PDA

View Full Version : Will Finheaven vanish like ex-phinzone.com?

wazzy
06-12-2005, 08:39 PM
I always here of a Ex-phinzone going under and it got me thinking what happens if this site goes under. Where will members go after and how will people react?:yell:

Jt0323
06-12-2005, 09:00 PM
Fin heaven will never go down!!!!

P4E
06-12-2005, 09:02 PM
I always here of a Ex-phinzone going under and it got me thinking what happens if this site goes under. Where will members go after and how will people react?:yell:

I don't think people understand just how tenuous the existence of this site is. Despite about a dozen main players contributing thousands of hours to make it what it is... and despite plugging in some tasteful, inobtrusive advertising... the very people who contribute time, energy and expertise to keep it up and running end up contributing cash out of pocket just to cover the fixed costs.

If this site disappeared, I think a lot of people would be thinking about how they should have sent in a few bucks.

Ask yourself how many hours you've enjoyed what this site has to offer.

Then ask yourself if it hasn't been worth at least 10 or 20 friggin cents per hour to you.

If so, there's really no excuse for failing to contribute.

This site REALLY needs the help of anyone who can contribute ANY amount.

People think nothing of dropping $20 on beer and food while watching a single game; -- why wouldn't you be willing to put just that much into a site that gives you so much 24/7/365?:(

btw... NO ONE here gets paid a dime.

Thanks for reading this. God Bless You if you'll take the very few steps it would require to send a few bucks to help keep us afloat.

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=webmaster@finheaven.com&item_name=Donations&cn=Username&tax=0&currency_code=USD

UCFinfan86
06-12-2005, 10:22 PM
What kind of stuff do you spend the money on that has been donated?

A Wing Pilot
06-12-2005, 10:40 PM
thy spend it on bandwith and server costs thats it. they also sell t-shirts and stuff and ALL of that money goes to the exact same place. I rember AJ saying he purs at least 1K(maybe 2 i forget) out of his own pocket each year. I'm in the buisness and bandwith and servers aren't cheap especially for a site as popular as this!!!

ABrownLamp
06-12-2005, 11:29 PM
I find it annoying that people with over 1,000 posts do not have at the very least a "donator" sign under their avatar...I can think of 5 or 6 people right off the top of my head that have posted on this site over 5000 times but have yet to chip in a dime. These people also happen to be working individuals in their 30s. Pretty sad really.

spydertl79
06-12-2005, 11:31 PM
I find it annoying that people with over 1,000 posts do not have at the very least a "donator" sign under their avatar...I can think of 5 or 6 people right off the top of my head that have posted on this site over 5000 times but have yet to chip in a dime. These people also happen to be working individuals in their 30s. Pretty sad really.
Im 16 years old and between girls and car insurance I am broke as hell. If I could afford it then I would chip in.

byroan
06-12-2005, 11:34 PM

It's not sad when you look at college costs. I can't even afford my fall semester right now. I'm going to be looking at loans which is something I wanted to avoid. When I do have money I will donate. I've already talked to AJ about it.

ABrownLamp
06-12-2005, 11:39 PM
Sorry I don't buy it. Grad school is $620 per credit up here at Michigan State. I find it hard to believe that you guys can't donate 10 bucks per year to at least get a donator sign below your avatar.

byroan
06-12-2005, 11:50 PM
Sorry I don't buy it. Grad school is $620 per credit up here at Michigan State. I find it hard to believe that you guys can't donate 10 bucks per year to at least get a donator sign below your avatar.

I'm not going to Michigan State. You're more than welcome to give me $10 and I'll donate it just so I can have a donator sign. You don't know me or how much any of my living expenses are.

PHINATIC13
06-13-2005, 12:37 AM
You're right ABrownLamp, I felt bad so I just made a donation. I really enjoy coming here and reading all threads.Great information and heck I even learn something once in awhile.

Roman529
06-13-2005, 01:15 AM
Yep, donate like me.....this is the best site there is. :)

NaboCane
06-13-2005, 01:34 AM
Guys, I don't think that what P4E said is being taken in the right spirit; I can't speak for him, but this isn't meant to have members sniping at each other.

