PDA

View Full Version : who is a great rock star to u ?

finataxia24
08-07-2005, 04:12 AM
???
i think john frusciante & scott weiland before ( velvet revolver)
& Bob marley & the wailers when they still had peter tosh & bunny wailer.........

AirFishOne
08-07-2005, 04:18 AM
Anyone currently or used to be in Metallica

Dolphin1184
08-07-2005, 04:45 AM
Anyone currently or used to be in Metallica

:evil:

d-day
08-07-2005, 05:05 AM
david lee roth used to be the epitome of rock star

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Pagan
08-07-2005, 07:42 AM
david lee roth used to be the epitome of rock star
Amen.

It's all based one's definition of a rock star. Apparantly Finax has vastly different opinions of what a rock star is than I do! :lol:

To me a rock star is just that, a star. He has a cockiness, a swagger, and an aura around him. When he walks through a crowd, you can tell he's somebody without knowing who he is. He's larger than life. Prime examples of a rock star are:

~ David Lee Roth
~ Mick Jagger
~ Steven Tyler
~ David Bowie
~ Paul Stanley
~ Ozzy Osbourne
~ Robert Plant
~ Rod Stewart
~ Roger Daltry
~ Freddie Mercury

Unfortunately, IMO since the end of the 80's the classic "rock star" has ceased to exist.

Muck
08-07-2005, 11:09 AM
Amen.

It's all based one's definition of a rock star. Apparantly Finax has vastly different opinions of what a rock star is than I do! :lol:

To me a rock star is just that, a star. He has a cockiness, a swagger, and an aura around him. When he walks through a crowd, you can tell he's somebody without knowing who he is. He's larger than life. Prime examples of a rock star are:

~ David Lee Roth
~ Mick Jagger
~ Steven Tyler
~ David Bowie
~ Paul Stanley
~ Ozzy Osbourne
~ Robert Plant
~ Rod Stewart
~ Roger Daltry
~ Freddie Mercury

Unfortunately, IMO since the end of the 80's the classic "rock star" has ceased to exist.

Very good definition and list. Every one of those guys is the epitome of Rock Star.

Where would you put Axl Rose?? He was definitely at the top of the Rock Star food chain. But he destroyed himself (along with his band).

I think the reason why the classic Rock Star has vanished is because the times have changed. The music is different. There aren't a lot of guitar solos. Heck, there isn't a lot of 'soloism" period. Most rock bands now aren't geared towards showmanship. Kurt Cobain truly changed the landscape. He was a Rock Star built on the antithesis of a Rock Star.

I don't mean that the previous eras were filled with "five individuals playing together". It's just different, ya know??

Dave Grohl is a Rock Star to me. I think he best represents what it stands for today. Like you said, I think those days are gone. Grohl's not that dominant presence like Robert Plant or Freddie Mercury. He just kind of does his thing.

It's crazy to think that Dave Grohl has been leading the Foo Fighters for almost 11 years now, 3-4 times as long as he was in Nirvana.

BTW - did anyone see Robert Plant on Jay Leno about a week ago?? He was sporting a goatee and looked great up there.

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

finataxia24
08-07-2005, 01:25 PM
Amen.

~ David Lee Roth
~ Mick Jagger
~ Steven Tyler
~ David Bowie
~ Paul Stanley
~ Ozzy Osbourne
~ Robert Plant
~ Rod Stewart
~ Roger Daltry
~ Freddie Mercury

I had lots of
bourbon & coca cola

& beer last night :evil:

add hendrix & morrison to the list.

d-day
08-07-2005, 01:29 PM
I had lots of
bourbon & coca cola

& beer last night :evil:

spoken like a true rock star... :cooldude:

