PDA

View Full Version : Need Help On Adding Weight

Prime
07-25-2005, 09:01 PM
I am sick of being a little dude. I eat like a horse, but i still can't gain any weight. I am 5'8 1/2 and weight about 120. I want to add me muscal, but of course i have to have some fat to do that. Does anybody know what i can do to gain alot of weight?

Terror
07-25-2005, 09:07 PM
well im 5'9 and im 145, and I wrestled this last winter. Drink a crap load of water. Everychance you see a bubbler, drink from it. Have a lot of meals a day, not like a few big meals. Have a lot of protein so when you lift, it goes towards muscle building. And make sure you eat within 30 mins of working out, a health tip.

NaboCane
07-25-2005, 09:10 PM
Don't stress so much dude; you're 16, and your body will fill out in its own time. in the meantime, work out hard - but smart - with free weights and resistance machines, eat balanced, healthy meals, and take vitamins. You're going to be fine, you'll see in about two years or so.

One thing that makes more of a difference than anyone will tell you is genetics; do you have long muscles, or short? because if you have long muscles, you'll have to work harder to get results. But if you have shorter muscles, you can get the benefits of weight training more readily - but chances are you'll never be a competitive bodybuilder or anything like that. I know you didn't say that was your goal, but just to give some perspective on how body type affects results.

Uncle Rico II
07-25-2005, 09:11 PM
well im 5'9 and im 145, and I wrestled this last winter. Drink a crap load of water. Everychance you see a bubbler, drink from it. Have a lot of meals a day, not like a few big meals. Have a lot of protein so when you lift, it goes towards muscle building. And make sure you eat within 30 mins of working out, a health tip.

bubbler? I thought my wife made that word up. For all ya'll southern folk it's a water fountain. :)

Prime
07-25-2005, 09:12 PM
Don't stress so much dude; you're 16, and your body will fill out in its own time. in the meantime, work out hard - but smart - with free weights and resistance machines, eat balanced, healthy meals, and take vitamins. You're going to be fine, you'll see in about two years or so.

One thing that makes more of a difference than anyone will tell you is genetics; do you have long muscles, or short? because if you have long muscles, you'll have to work harder to get results. But if you have shorter muscles, you can get the benefits of weight training more readily - but chances are you'll never be a competitive bodybuilder or anything like that. I know you didn't say that was your goal, but just to give some perspective on how body type affects results.

Well my arms and legs are kind of long, but they sure aint short.

Terror
07-25-2005, 09:13 PM
And about what Nabocane said about smart weight lifting, rememebr dont lift a lot of heavy weights, thats not healthy. Its better to do more reps of lighter weights, thats my take on it from what I have learned from karate and wrestling.

Jt0323
I am sick of being a little dude. I eat like a horse, but i still can't gain any weight. I am 5'8 1/2 and weight about 120. I want to add me muscal, but of course i have to have some fat to do that. Does anybody know what i can do to gain alot of weight?

i had a drink i used to drink so i could gain weight... its powered mixed w/ ice cream to make a shake...the after i gained weight i went to the gym...ill try and find the name of it later

Terror
bubbler? I thought my wife made that word up. For all ya'll southern folk it's a water fountain. :)

Haha, I guess its a Rhode Island thing.

NaboCane
07-25-2005, 09:16 PM
Well my arms and legs are kind of long, but they sure aint short.

What I mean is, are you considered "lanky?" Or "stocky?"

Why don't you try working a few sessions with a good professional trainer - emphasis on GOOD, not the vain schmucks that populate most health clubs - it might help you establish body type, best workout for you, nutrition, etc.

You also might consider seeing a sports nutritionist for specific types of foods that benefit you based on what you like.

NaboCane
07-25-2005, 09:17 PM
And about what Nabocane said about smart weight lifting, rememebr dont lift a lot of heavy weights, thats not healthy. Its better to do more reps of lighter weights, thats my take on it from what I have learned from karate and wrestling.

That's right.

Zeke0123
07-25-2005, 09:17 PM
Unfortunatly you are fighting your metabolism right now its going to be hard to gain weight until you hit late teens early 20s.... If you are trying to gain weight train for strength IE Low reps High weight.. keep your workouts SHORT and intense give yourself good recovery time...DO NOT over eat it just makes for larger bowel movements and Fat gain not the type of weight you are looking for.

Zeke0123
07-25-2005, 09:23 PM
What the above gentlemen have stated is the much safer way of gaining weight...Im not going to argue the point of which has better results there is a lot of literature out there just find what works for you :D

Prime
07-25-2005, 09:24 PM
Unfortunatly you are fighting your metabolism right now its going to be hard to gain weight until you hit late teens early 20s.... If you are trying to gain weight train for strength IE Low reps High weight.. keep your workouts SHORT and intense give yourself good recovery time...DO NOT over eat it just makes for larger bowel movements and Fat gain not the type of weight you are looking for.

Yes i have a very fast metabolism. it runs in the family, but when i hit about 20, that is when my metabolism will slow down alot.

Prime
07-25-2005, 09:25 PM
What I mean is, are you considered "lanky?" Or "stocky?"

Why don't you try working a few sessions with a good professional trainer - emphasis on GOOD, not the vain schmucks that populate most health clubs - it might help you establish body type, best workout for you, nutrition, etc.

You also might consider seeing a sports nutritionist for specific types of foods that benefit you based on what you like.

I am like a big toothpick, so i guess i would say that i am tall and skinny.

Terror
07-25-2005, 09:34 PM
Just want to wish you good luck with this, just rememebr that it takes time.

NaboCane
07-25-2005, 09:36 PM
I am like a big toothpick, so i guess i would say that i am tall and skinny.

Then more than likely, you'll have to be diligent about working out in order to get results; you'd have to be, either way, but with longer muscles, the payoff takes more work. The upside is that lonegr muscles are preferable from an aesthetic standpoint. Think in terms of the difference between Schwarzenneger and, say, Franco Columbu.

Long:
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2005/07/m1800kz-1.jpg

Short:
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

MillerTime
07-25-2005, 09:56 PM
Here are some tips, im 17, only one year older then you, and I have been lifting for 3 years.....

To get big, you have to lift big. Go for low reps and more weight and lift heavy.

Get AT LEAST 1 gram of protein per pound per day, so in your case, you should be getting AT LEAST 120 grams of protein per day. I would suggest taking protein shakes.

Eat! Eat good, healthy meals that are high in protien(chicken, eggs, etc..)

Rest. Muscles grow when you are resting. Wait 5-7 days before working a certain muscle again, for example, if you do your chest workout on monday, dont do it again until saturday.

You need sleep. Getting enough sleep is very important if you want to gain muscle.

Be patient and stick with it and you should see results. Good luck!

cnc66
07-25-2005, 10:15 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

NaboCane
07-25-2005, 10:37 PM
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:C9RSNqqsW8MJ:www.gage.com/partners/images

:lol:

Doktor Ivel
07-25-2005, 10:42 PM
water makes you lose weight, not gain it. ;)

eat high protien foods. Get protien shakes.

i'm 15 years old at-
6'
150lbs.
i hope to be 6'4'' 230 by the time i'm in my 20s

It'll Happen11
07-25-2005, 10:46 PM
theres not much of a science to it, Eat 4-5 high protein meals a day and lift weights...if that doesnt work then your body just isnt meant to be "big".

Slappy8800
07-26-2005, 12:24 AM
chocolate milk and pepsi.....youllgain a ton of weight :)

RWhitney014
07-26-2005, 12:52 AM
Here are some tips, im 17, only one year older then you, and I have been lifting for 3 years.....

To get big, you have to lift big. Go for low reps and more weight and lift heavy.

Get AT LEAST 1 gram of protein per pound per day, so in your case, you should be getting AT LEAST 120 grams of protein per day. I would suggest taking protein shakes.

Eat! Eat good, healthy meals that are high in protien(chicken, eggs, etc..)

Rest. Muscles grow when you are resting. Wait 5-7 days before working a certain muscle again, for example, if you do your chest workout on monday, dont do it again until saturday.

You need sleep. Getting enough sleep is very important if you want to gain muscle.

Be patient and stick with it and you should see results. Good luck!

You don't want to lift too much, because in the long run, you're going to hurt yourself, and badly. I don't remember his name, but there was this hotshot pitching prospect a couple of years ago out of high school. His father thought that the bigger he was, the harder he would throw. So the kid lifted and lifted and got huge. Eventually, he lifted so much that, while running some laps, both of his hamstrings popped at almost the same time. They just couldn't handle it. You don't want that to happen.

Also, if you have a fast metabolism (which I wish I had, believe me...mine's like a turtle), you don't want to eat too much. Otherwise, it's just going to burn off more and you'll lose weight as opposed to gaining it. And don't fill up on saturated fats and cholesterol. Your body won't appreciate it when it's 40.

byroan
07-26-2005, 01:35 AM
if that doesnt work then your body just isnt meant to be "big".

That's me right there. :cry:

dolfan_101
07-26-2005, 01:38 AM
I have the same problem man!!! I am 5'10 120 and i am trying ot get big for football. The coach says i need to just gain wieght, but i want to gain muscle mass.