PDA

View Full Version : Benson on his criminal record in college

enigmatics
02-25-2005, 12:51 PM
"Everybody can lie and be fake and seem like the rainbow's perfect," Benson said. "Who makes it through college without anything on their record?"

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2005/02/25/z1c_PBP_COMBINE_0225.html

LOL...........right Cedric, that's why we all go to college, so we can blemish our civilian records. :shakeno:

I still don't like this kid.

pwn3dyo
02-25-2005, 01:06 PM
how did he get that plasma tv anyway? "Gift" from the coach? :lol:

Clark Kent
02-25-2005, 01:08 PM
The guy stole his TV... I would get it to.

Cedric Benson is going to the best RB in the NFL in the very near future. Passing on him is a mistake.

Phinphanatic13
02-25-2005, 01:09 PM
I really hope we do not draft him. Really hope.

Dubfire
02-25-2005, 01:12 PM

Cedric Benson is going to the best RB in the NFL in the very near future. Passing
on him is a mistake.

If we draft him, I hope ur right. I dont like the kid at all. He never showed me ANYTHING in the BIG games. Putting up 175 yds and 3 td's against Baylor is one thing, doing it against Oklahoma is another.

bigmiamifan
02-25-2005, 01:22 PM
Guy sounds like a jewel, he should go to the Raiders.

His Dudeness
02-25-2005, 01:29 PM
hostile, man you dont know this... how can you say he'll be the best back in the nfl without playing a down... and with all the great backs in the nfl

Fritz27
02-25-2005, 01:44 PM
Another reason to select Ronnie Brown.

enigmatics
02-25-2005, 01:46 PM
If we draft him, I hope ur right. I dont like the kid at all. He never showed me ANYTHING in the BIG games. Putting up 175 yds and 3 td's against Baylor is one thing, doing it against Oklahoma is another.

Exactly......... He had plenty of opportunities vs. Oklahoma to prove himself and he never showed up. And the Sooners were closer to pro competition than any of those cupcakes he saw.

merlin00069
02-25-2005, 01:50 PM
Perfect article for all the Benson fans...he's not even the best back in the draft.

GridironCanuck
02-25-2005, 01:53 PM
Blowing a 2nd overall on him also makes me nervous. He could be a bust in a hurry IMO. Who knows when we will get another pick like this again?

byroan
02-25-2005, 01:54 PM
Perfect article for all the Benson fans...he's not even the best back in the draft.
Is that why in the same article it says:

Cedric Benson figures to be the best player available when the Dolphins pick No. 2 next month.

KyPhinfan13
02-25-2005, 01:59 PM
Care to guess which present Pro-Bowl runningback had to play these juggernauts his last season in college?

at Nevada
Northwestern
Arkansas St.
at Navy
Hawaii
at Tulsa
Rice
at San Jose St.
Fresno St.
Texas El Paso
at SMU

Just because Benson didn't do well against Oklahoma, doesn't mean it's his fault. Blocking, game planning, and other factors will play a major role in a running back's success.

finzfans084
02-25-2005, 02:01 PM
wht r u talking about saying he isnt the best back in the draft.sum ppl seriously smoke crack be4 they start posting stuff. and it will be a real big mistake if the miami dolphins pass him up. i bet he has at lease 300 more yards than any other rookie back in the nfl next year

merlin00069
02-25-2005, 02:01 PM
Is that why in the same article it says:

I believe were all entitled to OUR opinions aren't we? Allrighty then. Besides you'll be saying i was right when Brown, and others turn out to be better.

byroan
02-25-2005, 02:02 PM
I believe were all entitled to OUR opinions aren't we? Allrighty then. Besides you'll be saying i was right when Brown, and others turn out to be better.
:rolleyes:

fear-the-d
02-25-2005, 02:05 PM
I really hope we do not draft him. Really hope.i am not sure! if we can get a second 1st round pick and dont trade down then i would take him. but i also want derrick Johnson to replace MORON Greenwood!!!:roflmao:

byroan
02-25-2005, 02:07 PM
i am not sure! if we can get a second 1st round pick and dont trade down then i would take him. but i also want derrick williams to replace MORON Greenwood!!!:roflmao:
Do you mean Derrick Johnson?

KyPhinfan13
02-25-2005, 02:07 PM
i am not sure! if we can get a second 1st round pick and dont trade down then i would take him. but i also want derrick williams to replace MORON Greenwood!!!:roflmao:

You're so funny. :shakeno:

Why must people laugh at their own statements?

KyPhinfan13
02-25-2005, 02:08 PM
Care to guess which present Pro-Bowl runningback had to play these juggernauts his last season in college?

at Nevada
Northwestern
Arkansas St.
at Navy
Hawaii
at Tulsa
Rice
at San Jose St.
Fresno St.
Texas El Paso
at SMU

Just because Benson didn't do well against Oklahoma, doesn't mean it's his fault. Blocking, game planning, and other factors will play a major role in a running back's success.

LaDanian Tomlinson is the answer, BTW

fear-the-d
02-25-2005, 02:10 PM
:samurai: thats what will happen to miami if gordon starts next year! we will be murdered! pick benson. take him for the long term. a franchise player like marino was (exept there positions are different)

fear-the-d
02-25-2005, 02:12 PM
Do you mean Derrick Johnson?
yes thanks for telling me! Its not my fault i ran into a lamp post playing football and knocked my self out!:cry:

McDuffie81
02-25-2005, 02:18 PM
yes thanks for telling me! Its not my fault i ran into a lamp post playing football and knocked my self out!:cry:Whos fault was it? :tongue:

SN1P3R
02-25-2005, 02:28 PM
this is for all the guys who want brown or williams rather than benson.

1.Brown .......... you guys hype this guy up when this cat wasent even the best player on his college team. what makes u think hes better than Benson ? I just want one you guys to name one thing wether is a stat or a accomplishment .

2. Williams........ the same with williams name one thing hes done better than Benson. Another thing this guy was the best back on his team but you guys have forgotten that he is injury prone. im not against drafting either of these but not at #2 . belive me benson is the best back hands down . and we will be going :smackhead if we dont draft him.

Namor
02-25-2005, 02:52 PM
Higher yards per carry,more pass recieving yards and Brown showed up for games
against the better teams.

Ozzy
02-25-2005, 03:16 PM

Cedric Benson is going to the best RB in the NFL in the very near future. Passing on him is a mistake.

He said that his TV was in there. It was his word against theirs, and I'm wondering if he got the TV back? I think if he had, then it might be more excusable, and more proof that his word was true. I think all it would have taken was to produce a reciept. I've only read that he was convicted so far.

Benson should be a pretty good back in the NFL, but the best? I highly doubt that. Not as long as the NFL has the likes of LT, Alexander, Edge, Dillon, McGahee, Holmes, Martin, just off the top of my head. Sure a few of these runners will be retired in a few years, but man, them some huge shoes too fill....

Ozzy
02-25-2005, 03:20 PM
this is for all the guys who want brown or williams rather than benson.

1.Brown .......... you guys hype this guy up when this cat wasent even the best player on his college team. what makes u think hes better than Benson ? I just want one you guys to name one thing wether is a stat or a accomplishment .

2. Williams........ the same with williams name one thing hes done better than Benson. Another thing this guy was the best back on his team but you guys have forgotten that he is injury prone. im not against drafting either of these but not at #2 . belive me benson is the best back hands down . and we will be going :smackhead if we dont draft him.

OK tell me why you think Brown was not the best runner on the team>?

Ozzy
02-25-2005, 03:28 PM

at Nevada
Northwestern
Arkansas St.
at Navy
Hawaii
at Tulsa
Rice
at San Jose St.
Fresno St.
Texas El Paso
at SMU

This is true, and the Sooners game plan was too stop Benson. BUT teams used to game plan against Ricky Williams too, and he fared much better. Not to say Benson stinks because I do like any of the top three runners. But facts are facts, and Benson has not came up big in big games, and looked terrible in his last bowl game. He was hurt, and maybe he did not want to end his career before hitting the pay load. I sure hope that's the case....

supertek
02-25-2005, 03:37 PM
Like Cecil Collins, Bensons record will drop him out of the first round, I predict. He is clearly a thug.

phinMikeDC
02-25-2005, 03:41 PM
LaDanian Tomlinson is the answer, BTW
Against which opponent did he have a bad game?

Jt0323
02-25-2005, 03:44 PM
I strongly Believe besnson will be a dolphin

LarryFinFan
02-25-2005, 03:45 PM
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2005/02/25/z1c_PBP_COMBINE_0225.html

LOL...........right Cedric, that's why we all go to college, so we can blemish our civilian records. :shakeno:

I still don't like this kid.

