PDA

View Full Version : NFL replacement players making it big

Dol_Fan_4_Ever
05-18-2005, 10:35 PM
I've been thinking over this for the past couple days and I was just wondering since I was too young to remember all of this (I was about 3 or 4 at the time), during the NFL strike, did any replacement players actually get any big contracts after the strike ended?

Phinsfan1980
05-18-2005, 10:45 PM
I don't think you were even born. I think it was the 1982 season

ckparrothead
05-18-2005, 10:45 PM
I was 1 years old heh

Phinsfan1980
05-18-2005, 10:50 PM
I was 2... my mom said my first word was Sh*t.

Muck
05-18-2005, 10:52 PM
Doug Flutie was a scab in the '87 strike season and went onto a great career.

My bad, he's just short. :lol:

Seriously, this is a very good question.

Phinsfan1980
05-18-2005, 11:09 PM
Doug Flutie was a scab in the '87 strike season and went onto a great career.

My bad, he's just short. :lol:

Seriously, this is a very good question.great CFL career! :lol:

yankeehillbilly
05-18-2005, 11:49 PM
I don't think you were even born. I think it was the 1982 season

The strike in 1982 resulted in a shortened season....don't think they used any replacement players then.

beejay05
05-19-2005, 12:06 AM
I didnt even know there were NFL strikes. I am guessing the owners got the best of the player in both case considering how weak the NFL players association is. Does anyone know why that is? It seems as though the MLB players association is much stronger with the guarenteed contracts, no salary cap, and only now did steriods become illegal within the sport. Am I wrong in saying the NFLPA is weak?

Predaphin
05-19-2005, 12:10 AM
I don't know if you guys remember QB Steve Bono from the Chiefs, he was a scab and went on to be a starter at some point.

I may be wrong but I believe QB Elvis Grbac was a scab.

Also, I believe LT was the only NFL player who crossed the picket line and played regardelsss of the strike....I was about 10 yrs old when it happened.

I know QB Steve Bono was a scab for sure....but that's the only one I can remember for sure that was a scab.

Brett Tessler
05-19-2005, 12:11 AM
The only replacement player I know of who went on to have a successful NFL career was Mark Royals.

gofins
05-19-2005, 12:18 AM
Mark Rypien was a scab for the Skins ( I am 99%sure) and went on to win the SB.

havanahec
05-19-2005, 12:23 AM
I think Erik Kramer was a scab. Not a great career but started for Chicago for a few years. I think during the Wanny years. Elvis Grbac was not a scab he was drafted by the Niners.

finswin56
05-19-2005, 12:40 AM
I don't know if you guys remember QB Steve Bono from the Chiefs, he was a scab and went on to be a starter at some point.

Also, I believe LT was the only NFL player who crossed the picket line and played regardelsss of the strike....I was about 10 yrs old when it happened.

I know QB Steve Bono was a scab for sure....but that's the only one I can remember for sure that was a scab.

That was well Grbac's time. I don't think he came around until mid 90's

Dol_Fan_4_Ever
05-19-2005, 12:41 AM
Haha, well I was just curious about this. If anyone can think of any other scabs, please keep us informed. Especially those that remember 80's sports.

yankeehillbilly
05-19-2005, 12:44 AM
Mark Rypien was a scab for the Skins ( I am 99%sure) and went on to win the SB.

Rypien wasnt a replacment player, he was a 6th round pick by the 'Skins in 1986.

Elvis Grbac entered the league in 1993 as an 8th rnd pick by SF.

Kramer, Royals, and Bono were all replacements.

rafael
05-19-2005, 01:29 AM

Jim Zorn and Steve Largent crossed the lines as well.

Awsi Dooger
05-19-2005, 02:02 AM
I definitely remember Steve Bono quarterbacking the Steelers during the 3 scab games. As an 'SC alum I was hardly surprised a Bruin crossed the line.

From a gambling standpoint I remember winning handsomely on the 49ers over the Giants in a Monday Night replacement game. George Young had some union background in his family and hardly embraced the idea of hiring scab players. He just went out at the last minute and signed a New Jersey semi-pro team, or something like that. Meanwhile, the 49ers had prepared for the strike possibility for months. I'm almost positive they went 3-0 in the replacement games.

That Monday Night game was supposed to be a celebrated rematch of the Giants' 49-3 embarrassment of the 49ers in the '86 playoffs. ABC hyped the game and was ticked when it fell during the strike weeks.

There have been 2 or 3 threads here in recent months regarding the wishbone in the NFL. The only time I've ever seen the pure wishbone in the NFL was during that 49er/Giant scab game. Bill Walsh stuck in a backup black QB late in the game and he ran the 'bone to perfection, including a TD drive that capped off the high scoring rout. I'll never forget Bill Walsh holding up his hands almost in apologetic fashion after Parcells looked at him in disbelief while the 49ers were running the wishbone vs. his outmanned ragtag crew.

HuskerFin
05-19-2005, 02:18 AM
I believe Liffort Hobley (Safety) was a scab, and played for a few seasons with Miami. Also thinking that Scott Schwedes (WR), or Fred Banks (WR), may have been also. Could be wrong though. Just remember the Dolphin scab team beating the Chief scab team, like 45-7, 42-7, or 42-0. Anyways it made a 12 year old kid happy at the time.

3P
05-19-2005, 09:26 AM
Sorry... I can't help myself. When you mention replacements and football in the same sentence, I get this picture in my head:

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif