Things You Need To Get Started
-------------------------------------
1. FF magazines. Get a handful....
2. Notebook
3. Pen / Highligher pens
-------------------------------------

Getting Started
------------------

Make a depth chart for each team. QB's / RB's / WR's - Use the highligher pens to rank the players in terms of who's the #1, #2, and #3 RB's and WR's. That way you know who's getting the most playing time on the field on a weekly basis...

This is a very important process, and is a key to having a deep roster after draft day is over and done. Last year, I did all my drafting to perfection, and needed NO FA pickups during the season based on my depth at the skill positions.....

Luck can come into play as well, but doing your homework based on each teams depth chart will prevent you from scrambling if one of your starters goes down.....

Step One - QB's
--------------------

In my particular FF league, QB's aren't the most important piece to your overall point production. I always pass on the elite QB's early. Once guys like Manning / Culpepper / McNabb are gone, there's no need to get worried about filling the QB position with a stud. You can find a solid starter later when you've done the homework....

I took a risk a couple of years back on Manning with my 2nd rounder, and ended missing out on other key positions because of it. BIG MISTAKE.

There are many very consistant QB's in the NFL, and the key to finding one is looking at the offense as a whole. Believe it or not, another very critical component is how poor that team's defense is. The teams with the worst defenses, are usually the ones who have QB's on offense that will be slinging the ball the most{playing catch up instead of grinding it out}.

The WR core is also a very good indicator of finding quality FF QBing. Never, I repeat never make a pick at QB based on the terms "I like the guy" or "he's on my favorite team". Remember, the key to FF is point production, it's not a popularity contest.....

I wait on drafting my starting QB, and for instance in 2004 I took QB J. Delhomme in the 6-7 round after filling my "more important" positions first. There are 32 starting QB's in this league, so there's plenty of production coming from every team's QB regardless of how popular he is by name. Name means nothing in FF, points do....

Sleepers like QB D. Carr / C. Palmer / J. Delhomme / B. Griese / K. Collins / even T. Brady can usually be had later in the draft after all of the "big name QB's" are gone. And you know what, when it's all said and done, they're almost just as productive too....

My advice, wait for a QB. You'll be much happier in the end when your roster is deep at all of the other, more crucial point production positions like RB / WR....
=================================

Step Two - RB's
-------------------

RB's are the key to every winning FF team. BAR NONE.

The reason for this is the amount of quality RB's are few and far between when it comes to FF drafting. They're gone in the blink of an eye in most leagues, and the longer you wait, the less chance you have at landing a double stud RB core....

You have to ask yourself, "Do I want one stud RB / and one stud QB"{RB round one / QB/WR round 2}. "Or do I want two stud RB's / and one average QB"{Two stud RB's in rounds 1&2 / one average QB in later rounds}....

ANSWER - YOU WANT TWO STUD RB'S. Here's why....

Stud RB's are FF machines. I drafted RB S. Alexander in round one, and in round two I drafted RB C. Dillon. You talk about production???....My RB's were both among the NFL's top 5 once the season was over. DOMINATION best described my RB core in 2004....

One key factor to finding two stud RB's is looking at the OL's the play behind. Also, look at the overall yardage they produce not only running, but recieving as well. A dual threat{running / recieving}RB is not a must, but it can help alot if the elite bruisers are all gone by the time your making your second pick...

Please note : The rookie class in 2005 has some very impressive youngsters this year. Not really 1st or 2nd round worthy, but as a #1 depth player{round 3-4} at RB, guys like Brown / Williams / Benson / or even JJ Arrington could come up big when your starters are sitting during the bye. Don't be afraid to pull the trigger on one of them if no other "proven" RB's are available....

Another thing to remember at RB. YOU WANT STARTERS. Teams that use the "revolving door" at RB like Pittsburgh / Minnesota / Philadelphia / and and Atlanta are not going to be as prodcutive as the teams who have one bonafide starting RB. You want your RB's getting as many carries as possible, and sharing carries dips into overall point production.....

GOT IT???....Draft two stud RB's with your first two picks!!!

Trust me on this one, you wont regret it in the least. And don't panic if it looks like a reach even when the WR position looks stacked with elite options at the same spot. One thing I've learned about RB's, is that you can never have too many. They get injured much easier too, so you want to make sure any injury at RB isn't deadly to your FF team...

The WR position is the deepest of all positions, so passing on say WR's T. Holt / or C. Johnson early in round two in order to land say RB D. Davis instead, can't hurt you at all in the overall picture. When those other guys in your league are scrambling to find a decent #2 RB, because they passed on the RB position to take an elite WR in round two, you'll be sitting pretty after it's all said and done. They may grab that elite WR in round two you wanted, but they wont have any consistancy at RB when it's all over. You want to be in total control from the first pick in the draft, and not have to worry about shifting stratgies based on what someone else is doing. Worry about your picks, not his.....

Make sure you study the RB depth charts very well. Don't take a RB who splits carries over one who is the legit starter even if you think the "splitter RB" has more talent. Playing time, and carries are most important here. A RB like S. Jackson has M. Faulk digging into his production too much to warrant a high ranking. It's safer taking the lesser known RB who is getting all the work, than the RB who has a guy pushing him for carries IMO....

=========================

Step Three - WR's
----------------------

Some guys like to have three stud WR's, but the only way to usually do that, is to pass on the quality RB's in the process. You can have guys like T. Owens / and C. Johnson, but if your RB's are weak, it wont make any difference. Don't go for the studs early. This is another position you can afford to wait on until your RB's are set....

I had WR's D. Jackson / P. Burress / D. Stallworth / M. Muhammad / and J. McCarriens in 2004. Those guys were more than enough to carry my WR position. Once again, the key is the depth chart....

Make a list of every single WR who gets playing time, from the #1all the way to the #3-4 WR's on each NFL team. You're top 32 WR's on that list should consist of the #1 WR on each team in the NFL. Then move on down the line accordingly at #2 / #3-#4. Use the highlighter pens to color coordinate them. That will help you determine who has better value....

WR THE DEEPEST FF POSITION THERE IS. That means there is much more room for error, and much more room for sleepers to emerge. For instance, WR K. Colbert will be taking Muhammad's role in Carolina, and in most leagues he wont be taken early, so keep an eye on him. There's also WR N. Beurleson in Minnesota, and his value will sky-rocket this year replacing Moss. He could be available in the 3rd too. Guys like those two are plentiful, and they'll be there in the early/mid-rounds....

I can't get over how much impressive depth there is at WR when it comes to FF. The second tier of WR's are easily capable of being as equally productive as most elite ones are. You should never panic when drafting your WR's, there's too much talnet out there to get nervous.....

I can't stress enough how important depth charts are when drafting at WR. You study them carefully, and hard, and if you're lucky even you're 3rd drafted WR could end up being a FF super star once the season is over....

When drafting your depth at WR{#3-#4 position}, look for the poor defenses again. You want your depth WR's playing for teams who like to / or are pressured to throw the ball....

It doens't even matter if the guy plays for a team like Arizona, he's making catches and scoring points just like anyone playing for say Indianapolis, where there are so many quality WR's wanting a piece, it can bog them down in terms of FF production....

I'm not saying you should pass on a guy like WR B. Stokely, he's a productive FF WR, but if a guy like the Cards WR L. Fitzgerald is there at the same pick, he's the #2 where as Stokely is the #3 in Indy. See my point????...Fitzgarald will get more balls thrown his direction over the course of a 60 minute game than Stokely will....

Step Four - PK's

Kickers are taken last. Find the the team with the worst redzone offense, and take their kicker. So many guys reach for that elite offense kicker, and end up looking stupid because the kicker is taking more extra point attempts than actual field goal attempts. Don't be mislead at the kicker position. Thy're all basically the same IMO. Take your kickers with your last two picks....

Step Five - DEFENSE
--------------------------

The old saying "defense can win you championships" is true to a certain extent in FF. I was lucky enough to grab Buffalo's defense very late in 2004. I waited to pick them after all of my starting / depth positions were filled. Like around rounds 9-10. I was shocked they were still there at the time, but in most leagues where you have smart FF opponents, they'll be a sleeper defense or two that drops because everyone drafting is focused elsewhere. The guy who took the Baltimore Ravens D in round 4-5 is still trying to grab scrubs for depth at RB or WR by the time round 9-10 come around....

So which FF coach do you want to be???....The guy who has his depth already set, and can grab one of those sleeper D's in 9-10??? Or the guy who has his D set in stone by {round 4-5-6}, but is having trouble rounding out his depth chart at the skill positions????...

YOU WANT TO BE THE GUY WHO HAS HIS DEPTH TAKEN CARE OF, AND CAN SEARCH FOR THAT SLEEPER D.....

Defenses are also strange. One week they can go off, and the next they can stink. That's why there is no HUGE reason to reach for a defense in the earlier rounds. All defenses produce turnovers, and all defenses allow points, so which is the right way to look at it???....

I take a defense, not always according to ranking, but one that plays a full 60 minutes every week. Teams like Houston / Jacksonville / NY Jets / San Diego all have a very high motor defenses. They create turnovers and play with a smashmouth type of mentality. They are the kind of sleeper defenses I'm talking about.....

You can reach for that prime defense if you choose, but you'll only be hurting yourself at the other skill positions in the long run. Look at what is available to you once you've filled your skill positions RB / WR / QB, and then go after defense. IMO, there is no such thing as a FF defense that sucks. They all have their good and bad games regardless of FF ranking....
=============================

Draft Order Recap
----------------------

ROUND ONE - RB

ROUND TWO - RB

ROUND THREE - WR / back-up RB - Depending on how your chart is shaping up. It's wise to go ahead and take a WR here, but if there is still a quality starting RB out there in the 3rd you should grab him. Remember, the depth at WR is incredible so don't panic. There are tons of solid WR's to go around....

ROUND FOUR - Back-up RB / WR - Same as above but opposite priority. If you didn't take that back-up RB in round three, take him here. Then you're basically done at RB and can focus the rest of the way on WR's ect....

ROUND FIVE - WR

ROUND SIX - WR / QB - Again, make this decision based on how you feel about your upper picks, and what you have / have not addressed yet....

ROUND SEVEN - QB / WR

BEYOND - BENCH / BACK-UPS / SLEEPER ROUNDS

By now, you're starting team should be pretty much set. This is where you're hard studying will pay off the most. You'll have incredible insight to players most of your opponents have no knowledge of. I call these the SLEEPER ROUNDS, and that's where I come out smelling like a rose every year....

Study, prepare, and worry about YOUR TEAM. When you get too caught up into what the other guys are doing, it can tend to cause panic when it's your turn on the clock. Make them be the one's who are worrying about you. Intimidation is also part of the drafting process, so stay focused on what is at hand, and don't flinch. Have your pick ready, know what you want / need when it's your pick, and most importantly, be confident in that pick.....

Good Luck To All Of You....And Happy Hunting!!!!

PHINZ RULE!!!!

ScottishFin
07-18-2005, 06:06 AM
sod that get drunk and pick whoever you recognise while chatting to your other owners in the chat box , well thats wot i did on saturday and i think my draft turned out not too bad :D

Good post though I will send my m8 to take a look at it as hes a total FF n00b

dolfan_101
07-19-2005, 02:56 AM
Thanks for thinfo, i am playing FF for the first time, i have the 5th pick and there are 12 picks in a round. THe way the draft works is that it goes to 12, then that person gets to pick again and then it goes back down. I am not sure who to pick. Any suggestions on the best person i can pick.

Boone
07-19-2005, 10:53 AM
Any suggestions on the best person i can pick.
Draft Tim Brown....I think he's going to have a breakout year.... :evil: