PDA

View Full Version : What's the album/song that made you a 'music person'?

Jaydog57
07-29-2005, 10:53 PM
Just wondering what album or song made you become a big fan of music, if you are one. A title that made you want to play an instrument or make music your life. For me it was Van Halen's, 'Women and Children First'. I heard "Everybody Wants Some" at 12 years old and I've been broke ever since. :lol:

GreenMonster
07-29-2005, 10:55 PM
Guns and Roses.... Appetite for Destruction. Still one of fav. albums..

Jaydog57
07-29-2005, 11:01 PM
Guns and Roses.... Appetite for Destruction. Still one of fav. albums..:rocker: that is one of my favorite albums of all time, it's still great after almost 20 years. :cool:

GreenMonster
07-29-2005, 11:09 PM
:rocker: that is one of my favorite albums of all time, it's still great after almost 20 years. :cool:

Like Guns or not but you can't deny all of the hits on this album. If I had to only pick one album to take on an island this would be it.

AirFishOne
07-29-2005, 11:13 PM
Metallica-...And Justice For All

From what my mom tells me that wa sthe first ever album I listned to she said I used to air-guitar on One. This is what got me into Metallica and Ive been oyal ever since.

Jaydog57
07-29-2005, 11:20 PM
Metallica-...And Justice For All

From what my mom tells me that wa sthe first ever album I listned to she said I used to air-guitar on One. This is what got me into Metallica and Ive been oyal ever since.Their 2nd album with Jason Newsted on bass, and their first with a video. The last totally cutting edge album they did as far as speed metal, I'm partial to 'Eye of the Beholder'. :cool:

Jaydog57
07-30-2005, 02:59 AM
Like Guns or not but you can't deny all of the hits on this album. If I had to only pick one album to take on an island this would be it.yeah, definitely some great tracks on that album, 'Nightrain' being my favorite.:rocker:

waynek
07-30-2005, 03:44 AM
Diary Of A Madman - Ozzy Ozbourne

Quelonio
07-30-2005, 04:16 AM
I am a huge fan of music, and I got pretty good taste, but the first thing that got me into music was actually a pretty bad album and a pretty bad song. The album was 18 til I die with the song The only thing that looks good on me is you, by Bryan Adams, I was a fan of him all through middle school, and then I grew up.

Dolphin1184
07-30-2005, 05:31 AM
Their 2nd album with Jason Newsted on bass, and their first with a video. The last totally cutting edge album they did as far as speed metal, I'm partial to 'Eye of the Beholder'. :cool:

Wait a second, I thought it was his first album? I guess you are counting Garage Days revisited.

Mine has to be the album Ride the Lightning, title: Fade to Black

Pagan
07-30-2005, 05:34 AM
Alive! ~ KISS

DonShula84
07-30-2005, 06:03 AM
Never was a big music guy, had Metallica cds and always liked them, but I really started to get into music and going to concerts after I saw The Who live.

HysterikiLL
07-30-2005, 09:18 AM
You guys are into the rock huh??

For me, Mobb Deep, The Infamous...I about about 10 when that came out....Public Enemy, Tupac Shakur was never far away

Buddwalk
07-30-2005, 09:18 AM
Just wondering what album or song made you become a big fan of music, if you are one. A title that made you want to play an instrument or make music your life. For me it was Van Halen's, 'Women and Children First'. I heard "Everybody Wants Some" at 12 years old and I've been broke ever since. :lol:

Metallica Kill Em All

First heard the cd in 1992...born 1989 :D

Was played at my birthday party by my father when we had a pinata set up i believe he played jump in the fire

NaboCane
07-30-2005, 12:11 PM
There's a Kind of a Hush, by Herman's Hermits.

