PDA

View Full Version : To the Mods on this forum..

RevRick
04-02-2005, 04:57 PM
I am absolutely appalled that you have no more grasp of the impact of world events on every human being, such as the passing of a major world figure who has helped make this world more free for such things as this forum, than to worry more about your Terms of Service, or more afraid that you might not be politically correct enough to allow the thread about the passing of the Pope remain where it was posted. Shame on you!

Jaj
04-02-2005, 05:00 PM
I am absolutely appalled that you have no more grasp of the impact of world events on every human being, such as the passing of a major world figure who has helped make this world more free for such things as this forum, than to worry more about your Terms of Service, or more afraid that you might not be politically correct enough to allow the thread about the passing of the Pope remain where it was posted. Shame on you!

Ya I've always had that problem with this site, but as stated before it intrude son our "Dolphin Experience". I mean it's ridiculous. I'm Christian, not even Catholic, but I respect the Pope heavily. If the Dali Lama were to pass away (he is another man that I respect very much) I would hold my respects too, not immediately blast it to be sent to another forum.

Dubfire
04-02-2005, 05:02 PM

Major world figure to whom? You?

VanDolPhan
04-02-2005, 05:02 PM
Err if all they are doing is moving it then there shouldn't be a problem. There is a forum for this stuff. Abusing forum rules cause this is the 'most' read isn't an excuse.

Jaj
04-02-2005, 05:03 PM

If you don't believe he is a major world figure than leave the rest of us who believe he was to mourn. There are around 20 other threads you can click on and read in our belovedly organized main dolphin forum.

Ducken
04-02-2005, 05:04 PM
I did not see the post but ....... :shakeno: there are certian things that need to be left alone, that do not hurt the experience we all get by coming here. I agreee Shame on the Mods :shakeno:

Dubfire
04-02-2005, 05:05 PM
He is a major world figure. But not everyone feels that way. And to berate others for disagreeing or moving the thread is asinine.

Surferosa
04-02-2005, 05:05 PM
Abusing forum rules cause this is the 'most' read isn't an excuse.

:rolleyes:

sphincter
04-02-2005, 05:06 PM
Get over it !!!.

VanDolPhan
04-02-2005, 05:08 PM
I did not see the post but ....... :shakeno: there are certian things that need to be left alone, that do not hurt the experience we all get by coming here. I agreee Shame on the Mods :shakeno:

This is a sports forum. There are hundreds of places to talk about such including a forum on this very board. There are plenty of people who come to this section of the forum cause it's a "sports forum" and don't give a crap for it. So why should some impose their will on others.

There are rules to this forum and no one's above it. So give it a rest and talk about it in the lounge instead of trying to put it on a miami dolphins forum. Unless the pope was a huge dolphins fan and was talking about them on his death bed there's no relevance to this particular forum. All it comes across is a minority trying to push their viewpoint across where it doesn't belong.

Losman7
The pope is a world figure. Love him, hate him, believer, non believer. Thats like saying Bush isn't a world figure because you disagree with him.

HVACservice
I suppose if it was posted in the proper forum it would not have to be moved.

If you guys want to mourn and talk about it.... feel free.

Just do it in the lounge.

VanDolPhan
04-02-2005, 05:09 PM
I suppose if it was posted in the proper forum it would not have to be moved.

If you guys want to mourn and talk about it.... feel free.

Just do it in the lounge.

Right. It's not like they are banning you from talking about it. They just want the posts in the right forums.

yankeehillbilly
04-02-2005, 05:10 PM
There was nothing wrong with moving the thread. In fact, I think its a bit more respectful to have the thread in a forum that deals with everything....including religion and world events, than it is to have it in a forum that is dedicated to something as trivial as professional football.

SkapePhin
04-02-2005, 05:11 PM
It was moved to the proper forum.. Truly is no reason to gripe about this..

In fact, in those forums, there are at least 5 threads on the subject. This forum is about the MIAMI DOLPHINS, not the Vatican Papas. There are better forums and places to express your condolences for the Pope.

Ducken
04-02-2005, 05:12 PM
This is a sports forum. There are hundreds of places to talk about such including a forum on this very board. There are plenty of people who come to this section of the forum cause it's a "sports forum" and don't give a crap for it. So why should some impose their will on others.

There are rules to this forum and no one's above it. So give it a rest and talk about it in the lounge instead of trying to put it on a miami dolphins forum. Unless the pope was a huge dolphins fan and was talking about them on his death bed there's no relevance to this particular forum. All it comes across is a minority trying to push their viewpoint across where it doesn't belong.

you are very correct lets go by the strictest interpritation of the rules!! by my account there are like 10 threads that need to be moved. come on mods get to it. chop chop.

burger13
04-02-2005, 05:14 PM
I could see the problem if they deleted the thread....but they just moved it to the appropriate forum.

The mods are the ones who are the caretakers of this board that we all enjoy so much....and it's their consistency with the rules which makes it a good a board as it is. So in short.....get off their nuts!!!

SkapePhin
04-02-2005, 05:15 PM
you are very correct lets go by the strictest interpritation of the rules!! by my account there are like 10 threads that need to be moved. come on mods get to it. chop chop.

You are correct, including this thread.. Which will shortly be moved to the "Complaints and Suggestions" forum where it belongs..

Others that need to be moved:
-Breckeridge's Back!
-Madden Forum

LostInPatsLand
04-02-2005, 05:15 PM
I really don't know what "moved" means because you can still access the thread in the main forum.

Just a question: If another Oklahoma-City-type bombing happened (God forbid), would it be improper to post this breaking news in the main forum? Curious as to your responses.

McDuffie81
04-02-2005, 05:17 PM
I am absolutely appalled that you have no more grasp of the impact of world events on every human being, such as the passing of a major world figure who has helped make this world more free for such things as this forum, than to worry more about your Terms of Service, or more afraid that you might not be politically correct enough to allow the thread about the passing of the Pope remain where it was posted. Shame on you!"Shame on you"??? Its a dolphins forum....you know "Fin Heaven"? They move what isnt Dolphin related....go to the lounge.

SkapePhin
04-02-2005, 05:17 PM
I really don't know what "moved" means because you can still access the thread in the main forum.

Just a question: If another Oklahoma-City-type bombing happened (God forbid), would it be improper to post this breaking news in the main forum? Curious as to your responses.

If it was a large scale event that could potentially involve the SAFETY and LIVES of those who access this forum I dont think it would be moved immediately.. But as for the Pope.. This isnt really breaking news.. He has been dying for the past week and everyone knew he was pretty much gone since yesterday. And again, the Pope's death does not put any of the forum users in any imminent danger that may need a warning.

Pickles
04-02-2005, 05:18 PM
The point is, is that there is a place for everything, this is for dolphins related things, You can talk about mourning the pope all you want, but how is posting it on a dolphins message board going to help you mourn exactly?
And enlighten me if I seem ignorant, but how exactly did the pope make things more free for things such as this forum. Currently, I am on the veterans band wagon, for helping maintain freedom.

McDuffie81
04-02-2005, 05:18 PM
If it was a large scale event that could potentially involve the SAFETY and LIVES of those who access this forum I dont think it would be moved immediately.. But as for the Pope.. This isnt really breaking news.. He has been dying for the past week and everyone knew he was pretty much gone since yesterday. And again, the Pope's death does not put any of the forum users in any imminent danger that may need a warning. Well put. :)

texasPHINSfan
04-02-2005, 05:19 PM
exactly.

these people do not mean the same to you as they do to me. in fact i might be so bold as to completely disagree with Jaj and RevRick.

Not everyone on here is catholic and christian.... not everyone is required to respect these people just because they hold great significance to you based on your religion.

I could say the same thing about you not "having respect" for another poster on here when they share something of personal value or significance to them....

its hard for you guys to understand my point because you have your religious blinders on. step outside yourself and look at it from the 3rd person. how is it fair that poster x gets his thread about so-and-so dying moved, and no one cares or says anything... but then poster y gets his thread about the pope moved, and you guys complain it WAS moved? it was moved to its proper forum.

Why does the Miami Dolphins Discussion forum have to be the front page for everything? thats what i don't understand...

texasPHINSfan
04-02-2005, 05:22 PM
The pope is a world figure. Love him, hate him, believer, non believer. Thats like saying Bush isn't a world figure because you disagree with him.
i'm not saying he isn't a world figure... but i AM contesting his importance to different people in this world.

My religion, texasPHINSfanism, has recently lost a major figure.... my sister. Did i go posting it in the wrong forum to get more exposure?

lets face it, that was the only reason it was posted in the phins football forum instead of the lounge - to get maximum exposure.

LostInPatsLand
If it was a large scale event that could potentially involve the SAFETY and LIVES of those who access this forum I dont think it would be moved immediately.. But as for the Pope.. This isnt really breaking news.. He has been dying for the past week and everyone knew he was pretty much gone since yesterday. And again, the Pope's death does not put any of the forum users in any imminent danger that may need a warning.

Point well taken. However, if the Pope passed away during a sporting event, I'm sure the announcer would say something about it during a pause in the game. It is appropriate to interrupt an event when something occurs that affects the lives of a sizeable U.S. minority.

Jaj
exactly.

these people do not mean the same to you as they do to me. in fact i might be so bold as to completely disagree with Jaj and RevRick.

Not everyone on here is catholic and christian.... not everyone is required to respect these people just because they hold great significance to you based on your religion.

I could say the same thing about you not "having respect" for another poster on here when they share something of personal value or significance to them....

its hard for you guys to understand my point because you have your religious blinders on. step outside yourself and look at it from the 3rd person. how is it fair that poster x gets his thread about so-and-so dying moved, and no one cares or says anything... but then poster y gets his thread about the pope moved, and you guys complain it WAS moved? it was moved to its proper forum.

Why does the Miami Dolphins Discussion forum have to be the front page for everything? thats what i don't understand...

I already said that if another major event happened such as this I would agree with it being here. I felt that numerous people were being treated as if they had done something wrong. Especially one person who chose the thread to denounce religion and such and such. It was not an opinionated thread and did not insult anyone.

It's not like I'm posting paragraphs of my views against the ACLU or anything. That might insult some in the main forum. This was harmless.

R_t_Kraken
04-02-2005, 05:23 PM

:roflmao: :roflmao: Yeah man, right on. :rolleyes:

Whitedolphin54
04-02-2005, 05:24 PM
Not being religious in any way its no big deal to me, but i do like to think that I have consideration for others and do respect that the pope is huge within religious ranks. What is a mod--I know what one is in England, but it obviously is not the same in the U.S.

HVACservice
04-02-2005, 05:24 PM

I like the fact that this particular area of FinHeaven is free of religion and politics.

When I come to FinHeaven, I dont want to hear about Politicians, Iraq or Religious views.

I like the fact that they banned all those stupid political sigs last year!!!!!!

There is a place for all of that......BUT ITS NOT HERE!

SkapePhin
04-02-2005, 05:25 PM
Point well taken. However, if the Pope passed away during a sporting event, I'm sure the announcer would say something about it during a pause in the game. It is appropriate to interrupt an event when something occurs that affects the lives of a sizeable U.S. minority.

Well.. the Post was up on the main page for a couple minutes, then moved.. That is the equivalent of a broadcaster saying in passing "We have just learned that John Paul II has passed, our prayers are with him." in my opinion.. I highly doubt that a sports broadcast would have a little ticker at the bottom throughout the broadcat saying "rest in peace Pope John Paul II"..

Clark Kent
04-02-2005, 05:25 PM
I think this should be moved...:lol:

Just go to the right forum. It's so hard, I know.

LostInPatsLand
04-02-2005, 05:26 PM
I also feel that it is in poor taste to rub some people's noses in something so trivial as proper posting protocol when a major figure in some people's lives passes.

Mindwarp
bah every forum I vist that someone has posted this it has gone into either politics and religous forum or Heated off topic or something of the sort.

leave it off the main page

texasPHINSfan
I already said that if another major event happened such as this I would agree with it being here. I felt that numerous people were being treated as if they had done something wrong. Especially one person who chose the thread to denounce religion and such and such. It was not an opinionated thread and did not insult anyone.

It's not like I'm posting paragraphs of my views against the ACLU or anything. That might insult some in the main forum. This was harmless.
my tirade was a defense about being attacked for asking if it was posted in the correct forum - not choosing to "denounce religion such and such."

look, if you are catholic, thats fine. but if i am Jewish, Arab, Buddhist, Sunni, Mormon, Agnostic, or Atheist, you have to respect that too. Just because i am not catholic doesn't mean i am against religion. this is the same view devout religious folk have that cause problems... they think that if you aren't their religion, you are against religion. whoever said that?

don't turn this into a "religion-bashing" thread....

i did not directly insult anyone until i was insulted first. if you must, read each of my posts and see what they were replying to.

Jaj
04-02-2005, 05:28 PM
my tirade was a defense about being attacked for asking if it was posted in the correct forum - not choosing to "denounce religion such and such."

look, if you are catholic, thats fine. but if i am Jewish, Arab, Buddhist, Sunni, Mormon, Agnostic, or Atheist, you have to respect that too. Just because i am not catholic doesn't mean i am against religion.

don't turn this into a "religion-bashing" thread....

i did not directly insult anyone until i was insulted first. if you must, read each of my posts and see what they were replying to.

You misunderstand Sir. You aren't the one who "religion-bashing". It was someone else who I fired back against.

texasPHINSfan
04-02-2005, 05:29 PM
You misunderstand Sir. You aren't the one who "religion-bashing". It was someone else who I fired back against.
apologies then sir, apologies. :)

CanadaPhinsFan
04-02-2005, 05:32 PM
I also feel that it is in poor taste to rub some people's noses in something so trivial as proper posting protocol when a major figure in some people's lives passes.

The point is he wasn't an important figure in ALL of our lives. There is an approprite place to post non-Dolphins topics. I'm not trying to downplay the significance of his passing for millions around the world. Just simply stating there is a more appropriate place to discuss it.

LostInPatsLand
04-02-2005, 05:32 PM
Well.. the Post was up on the main page for a couple minutes, then moved.. That is the equivalent of a broadcaster saying in passing "We have just learned that John Paul II has passed, our prayers are with him." in my opinion.. I highly doubt that a sports broadcast would have a little ticker at the bottom throughout the broadcat saying "rest in peace Pope John Paul II"..

No, however, ESPNEWS for over an hour has kept active a breaking news bulletin about the Pope's passing. If it's good enough for ESPNEWS, I sure you can say its good enough for this site.

LostInPatsLand
04-02-2005, 05:34 PM
The point is he wasn't an important figure in ALL of our lives. There is an approprite place to post non-Dolphins topics. I'm not trying to downplay the significance of his passing for millions around the world. Just simply stating there is a more appropriate place to discuss it.

You have a point, but my point is that this idea has been expressed with little or no tact.

Surferosa
Oh well. This forum may be the best source for Dolphin-related information, but on a personal level its a cold, petty and insensitive place to visit. Im sure AJ - who has been very candid with the rest of us about his relationship with his own father - would agree that there is a time and a place for everything.

Try explaining that to the board police :rolleyes:

Clark Kent
No, however, ESPNEWS for over an hour has kept active a breaking news bulletin about the Pope's passing. If it's good enough for ESPNEWS, I sure you can say its good enough for this site.

Are you joking? The only reason they're doing it is for ratings.

Just go to the right forum and stop crying. It's not a big deal to click over to the right area of the forum, is it?

LostInPatsLand
Oh well. This forum may be the best source for Dolphin-related information, but on a personal level its a cold, petty and insensitive place to visit. Im sure AJ - who has been very candid with the rest of us about his relationship with his own father - would agree that there is a time and a place for everything.

I wholeheartedly agree.

SkapePhin
04-02-2005, 05:35 PM

Seriously? ESPNEWS has a Pope Watch thing going on?? Thats surprising to me.. Anyway, finheaven isnt ESPNEWS.

LostInPatsLand
04-02-2005, 05:35 PM
Are you joking? The only reason they're doing it is for ratings.

Just go to the right forum and stop crying. It's not a big deal to click over to the right area of the forum, is it?

And it's not a big idea for you guys to shut up and go about your business.

Clark Kent
04-02-2005, 05:36 PM
And it's not a big idea for you guys to shut up and go about your business. And the business is to post in the right forum.

texasPHINSfan
04-02-2005, 05:37 PM
actually most people on this site HATE espn.... in fact i loathe espn. thats why i come to this site and not watch espn.

but to echo what canadaphinsfan said.... my entire beef wasn't with the pope or his passing - and i'm not trying to downplay the significance of his passing...

but that doesn't mean it belongs in the football forum. Honestly, i don't want to hear about non-dolphins things... if i did i'd go to the proper forum. i was one of the people who rejoiced when the mods made politics and religion illegal here. i'd like to keep it along those rule sets..

LostInPatsLand
04-02-2005, 05:37 PM
And the business is to post in the right forum.

:shakeno: Some people never learn.

texasPHINSfan
04-02-2005, 05:38 PM
and we could sit here and say the same about you.

what point does that make?

Clark Kent
04-02-2005, 05:39 PM

Instead of talking about the Pope, you're talking about where the topic of the pope should be? Twilight Zone anyone?

SkapePhin
04-02-2005, 05:39 PM
Honestly, if the Dalai Llama dies tommorow, should a post about him stay on the main Dolphins forum?

Jaj
04-02-2005, 05:41 PM
Honestly, if the Dalai Llama dies tommorow, should a post about him stay on the main Dolphins forum?

