PDA

View Full Version : xbox 360 price

Clark Kent
05-21-2005, 12:41 PM
XGP gaming says the price of the 360 has leaked, and it's $300.You get one controller, and all the cords.

However, they're also saying there will be a bundle package. Rumors say this will include, 2 controllers, DVD remote, eye toy camera, and the hard drive will be loaded with features (I've heard a rumor a while ago that Halo 2.5 will be on the HD).

The price? $360... If that's the case, what a deal.

Jt0323
05-21-2005, 12:42 PM
maybe ps3 will be 3 dollars ;) i think ps2 will be better imp

FaninPatsyLand
05-21-2005, 12:43 PM
I've actually been reading reviews that have said PS3 is going to blow away X-Box 360. But who knows.. I love the competition.

Clark Kent
05-21-2005, 01:35 PM
I've actually been reading reviews that have said PS3 is going to blow away X-Box 360. But who knows.. I love the competition.

http://www.majornelson.com/

This site explains that the Xbox 360 is actually more powerful. I didn't believe it at first, but it all fits.

Jt0323
05-21-2005, 02:14 PM
thats not a trusted site

DonShula84
05-21-2005, 03:56 PM
PS3 looks awesome. At first I wasnt going to wait for it and I was just going to get the XBox, but Ill wait now. Im just hoping the thing will be a reasonable price.

Clark Kent
05-21-2005, 03:59 PM
thats not a trusted site How so? People actually know what specs mean, are not to be trusted?

FaninPatsyLand
05-21-2005, 04:29 PM
http://www.majornelson.com/

This site explains that the Xbox 360 is actually more powerful. I didn't believe it at first, but it all fits.

I'm just telling you I've heard and read from different people, and that PS3 is going to be better than X-Box 360.

I have PS2 right now and was thinking of making the switch to X-Box when the new systems came out (X-Box is better right now, except for the fee to play online).. But after hearing such awesome things about PS3 and not having to pay for online gaming, I don't think it's going to happen anymore.

Clark Kent
05-21-2005, 04:43 PM
I'm just telling you I've heard and read from different people, and that PS3 is going to be better than X-Box 360.

I have PS2 right now and was thinking of making the switch to X-Box when the new systems came out (X-Box is better right now, except for the fee to play online).. But after hearing such awesome things about PS3 and not having to pay for online gaming, I don't think it's going to happen anymore.

IGN got the write up.
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/617/617951p1.html

The Xbox 360 processor was designed to give game developers the power that they actually need, in an easy to use form. The Cell processor has impressive streaming floating-point power that is of limited use for games.

The Xbox 360's CPU has more general purpose processing power because it has three general purpose cores, and Cell has just one.

Cell's claimed advantage is on streaming floating point work which is done on its seven DSP processors.

The Xbox 360 GPU has more processing power than the PS3's. In addition, its innovated features contribute to overall rendering performance.

Xbox 360 has 278.4 GB/s of memory system bandwidth. The PS3 has less than one-fifth of Xbox 360's (48 GB/s) of total memory system bandwidth.

When you break down the numbers, Xbox 360 has provably more performance than PS3. Keep in mind that Sony has a track record of over promising and under delivering on technical performance. The truth is that both systems pack a lot of power for high definition games and entertainment. Very true. Sony does stretch the truth often. The PS2 was suppose to be all powerful, and it wasn't. The Dreamcast was a better console, but Sony was mainstream and had better 3rd party support.

However, hardware performance, while important, is only a third of the puzzle. Xbox 360 is a fusion of hardware, software and services. Without the software and services to power it, even the most powerful hardware becomes inconsequential. Xbox 360 games—by leveraging cutting-edge hardware, software, and services—will outperform the PlayStation 3.

Slappy8800
05-21-2005, 10:14 PM
price is driving me away from PS3....465 is just way too much

Deus Ex Dolphin
05-21-2005, 11:34 PM

What awesome things about PS3? Please be specific. The incredible game trailers that were actually CGI instead of real time? The Sony plan for online gaming, what is the plan anyway? What details did Sony give about it? When did they say it would be free on the PS3?

I saw a lot of smoke and mirrors from Sony, the same kind of stuff when they promised that the PS2 would have keyboard, mouse, VGA monitor support, a web browser, download movies and music for you, etc.

When did all that happen? Oh, yeah, it NEVER did. Sony must figure that if that bait-and-switch strategy worked once, it will work again.

Ask yourself people... Are YOU buying it?

FaninPatsyLand
05-21-2005, 11:45 PM
What awesome things about PS3? Please be specific. The incredible game trailers that were actually CGI instead of real time? The Sony plan for online gaming, what is the plan anyway? What details did Sony give about it? When did they say it would be free on the PS3?

I saw a lot of smoke and mirrors from Sony, the same kind of stuff when they promised that the PS2 would have keyboard, mouse, VGA monitor support, a web browser, download movies and music for you, etc.

