PDA

View Full Version : Supplemental-draft rumor intrigues 49ers, rest of NFL

BAMAPHIN 22
03-01-2005, 02:16 PM
If I heard the idea once, I heard it 15 times at the NFL Scouting Combine: Now that offensive guru Norm Chow is out at Southern California, Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Matt Leinart might enter the NFL through a supplemental draft sometime this summer.

Did this have any basis in fact? I kept asking around, and no one knew. But it was the kind of wildfire rumor you hear in the NFL from time to time, and what gave me an idea it might have a shred of truth was a long conversation I had with San Francisco coach Mike Nolan here late Friday night. He was putting some stock in the Leinart rumor, and he knew what a major impact this could have on the future of his team. He just didn't want to talk about it.

More about that in a minute, but I figured it was worth making a weekend phone call to USC coach Pete Carroll at least. As I was in the middle of running the rumor by him, Carroll interrupted me and said: "Matt has no intention of doing that. He knows the possibility. I talked to him about it a week or so ago because I'd heard this stuff floating around, and he said, 'No, I'm not doing that.'"

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/peter_king/02/28/mmqb/index.html

brech10
03-01-2005, 05:29 PM
I can't imagine this happening.

Prime
03-01-2005, 06:27 PM
I still cant believe that Lienhert didnt enter the draft. he knew that he was going to be the top pick in the draft and he passed that up.

DonShula84
03-01-2005, 11:54 PM
Chow leaving wasnt a surprise, if Leinart didnt see it coming he is foolish

JAREDMANN
03-07-2005, 04:24 PM
the guys on PTI still think its going to happen.. i love that show