If you can contribute, do it. If you can't maybe you will be able to in the future; maybe there are other ways in which you can contribute.

I know that there are a LOT of people that could contribute and don't, and I do think that's a shame. But I would never put someone down for not donating unless I was intimately familiar with their circumstances.

Let's be kinder to one another, please?

And for God's sake, man - if you can donate anything at all, do it. I want this site to be here for years to come.

Martel
06-13-2005, 03:02 AM
I didn't know you guys even took donations. I'm in. 25 bucks.

LtDan
06-13-2005, 04:04 AM
PhinZone didn't disappear. It got taken over by FinHeaven

inFINSible
06-13-2005, 08:01 AM
I agree, and I want to point out that a few of those guys are the loudest when it comes to complaining about what they don't like.

dol_fan_81
06-13-2005, 08:05 AM
I don't think people understand just how tenuous the existence of this site is. Despite about a dozen main players contributing thousands of hours to make it what it is... and despite plugging in some tasteful, inobtrusive advertising... the very people who contribute time, energy and expertise to keep it up and running end up contributing cash out of pocket just to cover the fixed costs.

If this site disappeared, I think a lot of people would be thinking about how they should have sent in a few bucks.

Then ask yourself if it hasn't been worth at least 10 or 20 friggin cents per hour to you.

People think nothing of dropping $20 on beer and food while watching a single game; -- why wouldn't you be willing to put just that much into a site that gives you so much 24/7/365?:(

Thanks for reading this. God Bless You if you'll take the very few steps it would require to send a few bucks to help keep us afloat.

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=webmaster@finheaven.com&item_name=Donations&cn=Username&tax=0&currency_code=USD

you could have just said:
'give me your money please'

dolfan4good
06-13-2005, 10:04 AM
BLASPHEMY!!!!!!

Dolphan7
06-13-2005, 11:28 AM

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=webmaster@finheaven.com&item_name=Donations&cn=Username&tax=0&currency_code=USD I have been planning to donate for a month now, just waiting for June 15 (payday in sales) and I found out how to use the paypal method. It is funny though that I sent AJ a PM telling him that I wanted to donate and yet never got a response.

Mindwarp
06-13-2005, 11:30 AM
1. this site wont disapper
2. IF it did that ment the end of the world was here
3. dam thouse premium members and donators

ZOD
06-13-2005, 12:05 PM
PhinZone didn't disappear. It got taken over by FinHeaven

Ding, ding, ding.....

ABrownLamp
06-13-2005, 12:55 PM
I'm not going to Michigan State. You're more than welcome to give me $10 and I'll donate it just so I can have a donator sign. You don't know me or how much any of my living expenses are.

I know your type.

Not really. This was addressed more to working adults. Easy baby. We're cool, we're cool.

Scrap
06-13-2005, 01:05 PM
I find it annoying that people with over 1,000 posts do not have at the very least a "donator" sign under their avatar...I can think of 5 or 6 people right off the top of my head that have posted on this site over 5000 times but have yet to chip in a dime. These people also happen to be working individuals in their 30s. Pretty sad really.If you're talking about me, I have donated before. Not everyone who has donated has a donator sign. I'm not a premium member, but I have purchased items, and have donated to this site.

FinHeavenAJ
06-13-2005, 02:49 PM
Hey everyone, I just want to throw in my two cents.

For the tech savvy:

We are hosted by a company called ThePlanet. We are currently running on a Dual Xeon 2.8Ghz processor with 2 GBs of RAM and a 73 GB SCSI hard drive. FinHeaven is currently pumping out anywhere between 600-800 MBs in bandwidth per month and we currently average slightly above 20,000 unique visits per day. Basically, FinHeaven ain't cheap :).

We understand that not many people like to donate. However, there are other ways. If you purchase something from the FinHeaven Team Store, we get 10% of every sale. If you purchase from the FinHeaven Wear Store... we usually don't get much - but you help promote us! Obviously, donating is the most beneficial for us financially... but any amount is better than nothing.

I have been planning to donate for a month now, just waiting for June 15 (payday in sales) and I found out how to use the paypal method. It is funny though that I sent AJ a PM telling him that I wanted to donate and yet never got a response.

