PDA

View Full Version : My big move

Gonzo
06-17-2005, 09:20 AM
While this doesn't compare to some of the moves I have read of some members making, its a fairly big one for me. I have moved from Phoenix, AZ to Waterloo, Ontario. Anyone from around here? Any advice on where I can go to see some games? I am already excited about being able to see a lot more Phins games up here, though it will be in rival's homes.

Another question that is even less likely of getting answered. I am using the GI Bill up here to attend the University of Waterloo. Has anybody else used that to attend a foreign school?

Mako
06-19-2005, 09:12 PM
Poor guy.. :lol:

I miss Phoenix. Used to live there myself.

Buddwalk
06-19-2005, 09:38 PM
ouch dude that sucks...canada sucks hard :lol:

j/k

Predaphin
06-19-2005, 11:29 PM
damn, from AZ all the way to canada...damn

wpgfishfan
06-20-2005, 01:12 AM
Get the Sunday Ticket some how or all you will see is Bills games.

byroan
06-20-2005, 01:15 AM
Sunday Ticket is cheaper in Canada so just go with that. I heard it was something like $19.99 a month.

unifiedtheory
06-20-2005, 01:22 AM

Is there something in the T.O.S. about insulting an ENTIRE nation? Ignorance is bliss is'nt it...

Putting you on ignore is in order....it's better then stating how I really feel and getting hit with a ban.

GreenMonster
06-20-2005, 01:23 AM
Sunday Ticket is cheaper in Canada so just go with that. I heard it was something like $19.99 a month.

Man we are getting raped like that dog then here in the U.S.

unifiedtheory
06-20-2005, 01:24 AM

$19.99 a month it is...I have not heard how much it will be this year though...I assume it will go up some because of the rights fee increase.

byroan
06-20-2005, 03:10 AM
Man we are getting raped like that dog then here in the U.S.

Seriously, I feel like moving to Canada for that and cheaper prescriptions. :chuckle:

Buddwalk
06-20-2005, 03:47 AM
Seriously, I feel like moving to Canada for that and cheaper prescriptions. :chuckle:

Isnt Marijuana legal in canada...Oh Hail Canada!

btw...heres something i just made in tribute to my favorite drug

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2005/06/marijuana3ks-1.gif

WharfRat
06-20-2005, 08:42 AM

That was out of line. :tsk:

Canada represents a fairly large number of our membership.

Dudeman
06-20-2005, 06:06 PM
While this doesn't compare to some of the moves I have read of some members making, its a fairly big one for me. I have moved from Phoenix, AZ to Waterloo, Ontario. Anyone from around here? Any advice on where I can go to see some games? I am already excited about being able to see a lot more Phins games up here, though it will be in rival's homes.

Another question that is even less likely of getting answered. I am using the GI Bill up here to attend the University of Waterloo. Has anybody else used that to attend a foreign school?

was there a reason for the move? Like a job or something? Because you usually dont hear about somebody moving what, 2,000 miles at the drop of a hat, especially at your age

is waterloo a suburb of Toronto?

Buddwalk
06-20-2005, 06:17 PM
That was out of line. :tsk:

Canada represents a fairly large number of our membership.

I publically appolize for it...its just im very high on being an american :D

I'm sorry to all that I have offended!

Buddwalk
06-20-2005, 06:20 PM
Is there something in the T.O.S. about insulting an ENTIRE nation? Ignorance is bliss is'nt it...

Putting you on ignore is in order....it's better then stating how I really feel and getting hit with a ban.

I again apologize...im sorry for affending the nation...It was really just a joke and i forgot to put the j/k

I'm american 100% through...Canadas alright though, I went there to see the Niagra Falls...really cool! :D

poisonphin
06-20-2005, 06:40 PM
budd, when I saw this I thought of you :lol:

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Buddwalk
06-20-2005, 06:43 PM
budd, when I saw this I thought of you :lol:

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

:D

Roman529
06-20-2005, 10:55 PM
Damn what a change of scenery....going from the hot desert to the cold North....I have never been to Ontario but use to live in the Phoenix area. Sometimes a change of scenery is good though...I have lived all over from
being a military brat. How are the women in Canada? They say "eh" a lot?
What you studying?
:lol:

KPDolfan424
06-21-2005, 01:24 AM
What do they call canadian bacon in canada?

Gonzo
06-22-2005, 10:45 AM
I moved up here...for a girl :eek: . Because I am still in school and she is already graduated and working, and because of both of our insanely ridiculous immigration laws, it was much easier for me to move up here and go to school than it was for her to get a job in the U.S. I could go on a rant about our immigration laws, but I will refrain. All I can think of is the South Park episode on the subject. "Ther takin er jobs!" I will note that there is no benefit to being a veteran when it comes to dealing with immigration.