Well, I did ?? I'm not an athlete, but I don't have a record. I'm not perfect either. This response was a little dumb on his part...what happened to saying "Hey, I made some mistakes and learned from them" instead of making it sound like he did what everyone is doing...there are lots of high-profile athletes who go thru school without any problems with the law. This shows a little immaturity on his part...

Phinz
02-25-2005, 03:51 PM
I don't think criminal records should mean anything. I'm sure one or two players in the NFL have criminal records. I mean damn a certain LB in the league was involved with a murder trial. Granted he only has obstruction of justice on his record. Also that same team had a drug dealer for a RB. So how much does this all affect the player obviously it is devastating being that the LB mentioned was on the cover of Madden 2005.

BlueFin
02-25-2005, 03:51 PM
OK tell me why you think Brown was not the best runner on the team>?
Who says he wasn't? Brown averaged 6.0 yards per carry, Cadilac averaged 4.9.

enigmatics
02-25-2005, 03:58 PM
Well, I did ?? I'm not an athlete, but I don't have a record. I'm not perfect either. This response was a little dumb on his part...what happened to saying "Hey, I made some mistakes and learned from them" instead of making it sound like he did what everyone is doing...there are lots of high-profile athletes who go thru school without any problems with the law. This shows a little immaturity on his part...

..........but see that's what lends to my distaste for him. I'm not denying his skill level. He's a decent college back. However, his offseason transgressions.........the marijuana incident, the tv incident.......his worshipping of Ricky Williams. I mean c'mon dude he wore the same dreads.......also shaved them the same year Ricky did. It's just too much for me as a Fins fan. He talks about Ricky being his own man and he's his own man but he's quietly following similar footsteps and I'm sorry there's just too many other backs available in this draft to risk taking Benson at #2, especially after what just happened with the sticky Ricky episode.

paskerbrandon
02-25-2005, 04:03 PM
..........but see that's what lends to my distaste for him. I'm not denying his skill level. He's a decent college back. However, his offseason transgressions.........the marijuana incident, the tv incident.......his worshipping of Ricky Williams. I mean c'mon dude he wore the same dreads.......also shaved them the same year Ricky did. It's just too much for me as a Fins fan. He talks about Ricky being his own man and he's his own man but he's quietly following similar footsteps and I'm sorry there's just too many other backs available in this draft to risk taking Benson at #2, especially after what just happened with the sticky Ricky episode.He shaved his dreads so people will stop comparing him to Ricky, stop it guys, this kid has talent and I know that I would be happy if we drafted him, these stupid comparisons mean nothing, Ricky is is idol because of what he did on the field, not off.

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

ckparrothead
02-25-2005, 04:13 PM
If Benson doesn't have social anxiety disorder and/or bipolar disorder, he won't flake out like Ricky Williams. END OF STORY on that one.

His character issues put him as a riskier pick than Williams or Brown, true, but his body of work is also better than Williams and Brown. Not only has he shown the ability to consistently be good, and to get better with every year, but he's shown the ability to stay on the field as well. Personally I think it's nice to have a team-first guy at tailback in the NFL, but also not very necessary. Just ask the Patriots. The team never really embraced Corey Dillon, and Corey Dillon never really embraced the team, all he had to do was tote the rock, and all they had to do was promise to keep giving it to him without fear that KEVIN FAULK would supplant him as a starter. It takes a really BAD character to end up being a distraction as a runningback in the NFL. Ricky just happened to be that one in a thousand case. But you have to treat Ricky's walking away for what it was, which was clearly a byproduct of his social anxiety disorder and his physiological mental ailments. It's nothing to be ashamed of that less than a year ago we would have viewed Cedric Benson's friendship with Ricky and his looking up to Ricky as a serious POSITIVE sign that Benson was not just the thug that his arrest record shows. Benson didn't know that Ricky had it in him to do what he did, and neither did anyone else.

That's what I think about that.

I still like Cadillac better. I think he's hands down the best, most reliable back in the draft...but Benson is like 1a to Cadillac's being #1.

Regan21286
02-25-2005, 04:33 PM
He shaved his dreads so people will stop comparing him to Ricky, stop it guys, this kid has talent and I know that I would be happy if we drafted him, these stupid comparisons mean nothing, Ricky is is idol because of what he did on the field, not off.

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Yet, Ricky shaved his dreads also. But besides the point, I'd be happy with Benson or Brown. Benson's marijuana charge was dropped and if someone I knew stole a plasma TV from me, i'd be pissed too though only violently in my mind. Still wish the FO would do something about that 8.6 mil. Give it back to the fans who all recently bought RW jerseys before he quit! I still have the receipt! :lol:

SN1P3R
02-25-2005, 04:54 PM
Higher yards per carry,more pass recieving yards and Brown showed up for games
against the better teams.

with far less carries. Brown has never been the top back and the reason why he was not the best runningback on his team was because Williams was. Williams has better numbers and of course was the starter.

Namor
02-25-2005, 04:56 PM
They were on the field at the same time mostly.

Ozzy
02-25-2005, 06:17 PM
with far less carries. Brown has never been the top back and the reason why he was not the best runningback on his team was because Williams was. Williams has better numbers and of course was the starter.

Auburn had two excellent Rb's, both very capable of being the number one guy.

Brown is much bigger so instead of Rb by commitee they put Brown in as the FB, and used them both at the same time in the backfield. Caddy had to get more carries because at his size they could not have him as the lead blocker. When Brown did tote the rock, his stats say he was the better of the two. When Caddy went out for a little over half a season Brown was excellent....

Phin_Phan
02-25-2005, 06:44 PM
Sounds like Benson wants to play here, I really want this guy

BIGRED11
02-25-2005, 07:09 PM
this guy is exactly who we need in the backfield, i serously hope we dont miss out on this guy People stop haten on him.. ur probably the same one who keep comin up w/ all the ricky williams threads

CrunchTime
02-25-2005, 07:15 PM
Why draft a RB with questionable character issues when you can draft Ronnie Brown who is a team player and of unquestioned character.

His Dudeness
02-25-2005, 07:21 PM
someone posted that brown had a 1.1 ypc better than caddy.. well you gotta say a lot of that attributes to when he ran the ball, mostly on third downs when teams were expecting pass. besides, the more carries, the less the avg will be.. its like in baseball after a month, someone will be hitting .450 maybe.. but that never lasts...

with that said, i have no problems with ronnie brown, i just like what i've seen from caddy....

horns58bp
02-25-2005, 07:33 PM
how did he get that plasma tv anyway? "Gift" from the coach? :lol:
He bought the tv with the money he made from playing minor league baseball for the Dodgers. He was not on scholarship and that is also how he paid for college.

Clark Kent
02-25-2005, 07:53 PM
Why draft a RB with questionable character issues when you can draft Ronnie Brown who is a team player and of unquestioned character.
Becuase he's hardly ever carried the load... Cadillac Williams is better then Brown, and Benson is better then both.

Browns Carries when Cadillac went down.

18, 32, 9, 25, injury

Can he carry a full load? Don't know. I know Cedric can not only carry the load, and I know Benson can carry a whole team on his back.

Shifty187
02-25-2005, 08:04 PM
Let me start by sayn that I think all 3 of the top RB's in this draft (Brown, Benson and Cadillac) have the potential to be Super-Stars! I prefer Ronnie Brown but I wouldnt mind drafting Benson or Caddy in the least!

I cant believe that sum of u people are giving Benson sh*t for cutting his dreads! Was he supposed to never cut his hair again!:shakeno:

Hes not the wackjob that Ricky is!

Mr Yu
02-25-2005, 08:41 PM
-Here is the deal : at 2 take the HOF that you are willing to bet your job on if your Saban. That means extra squeeky clean. I'm still not opposed to moving the pick and getting more picks. There isn't a stud LT there , there are 2 QB's , but others ( Frye , LeFleurs to start ) and there will be a quality RB to take in the early rounds.

- The QB I can see if that's what Saban wants to bank on. After all it's his call. Banking on a RB is risky at best and I don't like the idea of a guy with a past with our 2. Sorry guys , but we don't need a mistake with this pick as it could take years to further recover.

- Take the stud QB or move and get picks.

FinsNYanksFan13
03-20-2005, 08:34 PM
I picked up two cheap misdermeanors my first 2 months at college. Kids get arrested at college all the time for doing things mischievous. College towns arrest kids to make money. Who care's that Benson has a blemish on his record, it isn't like he should be in the same catergory as Lawrence Phillips. What Benson did was a mistake not a pattern, it's only a problem when it's a pattern!