PDA

View Full Version : Leinert Wishing He'd Entered Draft?

Muck
02-08-2005, 11:14 AM
Leinart, who had elbow surgery two weeks ago, said the loss of quarterbacks coach Carl Smith — now the offensive coordinator for the Jacksonville Jaguars — and Chow would put him in "a tough position."

Asked if he would have returned for his final season of eligibility if he had known that Chow might not be in the fold, Leinart said, "Obviously, it would have changed my thought process. In all honesty, I didn't really want to play for a new guy coming in.

"If I had known he would be gone for sure, it definitely would have changed my thought process a lot. I don't know if I would still have left or still stayed. I don't know that and, obviously, I never will. But I know it would have [affected] my decision."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-uscfb8feb08,1,1440567.story?coll=la-headlines-sports&ctrack=1&cset=true

IMO, he wishes he would have bolted. To this day, I still don't understand the logic behind him returning. I mean, I know his reasons. But he was already the #1 overall pick. He has EVERYTHING to lose. And now he's lost his QB coach, and will lose his offensive coordinator to the Titans, not to mention the OL coach.

CrunchTime
02-08-2005, 11:20 AM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-uscfb8feb08,1,1440567.story?coll=la-headlines-sports&ctrack=1&cset=true

IMO, he wishes he would have bolted. To this day, I still don't understand the logic behind him returning. I mean, I know his reasons. But he was already the #1 overall pick. He has EVERYTHING to lose. And now he's lost his QB coach, and will lose his offensive coordinator to the Titans, not to mention the OL coach.
Yes I agree.I think he was caught up in the euphoria of the Championship and the accompanying celebration and all of the hero worshipping at USC .

His own coach was advising him to not to throw away the opportunity to be the first pick.

NaboCane
02-08-2005, 11:55 AM
I know. He ignored rule #1: a bird in the hand...

I don't know how any player in his right mind (who wants to play in the NFL) woul;d pass up the opportunity to be the #1 overall pick - you don't get any higher than that!

3P
02-08-2005, 01:09 PM
That's gotta hurt... stupid move on his part, IMO... but hey, it worked out for Peyton.

Samphin
02-08-2005, 01:19 PM
I just finished reading an article with a bunch of football players who left a year early and all of them wished they had stayed an extra year. Mainly, they say they missed the comraderie of school. I think Leinart is going to be ok. The worst part is he is not allowing the QB behind him to develop. He is supposed to be a stud as well.

Philter25
02-08-2005, 03:55 PM
He did have everything to lose and the only thing he could gain was winning another Heisman or a NCAA Championship......

Hmm, worthless Heisman or #1 pick in the draft with a killer signing bonus?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..............

PHINATIC13
02-08-2005, 06:15 PM
you're so right CT and winning the Heismen and Championship in the same year his stock could not have been higher.Also he is risking injury for another year.
Yes I agree.I think he was caught up in the euphoria of the Championship and the accompanying celebration and all of the hero worshipping at USC .

His own coach was advising him to not to throw away the opportunity to be the first pick.

DonShula84
02-08-2005, 11:53 PM
With Chow and the QB coach leaving it could affect his play next year also. Especially with Chow no longer calling the plays. This could cost him in the draft next year.

Steveo 90
02-09-2005, 02:51 AM
Is there A supplemental draft still and so how does Lienert get in if he chooses to go that way......

Muck
02-09-2005, 03:09 AM
There is a supplemental draft still. The last player picked that I can recall was Tony Hollings being taken by the Texans in 2003 with a second round pick.

Not sure if Leinert could still enter in time for the supplemental.

LIQUID24
02-09-2005, 11:34 AM
I'm still surprised he stayed, but I don't think his play will suffer much because of Chow's departure. Remember, USC is absolutely loaded offensively. They have Reggie Bush, LenDale White, Dwayne Jarret, Steve Smith, Dominique Byrd, and a more experienced O-line returning.

korl68
02-09-2005, 03:14 PM
March 1st is the deadline to apply.

from NFL.com

As for supplemental draft procedures, this is straight from the folks at NFL headquarters who would oversee such a draft: Each club’s draft position is weighted by assigning the weakest club the greatest number of lottery chances and the strongest club the fewest number. Team strength and weakness will be determined by the original order of the first round of the prior to the April draft and before any trades (i.e., the weakest club, which from the 2003 season is the San Diego Chargers, will have its name in the drawing 32 times, the next weakest 31 times, etc., until the Super Bowl winner, which would have its name in once).

There is a three-step drawing process that works in the following order:

1. Teams that won six or fewer games in the prior regular season are placed together in a container and drawn to determine the initial arrangement of places in the selection order;

2. The remaining non-playoff teams are placed together in a container and drawn to determine their places following those determined in the first drawing;

3. Playoff teams are placed together in a container and drawn to determine the remaining places in the selection order.

Roman529
02-10-2005, 12:34 AM

IMO, he wishes he would have bolted. To this day, I still don't understand the logic behind him returning. I mean, I know his reasons. But he was already the #1 overall pick. He has EVERYTHING to lose. And now he's lost his QB coach, and will lose his offensive coordinator to the Titans, not to mention the OL coach.Hey Muck, have you seen the white sweater girls, aka, the USC cheerleaders on the sidelines?.....maybe that is why Matt is staying? I would have been greedy and taken the 40 million myself, but that's just me!
:roflmao:
Can't Leinart still change his mind and enter the supplementary draft...I believe he can before March 1st. I heard Matt might have decided to stay because he hurt his arm and the NFL guys would have found this out at the combines?....he is risking millions by staying an extra year at USC, especially if he has a subpar year.