2-Round Mock Draft w/trades, FA's

NYFCat
01-20-2005, 06:51 PM
Before going to this site, let me clarify a few things:

- 95% of mock drafts I see bore me. It's always the same thing... every team going for NEED rather than Best Player Available. Lining up a team need with the highest player at that position doesn't terribly excite me.
- Every NFL draft has themes.. this year's theme will be the fall of Cedric Benson and Cadilac Williams and the run on CB's in the 2nd round (a la 1998)
- Before replying, understand this: I know where each player is projected. I LOVE to be criticized on these mocks because that's how I learn about each team... through fans who have access to more resources on a particular team. Just understand that I'm not dillusional about how good a player is.

Anyway, all comments welcome!!

http://thefinforum.com/Columnists/CatsProwl/297.aspx

DonShula84
01-21-2005, 05:00 AM
Seems to high for Barron and I dont think we need to take a safety that soon. And as much as I love Notre Dame I dont see Tuck going that high in the draft, nor do I think that Benson and Caddy fall that far. Plus 6 WR in the first round seems like a lot. Nice work though

Brad528
01-21-2005, 01:50 PM
Not to be rude but i think that you Mock is way off for alot of teams. You also have Marlin Jackson falling to 42 i have seen him in the top 20 of almost all the mock drafts.

ronrevog
01-23-2005, 05:28 AM
there's no way wed take Barron instead of Benson if Benson was still available, Benson is as close as their is to a sure thing in this year's draft, and furthermore, there is no way cleveland would trade the number 3 and 35 th pick for the number 2! Especially with all the problems they have and a new coach coming in to try and get the browns back on track...

great job on the effort though!

Bling
01-23-2005, 03:28 PM
there's no way wed take Barron instead of Benson if Benson was still available, Benson is as close as their is to a sure thing in this year's draft, and furthermore, there is no way cleveland would trade the number 3 and 35 th pick for the number 2! Especially with all the problems they have and a new coach coming in to try and get the browns back on track...

great job on the effort though!

Actually, would make a lot of sense. Cleveland, Chicago and Tenn. would jump on the chance for him. Benson isn't wanted till Arizona. RB can easily be fixed in FA. LT is a lot more money in FA than the RB available. I think it's smart.

I'm going to have to say I would pick Aaron Rodgers if he's there.

ronrevog
01-23-2005, 05:51 PM
if the dolphins deal for the second round, it will probably be surtain for the 2nd rnd pick...

maybe trade fiedler for a 3rd or a 4th... Saban's made it quite clear that he wants to build this team through yound draft talent and veteran guys at the OL and DL...

Saban picks benson in the first, and a QB with his second pick, the most Saban like QB in this draft is probably Kyle Orton with his ability to run the "vertical" passing game that linehan preaches and saban endorses...

Miami's draft this year, and for the next 3 years, will be loaded with position players!

ronrevog
01-23-2005, 05:56 PM
Furthermore, Kyle Orton could be the biggest sleeper in this year's draft, he is a better prospect thatn Drew Brees was coming out of Purdue and if it weren't for a terrible Purdue team and he getting injured half way through the season then he would of been a strong heismann contender, and perhaps a top 10 pick, but as it is now, barring a great Combine, Orton could drop as far south as the 3rd round, and if he does, he'll wear the teal for miami next season, mark it, he'll play behind Feely...

Bling
01-23-2005, 08:15 PM
if the dolphins deal for the second round, it will probably be surtain for the 2nd rnd pick...

maybe trade fiedler for a 3rd or a 4th... Saban's made it quite clear that he wants to build this team through yound draft talent and veteran guys at the OL and DL...

Saban picks benson in the first, and a QB with his second pick, the most Saban like QB in this draft is probably Kyle Orton with his ability to run the "vertical" passing game that linehan preaches and saban endorses...

Miami's draft this year, and for the next 3 years, will be loaded with position players!

Wouldn't it make more sense to go with Rodgers and Fason than Benson and Orton?

ronrevog
01-23-2005, 09:12 PM
Cal's system made Kyle Boller look like a stud, but he has been pretty terrible so far. Rodgers is a little smaller than you'd like in a pro QB (same size as fiedler). He's 6'2" even though Ive seen him listed at 6'3"... no way he is that big...

I personally think that Rodgers is right there with Boller and Grossman, Rodgers would be Wanny's pick not Saban's

Orton has a ton of experience against top competition...Great size...Has a very strong arm...Accurate passer and will stand in the pocket to deliver the ball....and at 6'4" and 226 is actually a bit bigger than Marino when the phins drafted him in '83

And Im sorry the other player you mentioned I dont know much about, could you tell me some?

LIQUID24
01-24-2005, 02:01 AM
Orton has a ton of experience against top competition.
Remind me, how did he do against that top competition?

ronrevog
01-24-2005, 02:26 AM
29-20

4 year starter...

not saying hes the next coming but for a 3rd rnd pick he will be a steal...

and the Phins will go RB in the first rnd and getting a 2nd rnd pick is too far into the future to predict... and Saban wants to be known as the new sheriff in town, if Campbell or Orlovsky are available they could also be possibilities...

I wouldnt mind seeing what alex smith has but i really dont think Saban will use number 2 on a qb, Matt Leinart for sure, but SF would of picked him up...

Rodgers could be the next Favre (unlikely) or the next Dilfer (without the size) and remember that Dilfer was the prototype for Wanny given us the Fiedler era...

SMadison29
01-25-2005, 03:46 AM
In assessing need vs BPA as you let Benson & Derrick Johnson fall past their overall rankings past teams that have a need at their respective positions, then you have the Titans take a need position waaay before his ranking would merit.

Baltimore plays a 3-4 D. Erasmus James is not a 3-4 DE & he can't play OLB. Shaun Coday & Marcus Spears fit in the 3-4 DE mold.

LIQUID24
01-25-2005, 12:03 PM
Baltimore plays a 3-4 D.
I've read that they'll be switching back to the 4-3, now that Mike Nolan is with the 49ers.

Nappy Roots
01-25-2005, 03:38 PM
I've read that they'll be switching back to the 4-3, now that Mike Nolan is with the 49ers.

no way

LIQUID24
01-25-2005, 03:51 PM
no way
Um, sure, if you say so. Forget the published reports I've read.

mia4ever
01-30-2005, 07:46 PM
Furthermore, Kyle Orton could be the biggest sleeper in this year's draft, he is a better prospect thatn Drew Brees was coming out of Purdue and if it weren't for a terrible Purdue team and he getting injured half way through the season then he would of been a strong heismann contender, and perhaps a top 10 pick, but as it is now, barring a great Combine, Orton could drop as far south as the 3rd round, and if he does, he'll wear the teal for miami next season, mark it, he'll play behind Feely...

:shakeno: