PDA

View Full Version : Question?

poornate
10-27-2002, 09:08 PM
This may be a dumb question but I'm not sure of the answer. If a QB can spike the ball to stop the clock because he is throwing to an eligible reciever when the ball goes towards him then why can't they spike the ball when they take the snap and fall under pressure instead of having to throw it away? Wouldn't it still be an incomplete pass?:confused:

SoFL-Cheesehead
10-28-2002, 01:44 AM
Spiking the Ball to stop the clock only works in the last 2 minutes of the half or the game!! Any other time the pass has to be within 5 yeards of the receiver, out of bounds, or the QB has to be out of the tackle box. The tackle box to the area between the 2 offensive tackles.

poornate
10-28-2002, 10:06 AM
I know this man. What I'm saying is why can't the QB spike the ball at his feet. It would still be within 5 yards of an eligible reciever.

poornate
10-28-2002, 10:36 AM
Somebody should know this. Help me out here people.

harmonkoz
10-28-2002, 10:38 AM
You got me Nate. :confused: It's a good question.

poornate
10-28-2002, 10:48 AM
It stumped the sh*t out of me yesterday when someone asked me. I work for a former NFL player. I guess I'll just have to ask him at work. (probably won't know)

harmonkoz
10-28-2002, 10:52 AM
You should post this in the main forum, you might get some more hits there.

SoFL-Cheesehead
10-28-2002, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by poornate
I know this man. What I'm saying is why can't the QB spike the ball at his feet. It would still be within 5 yards of an eligible reciever.

In the last 2 minutes of the half and game, THAT IS what the QBs do!! Watch them next week, you will see the QB throw the ball at their feet inside the last 2 minutes ONLY!!!

Any other time, that will be flagged! Other than the last 2 minutes the ball has to within 5 yards or out of bounds.

poornate
10-29-2002, 04:15 PM
I mean after dropping back or rolling out. READ the ?