PDA

View Full Version : LOL, Some Computer Help right quick.....

Fresh
06-06-2005, 03:27 AM
Okay, I'm not exactly a computer guy. I leave my computer on to download music(I probably have over 5,000 total music files, I know there's over 3,000 on my iTunes), check out my sports/music/movies fix, and use it for some communication. However, lately(like the past week or so), I've noticed something wierd about my computer.

Like after 30-45 minutes of being on the computer, the entire "START" bar at the bottom freezes and the only thing I can use for the next 10 minutes is whatever program I'm currently using. For example, I'll be looking at something on Firefox, yet have AIM, iTunes, & other folders up at the bottom...but all I'd be able to use for the next 10 minutes is the Firefox. Then, after about 10 minutes...everything will be running smoothly again. Even if I restart the computer, it doesn't matter...it happens time & time again. It can't be anything I installed on my computer, because I haven't installed anything in about a month. Is it a setting or something? One of you computer tech dudes help a brotha out, LOL.

Thanks in advance.........

Nappy Roots
06-06-2005, 03:29 AM
you could have spy ware cloggin up your computer, if you aint got one, get a spy ware program & scan ur computer

byroan
06-06-2005, 03:30 AM
Do you use Outlook?

Fresh
06-06-2005, 03:53 AM
Do you use Outlook?

Yeah. Why? It's on here but I don't really use it.

And thanks Nap, I just noticed I haven't ran mine in a while. I used to run that sh*t like every other day.

byroan
06-06-2005, 03:59 AM
Is it running when your computer freezes? Or is it just on your computer.

Wildbill3
06-06-2005, 04:01 AM
How much ram is in your system, what is your system (cpu, vid, Hd, etc)

how many programs do you have open when this occurs, how many webpages? Sounds like spyware, but if you are taxing your system with open programs you may need more ram.

Fresh
06-06-2005, 04:19 AM
How much ram is in your system, what is your system (cpu, vid, Hd, etc)

how many programs do you have open when this occurs, how many webpages? Sounds like spyware, but if you are taxing your system with open programs you may need more ram.

What's the System Idle Process? That's in the 90's. If there's anything I can check to see if it's not going right, lemme know what's up. Thanks.

As for the Outlook, it's just on here......

byroan
06-06-2005, 04:22 AM
When the computer freezes, can you use alt+ctrl+del?

Fresh
06-06-2005, 04:29 AM
When the computer freezes, can you use alt+ctrl+del?

Yup, I can use that & whatever program is running...for example, I have Firefox open right now, with my AIM files box, AIM, & iTunes mini'd. If the comp freezes, I'll still be able to use Firefox, yet I can hear the chirp on AIM & the music still plays(can't view it though). Then, after about 10 minutes(that's what I counted last time because the clock freezes) everything goes back to normal. It's the Start box at the bottom of the computer(which displays everything minimized) that freezes.

DolphinDevil28
06-06-2005, 04:30 AM
When the computer freezes, can you use alt+ctrl+del?=

... :lol: Do you have any idea how awesome it is to go on a Carribean cruise and not worry about computers or e-mail for a whole week??? or not even cell-phones for that matter?

Just listen to Jimmy Buffett for a week, and you'll forget about all that $hit.

:tongue:

byroan
06-06-2005, 04:44 AM
Try this. Go to the start menu and then go to run. Type in msconfig. Click the last tab called startup. Uncheck anything that you don't recognize that shouldn't start up with the computer. When you're done click ok and restart. You might have something starting up with the computer that causes it to freeze. Blah, I'm headed to bed now.

:goodnight

A Wing Pilot
06-06-2005, 08:49 AM
CTRL + alt + delete, then click on processes. kill the process called explorer.exe. All ofg the icons and tool ball will dissapear. then click on the file menu then start new process and type in explorer explorere will restart and all should be fine again. Make sure you stay up to date on windows updates and spyware scanning.

Fresh
06-06-2005, 03:57 PM
CTRL + alt + delete, then click on processes. kill the process called explorer.exe. All ofg the icons and tool ball will dissapear. then click on the file menu then start new process and type in explorer explorere will restart and all should be fine again.

Thanks a mill...it just froze up and I tried that - worked right away. It's quick & easy.

& props to everybody who helped me out in this thread.