It should be post in the Dolphins forum and then simply moved about an hour later. That's the way these things were handled when I joined.

LostInPatsLand
04-02-2005, 05:43 PM
and we could sit here and say the same about you.

what point does that make?

Fine. Let me summarize what I want to say, and I'll move on:

Management has the right to organize posts the way they want to. I agree that if it's policy to move these threads, then do it.

But if grief-stricken people f%ck up and post "incorrectly," don't be insensitive. Just move it and shut up. No comments necessary.

I think some people on this board inherently just like to piss people off.

SkapePhin
04-02-2005, 05:45 PM

Management has the right to organize posts the way they want to. I agree that if it's policy to move these threads, then do it.

But if grief-stricken people f%ck up and post "incorrectly," don't be insensitive. Just move it and shut up. No comments necessary.

So the mods berated the guy who posted the pope thread here? I thought they just simply moved it..

texasPHINSfan
04-02-2005, 05:45 PM

it wasn't posted "incorrectly" because the person was grief stricken... you sould like a lawyer for Kobe Bryant's accuser, geez...

the post was purposefully posted in the MAIN forum because it gets the most exposure. it was no accident. stop downplaying what had happened by trying to mask it with the importance of the event. for lack of a better term, it was attention-whoring.

that said, you would make a great lawyer, because thats all lawyers do - make you forget about the crime by focusing on the person or their feelings.

Jaj
04-02-2005, 05:46 PM
So the mods berated the guy who posted the pope thread here? I thought they just simply moved it..

No the one who pissed off many posters simply decided to basically take cheap shots and at those who are very religious. That's who many of us were angry at and yet others backed him.

d-day
04-02-2005, 05:46 PM
it's simple math really
dolphin topics = dolphins main forum
all other tpoics = all other corresponding forums

Jaj
04-02-2005, 05:47 PM
it's simple math really
dolphin topics = dolphins main forum
all other tpoics = all other corresponding forums

We're trying to be politically correct then am I right? I'll do you guys a favor and "mark" every other thread that is not purely Dolphins related.

SkapePhin
04-02-2005, 05:47 PM
No the one who pissed off many posters simply decided to basically take cheap shots and at those who are very religious. That's who many of us were angry at and yet others backed him.

But then why are people bashing the mods and management over this? Thats what I dont understand..

McDuffie81
04-02-2005, 05:48 PM
This thread will hit like 500 pages im sure. Its moved like it should be. They have a place for this simply put.

Jaj
04-02-2005, 05:48 PM
But then why are people bashing the mods and management over this? Thats what I dont understand..

Mods seem to move things without realizing that the post will eventually die off and can be moved later. It was simply moved to soon and I was angry more at the insensitive attitude a couple posters took.

FIN-IN-RI
04-02-2005, 05:51 PM
We're trying to be politically correct then am I right? I'll do you guys a favor and "mark" every other thread that is not purely Dolphins related.

:shakeno: Seriously though, Go somewhere else if you don't like it.

I'm personally glad this is message board is run the way it is. It actually makes people follow the rules. Wow what a concept.

McDuffie81
Mods seem to move things without realizing that the post will eventually die off and can be moved later. It was simply moved to soon and I was angry more at the insensitive attitude a couple posters took. They probably moved it because it would turn into a big fiasco.....like this.

Clark Kent
Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed forum, some people would
certainly want you to believe that the mods were "Insensitive" for moving the Pope thread to it's correct location. And they make a good case. Hell I almost felt pity myself. But ladies and gentlemen of this supposed forum, I have one
final thing I want you to consider. Ladies and gentlemen, this is
Chewbacca. Chewbacca is a wookie from the planet Kishik, but Chewbacca
lives on the planet Endor. Now think about that. That does not make
sense.

Why would a wookie, an 8-foot-tall wookie want to live on Endor with a
bunch of 2-foot-tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more
importantly, you have to ask yourself; what does this have to do with
this case? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen it has nothing to do with
this case.

It does not make sense. Look at me, I'm a poster defending
a major message board and I'm talking about Chewbacca. Does that make
sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense, none of this
makes sense! And so you have to remember. When you're in that jury
room deliberating and conjugating the emancipation proclamation, does
it make sense? No. Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, it does
not make sense. If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit. The
defense rests!

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

texasPHINSfan
Mods seem to move things without realizing that the post will eventually die off and can be moved later. It was simply moved to soon and I was angry more at the insensitive attitude a couple posters took.
yes but since when is there an informal "grace period" for non-dolphin threads to remain on the front page?

look man, no one is saying the papal death was not a tragedy. i just think that to be critical over things like how long a non-dolphin related thread is allowed to exist on the dolphin football forum main page is so trivial and inconsequential...

SkapePhin
04-02-2005, 05:52 PM
certainly want you to believe that the mods were "Insensitive" for moving the Pope thread to it's correct location. And they make a good case. Hell I almost felt pity myself. But ladies and gentlemen of this supposed forum, I have one
sense.

RIP Johnny Cochran. :(

BTW, its spelled Kashyyk.. :D

Surferosa
04-02-2005, 05:52 PM

Thats a pretty ironic question, since you started an "Avatar" thread on the main board only a few days ago. Is THAT is worthy of Main forum discussion? I guess so, since "nobody visits the suggestions board".

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=72121

Why do I get the sneaking suspicion that this highly important thread saw more time on the main board than news of the Pope's passing? :rolleyes:

texasPHINSfan
04-02-2005, 05:53 PM
Thats a pretty ironic question, since you started an "Avatar" thread on the main board only a few days ago. Is THAT is worthy of Main forum discussion? I guess so, since "nobody visits the suggestions board".

Why do I get the sneaking suspicion that this highly important thread saw more time on the main board than news of the Pope's passing? :rolleyes:
you are a conspiracy theorist aren't you? :P

CanadaPhinsFan
04-02-2005, 05:53 PM

If it's intentionally posted in the wrong forum, how can it be moved too soon?

Jaj
04-02-2005, 05:54 PM
:shakeno: Seriously though, Go somewhere else if you don't like it.

