PDA

View Full Version : Who is the greatest guitarist of all time?

Buddwalk
06-21-2005, 10:52 PM
Who is the greatest guitarist of all time...I've decided to create a poll for this! :D

My vote goes to eric clapton with page a close second and Satriani a close third

Muck
06-21-2005, 11:06 PM
Dirk Diggler's friend in Boogie Nights.

"FEEEeeeeeel. Feel my heat."

Boone
06-21-2005, 11:12 PM
Eddie Van Halen

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Slappy8800
06-21-2005, 11:14 PM
Slash!!!!

Buddwalk
06-21-2005, 11:14 PM
Slash!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

He might make the top 50

Eddie Van Halen

I put alot of these guys in the list for the simple fact that they were great...But Eddies style was nearly as good as the others i've listed. Alot of his stuff is just fast and makes no sense...he adds no melody in nothing he plays

Boone
06-21-2005, 11:18 PM
You should've added other(specify) to your poll....not everyone shares your opinion...

dolfan_101
06-21-2005, 11:19 PM
Eddie Van Halen

Took the picture right out of my mind!!!!

dolfan_101
06-21-2005, 11:21 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

He might make the top 50

I put alot of these guys in the list for the simple fact that they were great...But Eddies style was nearly as good as the others i've listed. Alot of his stuff is just fast and makes no sense...he adds no melody in nothing he plays

Budd you need to listen to some more of his stuff!!!

Buddwalk
06-21-2005, 11:23 PM
Budd you need to listen to some more of his stuff!!!

I've heard lots of eddie...man hes not that great trust me

There are better

Boone
06-21-2005, 11:27 PM
Click on this link and listen the the second song sample to hear Eddie Van Halen...

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?style=music&pid=1102436&cart=254749321&bab=E

PHINATIC13
06-21-2005, 11:29 PM
Eddie Van Halen

:yeahthat:

Buddwalk
06-21-2005, 11:29 PM
Click on this link and listen the the second song sample to hear Eddie Van Halen...

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?style=music&pid=1102436&cart=254749321&bab=E

Sorry hold up...i clicked something else obviously let me check this out

Vol&dolfan
06-21-2005, 11:30 PM
I say hendrix with Van Halen a close 2nd.

Boone
06-21-2005, 11:30 PM

There are better
In your opinion....of course.

Boone
06-21-2005, 11:32 PM
I cant you gave me the link to a gif image :lol:I changed it...my mistake...try again.

Buddwalk
06-21-2005, 11:34 PM
LOL eruption aint the greatest my friend...slow the song down and it has no melody what so ever

I can play fast like that...it doesnt make you great to play fast

Boone
06-21-2005, 11:42 PM
whatever dude....you asked who we thought was the greatest...I answered...you totally disagree....so why ask who we think is great if your just going to shoot us down?

Slappy8800
06-22-2005, 12:57 AM
seriosuly dude....Slash at WORST is top 10....now way are there 49 better guitarists

dolfan_101
06-22-2005, 01:05 AM
Dance The Night Away has melody, so does Pretty Woman, Beautiful Girls, the list goes on....

Buddwalk
06-22-2005, 01:32 AM
seriosuly dude....Slash at WORST is top 10....now way are there 49 better guitarists

There are much better than him....probobly top 30 but im not even sure if he can crack the top 25

LtDan
06-22-2005, 02:03 AM
S.R.V.

Slappy8800
06-22-2005, 02:08 AM
youve got to listen to some more of his stuff then dude...not just his GnR and VR stuff

dolfan_101
06-22-2005, 02:22 AM
youve got to listen to some more of his stuff then dude...not just his GnR and VR stuff

Slash is a pretty good guitarist, i am glad to see him still shreding it up in VR. I even bought VR's album Contraband the month it came out.

Roman529
06-22-2005, 03:14 AM
S.R.V.

I'll 2nd that...R.I.P. Stevie.....

d-day
06-22-2005, 03:46 AM
LOL eruption aint the greatest my friend...slow the song down and it has no melody what so ever

I can play fast like that...it doesnt make you great to play fast

budd - eddie isn't considered one of the best because he plays fast - there are plenty of shredders that can play faster than him - but saying eddie has no melody and isn't that great... you must have been really high when you wrote that - don't forget, being a great guitar player is more than just playing guitar solos - it's about writing music - are you saying vh songs have no melody? - listen to dance the night away off vh2 or little guitars and secrets off diver down and tell me you don't hear melody - eruption is outdated but for it's time it was visionary... take some time and try to learn how to play spanish fly... good luck with that one - there's a lot of guitar players i personally like better than evh - jimi for me - but give the man his props - he is a guitar god - if you don't have fair warning, i will personally burn it for you - p.s. that was a great pic of evh boone... and i thought you only posted hotties :tongue:

LtDan
06-22-2005, 03:52 AM
Yngwie Malmsteen should be on that poll!! And maybe George Lynch, Vivian Campbell, Steve Vai and Ronni Le Tekro. Also can't believe Mustaine is on that list but not Hammett.http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2005/06/wtf-1.gif (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2005/12/bs-1.gif (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)

