PDA

View Full Version : Boy Dies on ride in Epcot

Slappy8800
06-15-2005, 12:17 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/06/14/disney.death.ap/index.html

well im glad i pased on that ride when i was there last year

spydertl79
06-15-2005, 12:18 AM
I went on that ride like a week ago, it's CRAZY. The Gs are ridiculous, lifting my arms felt like bench pressing around 60 pounds.

Slappy8800
06-15-2005, 12:19 AM
I went on that ride like a week ago, it's CRAZY. The Gs are ridiculous, lifting my arms felt like bench pressing around 60 pounds.

its only 2G's....thats nothing

spydertl79
06-15-2005, 12:21 AM
It is to me, I'm not a fighter pilot.

Predaphin
06-15-2005, 12:25 AM
That's crazy...I'm a huge fan of adrenaline rides, but damn, when someone dies, it becomes scary.

Slappy8800
06-15-2005, 12:28 AM
It is to me, I'm not a fighter pilot.
nither am I but the rides up her at Great adventure have more G's

spydertl79
06-15-2005, 12:32 AM
nither am I but the rides up her at Great adventure have more G's
But with this one, you are in a small box, u cant see anything except a screen and right when u "lift off" the G's slowly accelerate. It's a cool *** ride.

Slappy8800
06-15-2005, 12:34 AM
check out this bad boy we have here in NJ

http://www.sixflags.com/parks/greatadventure/Rides/KingdaKa.html

Martel
06-15-2005, 12:36 AM
PSshh that ride sucks!!!!!! I was sick for an hour when I got off of that ride. I seriously thought I was going to throw up, I had to just sit in the grass for an hour. I don't care what the g's say, that made me sick and I do okay on coasters.

Deez Nutz
06-15-2005, 12:37 AM

http://www.sixflags.com/parks/greatadventure/Rides/KingdaKa.htmlI've seen other pictures of that ride as well. I must to ride it.

spydertl79
06-15-2005, 12:54 AM
PSshh that ride sucks!!!!!! I was sick for an hour when I got off of that ride. I seriously thought I was going to throw up, I had to just sit in the grass for an hour. I don't care what the g's say, that made me sick and I do okay on coasters.
I liked the ride, although it is not possible to crash. Me and my friends tried...

Roman529
06-15-2005, 01:54 AM
I went on a similar ride at Epcot back in 1998 with my ex.....sorry to here about the kid but they shouldnt let short people on certain rides. :confused:

dolfan_101
06-15-2005, 02:13 AM

I did a virtual ride and i just shat myself, that was crazy!!!

DonShula84
06-15-2005, 03:19 AM
I went on a similar ride at Epcot back in 1998 with my ex.....sorry to here about the kid but they shouldnt let short people on certain rides. :confused:

He did meet the height requirement though

inFINSible
06-15-2005, 06:46 AM
8.6 million riders since 2003.....

7 hospitalized and one death....

I'd say the ride is safe.

It reminds me of the statistics that say MDMA is dangerous.

NJFINSFAN1
06-15-2005, 08:16 AM

Not anymore for a while, it's been shutdown for saftey reasons.

SABA-TOOTH
06-15-2005, 08:18 AM
Di$ney= Law$uit

A Wing Pilot
06-15-2005, 08:38 AM
I love costers and rode this thing 3 times back to back. It was fantastic!!!! however and i can't stress my sorrow enough for the family, losing a child would be unbearable to me, and you can bet your sweet juicy @$$ that i am going to make those *******s at disney pay (and they will settle out of court) but even afterwords I'd still rather have my kid back :cry:

dolfan4good
06-15-2005, 09:59 AM
I love costers and rode this thing 3 times back to back. It was fantastic!!!! however and i can't stress my sorrow enough for the family, losing a child would be unbearable to me, and you can bet your sweet juicy @$$ that i am going to make those *******s at disney pay (and they will settle out of court) but even afterwords I'd still rather have my kid back :cry:
Sue them for what? The ride wasn't broken. I think the kid died of fright...

I too would find it unbearable to lose one of my 4 kids. My only son is also 4 years old and my biggest fear and source of nightmare is something bad or evil befalling him (or any of my 3 girls, ages 16, 10, 2).

last night, our prayers were for that family.