I'm personally glad this is message board is run the way it is. It actually makes people follow the rules. Wow what a concept.

Even with it's problems I still love this message board. I just liked it more when things were less serious on this board and arguments blasting each other's opinions were more common.

FIN-IN-RI
04-02-2005, 05:55 PM

There was a purpose for that thread to be herethough.

The popes passing is general common knowledge that should be discussed about in the correct forum.

SkapePhin
04-02-2005, 05:55 PM
yes but since when is there an informal "grace period" for non-dolphin threads to remain on the front page?

look man, no one is saying the papal death was not a tragedy. i just think that to be critical over things like how long a non-dolphin related thread is allowed to exist on the dolphin football forum main page is so trivial and inconsequential...

Honestly, it was not a tragedy.. The man was 85 years old.. He died gracefully and he knew it was his time.. Its sad and Im sure it effects a great many because of JP's great service to the world during his time here, but it was his time to go and we should pay our respects and move on.. And paying our respects on a Miami Dolphins main forum simply doenst make much sense to me really.. Unless the Pope was a huge Dolphins fan of course.. :D

FIN-IN-RI
04-02-2005, 05:56 PM
Even with it's problems I still love this message board. I just liked it more when things were less serious on this board and arguments blasting each other's opinions were more common.

Dunno man, this place has always been the same since I started visiting here in 03..

Jaj
04-02-2005, 05:56 PM
Honestly, it was not a tragedy.. The man was 85 years old.. He died gracefully and he knew it was his time.. Its sad and Im sure it effects a great many because of JP's great service to the world during his time here, but it was his time to go and we should pay our respects and move on.. And paying our respects on a Miami Dolphins main forum simply doenst make much sense to me really.. Unless the Pope was a huge Dolphins fan of course.. :D

Anyway somebody just close this topic. It sucks but I think this board is starting to lose it's purpose. To talk and argue like there's no tommorow. It's just I felt that if somebody is gonna take their parting shots at other people's religious beliefs why is that considered less of a problem than just a simple post in a Dolphin forum.

texasPHINSfan
04-02-2005, 05:57 PM
touche... i mis-used the word "tragedy."

but i am on your side... why are you picking a bone with me?! :D

FIN-IN-RI
04-02-2005, 05:58 PM
Anyway somebody just close this topic. It sucks but I think this board is starting to lose it's purpose. To talk and argue about Dolphins football.

Um.. what?

texasPHINSfan
Anyway somebody just close this topic. It sucks but I think this board is starting to lose it's purpose. To talk and argue about Dolphins football.
well it sounds like you were all for that - wanting to discuss the pope and all...

ohall

As usual REV I find it hard to disagree with you.

CanadaPhinsFan
Anyway somebody just close this topic. It sucks but I think this board is starting to lose it's purpose. To talk and argue like there's no tommorow. It's just I felt that if somebody is gonna take their parting shots at other people's religious beliefs why is that considered less of a problem than just a simple post in a Dolphin forum.

Which is exactly why the mods moved the thread about the pope from the main page.

Clark Kent
04-02-2005, 05:59 PM
Again, instead of talking about the Pope, and "grieving" or whatever, you're talking about where the pope post should be...

Am I the only one who doesn't understand that?

SkapePhin
04-02-2005, 05:59 PM

Sorry if that offended you.. and I even stipulated that it should be moved if so deemed.. And again, I ask you isnt that actually more on topic than the Pope? Afterall, I was offering a service that including DOLPHINS RELATED GRAPHICS for USER OF THIS FORUM... Id say thats a little bit more on topic than the Pope..

finsfan4life
04-02-2005, 06:00 PM
If you really wanted to talk about the pope on this forum you should have started a thread like this....

The Associated Press is reporting that Italy has cancelled all sporting events out of respect for the pope.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2028261

My question to my fellow Fins fans is how would you feel if the United States did this if it were on a Sunday during the regular season. The NFL has postponed games before (September 11th) so would you understand / agree with a Fins game being cancelled because of a death?

texasPHINSfan
the sad thing is that this thread will soon have more views and replies than any other non-sticky threads on the main page...

Jaj
well it sounds like you were all for that - wanting to discuss the pope and all...

I'm saying that since there are so many other so called "irrelevant" posts why not allow this one as well. It almost felt as if because it were connected to religion it was wrong immediately.

God I loved it when Bills fans used to come in here and we used to kick them out flaming them for their choke job in the early 90's.

jnewmant
04-02-2005, 06:01 PM
this is so lame, to all the catholics out there i'm sorry to hear about your loss, but this news dosen't belong in the dolphins forum unless the pope played for the fins or was a fins fan

texasPHINSfan
04-02-2005, 06:01 PM
My question to my fellow Fins fans is how would you feel if the United States did this if it were on a Sunday during the regular season. The NFL has postponed games before (September 11th) so would you understand / agree with a Fins game being cancelled because of a death?
what? did they cancel a phins game because of the papal death?

was the pope a huge football fan or something?

FIN-IN-RI
04-02-2005, 06:02 PM
I

I wouldn't mind it but that's because I love and I will miss Pope John Paul II.

I would view it as common courtesy to one of the gratest men to ever grace this planet.

Surferosa
04-02-2005, 06:04 PM
Sorry if that offended you.. and I even stipulated that it should be moved if so deemed.. And again, I ask you isnt that actually more on topic than the Pope? Afterall, I was offering a service that including DOLPHINS RELATED GRAPHICS for USER OF THIS FORUM... Id say thats a little bit more on topic than the Pope..

Didnt offend me at all. Its just funny how you are advocating that people should follow rules and post in the correct forum, yet you yourelf started a thread in the wrong forum. And why? Because there isnt enough traffic in the forum where the thread should have been posted - either the Lounge or Suggestions Forums.

FIN-IN-RI
04-02-2005, 06:04 PM
I'm saying that since there are so many other so called "irrelevant" posts why not allow this one as well. It almost felt as if because it were connected to religion it was wrong immediately.