1crazy_finfan
07-30-2005, 12:42 PM
:rockon: Led Zepplin "Houses of the Holy" & Metallica "Kill em all!" Been a metalhead ever since! :rocker:

byroan
07-30-2005, 12:50 PM
Bone Thugs N Harmony

Buddwalk
07-30-2005, 12:56 PM
:rockon: Led Zepplin "Houses of the Holy" & Metallica "Kill em all!" Been a metalhead ever since! :rocker:

I can play houses of the holy :D

FIN-IN-RI
07-30-2005, 01:27 PM
lol mine was: bone thugs - creepin on ah come up then dr.dre - the chronic after that, Tupac was constantly in my cd player.

it was all downhill from there :lol:

1crazy_finfan
07-30-2005, 01:48 PM
I can play houses of the holy :D

Dang! thats cool!! :cool: :D

d-day
07-30-2005, 01:50 PM
kiss - destroyer

AirFishOne
07-30-2005, 01:51 PM
lol no one likes Metallica's 90s material I for one like anything they put on sale

themole
07-31-2005, 10:53 PM
I can remember it, as if it were just yesterday.

It was a 45, yellow label with a sunburst on it.

Songs: I walk the line & Ring of Fire
Artist: Johnny Cash
Year: ? 1954-55

tracer
07-31-2005, 11:01 PM

Year: ? 1954-55I liked rock until waylon jennings started singing. i started listening to the words and really got hooked on C&W.;)

themole
07-31-2005, 11:09 PM
I liked rock until waylon jennings started singing. i started listening to the words and really got hooked on C&W.;)

Yeah...Waylon was one of the original outlaws of country western. Like Johnny Cash, Waylon liked to incorperate that big E string into his music, thumping you with the base. It's truly all in the words with CW.

AirFishOne
07-31-2005, 11:12 PM
Metal Up Your ***

:D

spydertl79
08-01-2005, 02:18 AM
Like Guns or not but you can't deny all of the hits on this album. If I had to only pick one album to take on an island this would be it.
Im 17 years old and some of my favorite bands are Guns and Roses and AC-DC

spydertl79
08-01-2005, 02:18 AM
But as to my favorite CD- Meteora by Linkin Park

LtDan
08-01-2005, 07:40 AM
Didn't really make me a music person per se but it definitely made me a heavy metal person and there was no looking back to this day!

Quiet Riot- Metal Health

ILPhinFan88
08-01-2005, 09:08 AM
AC/DC- Back in Black- The first album I ever owned

NaboCane
08-01-2005, 10:37 AM
Yeah...Waylon was one of the original outlaws of country western. Like Johnny Cash, Waylon liked to incorperate that big E string into his music, thumping you with the base. It's truly all in the words with CW.

Classic country rocks.

Lukin
08-01-2005, 02:04 PM
Pearl Jam - Ten

spydertl79
08-01-2005, 04:20 PM
AC/DC- Back in Black- The first album I ever owned
That is a great CD, every song on it rocks.

R_t_Kraken
08-01-2005, 05:23 PM
Metallica - Ride The Lightning

Dolphin1184
08-01-2005, 05:33 PM
Metallica - Ride The Lightning

I love it. I have a video of clips of the best parts of that song Live Paris 2003. It is just awesome :)

dolfan_101
08-01-2005, 05:40 PM
When I heard Van Halen's Panama when i was 7.

Jaydog57
08-01-2005, 11:29 PM

Year: ? 1954-55Ahh, yes the Cash man. I love 'A Boy Names Sue', still trying to find his version of 'It Ain't Me Babe' from Dylan. That guy is the reason music is how it is today, I don't care what anybody says. I have most of his albums, he's definitely the MAN. :cool:

As he says to the San Quentin crew....