DrAstroZoom
06-15-2005, 10:29 AM
I used to love to ride coasters when I was young and thin enugh to jump out of my wheelchair and crawl on the rides. I couldn't do the upside down coasters though, for fear that my feet would fly up in my face.

Now that I'm older and fatter, a brisk cornering move is my idea of a thrill ride. :astro:

Noodle Arm
06-15-2005, 10:45 AM
Now that I'm older and fatter, a brisk cornering move is my idea of a thrill ride. :astro:

It happens when we get older. When I was a kid, I used to love going on my skateboard, riding on ramps and jumping over cars. Now I'm scared to climb a ladder. :lol:

As for this case, the family can TRY to sue Disney...but they don't have much of a case. There was nothing faulty with the ride at all, so there's nothing to blame Disney on.

Philter25
06-15-2005, 10:50 AM
Di$ney= Law$uit

Di$ney = $$$$ = will never go to court.

They have the cash and the power to make it disappear.

painnotpleasure
06-15-2005, 12:31 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/06/14/disney.death.ap/index.html

well im glad i pased on that ride when i was there last year Damn... that's a shame... :( My condolences go out to his family.
8.6 million riders since 2003.....

7 hospitalized and one death....

I'd say the ride is safe.

It reminds me of the statistics that say MDMA is dangerous. I absolutely agree. But once that one fatal accident happens, everyone is in panic. Knowing me... I would still go on that right despite what happened. Just a real tragedy for that kid and his family.
check out this bad boy we have here in NJ http://www.sixflags.com/parks/greatadventure/Rides/KingdaKa.html :yes: I'm going on that this summer, I can't wait. :cooldude:

NJFINSFAN1
06-15-2005, 12:43 PM
Damn... that's a shame... :( My condolences go out to his family. I absolutely agree. But once that one fatal accident happens, everyone is in panic. Knowing me... I would still go on that right despite what happened. Just a real tragedy for that kid and his family. :yes: I'm going on that this summer, I can't wait. :cooldude:

Check with 6 flags, it is closed down due to problems, may be closed up to 6 weeks.

John Biello
06-15-2005, 12:53 PM
i dunno guys i guess the autopsy hasnt found any signs of trauma to the child, the ride was functioning normally, just must be a freak thing, maybe he had a pre existing heart ailment that wasnt diagnosed....i agree its very sad, and while i live here i havent been on that ride yet, what im wondering is it safe, i mean as a parent would you let your 4 year old child ride that ride to begin with..?

kud
06-15-2005, 02:55 PM
A 4 year old shouldn't be permitted to ride a ride like that in the first place. I've never seen this ride, haven't been to epcot in years, but it sounds intense.

Sounds similar to the gravatron (Starship 5000), that they have at most county fairs where the pressure sticks you to the walls.

inFINSible
06-15-2005, 03:17 PM
Damn... that's a shame... :( My condolences go out to his family. I absolutely agree. But once that one fatal accident happens, everyone is in panic.
And that sucks for the rest of the 8.5999994 million people that have ridden it without a problem because now some lawmaker is going to come along and play to those panic stricken few who are too stupid to understand statistics, and change laws that will effect us all.

It's the way things work in this country.

saves
06-15-2005, 03:47 PM
That is a really sweet ride though, its ashame what happened.

MIADolFan
06-15-2005, 04:05 PM
People die on roller coasters all the time. However the deaths that occur are more indirect. It is usually just that the coaster or ride aggravates a current medical condition.

There have beens deaths like this at lots of parks. The warnings are there for a good reason. The warning at Mission:Space is huge and hard to miss. Plus I think its repeated several times in the preshows and speils.

I think we will find later on that this kid likely had an heart or other medical condition that no one knew about. I just can't imagine losing my child. I would be devastated.

Slappy8800
06-15-2005, 09:31 PM
Check with 6 flags, it is closed down due to problems, may be closed up to 6 weeks.

i know those f*&kers

Raoul Duke
06-15-2005, 09:52 PM
i never even heard of this ride a Epcot until last week when the kid died...is it seriously that intense?

