PDA

View Full Version : We are in trouble (with the site)

dolfan87
11-05-2002, 10:28 PM
Ok people. as I am sure you have noticed, the site was down for a good 6 hours today. The reason is we keep crashing the server that we are on. We switched to this ISP in hopes of keeping costs down, but as you can tell, it didn't do any good.

They have told us we need to upgrade or we will be down a lot longer. I know we did the donation thing here for awhile, but that only brought in a tad over $500.00. We attempted to make that work, but it is clear we either have to upgrade, or say bye bye to Fin Heaven. Upgrading is 129.00 per month. That is what we need to keep this place open.

I personally am a bit angry at the e mails we receive while the site is "down" complaining that they can't access the boards, yet when we reach out and ask for help only a few of the 1000+ members pony up. A few of those people were even BILLS and JETS fans.

Folks we are just a bunch of regular guys, who make barely enough to live on (and in A.J.'s case, not nearly enough) and we try to run this site for you. It is no longer fun for us, and quite frankly, we are both seriously considering shutting this whole thing down.

Life is stressful enough without turning a fan based site into a job with no pay, and this amount of stress.

So people what do you want to do? We appreciate the fans who have contributed, (some of you have been so generous) but all it would take is half of our members to drop a 5 dollar bill in the mail.

That's it.

So the ball is in your court, you make the call. If you want Fin Heaven to stay on line, DONATE...otherwise we are shutting down.

Sportsguy11
11-05-2002, 10:33 PM
87 is right guys. I have searched the web for a better dolphins site than this one, and their is no such thing. And everone here knows it. We have over 1,000 members. If everone just donated a single Dollar, we would be in better shape. I know nobody here wan'ts this site to go down, but the reality is that it will if we don't some support. It's up to everone to keep this wonderful thing we have going alive. PLEASE, everyone!!! donate some money now, or you can kiss Finheaven.com goodbye........

I hope we will all dig into our pockets and give.

BSQX4
11-05-2002, 10:54 PM
Where do we send the checks to. Post the address please so everybody can do something right away. We appreciate the site very much, it's a place to go to bond with Dolphin buddies in good and bad times. Finheaven must live!!!

Migs182005
11-05-2002, 10:58 PM
FinHeaven & Co
PO Box 46425
Tampa, FL 33647

Please make checks made out to Andrew Tatum.

Or

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=andrewt84@hotmail.com&item_name=FinHeaven+&+Co&item_number=Donations

P4E
11-05-2002, 11:11 PM
I love this site and I appreciate all the time and effort you put into it. I'm gonna fast for a week or so and send you the $$$ I save.

Tell ya what, -- I'll send it right away. It won't balance the budget by itself, but I'm sure you guys will spend it better than I would. :)

FinHeavenAJ
11-05-2002, 11:26 PM
Thank you Phan4Ever... I really appreciate it :cool:

Also, just to let everyone know, BSQX4 has agreed to start a pledge drive. He will start the pledge at $129.00. Thus, there is $1371 left.

breckenridge55
11-06-2002, 12:24 AM
Thanks for everything guys. I'll be sure to drop some money into the mailbox in a week or two. Although I don't have a job, I'm even going to put in 5 bucks. I mean, I'm a 14 year old with no job, and I am going to donate. Come on people, let's save Finheaven.

CA Dolfan
11-06-2002, 12:41 AM
Hey guys I just chipped in $10 via pay pal. Keep up the good work. This is good therapy. If worse comes to worse, have you thought about charging a monthly fee?

Baz
11-06-2002, 02:08 AM
I'll send what I can afford. I wish I could make a sizable donation, but I'm still in school......

Dajesus
11-06-2002, 02:33 AM
My paycheck goes in my account thursday at midnight, so I will chip in 10 bucks at 12:01. I think I might have a few ideas as well.

I know finheaven has had some realtions with OG before is there any chance for some more hype for his clothing line he would give an autographed football that you could do a raffle here for? Sell tickets for 5 bucks, and that should raise some dough.

You could do the same idea with another player. Write a well written letter to a bunch of the players and see if they can help.

I am sleeping out for playoff tickets IF we host one, I would be more than happy to pick up a pair of tickets for the web site to raffle.

The same could be done with replica jerseys on a monthly basis.

Would it be legal to make money off the football poll?

This one might be a little harder, but Miad works for a tavel agency. I wonder if this site could promote football trips that they would provide if they would be willing to give 1 free trip after finheaven sells 5-10 for them.

I honestly could go on all night. The last one that i will say now is i know integrity is a concern, but with the millions of hits this site has it should be able to sell at least 127 dollars a month in advertiseing. Then if people start ponying up the greenbacks you could stop the pop ups and ads.