"I think I understand how you feel about some things
It's none of my business how you feel about some other things
And I don't give a damn how you feel 'bout some other things....." :cool:........leading into the classic, 'San Quentin', which is sung twice, just to piss off the guards, lol..... :rofl3:

Roman529
08-02-2005, 12:42 AM
I started to listen to music in the mid to late 1970's and my friend down the street from me was a huge Kiss fan...his whole room was Kiss posters and I started to listen to them and became a big fan of theirs.....the 1970's and 1980's was a great time for rock music and then things kind of faded away in the 1990's. :cry:

tracer
08-02-2005, 09:12 AM
Yeah...Waylon was one of the original outlaws of country western. Like Johnny Cash, Waylon liked to incorperate that big E string into his music, thumping you with the base. It's truly all in the words with CW.Some of the music that rock bands play is not bad, but the words don't rhyme and they don't make sense. They usally play the music so loud you can't hear the words, thats usually because they're sing abot defiling your grandmother or other relative. Some of C&W is pretty sappy, but at least you can understand it.

Pagan
08-02-2005, 09:45 AM
Some of the music that rock bands play is not bad, but the words don't rhyme and they don't make sense. They usally play the music so loud you can't hear the words, thats usually because they're sing abot defiling your grandmother or other relative. Some of C&W is pretty sappy, but at least you can understand it.
Bro, you sound like my grandfather. :lol:

You need to read some lyrics by bands, some of the most intelligent lyrics are written for rock music, particularly metal.

NaboCane
08-02-2005, 10:39 AM

You need to read some lyrics by bands, some of the most intelligent lyrics are written for rock music, particularly metal.

Damn, Pagan; now you're stretching the bounds of believability. Best lyrics...metal?

tracer
08-02-2005, 11:16 AM

You need to read some lyrics by bands, some of the most intelligent lyrics are written for rock music, particularly metal.ReallY! Thats pretty close to the truth because i'm quoting mine!:goof:

dolfan_101
08-02-2005, 01:27 PM
My first rock album was either GNR Appetite For Destruction, or Van Halen 1984.

themole
08-02-2005, 04:55 PM
Classic country rocks.

I think so too Nabo. I'm not a great fan of modern country music. I do like Dwight Yokum and Alan Jackson though. Most here would think that Merle Haggard would be corn, but if you have a decent sound system and enjoy hearing different instruments shared unselfeshly, sprinkled with a little country, jazz and blues then Merle Haggard and The Strangers will not disappoint.

themole
08-02-2005, 04:59 PM
Ahh, yes the Cash man. I love 'A Boy Names Sue', still trying to find his version of 'It Ain't Me Babe' from Dylan. That guy is the reason music is how it is today, I don't care what anybody says. I have most of his albums, he's definitely the MAN. :cool:

And I don't give a damn how you feel 'bout some other things....." :cool:........leading into the classic, 'San Quentin', which is sung twice, just to piss off the guards, lol..... :rofl3:

The original "Man In Black". The possum got it right when he sang "Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes". Didn't he?

themole
08-02-2005, 05:07 PM
Some of the music that rock bands play is not bad, but the words don't rhyme and they don't make sense. They usally play the music so loud you can't hear the words, thats usually because they're sing abot defiling your grandmother or other relative. Some of C&W is pretty sappy, but at least you can understand it.

While I don't knock what is popular today, I can't listen to it. I'm old school and like to be moved by the lyrics and the music.

I prefur classic country of the 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s. I also like "Soul" of the 50s and 60s along with what is known as "Rock A Billy".

Pagan
08-02-2005, 09:58 PM
Damn, Pagan; now you're stretching the bounds of believability. Best lyrics...metal?
Want me to quote some? I never said "best". I said that metal lyrics are particularly intelligent. Re-read my post. ;)

Go and read some of Bruce Dickinson's lyrics.

The body bags and little rags of children torn in two
And the jellied brains of those who remain to put the finger right on you
As the madmen play on words and make us all dance to their song
To the tune of starving millions, to make a better kind of gun.

The killer's breed or the Demon's seed,
The glamour, the fortune, the pain,
Go to war again, blood is freedom's stain
Don't you pray for my soul anymore.

Dolphin1184
08-02-2005, 10:46 PM
Want me to quote some? I never said "best". I said that metal lyrics are particularly intelligent. Re-read my post. ;)

TWO.... MINUTES..... TO MIIIDDDDNIGGHTTTTTT!

:rawk:

NaboCane
08-02-2005, 11:39 PM
I think so too Nabo. I'm not a great fan of modern country music. I do like Dwight Yokum and Alan Jackson though. Most here would think that Merle Haggard would be corn, but if you have a decent sound system and enjoy hearing different instruments shared unselfeshly, sprinkled with a little country, jazz and blues then Merle Haggard and The Strangers will not disappoint.

I agree about modern country. Too...I don't know, but it's too something. Maybe too corporate/slick/glitzy, like a parody of itself. Can't bear to hear it. Ever hear what the Dixie Chicks did to Fleetwood Mac's Landslide? Criminal.

Give me Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Patsy Cline, Lynn Anderson, Charlie Pride...and I do like Clint Black, BTW.

What you said about wanting your music to move you is spot-on too. Even music you want to dance to should elicit something from inside you, an emotional response.

NaboCane
08-02-2005, 11:46 PM

My mistake; I read "intelligent" and understood "best."

But I can't relate to what you're saying, though. For real lyrics that stay with me, I can't think of a genre that beats folk. Give John Gorka (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000131M/qid=1123040726/sr=1-9/ref=sr_1_9/102-5177409-2640122?v=glance&s=music) a listen (track 6)...or Ani DiFranco (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000058MQ/qid=1123040836/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/102-5177409-2640122) (track 9) - if you're willing, that is - it's very different from metal.

:)

NaboCane
08-02-2005, 11:54 PM
Ahh, yes the Cash man. I love 'A Boy Names Sue', still trying to find his version of 'It Ain't Me Babe' from Dylan. That guy is the reason music is how it is today, I don't care what anybody says. I have most of his albums, he's definitely the MAN. :cool:

Here (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005Y1M2/qid=1123041335/sr=8-3/ref=__3/102-5177409-2640122?v=glance&s=music) you go, Jay; disc 2, track 1.

themole
08-03-2005, 12:18 AM
I agree about modern country. Too...I don't know, but it's too something. Maybe too corporate/slick/glitzy, like a parody of itself. Can't bear to hear it. Ever hear what the Dixie Chicks did to Fleetwood Mac's Landslide? Criminal.

Give me Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Patsy Cline, Lynn Anderson, Charlie Pride...and I do like Clint Black, BTW.

What you said about wanting your music to move you is spot-on too. Even music you want to dance to should elicit something from inside you, an emotional response.

Here's two "Rock A Billy" albums you might enjoy.

Blue Ridge Rangers - John Fogerty. If you liked CCR, just think about Fogerty cutting loose with that electric guitar doing the songs of the 30s like Jimmy Rogers califorina Blues. He will make you shake your head and say...DAMN! that's the way it was supposed to sound.

Hank Wilsons Back- Leon Russell. Yeah...ole piano plunking, long haired Rocker, does the oldies a little more traditional than Fogerty. Makes you shake your head and say DAMN! Again.

NaboCane
08-03-2005, 12:21 AM
Here's two "Rock A Billy" albums you might enjoy.

Blue Ridge Rangers - John Fogerty. If you liked CCR, just think about Fogerty cutting loose with that electric guitar doing the songs of the 30s like Jimmy Rogers califorina Blues. He will make you shake your head and say...DAMN! that's the way it was supposed to sound.

Hank Wilsons Back- Leon Russell. Yeah...ole piano plunking, long haired Rocker, does the oldies a little more traditional than Fogerty. Makes you shake your head and say DAMN! Again.

Thanks man...I'll check them out.

Leon Russell...that's a hoot! :)

Pagan
08-03-2005, 07:43 AM
My mistake; I read "intelligent" and understood "best."

But I can't relate to what you're saying, though. For real lyrics that stay with me, I can't think of a genre that beats folk. Give John Gorka (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000131M/qid=1123040726/sr=1-9/ref=sr_1_9/102-5177409-2640122?v=glance&s=music) a listen (track 6)...or Ani DiFranco (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000058MQ/qid=1123040836/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/102-5177409-2640122) (track 9) - if you're willing, that is - it's very different from metal.

Folk lyrics ARE excellent. No argument there. A different animal though. Folk tends to lend itself more to real life situations, relationships, politics, etc.

Metal leans more towards storytelling and fantasy. Both are equally good IMHO.

Google Dream Theater's lyrics for their album Scenes From A Memory or Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime. Both could be made into movies!

cmax13
08-03-2005, 08:02 AM
i agree pagan, mindcrime is a fantastic story, from the very beginning in the hospital to the very end, "i remember now!"

great story and concept.

NaboCane
08-03-2005, 11:20 AM
Folk lyrics ARE excellent. No argument there. A different animal though. Folk tends to lend itself more to real life situations, relationships, politics, etc.

Metal leans more towards storytelling and fantasy. Both are equally good IMHO.

Google Dream Theater's lyrics for their album Scenes From A Memory or Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime. Both could be made into movies!

I see your point clearly, and I respect your opinion and your taste. I just can't get past the musical style to really appreciate the lyrical value the way you do; kind of like when I had a group of friends that were into gothic rock - no way I can penetrate what I consider to be the unattractive qualities of that music to be able to see anything in it.

That obviously doesn't change the music's inherent value, just that I'm not able to appreciate it.

Pagan
08-03-2005, 11:51 AM
I see your point clearly, and I respect your opinion and your taste. I just can't get past the musical style to really appreciate the lyrical value the way you do; kind of like when I had a group of friends that were into gothic rock - no way I can penetrate what I consider to be the unattractive qualities of that music to be able to see anything in it.

That obviously doesn't change the music's inherent value, just that I'm not able to appreciate it.
That's pretty sad bro...I'm not into folk music or country at all, but I can listen to it and appreciate it's value and talent.

Now rap? :lol:

themole
08-03-2005, 12:13 PM
Thanks man...I'll check them out.

Leon Russell...that's a hoot! :)

I know! But an excellent hoot. If you never got into the Nitty Gritty Dirt Bands music, you should give them an ear.

Strange (because they are country) as it may seem. Some of my all time favorite bands are from Califorina.

Merle Haggard- Bakersfield
John Fogerty- Berkley
Dwight Yokum- Bakersfield
Buck Owens- Bakersfield

NaboCane
08-03-2005, 12:34 PM
That's pretty sad bro...I'm not into folk music or country at all, but I can listen to it and appreciate it's value and talent.

Now rap? :lol:

Rap, unfortunately and disappointingly, has become a celebration of the negative. Some good hiphop is still out there to be had, but it's too little compared to the preponderance of crap like eminem.

tracer
08-03-2005, 01:20 PM

What you said about wanting your music to move you is spot-on too. Even music you want to dance to should elicit something from inside you, an emotional response.Add George Strait to that list.

They call me the fireman, thats my name. roamin round all over town puttin out old flames.............

Dolphin1184
08-03-2005, 03:47 PM
The curse it lives on in their eyes
The mariner wished he'd die
Along with the sea creatures
But they lived on, so did he.

and by the light of the moon
He prays for their beauty not doom
With heart he blesses them
God's creatures all of them too.

Then the spell starts to break
The albatross falls from his neck
Sinks down like lead into the sea
Then down in falls comes the rain.

Pagan
08-03-2005, 03:53 PM
She came to me with a serpent's kiss,
As the Eye of the Sun rose on her lips,
Moonlight catches silver tears I cry,
So we lay in a black embrace,
And the Seed is sown in a holy place
And I watched, and I waited for the Dawn.

The light of the Blind - you'll see,
The venom that tears my spine,
The Eyes of the Nile are opening - you'll see.

Bind all of us together,
Ablaze with Hope and Free,
No storm or heavy weather
Will rock the boat you'll see.
The time has come to close your eyes
And still the wind and rain,
For the one who will be King
Is the Watcher in the Ring.
It is You.