As for Dolphan7, I sincerely apologize for not getting back to you. I really need to take control of my PM box :lol:. It's kinda out of hand, and you are one of many people that I sometimes lose track of. If you still feel like donating, I would greatly appreciate it. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me or PM me. Once again, sorry about that.

If anyone has any more questions about the site in general... or anything for that matter, let me know. However, I will say this...

FinHeaven won't be going anywhere. :D

Sincerely,
Andrew Tatum

Dolphan7
06-13-2005, 03:11 PM

For the tech savvy:

We are hosted by a company called ThePlanet. We are currently running on a Dual Xeon 2.8Ghz processor with 2 GBs of RAM and a 73 GB SCSI hard drive. FinHeaven is currently pumping out anywhere between 600-800 MBs in bandwidth per month and we currently average slightly above 20,000 unique visits per day. Basically, FinHeaven ain't cheap :).

We understand that not many people like to donate. However, there are other ways. If you purchase something from the FinHeaven Team Store, we get 10% of every sale. If you purchase from the FinHeaven Wear Store... we usually don't get much - but you help promote us! Obviously, donating is the most beneficial for us financially... but any amount is better than nothing.

As for Dolphan7, I sincerely apologize for not getting back to you. I really need to take control of my PM box :lol:. It's kinda out of hand, and you are one of many people that I sometimes lose track of. If you still feel like donating, I would greatly appreciate it. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me or PM me. Once again, sorry about that.

If anyone has any more questions about the site in general... or anything for that matter, let me know. However, I will say this...

Sincerely,
Andrew TatumThanks AJ. Look for my contribution this week. Keep up the great work here. Great site!

poisonphin
06-13-2005, 03:19 PM
I'm only 15, if I had a regular working job then I would definetly donate.

mor911
06-13-2005, 03:39 PM
Everyone check out my awesome donator badge!!!

It wasn't much, but it was a lil something for my favorite site. :D

miamikid92
06-13-2005, 03:48 PM
i would if i wasn't broke..:tongue: + my parents are eagles fan and don't like the dolphins, i doubt they would give me money to donate..:lol:

Prime
06-13-2005, 03:54 PM
Buddy, if i could i would. I am 16 and i got to save up for a car and i got to get ready of thinking about college and that matter. This is a great site and i will donate money whenever i do have money. I guess me wanting a girlfriend(no money) is out of the picture. :lol:

Jimi
06-13-2005, 03:59 PM
Im turning 15 in a couple weeks, but still have saved some money. Is there any way to donate other then paypal?

Roman529
06-13-2005, 04:13 PM

Sincerely,
Andrew Tatum

:spot: :bravo: :up: :clap: :rawk: :couch2: :mdfin:

GCD960
06-13-2005, 07:04 PM
OK, im in..

Jt0323
06-13-2005, 07:15 PM

I really wish i could help by donating money but im olny 16 and i dont have a credit card or anything...

FinHeavenAJ
06-13-2005, 07:29 PM
OK, im in..
Thanks for the donation man - much appreciated!

wazzy
06-13-2005, 08:12 PM
Wow look what i started with this thread and I never noticed how young people are like me until they mentioned it.

Phin-o-rama
06-13-2005, 08:13 PM
i will probably donate in the future :)

DolphinDevil28
06-13-2005, 09:13 PM
What's the difference between donating and becoming a "premium member?"

NaboCane
06-13-2005, 09:29 PM
What's the difference between donating and becoming a "premium member?"

Donating can be done in any amount at any time.

Premium Membership costs $84 a year, and is by invitation from AJ.

DolphinDevil28
06-13-2005, 09:36 PM

Premium Membership costs $84 a year, and is by invitation from AJ.

Well I guess AJ must not like me that much, because I haven't gotten an invitation.

Oh well, because that's a pretty steep price anyway to have a little logo on the bottom of your profile.

I'll save that 84 bucks and buy an Ronnie Brown jersey.

poisonphin
06-13-2005, 09:39 PM
Why by invitation? Doesn't he want people to donate?

NaboCane
06-13-2005, 09:40 PM
Well I guess AJ must not like me that much, because I haven't gotten an invitation.

Oh well, because that's a pretty steep price anyway to have a little logo on the bottom of your profile.