Buddwalk
06-22-2005, 04:40 AM
Yngwie Malmsteen should be on that poll!! And maybe George Lynch, Vivian Campbell, Steve Vai and Ronni Le Tekro. Also can't believe Mustaine is on that list but not Hammett.http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2005/06/wtf-1.gif (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2005/12/bs-1.gif (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)

I like hammet more than mustaine but mustaine is definitely the better guitarist

Lots of people should be on this list but Yngwie isnt better than batio

LtDan
06-22-2005, 04:53 AM
\Never heard of Batio to be honest. Might have to look him up. Have you ever heard Ronnie Le Tekro?http://www.hardrockhaven.net/rltekro/
http://www.tnttheband.com/index/indexNEW.htm

d-day
06-22-2005, 05:39 AM
Lots of people should be on this list but Yngwie isnt better than batioNever heard of Batio to be honest. Might have to look him up. Have you ever heard Ronnie Le Tekro?http://www.hardrockhaven.net/rltekro/
http://www.tnttheband.com/index/indexNEW.htm[/QUOTE]

ronnie le :hump: - one of my favorites - saw tnt and another great, akira takasaki, together on the tell no tales tour in tampa, fl

LtDan
06-22-2005, 05:41 AM
Never heard of Batio to be honest. Might have to look him up. Have you ever heard Ronnie Le Tekro?http://www.hardrockhaven.net/rltekro/
http://www.tnttheband.com/index/indexNEW.htm

Good ole' Loudness! Akira can play. Seven Seas by TNT is one of my all-time favorite songs

d-day
06-22-2005, 05:47 AM
Good ole' Loudness! Akira can play. Seven Seas by TNT is one of my all-time favorite songs

for me it's 10,000 lovers by tnt and anything off disillusion by loudness - have you ever heard westworld dan?

DonShula84
06-22-2005, 05:47 AM
Also can't believe Mustaine is on that list but not Hammett.

I voted for Clapton. I saw him in concert a year or two ago and the guy was amazing.

LtDan
06-22-2005, 05:58 AM
for me it's 10,000 lovers by tnt and anything off disillusion by loudness - have you ever heard westworld dan?No, never heard of them if they are a band. Good old movie though with yul brenner

I voted for Clapton. I saw him in concert a year or two ago and the guy was amazing.What's up Don! Long time-no see

d-day
06-22-2005, 06:02 AM
No, never heard of them if they are a band. Good old movie though with yul brenner

What's up Don! Long time-no see

westworld is tony harnell of tnt and mark reale of riot - outstanding stuff

PassRush
06-22-2005, 06:02 AM
Best? Randy Rhoads. Most influential? Dimebag Darrel Abbot. Why isnt he on the list?

LtDan
06-22-2005, 06:04 AM
westworld is tony harnell of tnt and mark reale of riot - outstanding stuffI looked them up. Dude from Danger Danger too. Might have to check them out!

d-day
06-22-2005, 06:06 AM
Best? Randy Rhoads. Most influential? Dimebag Darrel Abbot. Why isnt he on the list?

i luv randy - i was lucky to see the blizzard of oz tour in rochester ny - and get this... got to meet the whole band at a local music store the house of guitars before the show and got my record sleeve signed by the whole band...

LtDan
06-22-2005, 06:09 AM
i luv randy - i was lucky to see the blizzard of oz tour in rochester ny - and get this... got to meet the whole band at a local music store the house of guitars before the show and got my record sleeve signed by the whole band...Thats Cool! I got my picture taken with Armored Saint back in 86' and met 3 members of Quiet Riot in 88"(DuBrow, Cavazo, and I believe Chuck Wright was the bassist then)

Pagan
06-22-2005, 06:21 AM
*sigh*..."who's the greatest" polls...always come down to a popularity contest instead of who truly is the greatest.

Even though I love some of them, when you get right down to the grand scheme of things, Eddie Van Halen, Slash, Mustaine...none of them belong anywhere NEAR a poll like this.

There are guitarists out there who chew up and spit out most of that list that aren't even mentioned.

Alan Holdsworth
John McGlaughlin (sp?)
Robert Fripp
Al DiMeola

Just to name a few.

But the greatest, bar none for two simple reasons, was Hendrix. No one influenced more players....no one innovated the instrument more.

End of story.

Boone
06-22-2005, 06:52 AM
*sigh*..."who's the greatest" polls...always come down to a popularity contest instead of who truly is the greatest.

Even though I love some of them, when you get right down to the grand scheme of things, Eddie Van Halen, Slash, Mustaine...none of them belong anywhere NEAR a poll like this.

There are guitarists out there who chew up and spit out most of that list that aren't even mentioned.

Alan Holdsworth
John McGlaughlin (sp?)
Robert Fripp
Al DiMeola

Just to name a few.

But the greatest, bar none for two simple reasons, was Hendrix. No one influenced more players....no one innovated the instrument more.

End of story.
:2c:

dolfan_101
06-22-2005, 01:11 PM
budd - eddie isn't considered one of the best because he plays fast - there are plenty of shredders that can play faster than him - but saying eddie has no melody and isn't that great... you must have been really high when you wrote that - don't forget, being a great guitar player is more than just playing guitar solos - it's about writing music - are you saying vh songs have no melody? - listen to dance the night away off vh2 or little guitars and secrets off diver down and tell me you don't hear melody - eruption is outdated but for it's time it was visionary... take some time and try to learn how to play spanish fly... good luck with that one - there's a lot of guitar players i personally like better than evh - jimi for me - but give the man his props - he is a guitar god - if you don't have fair warning, i will personally burn it for you - p.s. that was a great pic of evh boone... and i thought you only posted hotties :tongue:

Spanish Fly is acoustic guitar greatness!!!

Buddwalk
06-22-2005, 03:24 PM

Alan Holdsworth
John McGlaughlin (sp?)
Robert Fripp
Al DiMeola

Just to name a few.

End of story.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you this time

I agree on the fact that Eddie VH, Slash, and Mustaine dont belong on the list But There are so many guys that can truely rip up on a guitar that its impossible to make a list of the best. But you say hendrix...I really cant disagree there but you chose hendrix for the wrong reasons. Hendrix was all effects man, true he did change the way the electric guitar was played but he was all on stage, all a preformance. My opinion i left out George Harrison who was an amazing guitarist as well [Beatles Guitarist] Dont forget without the beatles there wouldnt be rock n roll, they created distortion :D

wazzy
06-22-2005, 03:27 PM
Hendrix gets my vote!

dolfan_101
06-22-2005, 07:14 PM
I'm gonna have to disagree with you this time

I agree on the fact that Eddie VH, Slash, and Mustaine dont belong on the list But There are so many guys that can truely rip up on a guitar that its impossible to make a list of the best. But you say hendrix...I really cant disagree there but you chose hendrix for the wrong reasons. Hendrix was all effects man, true he did change the way the electric guitar was played but he was all on stage, all a preformance. My opinion i left out George Harrison who was an amazing guitarist as well [Beatles Guitarist] Dont forget without the beatles there wouldnt be rock n roll, they created distortion :D

You all have to be crazy to take EVH of that list!!!! He won greatest guitarist in the world like five times straight, prefected ( didn't invent it, Jimmy Page did ) finger tapping, and a LOT more accomplishments!!!! And Budd you said you left out George Harrison; GOOD most of his guitar playing time must of been when he was on some drug, or atleast that is how it sounds. He may have been a big influence for guitaarists but he sucked.

Buddwalk
06-22-2005, 07:22 PM
You all have to be crazy to take EVH of that list!!!! He won greatest guitarist in the world like five times straight, prefected ( didn't invent it, Jimmy Page did ) finger tapping, and a LOT more accomplishments!!!! And Budd you said you left out George Harrison; GOOD most of his guitar playing time must of been when he was on some drug, or atleast that is how it sounds. He may have been a big influence for guitaarists but he sucked.

Pick up a beatles album man...your definitely wrong Harrison was amazing

EVH isnt like the guitarists on this list, he isnt in a class of his own...hes ina class with alot of other people

But people like

Eric Clapton
SRV
Page
Hendrix

guys like that there in a class of there own

Prime
06-22-2005, 07:23 PM
The greatest guitarist has got to be Jimi Hendrix baby!

dolfan_101
06-22-2005, 07:37 PM

EVH isnt like the guitarists on this list, he isnt in a class of his own...hes ina class with alot of other people

But people like

Eric Clapton
SRV
Page
Hendrix

I did my history project on the Beatles and i listened to almost every song on every album!!! Nothing special, i know a lot more people who can play a lot better. He was more of a song writer, and was definently way more influential than anything; because back then there were no rock bands. As for Hendrix he gets a lot more credit because he died so young. Don't get me wrong he was an awesome guitarist, and made it what it is. If he had lived longer this also goes for Randy Rhodes he probably would be the best. Jimmy Page is definently a top 3 guitarist to me. He played guitar with a violin bow on "Dazed and Confused", invented finger tapping, used unique tuning techniques he studied from i think Arabian guitarists. Eric Clapton is an all around guitarist great in every aspect of it. But EVH is still a first to me with Jimmy Page a close second.

DonShula84
06-22-2005, 07:41 PM
What's up Don! Long time-no see

Hey Lt, how's it goin

Buddwalk
06-22-2005, 07:44 PM
I did my history project on the Beatles and i listened to almost every song on every album!!! Nothing special, i know a lot more people who can play a lot better. He was more of a song writer, and was definently way more influential than anything; because back then there were no rock bands. As for Hendrix he gets a lot more credit because he died so young. Don't get me wrong he was an awesome guitarist, and made it what it is. If he had lived longer this also goes for Randy Rhodes he probably would be the best. Jimmy Page is definently a top 3 guitarist to me. He played guitar with a violin bow on "Dazed and Confused", invented finger tapping, used unique tuning techniques he studied from i think Arabian guitarists. Eric Clapton is an all around guitarist great in every aspect of it. But EVH is still a first to me with Jimmy Page a close second.

LOL highly doubt you listened to every song on every album...They have more songs than van halen, led zeppelin, and jimi hendrix combined! They were the biggest band probobly of all time! George Harrison didnt write songs, John Lennon Did. Harrison was a good guitarist man. I guess this is all opinionated but try and not be so one sided, Clapton like you said was all rounded which imo makes him the best

Muck
06-22-2005, 09:01 PM

I voted for Clapton. I saw him in concert a year or two ago and the guy was amazing.

