PDA

View Full Version : Worst Poker Beats?

spydertl79
06-10-2005, 07:02 PM
What's the worst beat you have ever personally witnessed/ experienced?

Last night I was dealt a 5 and 6 of diamonds, so I paid the blind and saw the flop. The flop came down 7 of diamonds, 8 of diamonds, 9 of clubs. Having hit the straight, I made a modest bet of 100 (with chip stacks of about 1500) and I was called by one other player. The turn came 8 of spades. I still had the straight and the straight flush draw but I checked and the other player bet 200, I called. That's when it happened, the 9 of diamonds came down on the river and I almost **** myself. My friend bets all in and I quickly call. He shows 9 of hearts, giving him a full house. I laugh and show him my straight flush. He went home, I ended up winning $60 for coming in 1st place.

Buddwalk
06-10-2005, 09:28 PM
I won a dollar on a scratch ticket before...other than that im not much of a gambling man....haha :lol:

FIN-IN-RI
06-10-2005, 09:35 PM
I had AK suit.. I raised before the flop.. a guy with 2/7 off called me.. i raised him all in.. i was in the lead with hc ace when the prick caught a 2 on the river.. true story from party poker. :lol:

ohall
06-10-2005, 09:38 PM
lol are we talking about real $ bets or what?

Buddwalk
06-10-2005, 09:40 PM

I think so

steeda
06-10-2005, 10:26 PM
I had a full house after the river playing online once, go all-in, and end up getting beat by a 4 of a kind.

DonShula84
06-10-2005, 10:55 PM
Was playing w/ some friends, it was down to me and another guy. First place got 80$. I had pocket Kings, the guy I was going against had an ace last hand so I figured he wouldnt have an ace two hands in a row. I go all in, he had pocket aces and I lost. Still got 40$, but the 80$ would have been nice.

Uncle Rico
06-10-2005, 11:36 PM
My first poker game, I was 15 or 16 and at my aunt's house in Florida. We went to her neighbor's and I was drinking with them and we started 5 card draw. The first hand I was dealt was a straight and of course I didn't trade any of my cards in. They were all like "you sure you don't want any cards?" They were floored I had such a good hand to start off. I guess they thought I was drunk. Other than that one hand I never get lucky in cards.

Edit: I thought it was for the best hand, not worst
I should read the thread title huh?

NaboCane
06-10-2005, 11:42 PM
I once lost $150 in one hand - in a "friendly" game, mind you - with a royal flush. Winner had 5 aces.

Uncle Rico
06-10-2005, 11:46 PM
I once lost $150 in one hand - in a "friendly" game, mind you - with a royal flush. Winner had 5 aces.

I thought a royal flush beats everything?

FIN-IN-RI
06-10-2005, 11:50 PM

When you play with wild cards, 5 of a kind beats anything, unless it's a true royal flush (no wilds) then a royal takes precendence over 4 of a kind plus a wild card..

That's how I play it anyway, could be different rules with dfifferent people.

FIN-IN-RI
06-10-2005, 11:51 PM

Unfortunately. :D

Uncle Rico
06-10-2005, 11:53 PM
When you play with wild cards, 5 of a kind beats anything, unless it's a true royal flush (no wilds) then a royal takes precendence over 4 of a kind plus a wild card..

That's how I play it anyway, could be different rules with dfifferent people.

Makes sense.

How come a flush beats a straight? I would think it's harder to get a straight than a flush.

FIN-IN-RI
06-10-2005, 11:57 PM
Makes sense.

How come a flush beats a straight? I would think it's harder to get a straight than a flush.

It's harder to get a flush because you have to get 5 cards that are all the same suit. With a straight, there are so may different combinations that you can get a straight with because there are 4 suits of each card and it's much easier to get a sequence of 5 cards in order, that have different suits.

There's probably some site that has the odds posted that can go into greater detail. :)

NaboCane
06-11-2005, 12:09 AM

That's what I thought; but apparently (and to my chgrin) the generally accepted rule is that 5OAK beats a RF.

http://www.pagat.com/vying/pokerrank.html
Poker Hand Ranking with Wild Cards

A wild card is a particular card, often a joker, which can be used to substitute for any card the holder wishes, even a duplicate of a card the holder already has. Several cards may be designated as wild - for example all the twos. This must be agreed in advance.

The hand ranking is the same as described above, except that it is now possible to have five of a kind - five cards of the same rank - in which of course at least one will be represented by a wild card. Five of a kind is the highest combination, beating a Royal Flush.

Return to General Index of Card Games site (http://www.pagat.com/index.html)
This page is maintained by John McLeod (john@pagat.demon.co.uk (john@pagat.demon.co.uk?subject=poker_rank)).
© John McLeod, 1996, 2004 Last updated 18th February 2004

Uncle Rico
06-11-2005, 12:10 AM
It's harder to get a flush because you have to get 5 cards that are all the same suit. With a straight, there are so may different combinations that you can get a straight with because there are 4 suits of each card and it's much easier to get a sequence of 5 cards in order, that have different suits.

There's probably some site that has the odds posted that can go into greater detail. :)

I see...

I was thinking like if you needed like an 8 to make a straight would be harder than nedding one heart. But yeah I guess from the beginning of the hand it would be easier to get a straight. Thanks

spydertl79
06-12-2005, 11:26 PM
Another bad one I had in a game that I won 20 and barely missed winning 130 on:

After being dealt pocket Kings I lost with a King high flush to an Ace high flush.