When did all that happen? Oh, yeah, it NEVER did. Sony must figure that if that bait-and-switch strategy worked once, it will work again.

Ask yourself people... Are YOU buying it?

I just finished reading up on that other thread involving the 3 systems, and it seems to me most everyone with a couple of exceptions feel that PS3 is superior at the moment, and the smoke and mirrors you speak of could in fact be true, but you don't know that for sure. No one does...

The Blu-Ray technology is an interesting twist, Sony is really banking on it and it could either be boom or bust. I can tell you I'm not revamping my entire DVD collection for Blue-Ray. The controllers look like s*it which was also mentioned quite a bit.

I can also promise you that if it hits stores at it's rumor price of $400+, I'm sure as hell not gonna buy it unless it comes with a Satillite dish that has the ability to recieve NFL Sunday Ticket free of charge.. and I don't think Direct TV would agree to that :wink:

Jt0323
05-21-2005, 11:47 PM
ill waite till everything is more developed...ps3 can still add more stuff

Slappy8800
05-22-2005, 06:00 PM
ill waite till everything is more developed...ps3 can still add more stuff

and remove stuff

Deus Ex Dolphin
05-22-2005, 08:16 PM
I just finished reading up on that other thread involving the 3 systems, and it seems to me most everyone with a couple of exceptions feel that PS3 is superior at the moment, and the smoke and mirrors you speak of could in fact be true, but you don't know that for sure. No one does...

The Blu-Ray technology is an interesting twist, Sony is really banking on it and it could either be boom or bust. I can tell you I'm not revamping my entire DVD collection for Blue-Ray. The controllers look like s*it which was also mentioned quite a bit.

I can also promise you that if it hits stores at it's rumor price of $400+, I'm sure as hell not gonna buy it unless it comes with a Satillite dish that has the ability to recieve NFL Sunday Ticket free of charge.. and I don't think Direct TV would agree to that :wink:

I have little trust in what Sony says, so to me it is up to them to prove my paranoia wrong. :evil:

As for the whole Blu-ray thing? There was some effort to compromise between HD-DVD and Blu-ray, but talks have broken down and it looks like another Betamax versus VHS.

Blu-ray disks hold more data than HD-DVD, 50 GB versus 30 GB or so. However....

Toshiba Corporation announced today the development of a triple-layer HD DVD-ROM (read-only) disc with a data capacity of 45 gigabytes, 50% more than the 30-gigabyte dual-layer HD DVD-ROM disc already announced and enough to record twelve hours of high-definition movies on a single disc. The new disc adds a high-end option to the previous HD DVD-ROM disc lineup that includes the 15GB (single-layer, single-sided) and 30GB (dual-layer, single-sided). These two discs are already approved and standardized at the DVD Forum.

Toshiba also announced a double-sided, dual-layer hybrid ROM disc comprised of dual-layer HD DVD-ROM side and dual-layer DVD-ROM side. The hybrid disc can store 30GB of high-definition content on the HD DVD-ROM side and 8.5GB of standard-definition content on the DVD-ROM dual layer side.

More than 84 million DVD players and recorders were produced worldwide in 2004 alone. The standard definition content of the new hybrid discs can be replayed on these platforms, while their owners will also be able to enjoy high-definition content from the same source when they purchase HD DVD players in the future. The new disc further prepares the way for a smooth transition from DVD to HD DVD.

The full article here: http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8201/Toshiba-Unveils-45GB-HD-DVDROM-Disc/

If I follow this closely, it means you can buy a movie and have it play in either standard DVD or HD-DVD. Great for those slow in getting the more modern techology. My mother-in-law just got a DVD player last year for example. She won't be ready for HD-DVD for several years I'm sure.

The other point being that there is now a HD-DVD disk that holds 45GB, which is pretty close to Blu-ray at 50GB.

If HD-DVD takes off, then Sony is stuck with Blu-ray in the PS3 and a lot of HD movies that won't play on it. :eek:

As for the PS3 price? I expect Sony to charge $350 at launch, then lower it depending on sales. The Xbox 360 will probably be $300, but down to $250 or even $200 by the time the PS3 comes out. Sony will have the most expensive system in the next-gen, and how will that affect console sales?

Are consumers willing to pay $50-100 more for the Sony brand? Better graphics? Well the Xbox 360 will be coming out with second generation games, which should start to really use the hardware, so they will be as good or better than the PS3 games (or so I believe). The hardware is much closer in power than Sony wants you to know. Especially if Sony goes for a Spring 2006 launch, only about 6 months will seperate the systems, compared to the year between Xbox and PS2.

It will be interesting, and fun, to see how it all works out.

DoLpHiNz34
05-23-2005, 12:29 PM
Uh oh...Sony must be sh!tting a diesel sized brick with this news.