PDA

View Full Version : Salary help!

Uncle Rico II
07-25-2005, 07:40 PM
I need help fin bruthas and sistas! I have been offered a job, the pay is 49,800 my asking range was between 55-60. Obviously they came up a little short and I've never negotiated a job offer. Any ideas on how to approach this? I'm leaving the military and have never had to do this. I did 2 interviews and they sent the offer package in the mail. This has been my only offer and don't want to blow it either. thanks guys

Slappy8800
07-25-2005, 08:58 PM
i say if its the only offer ya have gotten take it...shoot the job market sucks!

Uncle Rico II
07-25-2005, 09:25 PM
I'm going to take it since I need a job. I was just seein if anyone had tips on going about getting my "value". They knew my window before and I think they are just trying to lowball me to see if I take it. If I get my desired salary I'd be happy with them, but with the current number I'll just work there until i find something better.

byroan
07-25-2005, 09:26 PM
Off topic, you never got your other username back?

Uncle Rico II
07-25-2005, 09:34 PM
No I guess I'm stuck as Junior. No big deal

Philter25
07-25-2005, 10:13 PM
I need help fin bruthas and sistas! I have been offered a job, the pay is 49,800 my asking range was between 55-60. Obviously they came up a little short and I've never negotiated a job offer. Any ideas on how to approach this? I'm leaving the military and have never had to do this. I did 2 interviews and they sent the offer package in the mail. This has been my only offer and don't want to blow it either. thanks guys

Well first, what do you do, what is (if you have one) your degree in, is this your first job, any experience, and what IS the job?

Depending on those, you might have no negotiating power at all....

Uncle Rico II
07-25-2005, 11:03 PM
Well first, what do you do, what is (if you have one) your degree in, is this your first job, any experience, and what IS the job?

Depending on those, you might have no negotiating power at all....

It's with a leading defense contractor, it's a technical career doing the same thing I did in the military for 8 years. So I'm not fresh outta college and every requirement for the job I can fill. Including the security clearance which is difficult, time consuming, and expensive to get. I would even be working the shift I really wanted to avoid, so I guess that from my stand point I'll work the goofy shift but they offer me less than what I want, bull! So to answer your qustion I should have alot of negotiating power, I just want to find a job before my military career is complete next month. I would think this is a standard tactic for the HR departments, but I could be wrong.

UltraDol-Fan
07-26-2005, 09:43 AM
Shoot, I would take the job and say you'll take that money if you get a signing bonus or some extra vacation days or something.

ILPhinFan88
07-26-2005, 10:12 AM
Also certain benefits are just as good as salary, I went from a job where my Insurance was paid 100% to one that was not as good. My salary was more but the first year I lost money beacuse of the Insurance.

Philter25
07-26-2005, 10:45 AM
It's with a leading defense contractor, it's a technical career doing the same thing I did in the military for 8 years. So I'm not fresh outta college and every requirement for the job I can fill. Including the security clearance which is difficult, time consuming, and expensive to get. I would even be working the shift I really wanted to avoid, so I guess that from my stand point I'll work the goofy shift but they offer me less than what I want, bull! So to answer your qustion I should have alot of negotiating power, I just want to find a job before my military career is complete next month. I would think this is a standard tactic for the HR departments, but I could be wrong.

Well based on your past, I would try to negotiate up higher and yes, the HR department is usually who you go through. Since you have experience and have done the type of work before, then you do have negotiating power. One thing you might want to ask would be a signing bonus or else relocation money. That could easily add up to 5k and therefore accomodate your asking price. I would politely contact the HR department and start to negotiate with them and see if they can meet your salary. If they say that they cant, ask about a signing bonus or relocation money so you guys could meet at a happy medium. Also, do you get any guarantee for raises or benefits?

I took a job with the government right out of college. I had 4 offers. The gov was 40k and the other 3 were in the mid 50ks. I took the gov job because my guaranteed raises over the GS payscale would have me making more money with the gov over a 5 year period rather than getting 5% increases in the private industry. Plus my benefits were 100x better with the government and I dont work a minute over 40 hours a week.

You need to weigh in all the possible factors before making a decision.

Phinnhedd
07-26-2005, 12:32 PM

usually in the negotiation process you give them a high figure, they lowball you and you meet somewhere in the middle. personally i think you should have asked for more to start with, that way when they low ball you, the figure they send you is a little easier to take.