God I loved it when Bills fans used to come in here and we used to kick them out flaming them for their choke job in the early 90's.

Most people that visit here know what happened and most people will know where it is being discussed if they want to add their thoughts.

Surferosa
04-02-2005, 06:05 PM
the sad thing is that this thread will soon have more views and replies than any other non-sticky threads on the main page...

Yup, its real sad that peolpe on this board actually care about things other than football. :rolleyes:

FIN-IN-RI
04-02-2005, 06:06 PM
Didnt offend me at all. Its just funny how you are advocating that people should follow rules and post in the correct forum, yet you yourelf started a thread in the wrong forum. And why? Because there isnt enough traffic in the forum where the thread should have been posted - either the Lounge or Suggestions Forums.

This sad topic shouldn't need a lot of traffic. It's common knowledge.

CanadaPhinsFan

I would be PO'd if the pope's death meant Fins game was cancelled. I'm sorry for the loss many people around the world are feeling today. However, canceling a game in his honor would be nothing more than one religious group pushing their values upon me and the rest of us who aren't catholic.

FIN-IN-RI
Yup, its real sad that peolpe on this board actually care about things other than football. :rolleyes:

We do. If you go into the Political forum you'll see like a 5/6 page thread on it.

Surferosa
04-02-2005, 06:07 PM
This sad topic shouldn't need a lot of traffic. It's common knowledge.

:confused:

common knowldge=traffic

:confused:

SkapePhin
04-02-2005, 06:08 PM

I specifically stated Suggestions forum, where another poster's graphics thread was moved to.. And again, I told the mods to move it if they felt it was innapropriate. The fact is, it did have Dolphin related material in it, more so than a public figure with no football or Miami Dolphin connections. So in effect, I broke the rules while stating that if the mods felt it was breaking the rules they SHOULD MOVE IT IF THEY so deem it..

I am very sorry that you feel my services were egotistical in design.. Perhaps I should stop offering them and become a clergyman.. Maybe then people would make threads about me on completely unrelated forums and bicker amongst themselves in my honor... Truly sad how these things get.. I paid my respects to the man in the proper place, I suggest you all do as well and live by the man's spirit of kindness and generosity, rather than one of petty bickering over what they deem to be appropriate or not.

Surferosa
04-02-2005, 06:09 PM
We do. If you go into the Political forum you'll see like a 5/6 page thread on it.

The Political/War forum with 3 people Viewing a the moment? Wait, Im on my way over to add to the discussion.

TeeMoney
04-02-2005, 06:09 PM
Chewwy was on Endor because he suffers from feelings of inadequacy. Poor guy.

Surferosa
04-02-2005, 06:11 PM
I specifically stated Suggestions forum, where another poster's graphics thread was moved to.. And again, I told the mods to move it if they felt it was innapropriate. The fact is, it did have Dolphin related material in it, more so than a public figure with no football or Miami Dolphin connections. So in effect, I broke the rules while stating that if the mods felt it was breaking the rules they SHOULD MOVE IT IF THEY so deem it..

I am very sorry that you feel my services were egotistical in design.. Perhaps I should stop offering them and become a clergyman.. Maybe then people would make threads about me on completely unrelated forums and bicker amongst themselves in my honor... Truly sad how these things get.. I paid my respects to the man in the proper place, I suggest you all do as well and live by the man's spirit of kindness and generosity, rather than one of petty bickering over what they deem to be appropriate or not.

Peace man.

CanadaPhinsFan
04-02-2005, 06:12 PM
[QUOTE=SkapePhin] Perhaps I should stop offering them and become a [QUOTE]

Please don't join the clergy until you've had a chance to make my sig :D

SkapePhin
04-02-2005, 06:12 PM
Peace man.

Peace be with you as well..

finsnchips
04-02-2005, 06:25 PM
man... i hear what your saying... but world news is not dolphins news, and this thread was starting in the dolphins forum.

HVACservice
04-02-2005, 06:28 PM
Chewwy was on Endor because he suffers from feelings of inadequacy. Poor guy.

That picture cracks me up....

FinFrenzy
04-02-2005, 07:29 PM
Err if all they are doing is moving it then there shouldn't be a problem. There is a forum for this stuff. Abusing forum rules cause this is the 'most' read isn't an excuse.

Yes I see your point but were talking about the Pope...yet we do have a cancer awareness thread stuck at the top with a sticky. I know both are sensitive topics....but I agree the Pope deserved the respect from all of us to bend the rules for the weekend as a salute to a wonderful man.

WharfRat
04-02-2005, 07:33 PM
To all those who wonder why these threads got moved.

I have as much respect for the Pope as anyone... however, I fail to see how a thread about his passing in a Dolphins Forum is paying any more respect to him than one in the Lounge, or Political Forums. In fact, I find it more appropriate and respectful OUT of a sports related forum.

If the President dies... that thread would be moved into the Lounge or Political.
Conversations about God Himself (who, as I recall outranks the Pope) are not appropriate in the Dolphins forum either.

This is a non-issue.

God Bless John Paul II... may you rest in peace.

WharfRat
04-02-2005, 07:36 PM
I paid my respects to the man in the proper place, I suggest you all do as well and live by the man's spirit of kindness and generosity, rather than one of petty bickering over what they deem to be appropriate or not.

:clap: Well said Skape.... well said.

Dol-Fan Dupree
04-02-2005, 08:11 PM
After the upset of people about the pope and the Terry Shivoe thing I have come to the conclusions that many christians do not actually believe in heaven.

The Pope was a good man, who did many great things. He was 85, that is a good time to die. He was in pain. I am happy that the pope is dead and no longer in pain. I am hoping he enjoys the kingdom of heaven

FIN-IN-RI
04-02-2005, 08:20 PM
After the upset of people about the pope and the Terry Shivoe thing I have come to the conclusions that many christians do not actually believe in heaven.