If you like any of the ideas and you want me to help in any way i would be more than happy to.

stan marino
11-06-2002, 03:42 AM
I will send a money order soon...not sure how much but i'll try to contribute.

inFINSible
11-06-2002, 07:57 AM
Why don't you just charge people a membership fee of 5$ per year?

I can't shake the feeling that I'm going to give money and the site will still be closed down.

Dozerdog
11-06-2002, 08:04 AM
BillsZone.com just made a $50 donation to keep your sorry @sses of welfare......;)

Squirrel
11-06-2002, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by inFINSible
Why don't you just charge people a membership fee of 5$ per year?

I can't shake the feeling that I'm going to give money and the site will still be closed down.

That would be a bad move inFINsible. I have seen forums try that and have ended up losing members.

Just food for thought here (from a non-Fins fan). Given you have a membership base of 1000+ if you could do a donation drive asking for even a minimum of $5 you would exceed the annual amount necessary to keep this up and running. Anything given above that would be gravy (so to speak)

One of the Packer sites does that every fall and they raise close to 2k every year.

I am not sure if I will continue to visit this forum since we do not play the Fins again (unless we meet in SD), but if I decide to I will chip in a few bucks. Like I said, this is a cool site.

(at least now I know why I could not get into the forum here yesterday, thought you guys banned me :( )

inFINSible
11-06-2002, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Squirrel
That would be a bad move inFINsible. I have seen forums try that and have ended up losing members.

Just food for thought here (from a non-Fins fan). Given you have a membership base of 1000+ if you could do a donation drive asking for even a minimum of $5 you would exceed the annual amount necessary to keep this up and running. Anything given above that would be gravy (so to speak)

One of the Packer sites does that every fall and they raise close to 2k every year.

I am not sure if I will continue to visit this forum since we do not play the Fins again (unless we meet in SD), but if I decide to I will chip in a few bucks. Like I said, this is a cool site.

(at least now I know why I could not get into the forum here yesterday, thought you guys banned me :( )

But even if we lose half the members, the half remaining would more than cover expenses........and Good riddance to the cheapskates.

We HAVE tried the 5 dollar donation thing.......not even close, would be an understatement.

We would never ban you, squirrel.......We like fuzzy tailed tree rats.;) :goof: :jk:

SWS84
11-06-2002, 08:35 AM
I just chipped in $5.00. Sorry I couldn't do more, but I'm unemployed at the moment and things are a little tight. I hope to do more in the future when I get back on track!

:) :) :)

Clumpy
11-06-2002, 09:34 AM
My pledge of $5/loss will be changed to $10/loss. That stands at $30, on top of the $10 I donated in Sept. I will wait and see what happens this weekend and a check for $30 or $40 next week.

Go J-E-T-S!! ;)

fin-atic
11-06-2002, 09:51 AM
I am making my donation today. I love this site. I am glad to support it.

I think what would help others out is:

Present an idea of what your operating cost are. A budget per say.

In a world where people are taken for money. People are sceptical to lay out money. They think someone is profiting.

I think most people don;t take the threat of losing the forum seriously. I know I did when I oculdn't log on.

Also any thought to corporate sponsorship? There must be some retailer or something that will donate to this board.

MarinoFan
11-06-2002, 10:03 AM
I'll be sednign a check next week. Not sure how much, but at least $5-10. Let's keep this thing alive!!!

dolphan39
11-06-2002, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by inFINSible
But even if we lose half the members, the half remaining would more than cover expenses........and Good riddance to the cheapskates.

We HAVE tried the 5 dollar donation thing.......not even close, would be an understatement.

We would never ban you, squirrel.......We like fuzzy tailed tree rats.;) :goof: :jk: sounds like this might be pollworthy ?

though I have a real problem w/member fees since it kinda eliminates the ease with which great fans like the Packs fans we had here would come on ever. I do not see an issue for some Dolphans, I would not go to another team site for a fee.

dolfan87
11-06-2002, 10:20 AM
We have tried advertising, and in fact we HAVE advertisers, it's just not making enough. Our budget? We need $129.00 a month for 12 months. We took the 500.00 we raised in the last donation, and bought a one year package which we hoped would solve the problem. Well, as you all can see, Fin Heaven crashes the server we are on. They told us we need a dedicated server, and that is 129.00 a month.

Other sites easily raise the money for operating costs. There is a Jets, Bills, Packers, and Raiders site that I know of, which does a fund raiser every year, and they don't seem to have any problem. One site has about half the members we do.

In the mean time, until we can afford to upgrade, just expect the site to crash a lot. We are working on a temp solution for that, but we aren't sure if we can work it out.

Sorry for snapping at everyone in the beginning, AJ and I were just frustrated, and a bit angry.

Scrap
11-06-2002, 10:29 AM
I will send some money soon.Not being able to view my favorite sight is a scary thought.

DolFan899
11-06-2002, 11:57 AM
Come on guys even if you just read the forums instead of posting still donate...just think...no more forum...no more reading :(

FFiB
11-06-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Adphinistrator87
We have tried advertising, and in fact we HAVE advertisers, it's just not making enough. Our budget? We need $129.00 a month for 12 months. We took the 500.00 we raised in the last donation, and bought a one year package which we hoped would solve the problem. Well, as you all can see, Fin Heaven crashes the server we are on. They told us we need a dedicated server, and that is 129.00 a month.

Other sites easily raise the money for operating costs. There is a Jets, Bills, Packers, and Raiders site that I know of, which does a fund raiser every year, and they don't seem to have any problem. One site has about half the members we do.

In the mean time, until we can afford to upgrade, just expect the site to crash a lot. We are working on a temp solution for that, but we aren't sure if we can work it out.

Sorry for snapping at everyone in the beginning, AJ and I were just frustrated, and a bit angry.

Like I told AJ. Your solution is closer than you think.
The admins of Finheaven should all get yahoo or netmeeting and we all should make a little "conference" call.

This site is to big to just live on donations - year in and year out.

I would love to contribute but unless I pay the whole bill I feel like the money will not solve the problem. As big as the membership is when it comes to money most just step back and wait and see until its to late.

I told AJ yesterday that Finheaven will go no where (no where as in will not go away). It's just a matter of time for you all to find some time and talk.

85inthehall
11-06-2002, 12:08 PM
A couple of thoughts--
you may have 1000+ members but how many are actively using the board? How many have signed up for a game - twalked trahs and never come back?
Is it possible with vb to determine active members vs inactive members? The submitted e-mail address when they signed up - send out a mass mailing too all 1000+ members...requesting a donation to keep the site a live...if they don't check the site they don't know what is going on make them know.
They want to you upgrade because of bandwidth I am assuming?
What is taking up the most bandwidth? is there a way to bring it down using a different service/feature?
See if you can find a provider that is will to trade you site for free advertising that will reach over 1000+ finheaven members and countless other from across the country --- perhaps a reseller account -- sell space to finheaven's user base -- usually thos accounts have more leeway for bandwidth/space.
JP
--just looked at the member list -- about 600 members have less than 10 posts and of those approx 230 members have never posted - now assuming the other 400-500 are active and willing to donate those are the ones you have to hit up for a few bucks..

SWS84
11-06-2002, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by dolphan39
sounds like this might be pollworthy ?

though I have a real problem w/member fees since it kinda eliminates the ease with which great fans like the Packs fans we had here would come on ever. I do not see an issue for some Dolphans, I would not go to another team site for a fee.

VERY GOOD POINT!!

I'm with you! I like the idea of other fans joining in on the discussions. It gives us all a broader view of the NFL and keeps things, in dolphin land, a little more in perspective.

:) :) :)

dolphan39
11-06-2002, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by SWS84
VERY GOOD POINT!!

I'm with you! I like the idea of other fans joining in on the discussions. It gives us all a broader view of the NFL and keeps things, in dolphin land, a little more in perspective.

:) :) :) unfortunately, they leaves up back to where we are: needing voluntary donations or bust :(

Squirrel
11-06-2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by FFiB

This site is to big to just live on donations - year in and year out.

Thats not true.

The 2 Packer sites that I go to do well with donations and a few other ploys. Both have tried the sponsorship ads to generate some income to help pay the costs but found that these simply did not generate enough money.

I checked the membership numbers of the 2 Packer sites I go to

X4 has 1749 members
Zbuds has 971

AJ why don't you contact the head guys there for some ideas. Both are really cool guys and can not think of a reason why they would not be willing to share some ideas with you here that could help you out. If you need their url's email me and I will send them to you.

FFiB
11-06-2002, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by 85inthehall
A couple of thoughts--
you may have 1000+ members but how many are actively using the board? How many have signed up for a game - twalked trahs and never come back?
Is it possible with vb to determine active members vs inactive members? The submitted e-mail address when they signed up - send out a mass mailing too all 1000+ members...requesting a donation to keep the site a live...if they don't check the site they don't know what is going on make them know.
They want to you upgrade because of bandwidth I am assuming?
What is taking up the most bandwidth? is there a way to bring it down using a different service/feature?
See if you can find a provider that is will to trade you site for free advertising that will reach over 1000+ finheaven members and countless other from across the country --- perhaps a reseller account -- sell space to finheaven's user base -- usually thos accounts have more leeway for bandwidth/space.
JP
--just looked at the member list -- about 600 members have less than 10 posts and of those approx 230 members have never posted - now assuming the other 400-500 are active and willing to donate those are the ones you have to hit up for a few bucks..