As for Canada vs. Phoenix, there is no comparison. I won't miss it at all. I was going to leave as soon as possible anyways. I go from a place where my car had been broken into 3 times and eventually stolen, a place where my house was broken into 4 times (different houses, different people), and a place where I have been shot at twice and had a gun pulled on me several times to a place where I can leave my door unlocked with no worry. In fact, my girlfriend and her friends laugh everytime I set the alarm on my car (out of habit).

The weather is awesome right now, though I don't look forward to the winter. I am in the process of getting my study visa so I can get a job (without "takin der jobs!") on campus. I am studying history, which is another good reason for coming up here. I am interning for the Centre for International Governance Innovation. It all but guarantees my acceptance to grad. school. A bach. in History in Phoenix all but guarantees me a job at Starbucks.

And they do say "eh" a lot, but only to make fun of the stereotype. I guess the stereotypes go both ways though, a lot of people were expecting me to have an southern accent. Probably a cowboy hat too. :lol:

As for being stuck with Buffalo games, keep in mind where I am coming from. Cardinal games, half of which are blacked out, isn't much better. At least I am guaranteed to see 2 Phins games up here on tv, though I fully plan on going to the game in buff. at the very least. Maybe the game in NY too.

One thing though, and maybe a Canadian can help me out: What is up with the obsession with Tim Hortons here? I mean, its decent coffee, but my God...

Gonzo
06-22-2005, 10:48 AM
What do they call canadian bacon in canada?

Its the only thing they eat. And they only drink maple syrup and Canadian (ugh).

P4E
06-22-2005, 01:28 PM
One more Canadian question, if you don't mind...

Regarding Moosehead, -- is it better to get it or to give it?

byroan
06-22-2005, 02:17 PM

:spit:

THOMAS_54
06-22-2005, 02:43 PM
One thing though, and maybe a Canadian can help me out: What is up with the obsession with Tim Hortons here? I mean, its decent coffee, but my God... First of all, everyone loves the coffee so much. The other reason is because of the fact that Tim Hortons is Canadian, not like most of the other food chains.

genx23
06-22-2005, 02:48 PM
Welcome to Canada! I live just outside of Toronto but went to school at Waterloo. Just wait for Oktoberfest, its one hell of a party. For an entire week all of Kitchener-Waterloo is devoted to nothing other than drinking beer and eating sausage. Heaven!

As for Tim Horton's obsession, I don't know either and I've lived here my entire life. Personally I prefer Coffee Time.

If you ever make it down to Toronto, let me know and I'll buy you a beer.

Gonzo
06-22-2005, 03:50 PM

"What? All I said is 'Canadian beer sucks.'"

Gonzo
06-22-2005, 03:53 PM
First of all, everyone loves the coffee so much. The other reason is because of the fact that Tim Hortons is Canadian, not like most of the other food chains.

I'll give Canadian's that, they are extremely loyal to their brands.

rujpett?
06-22-2005, 03:53 PM
Canada rocks... what are you talking about?

At least we don't have a ******ed war-happy leader like Bush - although I don't even know who our leader is - ha ha ha (Prime Minister - Paul Martin).

rujpett?
06-22-2005, 03:54 PM
Although the WestCoast rocks harder than the east.

:tongue:

wazzy
06-22-2005, 03:55 PM

j/k

Yo man im from hamilton, Ontario were pretty far away but im warning you now your going to see a lot of people with Bills shirts and jerseys in Canada because there stupid and watch ****ty football every Sunday(bills) jkz jkz

Good luck adjusting to teh weather though really different.

Gonzo
06-22-2005, 03:57 PM
Welcome to Canada! I live just outside of Toronto but went to school at Waterloo. Just wait for Oktoberfest, its one hell of a party. For an entire week all of Kitchener-Waterloo is devoted to nothing other than drinking beer and eating sausage. Heaven!

As for Tim Horton's obsession, I don't know either and I've lived here my entire life. Personally I prefer Coffee Time.

If you ever make it down to Toronto, let me know and I'll buy you a beer.

Yeah, my girlfriend told me all about it. I can't wait. This town does do a LOT of drinking, which is a big plus in my book. Spent last weekend at the Voodoo Lounge and Fubar (previously Fiascos and Loose Change Louies if I remember correctly). We went to the Heuther too for cheap beer (my girlfriend's family were the founders of that place). Now I am thirsty...

Gonzo
06-22-2005, 04:02 PM
Yo man im from hamilton, Ontario were pretty far away but im warning you now your going to see a lot of people with Bills shirts and jerseys in Canada because there stupid and watch ****ty football every Sunday(bills) jkz jkz

Good luck adjusting to teh weather though really different.

Surprisingly I have already seen three Phins jerseys and only 1 jills. Not worried about the weather, I am originally from Creede, CO which is the same or worse. Not looking forward to it though, especially the wind of Toronto.