The Pope was a good man, who did many great things. He was 85, that is a good time to die. He was in pain. I am happy that the pope is dead and no longer in pain. I am hoping he enjoys the kingdom of heaven

I'm christian, I believe in heaven, it's just sad to see a great man die.

It's about having emotions and missing someone.

Chisel Monkey
04-02-2005, 08:28 PM
It's Great to have a policy, a rule, a way of running things. But those that are Bound to the Letter of the Law-who use it for a shield. Oh! We just can't do it -"It's Against the Rules" And Hell if we break the Rules All Of Our Heads will Expload and the Lucky Ones who don't will Run Around in Circles till they Burst into Flames. Well Thats Just Crap. I remember A time when some of Folks were relegated to a certain area of a Bus. Those were the Rules. And well I guess most of you know the rest of the Story. There was nothing subversive, Evil, or Disrespectfull from Rev. Ricks Post. He was just sliding some 411. I've been reading his posts on this and another site, he's a man of Faith, and I have the utmost respect for him. So Relax. A Major Historical Figure passed. Fank Perdue Died Yesterday,and the Announcement of his Death might not be suited for this Forum. But how 'bout we cut some slack for the Pope. He was a Good and Just Man-regardless of his Faith, and his absense will be noticed.

L.T.21
04-02-2005, 09:16 PM
As stated on a different thread. I apologize for creating this "havoc" on your board..by no means was that the intention. Safe to say as a Roman Catholic, the news was/is very important to me and thought the board would like to be informed of the news that is being covered internationally. It was no means to spread our ideas and beliefs, it was simply done out of respect for the Holy Father.

I posted the same on our board and will write a similar disclaimer if people get upset as well...

http://forum.uniontrib.com/upload/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43583

texasPHINSfan
04-02-2005, 09:20 PM
As stated on a different thread. I apologize for creating this "havoc" on your board..by no means was that the intention. Safe to say as a Roman Catholic, the news was/is very important to me and thought the board would like to be informed of the news that is being covered internationally. It was no means to spread our ideas and beliefs, it was simply done out of respect for the Holy Father.

I posted the same on our board and will write a similar disclaimer if people get upset as well...

http://forum.uniontrib.com/upload/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43583
LT, calm down man.

its not because it was you... if you wouldn't have done it, somebody else would have. as i said before, i have no problem with you.

its not that you did it.... this conversation and debate would have happened regardless of who posted it.

Hellion
04-02-2005, 10:41 PM
My 2cents,
I've paid my respects to the Pope, I did it in a private personal way. After that I returned to my job and then came home, I ate dinner and came to this site. On my way here I was on my Yahoo news page where it was the lead story and I read it and again paid my respects privately.
Then I go to FH and I see the thread about the Pope in the lounge forum... I read Rev Ricks "shame on you" post in the complaint forum and think HUH........he's being awfully judgmental. I Mean I try not to go through life judging people, but I'm human and I do judge people, we all do.
RevRick, I respect your opinion, I just don't agree with it. The thread was fine in the proper forum, but I paid my respects, I read about it several times today, and really we all new it was coming he had been ill for some time now.

To me it wasn't breaking news just inevitable news.
If I want to read more about his death there are many many sites that currently have the story and forums to discuss his passing.

If I want to know the opinion of Dolfans from this site I will go to one of the other forums on this site and see if it's being discussed and join in. And I did.

But my opinion of this thread is that you started it in anger that the mods moved it and told them they were wrong for doing so and they should be ashamed.
Your human you make mistakes, but being a reverend (I assume because of your name) then maybe you should lead by example and be a voice of reason instead of attempting to shame others that disagree with the placement of the original thread because it’s something you believe in.
The thread was created in the Dolphins forum and then simply moved to a more appropriate forum. What’s wrong with that? Currently as I type this post there are 104 responses and 1,269 views for the original thread in the lounge, and it’s a sticky.
Sum it up, I read all about several times today and I get home and just want to see what’s up with the Fins, I don’t need to see a thread on it and if I do, it’s in the lounge.

Dol-Fan Dupree
04-02-2005, 11:16 PM
I'm christian, I believe in heaven, it's just sad to see a great man die.

It's about having emotions and missing someone.

I guess I do not get it. I don't see what is sad about a 85 year old man dying. He lived a great life.

I have emotions. He lived a great life. He done many great things. now he is somewhere else doing something else. Way to go pope.

texasPHINSfan
04-02-2005, 11:51 PM
My 2cents,
I've paid my respects to the Pope, I did it in a private personal way. After that I returned to my job and then came home, I ate dinner and came to this site. On my way here I was on my Yahoo news page where it was the lead story and I read it and again paid my respects privately.
Then I go to FH and I see the thread about the Pope in the lounge forum... I read Rev Ricks "shame on you" post in the complaint forum and think HUH........he's being awfully judgmental. I Mean I try not to go through life judging people, but I'm human and I do judge people, we all do.
RevRick, I respect your opinion, I just don't agree with it. The thread was fine in the proper forum, but I paid my respects, I read about it several times today, and really we all new it was coming he had been ill for some time now.

If I want to read more about his death there are many many sites that currently have the story and forums to discuss his passing.

If I want to know the opinion of Dolfans from this site I will go to one of the other forums on this site and see if it's being discussed and join in. And I did.

But my opinion of this thread is that you started it in anger that the mods moved it and told them they were wrong for doing so and they should be ashamed.
Your human you make mistakes, but being a reverend (I assume because of your name) then maybe you should lead by example and be a voice of reason instead of attempting to shame others that disagree with the placement of the original thread because it’s something you believe in.
The thread was created in the Dolphins forum and then simply moved to a more appropriate forum. What’s wrong with that? Currently as I type this post there are 104 responses and 1,269 views for the original thread in the lounge, and it’s a sticky.
Sum it up, I read all about several times today and I get home and just want to see what’s up with the Fins, I don’t need to see a thread on it and if I do, it’s in the lounge.
very well put.

where the heck were all you guys when i was fighting a one-man war on here about placement of the thread? it was me versus the entire catholic population here on finheaven!