Very good post. Most sites are in trouble because of bandwith issues. I do know of a couple of areas where bandwidth is being used heavily and can be solved easily. But I doubt it will be enough.
Unfortunately bandwith charges is a trumped up charge. I am hosting clients for 12 years now and mu c-base is close to 1,000 on a total of 57 servers. I never charged bandwidth on VPS accounts.

FFiB
11-06-2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Squirrel
Thats not true.

The 2 Packer sites that I go to do well with donations and a few other ploys. Both have tried the sponsorship ads to generate some income to help pay the costs but found that these simply did not generate enough money.

I checked the membership numbers of the 2 Packer sites I go to

X4 has 1749 members
Zbuds has 971

AJ why don't you contact the head guys there for some ideas. Both are really cool guys and can not think of a reason why they would not be willing to share some ideas with you here that could help you out. If you need their url's email me and I will send them to you.

a) how many active members?
b) Packers fans are in their own world anyways. The most dedicated fans you can imagine.

Squirrel
11-06-2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by FFiB
a) how many active members?
b) Packers fans are in their own world anyways. The most dedicated fans you can imagine.

To be honest, I could not tell you.

I know over at Z's he also has sections for other teams fans to get together. (NFC North and the Bucs) Where as at X4 its primarily Packer fans with a few fans that have come and stayed to talk football (and get bent out of shape when we talk about a player of theirs :lol: )

Chubby
11-06-2002, 01:43 PM
Please email me with info on how to send the monies, I will glady help, HELL YOU SHOULD CHARGE 5$ a month for this site. this site is the best on the fins and better than most fan sites on nfl teams. CNK604@aol.com email me here

dolphan39
11-06-2002, 01:53 PM
Chubby,
FinHeaven & Co
PO Box 46425
Tampa, FL 33647

Please make checks made out to Andrew Tatum.

Or

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=andrewt84@hotmail.com&item_name=FinHeaven+&+Co&item_number=Donations

also, emailed it to you...

Capt. Dick
11-06-2002, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
BillsZone.com just made a $50 donation to keep your sorry @sses of welfare......;)

From an old foe....thanks Dozer and BFZ.

Amars
11-06-2002, 03:29 PM
im going to send $$$. Money Order should be there next week.

DPlus47
11-06-2002, 03:45 PM
i sent a $10 check a couple of weeks ago. it still hasn't been cashed. let me know if it got lost or something and i'll send another one.

FinHeavenAJ
11-06-2002, 05:38 PM
I've been checking the PO Box every week... must of went by the day before or something... I'll check it again Tomorrow on my way from school....

Thanks though :cool:

bigbry
11-06-2002, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by FinHeavenAJ
I've been checking the PO Box every week... must of went by the day before or something... I'll check it again Tomorrow on my way from school....

Thanks though :cool:

I'm begining to get a little pissed!!!! During the 1st go around I send in $75.00. Im not blowing any horns here because Im certain many have contributed more. My point is we should just charge a yearly fee.... Everyone that has contributed is getting stepped on by those that use this M-Board but DO NOT contribute.

In short put your money where your mouth is!!!! Or IMO get the hell out.

BB

Muck
11-06-2002, 09:38 PM

:lol: That's just too funny!!

What would a Finheaven on Welfare look like?? :D

dolphan39
11-06-2002, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Muck

What would a Finheaven on Welfare look like?? :D if FinHeaven were homeless, could it have a home page :stooges:

WharfRat
11-07-2002, 05:51 PM
I did make a pledge for $1/win this season, but even if we win out, it'll only be $13... and you need it soner than the end of the year...
Sending out a check tomorrow... it's only $20... I'll send more when I can spare it.

Dozerdog
11-07-2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Muck

What would a Finheaven on Welfare look like?? :D

Check out the squeegie and pencil cup

FinHeavenAJ
11-07-2002, 10:33 PM
LMAO... thats hilarious....

bigbry
11-08-2002, 01:15 AM
Check out the squeegie and pencil cup

You the man Dozer.

BB

dirtywhiteboy
11-09-2002, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by bigbry
I'm begining to get a little pissed!!!! During the 1st go around I send in $75.00. Im not blowing any horns here because Im certain many have contributed more. My point is we should just charge a yearly fee.... Everyone that has contributed is getting stepped on by those that use this M-Board but DO NOT contribute.

In short put your money where your mouth is!!!! Or IMO get the hell out.

BB

i totally agree bb! i second the put up or shut up!

Steve Mo
11-09-2002, 07:22 PM
Im sorry, I would give you money, but Im 11 and no job...

PhinKev
11-09-2002, 08:32 PM
I sent you some money. Wish I could afford to do more.

FinHeavenAJ
11-09-2002, 08:56 PM
Not a problem Kev, every little bit helps :cool:

Thanks...

dirtywhiteboy
11-10-2002, 12:50 AM
we are so broke we lost our names?