DolphinDevil28
06-15-2005, 10:07 PM
That's why when I go to Epcot, I just go straight to the back to the World Showcase and drink around the world.

You start at France, get champaigne, then go around and get a beer at every country and finish off with a margarita in Mexico.

Whew!

Nublar7
06-15-2005, 10:16 PM
i never even heard of this ride a Epcot until last week when the kid died...is it seriously that intense?
I have been on it, and yes it is intense. Imagine being in a tin can with a string attached and being swung around in a circle real fast. It is pretty awesome though. For thrillseekers this is a must.

NJFINSFAN1
06-16-2005, 07:59 AM
That's why when I go to Epcot, I just go straight to the back to the World Showcase and drink around the world.

You start at France, get champaigne, then go around and get a beer at every country and finish off with a margarita in Mexico.

Whew!

I went down with the kids and another family last year, by the time I got to the end I was blastered! Germany was my favorite!

nyjunc
06-16-2005, 08:04 AM

It is a great ride, I don't love tight spaces but as long as I focus forward towards the screen I do ok and I love it.

dolfan4good
06-16-2005, 08:54 AM
Only 3 reasons to go to Epcot......

3. Test Track
2. Drinking at the World Showcase
1. Mission Space

The rest of Epcot I can do without....

nyjunc
06-16-2005, 09:09 AM
Only 3 reasons to go to Epcot......

3. Test Track
2. Drinking at the World Showcase
1. Mission Space

The rest of Epcot I can do without....

I;m not a big EPCOT fan either. My favorite poark of all of them in that area is Islands of Adventure, they have great rides there.

Pagan
06-16-2005, 09:13 AM
A 4 year old shouldn't be permitted to ride a ride like that in the first place. I've never seen this ride, haven't been to epcot in years, but it sounds intense.
Finally someone with some common sense.

I'm reading all these posts about the "poor family" and "sue the b*stards" and all that, but it seems EVERYONE is missing the point.

Meeting the height requirement nonwithstanding, what kind of parent allows a FOUR YEAR OLD to go on a f*cking ride like that? Was this mother INSANE? I won't go on that friggin ride, and she let's a kid who's bones and muscles haven't fully developed yet go on.

I'm sorry but I have no sympathy for her, only for the small boy who's parent didn't have a brain in that f*cking melon resting on her shoulders.

I;m not a big EPCOT fan either. My favorite poark of all of them in that area is Islands of Adventure, they have great rides there.
Of course not....most people today don't enjoy anything unless it's "extreme" or a thrill ride. No one wants to get their "learn on" while they're on vacation.

Sad....I love the place.

nyjunc
06-16-2005, 09:25 AM
Of course not....most people today don't enjoy anything unless it's "extreme" or a thrill ride. No one wants to get their "learn on" while they're on vacation.

I've been there a million times, I've done everything there is to do there. I did enjoy it more as an adult than a kid but it can be very boring if you've seen everything there multiple times.

Pagan
06-16-2005, 09:37 AM
I've been there a million times, I've done everything there is to do there. I did enjoy it more as an adult than a kid but it can be very boring if you've seen everything there multiple times.
Guess it's just a matter of how you approach it. I like going into the different countries and conversing with the workers who are actually from those countries. Don't care much for what I "see", but more what I experience. ;)

nyjunc
06-16-2005, 09:40 AM
Guess it's just a matter of how you approach it. I like going into the different countries and conversing with the workers who are actually from those countries. Don't care much for what I "see", but more what I experience. ;)

My Wife loves the Countries, that is probably her favorite part of any park but I'm not too big on that area.

Migs182005
06-16-2005, 11:04 AM

exactly, this ride is not what it is made out to be.

Especially for 120 min wait :lol:

For a young child, that is different, but this ride is pretty weak. The only cool thing I liked was the actual launch, but even then I would have enjoyed more G's.

backpacker
06-16-2005, 01:25 PM
i've never been on this ride but from the descriptions i agree with pagan. why would u let ur 4 year old son on a ride like that.

dolfan4good
06-16-2005, 02:10 PM
Im sure Disney will now increase the height requirement to 54 inches instead of 44. %4 Inches is the height requirement for big roller coasters like "The Hulk" in Islands of Adventure and "kraken" in Seaworld.