PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Sigmaking!

SkapePhin
06-07-2005, 10:06 PM
I have noticed that alot of people have begun making sigs, so I figured Id give you all some tricks of the trade. My suggestions:

-Load up on a bunch of different fonts. Here is a great site to start: http://www.1001freefonts.com/ They are all free. You want to use fonts that suit your theme and mood of the sig you are working on.

-Experiment with different brushes to add little effects here and there.

-Learn to use blends.. Blending is awesome.. I use it in almost all of my sigs.. I choose a pattern then set a blending mode over another color until I reach my desired effects.

-Load up on source material.. Scour google images, or alltheweb.com pictures for dolphin and non-dolphin related material.. save it somewhere on your comp for future use, you never know when you might need it.. Try to get pictures of different textures like rocks, or grass.. you can use that to blend over something and get a unique look and feel.

-More than anything, EXPERIMENT! Its all about messing around with the program until you get something you like or that whoever you are making for will like.. Just fiddle around with stuff until you like it.

Well thats it for now, I look forward to seeing all of your wonderful sigs in the future.

John Biello
06-07-2005, 10:27 PM
awesome tips from one of the best, if not the best thanks man

Nublar7
06-07-2005, 11:04 PM
I downloaded some of those fonts, but I can't seem to get them to open in Photoshop. How do I go about doing this?

John Biello
06-07-2005, 11:08 PM
ive been searching google for everything lately and i found a ton of great fins stuff. yahoo search seems to have more football stuff, maybe its just me

darkmistress
06-07-2005, 11:09 PM
I downloaded some of those fonts, but I can't seem to get them to open in Photoshop. How do I go about doing this?

once the fonts are in your fonts folder you'll have to restart photoshop...if that doesn't work restart your comp...I'm assuming you're using a PC, that should work... :)

byroan
06-07-2005, 11:24 PM

Put them in the C:\Windows\Fonts folder. Restart and they should show up.

Nublar7
06-07-2005, 11:42 PM
Put them in the C:\Windows\Fonts folder. Restart and they should show up.
Thanks! :D

wazzy
06-07-2005, 11:45 PM
WOW the best sig makers probly on the site giving some tips thanks guys I'm still lazy and probly wont make a sig but its good to know just in case.

SkapePhin
06-07-2005, 11:59 PM
Some more tips I was just thinking about..

-Learn to use strokes and fills accordingly.. To do this, just click edit> fill (or stroke). A screen will pop up where you can use different options like the size of the stroke or what type of fill you want ie foreground/background color or pattern.

-Learn to work with layers.. If you dont know already, layers are the key in photoshop. I tend to put every image on its own layer so that its easy to work and change things around. to create a new layer simply click Cntrl+Shift+N. Rename each new layer if you wish.

Buddwalk
06-08-2005, 12:38 AM
Dont use paint! :D

John Biello
06-08-2005, 02:09 AM
i got the layers down, or im getting it...but i havent gotten to much text and or patterns and stroke, i dont fully understand that stuff yet

John Biello
06-08-2005, 11:24 AM
hey skape or dm, could you tell me where i can find patterns, do you have to download them, it says i only have one unless im not going about it right...

burton87
06-08-2005, 11:52 AM
Another good font site is www.dafont.com

SkapePhin
06-08-2005, 12:36 PM
hey skape or dm, could you tell me where i can find patterns, do you have to download them, it says i only have one unless im not going about it right...

Some patterns come with photoshop.. If you are using Pshop 7 or higher, click Edit>Fill

When the Fill screen pops up, click on the use: screen and scroll down to patterns.. choose your patterns from there..

John Biello
06-08-2005, 12:47 PM
thank you found em shortly after i made the post! felt extremely stupid

UCFinfan86
06-08-2005, 11:47 PM
Whats the dimensions of the sigs?

darkmistress
06-09-2005, 12:06 AM
Whats the dimensions of the sigs?

for FH the max specs are 400x300 pxls and 40k in size

UCFinfan86
06-09-2005, 12:22 AM
When i make a new one with 400x300 specs its like a Box not like the long rectangle that everyone elses is

darkmistress
06-09-2005, 12:25 AM
When i make a new one with 400x300 specs its like a Box not like the long rectangle that everyone elses is

400x300 is the max...try 400x125