I've seen Clapton as well. He is amazing.

IMO, the thing that seperates Clapton from just about everyone else is that he never has an iffy solo. He comes with a great solo every single time. Other great guitar players.....every now and then they'll give you a solo that leaves something to be desired (I'm talking mostly about live and jam sessions).

Eric Clapton doesn't have these moments. He's money every single time. I love the guy's playing.

Muck
06-22-2005, 09:26 PM
Jimi Hendrix.

You can say he was effects and showmanship. But you gotta admit, it was impressive. Playing with his teeth, behind the back, etc. He created an unprecedented aura that way. And nobody was doing that before. But I think it can be legitimized. For example, who was using feedback before Hendrix?? He actually turned it into something people do ON PURPOSE. :lol: I mean, what rock band/player doesn't use feedback??

I think that persona amplified his great play. Hendrix was a great feel player. He could play the blues in addition to rock. And you could always feel it. Those licks were brash.

As Pagan said, he influenced more players than anyone else. Revolutionized the instrument.

dolfan_101
06-22-2005, 10:04 PM
LOL highly doubt you listened to every song on every album...They have more songs than van halen, led zeppelin, and jimi hendrix combined! They were the biggest band probobly of all time! George Harrison didnt write songs, John Lennon Did. Harrison was a good guitarist man. I guess this is all opinionated but try and not be so one sided, Clapton like you said was all rounded which imo makes him the best

i may have over hyped it but i did atleast listen to 3 songs on every beatles album i had 6 months on this project; so i also listened to the solo albums. And John Lennon was not the only song writer.

Pagan
06-22-2005, 10:16 PM
Hendrix was all effects man, true he did change the way the electric guitar was played but he was all on stage, all a preformance.
Budd...I'll take into consideration your tender years for such a statement. You obviously know nothing about Hendrix. All effects? All he used was a wah pedal. He would take a Strat and a Marshall amp and that was IT. How you came up with "all effects" is amazing, since there wasn't many effects back in the late 60's.

You say he was all effects, but you love EVH...who uses a rack of effects the size of a Volkswagen.

Buddwalk
06-22-2005, 10:30 PM
Budd...I'll take into consideration your tender years for such a statement. You obviously know nothing about Hendrix. All effects? All he used was a wah pedal. He would take a Strat and a Marshall amp and that was IT. How you came up with "all effects" is amazing, since there wasn't many effects back in the late 60's.

You say he was all effects, but you love EVH...who uses a rack of effects the size of a Volkswagen.

Wrong i dont live EVH...Infact im not even really a fan of him

I didnt really mean all efx i meant he was all an act...There are much better guitarists then him as well. Joe Satriani is an amazing guitarist as well

unifiedtheory
06-22-2005, 10:55 PM
I know I'll get panned for this and it is the wrong place to say it but, guitar solo's bore me to death for the most part.

The key to a great band is rythem section. Give me a GREAT drummer/bassist combo everyday of the week over your flashy guitar player.

Reading the thread I notice a heay leaning towards "The Beatles"...I have one word to say about them in my opinion...that word is "yawn".

Having a thread about the greatest guitar player is almost rediculous. There are so many genre's to music that it will never be covered. Everyone has their own personal tastes as well...

Of everyone on the list I personally only listen to Hendrix...he was brilliant (to call him all effects is laughable...IT WAS THE 60'S THERE WERE NO EFFECTS!). I listen to some Sabbath as well (Tony Iommi is the master of the riff) and a little OLD Megadeth (putting Mustaine on this list is hilarious...I can't remember a time when he was even the best guitar player in his band).

Other then that none of the bands that any of the "rock" guitarists played in are my cup o' tea...60's and early 70's "classic" rock just bores me to tears.

Of the "modern" rock guitar players I'd say my faves are Tom Morello (Rage/Audioslave), John Petrucci (Dream Theater), Adam Jones (Tool) and Devin Townsend (Strapping Young Lad)....that is just my opinion though.

Roman529
06-22-2005, 11:09 PM
Here is Rolling Stones complete list......I'll post the Top 30 for you guys:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/5937559?rnd=1119496146691&has-player=true&version=6.0.8.1024

Eddie Van Halen...for what it is worth was ranked #70

Photo by Jill Gibson

The 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time

1Jimi Hendrix
2 Duane Allman of the Allman Brothers Band
3 B.B. King
4 Eric Clapton
5 Robert Johnson
6 Chuck Berry
7 Stevie Ray Vaughan
8 Ry Cooder
9 Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin
10 Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones
11Kirk Hammett of Metallica
12 Kurt Cobain of Nirvana
13 Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead
14 Jeff Beck
15 Carlos Santana
16 Johnny Ramone of the Ramones
17 Jack White of the White Stripes
18 John Frusciante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers
19 Richard Thompson
20 James Burton
21 George Harrison
22 Mike Bloomfield
23 Warren Haynes
24 The Edge of U2
25 Freddy King
26 Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave
27 Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits
28 Stephen Stills
29 Ron Asheton of the Stooges
30 Buddy Guy

DonShula84
06-22-2005, 11:11 PM
The Edge at 24? Seems high for him, I never thought he was that great, although I do like U2.

unifiedtheory
06-22-2005, 11:38 PM
Jack White at #17 makes me wonder about the sanity of the author of this article...I appologize to all fans of the White Stripes when I say this but...they just flat out suck.

finataxia24
06-23-2005, 12:24 AM
hendrix is great that song he did called calling all the devils children
his bootlegs with paul butterfield blues band, &

him playing with bb king

jimi & the band of g.

he played with taj mahal bootleg as well.

him playing with jim morrison & jim is all talking about ****ing some girl in the a$$.
that live bootleg.
he played with some many people. the list really goes on & on
check out the lifelines of jimi hendrix its a boxset.

regarding the rolling stone list
john frusciante is better than jack white imo.

PHINATIC13
06-23-2005, 12:36 AM
I'm a huge Beatles fan,but Harrison and the Beatles would often call on good buddy Eric Clapton to help George out on tracks(George just didn't get) Harrison was an average player IMO.

But people like

Eric Clapton
SRV
Page
Hendrix

Buddwalk
06-23-2005, 01:28 AM
The worst part about the rolling stones list is putting Kurt Cobaine at 12

He was not that good of a guitarist should be around 60th or lower

Muck
06-23-2005, 03:00 AM
Jack White at #17 makes me wonder about the sanity of the author of this article...I appologize to all fans of the White Stripes when I say this but...they just flat out suck.

Johnny Ramone at 16 is even worse.

spydertl79
06-23-2005, 03:33 AM
Hendrix, Clapton, Van Halen

zach13
06-23-2005, 09:53 AM
No one has even mentioned Ry Cooder

Or the Father of all of them (just ask Clapton) - Robert Johnson

themole
06-23-2005, 10:32 AM
No one has even mentioned Ry Cooder

Or the Father of all of them (just ask Clapton) - Robert Johnson

I feel your pain Zach. Of course it is such a subjective question, there have been many greats left out. I guess there is a difference between a guitar picker and a guitar choker. Unplugged, I will put Doc Watson up against any of them. For those of you who really appreciate fine guitar picking I would like to suggest googling "Doc Watson" for an experience with some good ear candy. John Fogerty wasn't mentioned. As I said, it's subjective but I love his *** kicking bluesy style.

Jimi
06-23-2005, 09:00 PM
Anyone wanna take a wild guess who i picked?

zach13
06-24-2005, 04:15 PM
Anyone wanna take a wild guess who i picked?

Jack Black?

rujpett?
06-24-2005, 06:25 PM
Where's Slash? ha ha ha

Jaydog57
06-24-2005, 07:57 PM
Lol, I seem to remember starting a thread like this about 3 years ago. Time does fly.

I don't think there is one certain player that is the best ever. Maybe a personal favorite though. There's so many styles and techniques that it's hard to say who is 'better' than somebody else. You could break it down into groups like 'best rock guitarist' or 'best blues guitarist'. I think that would work better. As for my personal favorite guitarist, it's gotta be

Edward Van Halen:rocker:

themole
06-24-2005, 09:24 PM
Lol, I seem to remember starting a thread like this about 3 years ago. Time does fly.

I don't think there is one certain player that is the best ever. Maybe a personal favorite though. There's so many styles and techniques that it's hard to say who is 'better' than somebody else. You could break it down into groups like 'best rock guitarist' or 'best blues guitarist'. I think that would work better. As for my personal favorite guitarist, it's gotta be

JAYDOG!? Good to see ya again bud. Yes, I remember replying to that thread you mentioned. I agree with what you said to this one also, although I'm partial to the acoustic side and Rock A Billy music.

burton87
06-24-2005, 10:10 PM
Adam Sandler

DolphinDevil28
06-24-2005, 10:28 PM
I can't believe Dave Mustaine is on here and not Kirk Hammet.

Kirk Hammet has to be in the top 10 of all time.

Pagan
06-25-2005, 12:24 AM
Kirk Hammet has to be in the top 10 of all time.
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Sorry bro...that was just TOO funny! :lol:

Buddwalk
06-25-2005, 01:22 AM

Yeah I agree...Hammett abuses the wah padal like a redheaded step child lol

dolfan_101
06-25-2005, 01:57 AM

Awww yes i remeber we both were EVH fans, nice to have some back-up.

dolfan_101
06-25-2005, 01:58 AM
I'm a huge Beatles fan,but Harrison and the Beatles would often call on good buddy Eric Clapton to help George out on tracks(George just didn't get) Harrison was an average player IMO.

Thank You, i am not alone!!!

DolphinDevil28
06-25-2005, 02:29 AM

...Go beat off.

http://edzilla.7h.com/catalog.html
#7.

http://bigbeast.20m.com/custom.html

http://www.mick-mars.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=55&whichpage=2

http://www.expage.com/guitargod

YOU ARE WRONG.

Kirk Hammett RULES.

Dolphin1184
06-25-2005, 04:31 AM

I am wondering, do you have something against Kirk Hammet? Did he do something wrong to you personally? Do you think he is garbage? How about the solos from Fade to Black, One, Damage Inc, Ride the Lighting, etc? It seems like every time his name is even remotely mentioned in a guitar thread you are laughing your *** off and shooting down every opinion with the "wah-wah pedal" argument. There are alot of songs, especially in Metallica's earliest stuff that have awesome guitar solos. Whether you like it or not Kirk IS a good guitarist and should be at least mentioned in a guitarist thread. Is he the best guitarist ever? No.

Pagan
06-25-2005, 07:29 AM
I am wondering, do you have something against Kirk Hammet? Did he do something wrong to you personally? Do you think he is garbage? How about the solos from Fade to Black, One, Damage Inc, Ride the Lighting, etc?
No, he did nothing to me personally. In fact, I used to like him alot....until I started lilstening to other players and realized how basic he really is. You mention those songs, which do have decent solos, and I repeat - decent. But then if you're going to list them you'll have to list bands like Testament, Exodus, Anthrax, Slayer, etc etc and say all their guitarists belong on the list also. Alex Skolnick from Testament absolutely wastes Kirk. He's a far superior player, and more diverse and musically trained. You don't see me bringing his name into this poll though, do ya?

I don't hate Kirk per se, I really just laugh at all the Metallihomers who HAVE to list one of the members of the band in every poll that exist. I've actually seen "best vocalist" polls on the net where jackasses list James. You want to vote him into a "FAVORITE" list, go right ahead, no one begrudges that. But a "GREATEST" list? C'mon man....

Whether you like it or not Kirk IS a good guitarist and should be at least mentioned in a guitarist thread. Is he the best guitarist ever? No.
Exactly...he's a good guitarist, but his name shouldn't be anywhere near a greatest guitarist poll, and that's what this is. GREATEST guitarist. Metallica fans really need to stop being such f*cking homers.

My favorite band of all time is Iron Maiden. Have you ever seen me mention Adrian Smith, Dave Murray or Yanick Gers as one of the greatest guitarists? No. Why? Because they're not, and neither is Kirk. That's just a fact, whether you like it or not.

...Go beat off.
Wow....I'm crushed. Really. :rolleyes:

http://edzilla.7h.com/catalog.html
#7.
Hey, a fan site! Yea...that proves Kirk is #1 alright.

http://bigbeast.20m.com/custom.html
You link to the Kirk Hammett page to prove he's the best? :lol:

http://www.mick-mars.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=55&whichpage=2
The MICK MARS forum??? :roflmao:

How about seeing where he ranks on the C.C. DeVille forum! :lol: Bro, you want to prove he rules, don't link to a forum that worships possibly the worst goddamn guitarist ever to hold a Les Paul.

Here's the rest of that list:

1- MICK MARS
2- SLASH
3- TRACII GUNS
4- JIMI HENDRIX
5- ZAKK WYLDE
6- KIRK HAMMETT
7- STEVE VAI
8- ANDY TAYLOR
9- PRINCE (hehehe...hes good!)
10- ANGUS YOUNG

Oh yea...Tracii Guns is WAY better than Hendrix and Vai. Are you f*cking serious with this? :lol:

http://www.expage.com/guitargod
THEIR list:

Kirk Hammett-Metallica
Dave Mustaine-Megadeth
Mark Tremonti-Creed
Kurt Cobain-Nirvana
Billy Joe Armstrong-Green Day
Jimi Hendrex
Eddie Van Halen-Van Halen

Billy Joe Armstrong and Mark Tremonti? KURT COBAIN? Gotta love this one....here's an actual quote from that page: "Kirk Hammett Is Definatly #1. Best Guitarist EVER! Fastest Soloist EVER!"

Fastest soloist EVER? Yea...Yngwie, John Petrucci, ALL of them are quaking in their boots over Kirk. No one can touch him. PLEASE!

Bro, there's at least 50 prog metal bands over in Europe with guitarists who play faster that Kirk, and playing fast doesn't make you a great guitarist anyway.

YOU ARE WRONG.

Kirk Hammett RULES.
I can almost see you flashing the "devil horns" sign as you say that. ;)

Okay....he rules....whatever. :lol:

If you want to try and prove his "greatness", you're not going to get very far posting links to fan pages and other Metallica homer sites.

Buddwalk
06-25-2005, 08:12 AM
No, he did nothing to me personally. In fact, I used to like him alot....until I started lilstening to other players and realized how basic he really is. You mention those songs, which do have decent solos, and I repeat - decent. But then if you're going to list them you'll have to list bands like Testament, Exodus, Anthrax, Slayer, etc etc and say all their guitarists belong on the list also. Alex Skolnick from Testament absolutely wastes Kirk. He's a far superior player, and more diverse and musically trained. You don't see me bringing his name into this poll though, do ya?

I don't hate Kirk per se, I really just laugh at all the Metallihomers who HAVE to list one of the members of the band in every poll that exist. I've actually seen "best vocalist" polls on the net where jackasses list James. You want to vote him into a "FAVORITE" list, go right ahead, no one begrudges that. But a "GREATEST" list? C'mon man....

Exactly...he's a good guitarist, but his name shouldn't be anywhere near a greatest guitarist poll, and that's what this is. GREATEST guitarist. Metallica fans really need to stop being such f*cking homers.

My favorite band of all time is Iron Maiden. Have you ever seen me mention Adrian Smith, Dave Murray or Yanick Gers as one of the greatest guitarists? No. Why? Because they're not, and neither is Kirk. That's just a fact, whether you like it or not.

How about seeing where he ranks on the C.C. DeVille forum! :lol: Bro, you want to prove he rules, don't link to a forum that worships possibly the worst goddamn guitarist ever to hold a Les Paul.

1- MICK MARS
2- SLASH
3- TRACII GUNS
4- JIMI HENDRIX
5- ZAKK WYLDE
6- KIRK HAMMETT
7- STEVE VAI
8- ANDY TAYLOR
10- ANGUS YOUNG

Oh yea...Tracii Guns is WAY better than Hendrix and Vai. Are you f*cking serious with this? :lol:

THEIR list:

Kirk Hammett-Metallica
Dave Mustaine-Megadeth
Mark Tremonti-Creed
Kurt Cobain-Nirvana
Jimi Hendrex

Billy Joe Armstrong and Mark Tremonti? KURT COBAIN? Gotta love this one....here's an actual quote from that page: "Kirk Hammett Is Definatly #1. Best Guitarist EVER! Fastest Soloist EVER!"

Fastest soloist EVER? Yea...Yngwie, John Petrucci, ALL of them are quaking in their boots over Kirk. No one can touch him. PLEASE!

Bro, there's at least 50 prog metal bands over in Europe with guitarists who play faster that Kirk, and playing fast doesn't make you a great guitarist anyway.

If you want to try and prove his "greatness", you're not going to get very far posting links to fan pages and other Metallica homer sites.

:yes: Dude you've summed up everything i need to say in this whole thread lol niice man! I agree with ya 100% Kirk really isnt a better guitarist than Dave Mustaine though...people just think he is cause Metallica has had more success than Megadeth. But just cause you can rip off some nice solos that doesnt mean your a great guitarist...being great isnt just about solos...its the whole package my friend!

Jaydog57
06-25-2005, 11:34 PM

There are betterLol, spoken like a true teenager who's been around and heard it all. No offense though, I talked online with you and you know your music history pretty good. As far as rock guitar, Eddie took what guys did before him and ran away with it in my opinion. I have stacks of 'Guitar World' magazines back to 1980, and guys you would'nt believe, felt humbled by this guy. Randy Rhoads said he never felt like he could play up to the standards solo wise of Evh, although I think he could. Tony Iommi felt like he was "blowing us off the stage every night" during the '79 tour. He's just so damn creative as far as getting a good sound and effects. For example, on the Pretty Woman intro on 'Diver Down', the song intruders, is played almost entirely with a beer can. Cathredral is another good one off of that album. I still have to tell people somethimes that it's a guitar, not a keyboard. During VH II he had a defused WWII bomb hooked up through his rig to get a different sound. He's very innovative, regardless of whether people think he's an a-hole or not. I have many different bootleg tracks that would blow your mind. Hope to share them with you one day....... :peace:

p.s. thanks again for the avatar and sig, my computer is so dated and dialed up that I'm gonna wait till next week when I upgrade to fix it. :)

first&goal
06-26-2005, 12:31 AM
My top 5 are....Blackmore, Stevie Ray, Satriani, Vai, Page.

Jaydog57
06-26-2005, 12:57 AM
Anybody heard any Leo Kottke? He's been around for about 30 years and plays a 12 string acoustic, amazing stuff. You should check it out. :peace:

dolfan_101
06-26-2005, 03:33 AM
Lol, spoken like a true teenager who's been around and heard it all. No offense though, I talked online with you and you know your music history pretty good. As far as rock guitar, Eddie took what guys did before him and ran away with it in my opinion. I have stacks of 'Guitar World' magazines back to 1980, and guys you would'nt believe, felt humbled by this guy. Randy Rhoads said he never felt like he could play up to the standards solo wise of Evh, although I think he could. Tony Iommi felt like he was "blowing us off the stage every night" during the '79 tour. He's just so damn creative as far as getting a good sound and effects. For example, on the Pretty Woman intro on 'Diver Down', the song intruders, is played almost entirely with a beer can. Cathredral is another good one off of that album. I still have to tell people somethimes that it's a guitar, not a keyboard. During VH II he had a defused WWII bomb hooked up through his rig to get a different sound. He's very innovative, regardless of whether people think he's an a-hole or not. I have many different bootleg tracks that would blow your mind. Hope to share them with you one day....... :peace:

p.s. thanks again for the avatar and sig, my computer is so dated and dialed up that I'm gonna wait till next week when I upgrade to fix it. :)

And to think most of this stuff was done in his garage. I am a huge Van Halen fan!!! I got my first Van Halen CD when i was 7, all the other kids were listening to backstreet boys. Where could i get the bootlegs???

Pagan
06-26-2005, 08:02 AM
I'd be interested in hearing those bootlegs, Jaydog! Make you a deal....trade ya. I have a file of Billy Sheehan jamming with Rush during a soundcheck. ;)

dolfan_101
06-26-2005, 02:29 PM
Didn't Billy Sheehan play bass for David Lee Roth when he went solo????

Jaydog57
06-26-2005, 03:09 PM
Didn't Billy Sheehan play bass for David Lee Roth when he went solo????Yeah, on 'Eat 'em and Smile'. He left after that album I think, and created Mr. Big.
If you go to local cd shops instead of chain stores like Best Buy, you're more likely to find bootleg albums. Also on Ebay. I've got one from '76 covering Edgar Winter to David Bowie that I got in Gainesville, Fl at a music shop on UF campus. Found another one from '95 playing in Amsterdam.

Yeah Pagan, that would be cool. When I updgrade my computer soon, I can download the music and send it to you. :cool:

themole
06-26-2005, 03:26 PM
Yeah, on 'Eat 'em and Smile'. He left after that album I think, and created Mr. Big.
If you go to local cd shops instead of chain stores like Best Buy, you're more likely to find bootleg albums. Also on Ebay. I've got one from '76 covering Edgar Winter to David Bowie that I got in Gainesville, Fl at a music shop on UF campus. Found another one from '95 playing in Amsterdam.

Yeah Pagan, that would be cool. When I updgrade my computer soon, I can download the music and send it to you. :cool:

Used to get all my good stuff at "Strictly Folk" Jaydog. Remember it?

dolfan_101
06-26-2005, 03:47 PM
Yeah, on 'Eat 'em and Smile'. He left after that album I think, and created Mr. Big.

I've got Skyscraper, i think i will need to listen to that.

d-day
06-26-2005, 04:01 PM
Didn't Billy Sheehan play bass for David Lee Roth when he went solo????

actually billy started in a band from... yuck... buffalo... in a kick-*** trio called talas - great band - i'm sure there some old school talas fans out there - my fave was hick town off sink your teeth into that

badmoon84
06-27-2005, 12:37 AM
:D :D The best guitar player is Jimi Hendrix, he was doing amazing stuff back before they had all of the electronic stuff to help todays guitarists to sound better than they actually are. Don't forget about Yngwie Malmsteen, he is an awesome guitarist also.:D :D

d-day
06-27-2005, 12:53 AM
if i could take jimi hendrix or every other guitar player that ever lived combined and i would still pick jimi

finataxia24
06-27-2005, 01:03 AM
if i could take jimi hendrix or every other guitar player that ever lived combined and i would still pick jimi

amen

unifiedtheory
06-27-2005, 11:00 AM

1- MICK MARS
2- SLASH
3- TRACII GUNS
4- JIMI HENDRIX
5- ZAKK WYLDE
6- KIRK HAMMETT
7- STEVE VAI
8- ANDY TAYLOR
10- ANGUS YOUNG

THEIR list:

Kirk Hammett-Metallica
Dave Mustaine-Megadeth
Mark Tremonti-Creed
Kurt Cobain-Nirvana
Jimi Hendrex

Pagan hits the nail right on the head again...Kirk Hammett is just not that good. It's a Metallica thing. Metallica fans think that every member of that band is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Metallica fans are homers...and this is coming from a reformed Metallica fan. I used to love that band....heck I still listen to Puppets quite a bit because it is a brilliant record. The heart of that band was torn out when Cliff Burton was killed. Now they are certified horsesh|t.

Calling Kirk Hammett the Top 10 anything is rediculous. Next thing you know we will be hearing about how great a drummer Lars Ulrich is (he is the most untalented/overrated drummer in the history of music. The guy needs 100 damn takes to record....and then they need to edit it all together to construct one worthwhile performance.)

Hell....I'd argue that Hammett is'nt even the best guitar player in his own band.

As far as that list...Mark Tremonti? WHAT!? Whoever made up that list needs to be smashed in the face for putting that scrub anywhere near anything that cals him good. I won't get into what should happen to him for liking Creed (probably the worst abomonation to ever be called "heavy rock"...they are such a sh|tty band words can not describe).

Buddwalk
06-27-2005, 12:06 PM
Pagan hits the nail right on the head again...Kirk Hammett is just not that good. It's a Metallica thing. Metallica fans think that every member of that band is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Metallica fans are homers...and this is coming from a reformed Metallica fan. I used to love that band....heck I still listen to Puppets quite a bit because it is a brilliant record. The heart of that band was torn out when Cliff Burton was killed. Now they are certified horsesh|t.

Calling Kirk Hammett the Top 10 anything is rediculous. Next thing you know we will be hearing about how great a drummer Lars Ulrich is (he is the most untalented/overrated drummer in the history of music. The guy needs 100 damn takes to record....and then they need to edit it all together to construct one worthwhile performance.)

Hell....I'd argue that Hammett is'nt even the best guitar player in his own band.

As far as that list...Mark Tremonti? WHAT!? Whoever made up that list needs to be smashed in the face for putting that scrub anywhere near anything that cals him good. I won't get into what should happen to him for liking Creed (probably the worst abomonation to ever be called "heavy rock"...they are such a sh|tty band words can not describe).

Haha niice...but i also agree james may actually be a better guitarist then kirk at of right now. Kirk hasnt done anything since the black album basically...Quite Sad Really

Again Eddie isnt that amazing you people have to realize that as a guitar player...personally i love some of his stuff panama and eruption but eruption aint really that hard its just fast...if you break it down playing slower if has no melody just speed

go here and listen to some of his stuff this guy will rip evh a new @ssHole

www.angelo.com (http://www.angelo.com/)