PDA

View Full Version : Anti-virus software

babywelker
06-03-2005, 03:40 AM
I got a virus on my comp and can't get rid of it with my norton anti=virus 2003. I'm going in to get brand new software but don't know much about the types that are out there. Any help would be much appreciated.

Slappy8800
06-03-2005, 05:32 AM
damn! you need to update that biznitch

unifiedtheory
06-03-2005, 06:06 AM
I use AVG...it's free, runs quietly and auto updates daily.

Everyone I know who has used Norton has uninstalled it...it's overrated and a resource hog compared to other products.

cnc66
06-03-2005, 06:29 AM
I dumped my Norton and went with Stop Sign... I don't know that it is any better, they do not respond to call for help even tho I am a premium customer and it let something eat me up about three weeks ago. I had to re boot the whole thing.

Buddwalk
06-03-2005, 07:09 AM

Everyone I know who has used Norton has uninstalled it...it's overrated and a resource hog compared to other products.

Sorry Norton right now is probobly the best for defending against viruses...the firewall on it sucks thought, so i use the windows one. If you need something free right now go with NOD32. It actually is in my opinion the best virus service

inFINSible
06-03-2005, 07:25 AM
Trend Micro PC-cillin.....you can get it right now on sale for $24.95, normally $49.95.

:up: :up:

NJFINSFAN1
06-03-2005, 10:22 AM
Go to Zone lab and download the free firewall, it does wonders!

NJFINSFAN1
06-03-2005, 10:22 AM
Also spybot search and destroy, is a free download that killed a ton of stuff I did not even know I had!

Buddwalk
06-03-2005, 11:37 AM
Also spybot search and destroy, is a free download that killed a ton of stuff I did not even know I had!

sorry buddy while spybot is killing spyware its also adding some.

NaboCane
06-03-2005, 12:16 PM
Don't screw around with anything else, just get McAffee. Most of the fortune 500 companies are switching to it from Norton becuase McAffee responds faster and is more secure.

Also consider going with an ISP like Earthlink, which has an integral firewall, eliminating the need to buy one and keep it updated.

NJFINSFAN1
06-03-2005, 12:16 PM
sorry buddy while spybot is killing spyware its also adding some.

I hope they pay my Bills for me! :eek:

byroan
06-03-2005, 02:10 PM
I'd recommend AVG.. either the free version or pro.

steeda
06-03-2005, 03:06 PM
I'll throw in my two cents.

If you know what the virus name is, google search it, and see if there is a fix for it. If you can't find one, then try some of the anti-virus programs that the people on top of me posted.

Nublar7
06-03-2005, 03:35 PM
I use Panda Titanium Antivirus. So far, I believe it is the best stuff out there. It never bothers you, it scans for viruses 24/7 and is consistantly updating itself. Occasionally a little thing will pop up just to say that a virus attempted to get in, but it killed it. 100 X better then Norton.

FIN-IN-RI
06-03-2005, 07:34 PM
If youre really concerned about security get a router or a stand-alone harware firewall.

Otherwise.. McAffee AV, Pestpatrol and Sygate's free software firewall(or McAfee's) will serve you very,very well.

mor911
06-03-2005, 08:14 PM
I use Avast antivirus (http://avast.com). They mostly make Corperate stuff, but their free home version is easily the best anti-virus I've ever used.

Muck
06-03-2005, 09:54 PM
I'll offer a word of advice.

Installing an antivirus program to dust off a virus isn't always a sure thing. There are many stealth viruses out there that can easily circumvent a new antivirus installation. That is why every AV wants to perform a scan before the actual installation process.

It's like foundation under a house. Installing an AV on a dirty, infested system is liken to building your house on muck (no pun intended). Whereas installing an AV on a clean system is like building your house on solid, level foundation.

PHINATIC13
06-03-2005, 10:09 PM
After having to re-boot my NEW computer twice within 4 mos. I now have McAfee AV and Firewall.So far no problems the last two months.Oh I also use Lavasoft SE (the free one).

Roman529
06-03-2005, 11:35 PM
I am using McAfee with my new system for a 90 day free trial period...I just hate the stupid warnings they give and how it interrupts what you are doing....I downloaded anti virus, anti spam and anti spyware from Computer Associates....it works good...I think their site is www.ca.com (http://www.ca.com)

Muck
06-04-2005, 12:13 AM
PC-cillin traditionally has been an excellent all-in-one. Pest Patrol is also a very strong application.

PHINATIC13
06-04-2005, 12:19 AM
I'm sure it works well against all viriuses, but I'm alittle afraid of needles:D

Trend Micro PC-cillin.....you can get it right now on sale for $24.95, normally $49.95.

:up: :up:

Iryman
06-04-2005, 01:14 PM

I have tried to install this program. Went to download.com and I installed it and updated it and did a scan check. After it was done it would not reboot. Kept going over the begining sequece over and over. I tried it again just to make sure i did not mess it up and it did it again. I guess AVG does not like my computer.