PDA

View Full Version : My new gaming rig.

SirDrums
07-27-2005, 04:36 PM
After my PC died last year I was finally fed up with them. I took the pc apart and put it my closet. It sat there for over a year.

I can finally now say that I am over being burnt out and have put to gether a new rig. Here are my specs:

Mother board: Asus AX8N-E
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice Core (939 socket)
Ram: 1 gb Corsair PC3200 Dual Channel DDR
Vid Card: MSI ATI Radeon X800 XL PCI-e
Sound: Sound Blaster Audigy 2
OS Win XP

Finished it about a week ago. Has been very stable so far even with default drivers. I am having internet installed at the house Friday. Looking forward to playing online again.

I have played Rome: Total War and C&C Generals on it so far and its has yawned at both.

After I have the I-net installed I'll look into HL2 and BF2. Maybe I'll see some of you on-line. Heck, with the I-net I can even hook up the X-box.

nevadadolfan
07-27-2005, 06:51 PM
Sounds Sweet, My next machine will have to be a 64 bit as well, seems to be the way to go. I rememeber when not to long ago 1 GB of RAM would have cost you over 1 Thousand dollars!!!

kastofsna120
07-27-2005, 09:00 PM
looks decent, but the PCI ATI card and only a gig of ram seems a bit timid

SirDrums
07-28-2005, 10:43 AM
its pci-e. not pci. Its not timid, its where there next gen of video card are going. I may need to up the RAM after a bit though.

Its not top end but is built to be upgraded with the newest tech without having to gut it.

Buddwalk
07-28-2005, 11:05 AM
good deal man my graphics card yawns at half life 2 pshh :D

Pagan
07-28-2005, 11:24 AM
Nice setup bro! I'm thinking of getting myself an Alienware. Anyone heard good or bad about them?

SirDrums
07-28-2005, 11:28 AM
alienware have a good rep but be ready to pay for it.

mor911
07-28-2005, 11:37 AM
My roommate has one, and it is awazing. If you got the loot, I highly recommend it.

Buddwalk
07-28-2005, 01:18 PM
Nice setup bro! I'm thinking of getting myself an Alienware. Anyone heard good ro bad about them?
lets see i pay about $1800 for my dell gaming machine

my friend paid 3 grand for his alienware...turns out mine every single aspect tops his, im sorry alienwares are just a name though if you want a gaming machine pagan get a fragbox

byroan
07-28-2005, 04:00 PM
I'm upgrading my ram next month from 1gb pc2700 to 4gb pc3200 :)

Pagan
07-28-2005, 05:43 PM
lets see i pay about $1800 for my dell gaming machine

my friend paid 3 grand for his alienware...turns out mine every single aspect tops his, im sorry alienwares are just a name though if you want a gaming machine pagan get a fragbox
Hate to inform you bro...but Dell's just a name too. What until you try to get customer service and Mahatma Ghandi gives you the runaround.

You'll see what I mean. ;)

spydertl79
08-01-2005, 01:44 PM
:lol:
Hate to inform you bro...but Dell's just a name too. What until you try to get customer service and Mahatma Ghandi gives you the runaround.

unifiedtheory
08-01-2005, 01:58 PM

DUDE!!!!!!!!:roflmao::rofl4::tongue2::roflmao::lolcry::rofl4:

byroan
08-01-2005, 07:30 PM

:rofl3: I remember when I was new to computers and we had an HP computer. I never should have called the help line. :nono:

SirDrums
08-01-2005, 09:49 PM
I have called a help line a few times. what is the most fustrating is when you have to call back several times for the same issue but you never get to speak to the same person, so they end up having you go thru the same steps over and over!

1. is your pc on?
2. do you have they latest drivers?
3. are you left handed or right?
4. is your hard drive feeling floppy?
etc etc...

Buddwalk
08-01-2005, 09:51 PM

sorry man i already called them i got some japanese woman and i was like wtf are you talking bout...anyway its not that bad and there really friendly

Phin-o-rama
08-01-2005, 11:00 PM
IMO dell's customer service is not as bad as the reputation they have.....granted you usually end up talking to "paul" whose real name is something like muhatma lol

dell...alienware....there both pre-fab systems....you will be much happier going through the experience of building your own pc which you can do for MUCH cheaper, plus you gain alot of knowledge and know-how in the process......

this leads to being able to troubleshoot your stuff at least a little bit....granted when you build your own there really is no customer support unless you know where your problem is you could call that piece of hardware's company.

alienware makes some nice rigs...but they are truly overpriced....i used to be drawn to the look of their cases but honestly if you look on newegg.com or many other sites they have some badass cases that blow alienware away....antec, lian li, coolermaster makes awesome cases.

start researching different parts and whatnot...i have a similar cpu/mob that the OP has and its a great core for a system.....if you want to not worry about building and the fear of no customer support i have built up an appreciation for dells....but dont just call up and buy....dell is constantly offering internet deals that really are outstanding..... check www.slickdeals.net often and you'll see what i mean...