I'll save that 84 bucks and buy an Ronnie Brown jersey.

How 'bout that? Just see my sig! And at $75, you'll have enough to have a celebration beer in your new jersey.

DolphinDevil28
06-13-2005, 09:45 PM
How 'bout that? Just see my sig! And at $75, you'll have enough to have a celebration beer in your new jersey.

If you have that in white you might have a deal.

d-day
06-13-2005, 09:47 PM
wow - just became a donator - painless... no needles

NaboCane
06-13-2005, 09:52 PM
If you have that in white you might have a deal.

Voila...

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif
Reebok NFL Equipment Miami Dolphins #23 Ronnie Brown White Replica Football Jersey
$ 74.95 (http://www.footballfanatics.com/?partner_id=395&proid=87981)

DolphinDevil28
06-13-2005, 10:00 PM
Voila...

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif (http://www.footballfanatics.com/fanstore.taf?cmd=productDetails&itemrow=&itemgid=16&itemsgid=1402&itemssgid=&itempricerange=&itemsale=&pid=87981&_UserReference=C0A86FD046B54D8CF35C3986A68E42AE346A)
Reebok NFL Equipment Miami Dolphins #23 Ronnie Brown White Replica Football Jersey (http://www.footballfanatics.com/fanstore.taf?cmd=productDetails&itemrow=&itemgid=16&itemsgid=1402&itemssgid=&itempricerange=&itemsale=&pid=87981&_UserReference=C0A86FD046B54D8CF35C3986A68E42AE346A)
$ 74.95

OK, Nabo. Let me get back to you. I definitely want it. Just give me a day or two, OK?

...and you say this helps finheaven?

byroan
06-13-2005, 10:02 PM
Why by invitation? Doesn't he want people to donate?

Yes he wants people to donate. But the premium membership is for "quality" posters only.

NaboCane
06-13-2005, 10:03 PM
OK, Nabo. Let me get back to you. I definitely want it. Just give me a day or two, OK?

...and you say this helps finheaven?

I personally have nothing to do with it...that link takes you directly to the footballfanatics / FinHeaven store. And FH gets a portion of all sales. So if you're going to buy a jersey, please get it with that link...they have Crowder and Roth jerseys as well.

DolphinDevil28
06-13-2005, 10:09 PM
Yes he wants people to donate. But the premium membership is for "quality" posters only.

byroan, I'd say you, Nublar and I are all quality posters and know as much about the Fins as anyone on here.

Have you gotten an invitation? ...I mean, not that I'm eager to dish out 84 bucks.

MelbournePhin
06-13-2005, 10:23 PM
i dont think i would qulify as a "quality member" ive been banned at least 10 days collectively. most of my posts are decent imo, but its when i start talking smack to rivals in when i get my self into trouble.

FinHeavenAJ
06-13-2005, 10:26 PM
It's not just about being a quality member. Right now, for example, we're full. We don't want to "flood" the premium member forum.

Furthermore, we also look at users that have expressed interest in becoming a premium member.

byroan
06-13-2005, 10:37 PM
byroan, I'd say you, Nublar and I are all quality posters and know as much about the Fins as anyone on here.

Have you gotten an invitation? ...I mean, not that I'm eager to dish out 84 bucks.

I received an invitation but I just can't afford it right now. The second I can though I will. I think Nublar is automatically a premium member because he's a staff member.

poisonphin
06-13-2005, 10:44 PM
I had no idea we even had a premium forum. Whats it like?

DolphinDevil28
06-13-2005, 11:05 PM
I received an invitation but I just can't afford it right now. The second I can though I will. I think Nublar is automatically a premium member because he's a staff member.

Oh well, I guess the "Devil" in my name gives me a bad image??? :lol:

I couldn't care less.

Dolphan7
06-13-2005, 11:50 PM

Premium Membership costs $84 a year, and is by invitation from AJ.That's it? Man I was planning on about $50 bucks to start and then like $20 a month. That's way more than $84. AJ should be inviting me right now man!

SECfootball
06-14-2005, 12:02 AM
I have to ask, who was wearing the Phinzone shirt at minicamp? I saw it and went to the site to check it out and it redirected me here. I guess that was before my online-Fin fan time.

Phin-o-rama
06-14-2005, 11:35 AM
i dont think i would qulify as a "quality member" ive been banned at least 10 days collectively. most of my posts are decent imo, but its when i start talking smack to rivals in when i get my self into trouble.

you have nothing on me padawan

poornate
06-14-2005, 12:11 PM
Someone mentioned the donator symbol as being the mark of someone who has contributed. I have sent in money several times. I could care less wether I got a badge or am considered premium. I just want to have this site to go to......

Philter25
06-14-2005, 02:56 PM
I had no idea we even had a premium forum. Whats it like?
It has velvet buttons and voice activated typing mechanisms. A cocktail waitress pops out of your screen and serves you a drink while the keyboard opens up and massages your hands so you dont get carpeltunnel. You then speak into your mic and it types exactly what you say. The emoticon panel is endless. It is truly heaven.

KenInBoca
06-14-2005, 04:03 PM
I have to ask, who was wearing the Phinzone shirt at minicamp? I saw it and went to the site to check it out and it redirected me here. I guess that was before my online-Fin fan time.

If it was Sunday it wasnt a Phinzone shirt. It was a Phinz Mania shirt and it was me.

dol_fan_81
06-14-2005, 05:00 PM
you can't say PhinzMania here!

KenInBoca
06-14-2005, 05:05 PM
Yes I I find it funny that I have talked to AJ regarding this and he said it would be fixed and then the minute I post anything it is added back in.

Obviously me being here bothers some one.

Here is the shirt I was wearing.

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Dolphan7
06-14-2005, 05:07 PM
Plug

KenInBoca
06-14-2005, 05:11 PM
Actually that wasnt what I was doing.

I have no problem with AJ coming over to my site and posting.

But when certain people find it necessary to mess with others posts even though the owner of the site has said I am welcome here, then I take offense.

Dolphan7
06-14-2005, 05:21 PM
Actually that wasnt what I was doing.

I have no problem with AJ coming over to my site and posting.

But when certain people find it necessary to mess with others posts even though the owner of the site has said I am welcome here, then I take offense.AJ welcoming you to post and AJ welcoming your advertizing on his sight may be two different things. I think you both should advertize on each others site.

I remember you from Phinzone and Mike O and the boys. How is your sight doing by the way?

KenInBoca
06-14-2005, 05:28 PM
We let him have a link to this site on ours and vice versa.

We are doing well. We were over 500 members before we got hit with that worm. When we tried to do a restore off of our backup we couldnt. It was corrupted. So we had to start from scratch. We are now up to 200 members.

Deez Nutz
06-14-2005, 05:28 PM
AJ welcoming you to post and AJ welcoming your advertizing on his sight may be two different things. I think you both should advertize on each others site.

I remember you from Phinzone and Mike O and the boys. How is your sight doing by the way?no offense, but the deal they have is up to them, and not you. If AJ wants to let him post on this site, then he can post on this site. Ken is a great guy, and I'm glad he's here.

Jt0323
06-14-2005, 05:35 PM
I think ********** is a great site and u guys did a good job their...i think you need a logo or something...

KenInBoca
06-14-2005, 05:40 PM
They only thing we use for our logo is the name with our tag line below it.

If we were as big as AJ then maybe we would worry about.

FinHeaven is definitely the biggest site out there by far. We have no urge to be this big.

WAY TO MUCH WORK.

I dont envy them in the slightest. :lol:

Scrap
06-14-2005, 05:55 PM
Good to see ya, Ken.

Dolphan7
06-14-2005, 05:56 PM
We let him have a link to this site on ours and vice versa.

We are doing well. We were over 500 members before we got hit with that worm. When we tried to do a restore off of our backup we couldnt. It was corrupted. So we had to start from scratch. We are now up to 200 members.That is the one thing that bummed me out about Phinzone. They had a server crash, or a theft I can't remember and we all had to start over. I am not into post counts but I think we all like to take a little pride in how long we have been on a site and how many posts we make. It creates a sense of community. Thankfully this site hasnt had such problems since I have been here, May 2004. I think I joined your site are you telling me I need to rejoin?

KenInBoca
06-14-2005, 05:56 PM
Good to see you too Scrappers.

Deez Nutz
06-14-2005, 06:01 PM
That is the one thing that bummed me out about Phinzone. They had a server crash, or a theft I can't remember and we all had to start over. I am not into post counts but I think we all like to take a little pride in how long we have been on a site and how many posts we make. It creates a sense of community. Thankfully this site hasnt had such problems since I have been here, May 2004. I think I joined your site are you telling me I need to rejoin?It doesn't sound to me that he's telling you to rejoin. He was just posting in a thread, minding his own buisness, responding to others people's posts, and you went after him about advertising his site, which he wasn't doing. I'm sure he knows that if someone wanted to join, or rejoin his site, they wouldn't need his influence to do so.

inFINSible
06-14-2005, 06:05 PM
It doesn't sound to me that he's telling you to rejoin. He was just posting in a thread, minding his own buisness, responding to others people's posts, and you went after him about advertising his site, which he wasn't doing. I'm sure he knows that if someone wanted to join, or rejoin his site, they wouldn't need his influence to do so.
Just my two cents here but D7 doesn't sound to me like he was being antagonistic, he was asking an honest question in response to Ken saying he had problems with the server crash. he was asking if that meant he would have to rejoin since his membership was probably lost. Again, just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Dolphan7
06-14-2005, 06:05 PM
It doesn't sound to me that he's telling you to rejoin. He was just posting in a thread, minding his own buisness, responding to others people's posts, and you went after him about advertising his site, which he wasn't doing. I'm sure he knows that if someone wanted to join, or rejoin his site, they wouldn't need his influence to do so.I ignored your earlier post because I thought you misread the mood of what Ken in Boca and I were talking about. I still believe that you are misreading the mood of our posts. I suggest you go back and re-read all the posts and check yourself. No one is attacking anyone here.

Dolphan7
06-14-2005, 06:07 PM
Just my two cents here but D7 doesn't sound to me like he was being antagonistic, he was asking an honest question in response to Ken saying he had problems with the server crash. he was asking if that meant he would have to rejoin since his membership was probably lost. Again, just my opinion, I could be wrong.You are correct.

Deez Nutz
06-14-2005, 06:09 PM
I ignored your earlier post because I thought you misread the mood of what Ken in Boca and I were talking about. I still believe that you are misreading the mood of our posts. I suggest you go back and re-read all the posts and check yourself. No one is attacking anyone here.Whatever, I'm backing KIB up, and to me, you telling him that he was plugging his site, seems like an attack. I apologize for misreading it, but the way I read it the first time is the way I interpret it, and reading it again, and "checking myself" won't change that.

I apologize to D7. It was my mistake. I read wrong.

Scrap
06-14-2005, 06:12 PM
i didnt see it that way deez

ken knows him him longer then he knows us and he is a grownup and can handle himself

Dolphan7
06-14-2005, 07:09 PM
Whatever, I'm backing KIB up, and to me, you telling him that he was plugging his site, seems like an attack. I apologize for misreading it, but the way I read it the first time is the way I interpret it, and reading it again, and "checking myself" won't change that.

I apologize to D7. It was my mistake. I read wrong.All is forgiven.:)

Philter25
06-14-2005, 08:01 PM
Plug :smackhead :shakeno:

Philter25
06-14-2005, 08:02 PM
you can't say ***** ***** here! You could about 3 hours ago. :lol:

Buddwalk
06-14-2005, 08:07 PM
The Answer is simple....

NO!

FinHeavenAJ
06-14-2005, 09:21 PM
The name was off the banned list. In any case, I don't want this to go entirely off topic. The question came around to a PhinZone shirt... KIB simply corrected him. PhinzMania, Phins.com, and a slew of other sites are out there... it's up the the visitor to decide where they want to go. Not us. Not Ken.

MarinoIsKeen
06-14-2005, 10:01 PM
phinzmania.com, sounds addicting I may have to check that out. And also some books at the library.

books :hump:

Deez Nutz
06-14-2005, 10:16 PM
books :hump:Knowledge is power! The More You Know.

Knowledge:hump:

KenInBoca
06-15-2005, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the reply AJ. I appreciate you putting your 2 cents in.

And Deez, thanks for the support man.

I didnt take 7's response as an attack.