NaboCane
04-03-2005, 12:07 AM
sense.

Why would a wookie, an 8-foot-tall wookie want to live on Endor with a
bunch of 2-foot-tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more
importantly, you have to ask yourself; what does this have to do with
this case? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen it has nothing to do with
this case.

It does not make sense. Look at me, I'm a poster defending
a major message board and I'm talking about Chewbacca. Does that make
sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense, none of this
makes sense! And so you have to remember. When you're in that jury
room deliberating and conjugating the emancipation proclamation, does
it make sense? No. Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, it does
not make sense. If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit. The
defense rests!

BRILLIANT!

DonShula84
04-03-2005, 12:57 AM
It's Great to have a policy, a rule, a way of running things. But those that are Bound to the Letter of the Law-who use it for a shield. Oh! We just can't do it -"It's Against the Rules" And Hell if we break the Rules All Of Our Heads will Expload and the Lucky Ones who don't will Run Around in Circles till they Burst into Flames. Well Thats Just Crap. I remember A time when some of Folks were relegated to a certain area of a Bus. Those were the Rules. And well I guess most of you know the rest of the Story. There was nothing subversive, Evil, or Disrespectfull from Rev. Ricks Post. He was just sliding some 411. I've been reading his posts on this and another site, he's a man of Faith, and I have the utmost respect for him. So Relax. A Major Historical Figure passed. Fank Perdue Died Yesterday,and the Announcement of his Death might not be suited for this Forum. But how 'bout we cut some slack for the Pope. He was a Good and Just Man-regardless of his Faith, and his absense will be noticed.

Comparing a mod moving a thread to a different forum and the civil rights movement is a joke. It isnt as though the person who put the thread in the wrong spot was banned, or even yelled at to my knowledge. No need to make a big deal out of nothing. Pay your respects all you want, as many of us have, but dont act like you are being persecuted because a thread was moved.

FIN-IN-RI
04-03-2005, 02:09 AM
I guess I do not get it. I don't see what is sad about a 85 year old man dying. He lived a great life.

Well, I don't care if you get it or not but that doesn't mean you can just go and make a statement that christians "don't believe in heaven". Kind of silly.

Hellion
04-03-2005, 09:13 AM
very well put.

where the heck were all you guys when i was fighting a one-man war on here about placement of the thread? it was me versus the entire catholic population here on finheaven!

Sorry Tex, I was have a busy(i.e. crappy) day at work and couldn't get online to help. :lol:

inFINSible
04-03-2005, 09:24 AM
My 2cents,

Make that $.04...especially including the respect shown to Rev Rick who is a great poster on this site. Well said.

Muck
04-03-2005, 09:53 AM

I know this was made in jest. But there were Catholics backing you up in here. Myself included.

Gonzo
04-03-2005, 01:08 PM
very well put.

Hey now, we weren't all Catholic. You weren't the only one, but you were the only one that argued a good point without resorting to disrespecting other's beliefs. Those that did that didn't even deserve a response except from the Mods.

TerryTate
04-04-2005, 01:28 AM
I'll submit my two-sense....

If the Pope was healthy, and all of the sudden he went into immediate cardiac arrest or was murdered or what-have-you, then I would've waited awhile before I moved the thread to another forum. If the president was assassinated, I would wait awhile before moving it. If we were bombed/invaded/etc that would be right there of central importance for the moment. But as others said before, the pope was in such a state that he was going to pass within the past couple of days and everyone knew that. There were already threads devoted to him being sick in the political forum and/or lounge. I respect my catholic friends and posters and do not have a problem with something undolphin-like being posted on the main board if it's an immediate shock (like some of the examples above). It still wouldnt sit there for days. My views probably differ a little bit from my buddies that I moderate/operate the site with, so if an issue like this arises, we will talk about it.

NaboCane
04-04-2005, 01:55 AM
I believe that the point most are missing is that there is a place for everything. Even the bible says to "render unto Caesar what is Caesar's.

I mourn the passing of the Pope, despite my not being Catholic, and despite not being the least bit religious. He was a great man, a man of peace and a voice for all God's children, regardless of faith.

Yet the news of his passing is as out of place on the Dolphins' main board as news of the Dolphins' latest personnel move would be on a board dedicated to news about the Pope.

DrAstroZoom
04-04-2005, 03:10 PM
I just wanted to add ... it would have been a lot more disrespectful if a bunch of posters would habve went off on the pope and said "Who cares? Was he a Dolphin fan?" or some such nonsense -- which would have been much more likely, IMO, had the thread been left on the main page.

cnc66
04-04-2005, 03:57 PM
I have a question. If this "Pope has died" thread had been posted in say the lounge, as it would be a "new" post it would then jump to the top of "new posts" page, correct? Thay's where I always go, right after checking for new news or commentary... to new posts. To see what's up and who's around. Isn't that the way most of you do it? Anyway as long as it was an active thread it would remain visible on the first page of "new posts" correct ? I just wondered why no-one brought it up... that it really wasn't necessary to put in in the Dolphin forum as long as you kept it active... but again that assumes(I know) that others navigate like I do. Just curious. BTW I think gonzo makes a good point about how well texasPHINsfan fielded the beat down by those casting stones.

DrAstroZoom
04-04-2005, 04:03 PM
I have a question. If this "Pope has died" thread had been posted in say the lounge, as it would be a "new" post it would then jump to the top of "new posts" page, correct? Thay's where I always go, right after checking for new news or commentary... to new posts. To see what's up and who's around. Isn't that the way most of you do it? Anyway as long as it was an active thread it would remain visible on the first page of "new posts" correct ? I just wondered why no-one brought it up... that it really wasn't necessary to put in in the Dolphin forum as long as you kept it active... but again that assumes(I know) that others navigate like I do. Just curious. BTW I think gonzo makes a good point about how well texasPHINsfan fielded the beat down by those casting stones.

Good points. :up: