PDA

View Full Version : Is the Sniper Captured?

poornate
10-24-2002, 09:37 AM
Oct. 24 — In a raid on a Maryland rest stop, police on Thursday arrested two men described as “people of interest” in the investigation into the Washington, D.C.-sniper attacks. Law enforcement sources told NBC News’ David Bloom that the two — John Allen Muhammad, 42, and Lee Malvo, 17 — could be charged with first-degree murder later Thursday. Added one source: “The general feeling is we got our guys.”
BLOOM AND NBC’s Pete Williams cited sources as saying the two were tied to the sniper attacks via several leads:
A Tacoma, Wash., home once lived in by Muhammad was searched Wednesday and investigators found bullet fragments as well as a tree stump that had been used as target practice.
A caller to the FBI tip line had bragged that a Montgomery, Ala., shooting in September was tied to the sniper, and Malvo’s fingerprints were reportedly found at that scene.
Malvo’s prints reportedly were also found on a piece of paper at one of the sniper crime scenes.
A Jamaican bank account provided by the person communicating with police was tied to Malvo, said to have been born in Jamaica.
In addition, the Baltimore Sun and Seattle Times reported that investigators had received a tip about Muhammad from a Tacoma-area phone.
A federal source told the Seattle Times that a friend of Muhammad’s and Malvo’s, made the call, saying he “had suspicions” about the pair.
The tipster reportedly said the two sometimes took target practice at the Tacoma home even though it is in the middle of a densely populated neighborhood.
The source added that the tipster said the two fired a rifle that uses .223 caliber bullets, the same as those in the sniper attacks.

HOW MEN WERE TAKEN
The two were taken into custody at 3:19 a.m. ET Thursday after a motorist at a rest stop spotted a car for which police had issued an all points bulletin just three hours earlier.
Advertisement

Police closed off a portion of Interstate 70 near Myersville in Frederick County, Md., while they detained Muhammad and Malvo, who were sleeping in a 1990 Chevrolet Caprice. Police said they were taken into custody without incident.
The men were then taken to Montgomery County, Md., where the sniper investigation is based.
The arrests came amid a flurry of activity in the investigation of the attacks that have killed 10 people and wounded three others since Oct. 2.
Muhammad, who also goes by the name John Allen Williams, is said to be Malvo’s stepfather.
Investigators publicly stressed that Muhammad and Malvo were only being questioned, but law enforcement sources told NBC News that the two could be charged with murder as early as Thursday.

ANTI-AMERICAN SENTIMENT?

October 24 — NBC’s Don Teague explains how the case of a shooting at a liquor store in Montgomery, Ala., may have yielded clues leading to the arrest of two men in relation to the D.C. area shootings.

The break occurred hours after authorities descended on a home in Tacoma, Wash., that was believed to hold clues important to the investigation. They then issued a nationwide alert for the car, spotted by a motorist and an attendant at the rest stop.
The Seattle Times reported Thursday that Muhammad was stationed at Fort Lewis outside Tacoma in the 1980s, served in the Gulf War and was later stationed at Fort Ord, Calif.
Defense sources told NBC that Muhammad had served in the Army for 15 years as a vehicle mechanic.
A neighbor of the Tacoma home said he had heard shots regularly fired from the vicinity last January. “It sounded like a high-powered rifle such as an M-16,” said Pfc. Chris Waters, a Fort Lewis soldier who lives across the street. “Never more than three shots at a time. Pow. Pow. Pow.”
Waters said he called police after hearing gunshots in the neighborhood nearly every day in January.
Malvo, who authorities said is a citizen of Jamaica, attended high school in Bellingham, Wash., last year.

Bellingham School Superintendent Dale Kinsley confirmed that FBI agents visited Bellingham High School Wednesday. “They were there to get information,” he said. Kinsley had no further details.
Several federal sources told the Seattle Times that Muhammad and Malvo may have been motivated by anti-American sentiments in the wake of the Sept. 11 attacks. Both were known to speak sympathetically about the men who hijacked jetliners over Washington, New York and Pennsylvania, the sources said.
But neither man was believed to be associated with the al-Qaida terrorist network, the sources said.
Muhammad had changed his last name from Williams last year and had converted to Islam many years earlier, the sources told the Times.

MESSAGE TO SNIPER

A few hours before the men were taken into custody, Montgomery County Police Chief Charles Moose, speaking as much to the sniper as to the assembled press corps, offered another message to the person believed responsible for the killings.
“We understand you communicated with us by calling several different locations,” Moose said. “Our inability to talk has been a concern for us as it has been for you. You have indicated that you want us to do and say certain things. You asked us to say, ‘We have caught the sniper like a duck in a noose.’ We understand that hearing us say this is important to you."
“However, we want you to know how difficult it has been to understand what you want because you have chosen to use only notes, indirect messages, and calls to other jurisdictions,” Moose continued. “The solution remains to call us and get a private toll-free number established just for you.”
After mentioning the P.O. box opened for communication from the public, Moose said, “If you are reluctant to contact us be assured that we remain ready to talk directly with you. Our word is our bond.”

EVENTS IN MARYLAND
Earlier Wednesday, sniper investigators assessed a new note that reportedly repeated an earlier demand for $10 million and issued a plea for any illegal immigrants who might have seen Tuesday’s fatal shooting to come forward. That plea came with a promise from U.S. immigration officials not to deport any illegal immigrants with information on the sniper.
Meanwhile, ballistics evidence connected Tuesday’s shooting of a bus driver in Maryland to the fatal shootings of nine other people and the wounding of three in the D.C. area.

Man I hope this is it.

RobertHoover
10-24-2002, 09:51 AM
You and me both poornate. Everything I heard all night points to these two being the guys.

poornate
10-24-2002, 09:54 AM
I knew that you'd be happy to hear about this. I've been in a vaccum I guess. I just heard about it. To be honest, I'm suprised my fiance didn't wake me up when it came on. I hope this is the guys.

3W
10-24-2002, 10:02 AM
I hope it is him also Bro. It has to be very nerve wracking to say the least to be living anywheres within that state with that going on.

RobertHoover
10-24-2002, 10:04 AM
I woke up at 2am to take my dog out and my wife was sitting on the end of the bed watching the news coverage. I more or less watched from there.

I called my sister this morning and she seems relieved although like all of you she's waiting for confirmation.

poornate
10-24-2002, 10:06 AM
It has been rough down here. All our friends have been just carrying on. I've seen people wearing bullet proof vests pumping their gas. it is hard to just walk around the city and not think about it.

Capt. Dick
10-24-2002, 11:25 AM
I just saw the great news....fell asleep about 3 am. Here`s hopin`!!

poornate
10-24-2002, 12:45 PM
This has got to be the guy.

Capt. Dick
10-24-2002, 12:48 PM
How long are the ballistic tests supposed to take?

MarinoFan
10-24-2002, 12:49 PM
Hope it's them for God's sake. Also, thank God they wanted to be caught, cause it seemed they would never stop or be caught.

poornate
10-24-2002, 01:02 PM
They just made it official! NO MORE SNIPER!!!!!!

MarinoFan
10-24-2002, 01:57 PM
WOOO HOOOO!!!!!!!!!!