;)

Dolphin1184
08-03-2005, 04:07 PM
Mama they try and break me
The window burns to light the way back home
A light that warms no matter where they've gone
They're off to find the hero of the day
But what if they should fall by someone's wicked way
Still the window burns
Time so slowly turns
And someone there is sighing
Keepers of the flames
Can't you hear your names?
Can't you hear your babies crying?

**Skips some parts**

But now the dreams and waking screams
That everlast the night
So build a wall
Behind it crawl
And hide until it's light
Can't you hear your babies crying now?

DoctorFeelgood
08-04-2005, 06:25 PM
Tough question, and I can't narrow it down to just one song or album. But I really remember being influenced early on by:

Black Sabbath - Iron Man; a buddy of mine had an 8-track of the album with this song, and we'd listen to it over and over again, when I was about 12 or so.

Twisted Sister - You Can't Stop Rock and Roll; same friend had the vinyl single of this song which he gave to me, and the cassette of the album Stay Hungry. We spent a lot of time listening to this stuff.

And the first time I remember going to the store and asking my mom to buy music for me, I came away with:

AC/DC - Who Made Who

Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind

Van Halen - 5150

all three are still favorites to this day.

And then, somehow, someway, somebody introduced me to Motley Crue. The rest is history.... :)

d-day
08-05-2005, 01:49 PM
It’s so sad, livin’ at home
Far from the city and the midnight fun
It’s so bad, goin’ to school
So far from me and the dirty things that we do

I’m the king of the night time world
And you’re my headlight queen
Come live your secret dream

It’s so fine, lovin’ with ease
Far from the house and the family fights
It’s so fine, bein’ with you
Bein’ with me makes everything alright

Come live your secret dream, alright

It’s so sad, you’re not content
Far from the music and the neon glow
Ain’t you glad we got the time
Far from our folks, they’ll never ever know

Come live your secret dream

d-day
08-05-2005, 01:50 PM
You really like my limousine
You like the way the wheels roll
You like my seven inch leather heels
And goin’ to all of the shows, but
Do you love me, do you love me
Do you love me, really love me

You like the credit cards and private planes
Money can really take you far
You like the hotels and fancy clothes
And the sound of electric guitars, but

Do you love me, I mean like do you
Really love me

You really like rock ’n’ roll
All of the fame and the masquerade
You like the concerts and studios
And all the money, honey, that I make, but

Do you love me, really love me

Your backstage pass and black sunglasses
Make you look just like a queen
Even the fans, they know your face
From all of the magazines, but

Do you love me (do you love me)
Really love me (really love me)
I wanna know

Jaydog57
08-05-2005, 02:05 PM
:rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

You’ll take my life but I’ll take yours too
You’ll fire your musket but I’ll run you through
So when your waiting for the next attack
You’d better stand there’s no turning back

The bugle sounds as the charge begins
But on this battlefield no one wins
The smell of arcrid smoke and horses breath
As you plunge into a certain death

The horse he sweats with fear we break to run
The mighty roar of the russian guns
And as we race towards the human wall
The screams of pain as my comrades fall

We hurdle bodies that lay on the ground
And the russians fire another round
We get so near yet so far away
We won’t live to fight another day

We get so close near enough to fight
When a russian gets me in his sights
He pulls the trigger and I feel the blow
A burst of rounds take my horse below

And as I lay there gazing at the sky
My body’s numb and my throat is dry
And as I lay forgotten and alone
Without a tear I draw my parting groan
:rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

themole
08-05-2005, 07:04 PM
Here's one by the Hag.

1973 - "Life Long Love Affair With Trains". All songs on this album have something to do with trains. Very good album!

She's a railroad lady
Just a little bit shady
Spendin' her days on the trains
She's a semi-good looker
But the fast rails they took 'er
Now she's tryin', just tryin' to get home again

South Station in Boston to the freightyards of Austin
From the Florida sunshine to the New Orleans rain
Now that the railpacks
Has taken the best tracks
She's tryin', just tryin' to get home again

She's a railroad lady