Trackstar
08-07-2005, 01:33 PM
Chris Alvarez from Backrive. :D

http://www.backrive.com/

finataxia24
08-07-2005, 01:46 PM
also this is important

You can say things with music that there’s no way to say with words. The meaning is much more than anyone can say with words. The reason for that is that music plays directly to our subconscious. We feel what we feel when we listen to music because it’s playing with our subconscious. Billboards that we see when we drive around play with our subconscious, the media plays with our subconscious, and commercials play with our subconscious. But those things **** with your subconscious, those things hurt your subconscious, and those things confuse your subconscious. Music puts your subconscious back in order, music gives your subconscious some sort of semblance of order and some sort of feeling of beauty, and that’s why we feel what we feel when we listen to it. Especially somebody who’s had a ****ed-up life, we need that – we need to feel like everything makes sense. At the end of the day when I sit down after doing everything that I need to do for the day, and I sit there in front of my speakers and I listen to some beautiful music, it puts everything in place, and I feel like the whole world is perfect. That is not stupid. That is the most important part of my day. It doesn’t matter what I’ve accomplished that day, or ****, how much money I’ve made that day, or anything like that doesn’t mean anything. What matters is at the end of the day where I can sit there, put on a Velvet Underground record, and the world is perfect, nothing is wrong with it. Everything is exactly the way it is supposed to be. That’s how I feel when I hear music, and that’s how it’s been my whole life.

calphin
08-07-2005, 04:18 PM
What about the Red Rocker?

Doktor Ivel
08-07-2005, 04:19 PM
i loved scott with stp

unifiedtheory
08-07-2005, 04:29 PM
Chris Alvarez from Backrive. :D

http://www.backrive.com/

LOL....I built (and am STILL) building that site...:D

mor911
08-07-2005, 05:35 PM
A great rock star to me is Pagan :rawk:

I don't many others. :D

Trackstar
08-07-2005, 05:42 PM
LOL....I built (and am STILL) building that site...:D

:eek: .....That was you? Awsome Job so far! It looks great.

What a small world. :lol:

unifiedtheory
08-07-2005, 08:04 PM
:eek: .....That was you? Awsome Job so far! It looks great.

What a small world. :lol:

Yes, still finishing it...although it makes it hard to finish the incomplete pages when I go back and renovate all the other pages...with luck it'll be done soon...:D

King Madison II
08-07-2005, 08:15 PM
all you guys need to know are three names .

ERIC (MR. SLOWHAND CLAPTON)
THE LATE GRATE JIMI HENDRIX
AND JIMMY PAGE LED ZEPPLIN

Pagan
08-07-2005, 08:51 PM
A great rock star to me is Pagan :rawk:
I appreciate the thought bro, but I'm FAR from a star. As long as my woman thinks so, that's all that matters. ;)

d-day
08-07-2005, 09:43 PM
john norman howard

Fin Fan in Cali
08-07-2005, 09:46 PM
Stevie Ray Vaughan

Roman529
08-08-2005, 12:10 AM
Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton, and lets not forget Paul McCartney.

King Nate
08-08-2005, 12:51 AM
Jimi Hendrix.

AirFishOne
08-08-2005, 12:54 PM
Well since yall said it, I guess Metallica aint exactly "rock star" material. I dont know, Pagan help me out.

But when u talk about rock stars u usually mean more of teh 80s mainstream rock and roll where as Metallica didnt join teh mainstream until the early 90s.

NaboCane
08-08-2005, 01:05 PM
Mick Jagger and Keith Richards.

They've lived the life, and lasted long enough to thoroughly enjoy it. None of that Paul McCartney-esque wimpy vegetarian **** for Mick and Keith.

Pagan
08-08-2005, 01:06 PM
Well since yall said it, I guess Metallica aint exactly "rock star" material. I dont know, Pagan help me out.

But when u talk about rock stars u usually mean more of teh 80s mainstream rock and roll where as Metallica didnt join teh mainstream until the early 90s.
Nah....not just 80's bro. 70's, 60's, 50's, whatever.

Elvis was a rock star in all aspects. It was an attitude. The limos, the money, the hangers-on, the aura. True "stars" are recognized wherever they go, even by people who aren't into that band or that music.

When someone like Gene Simmons walks into a building, you KNOW he's someone. Steven Tyler the same thing. They give off that confidence that borders on cockiness. (or sometimes blatently goes right for cockiness!)

John Fusciante is a talented and gifted musician, but if he walked down a busy street in Manhatten no one would give a flying f*ck.

Now take Rod Stewart and do the same thing. THAT'S the difference...and THAT's what makes a "rock star".

Static387
08-08-2005, 01:28 PM
Let me add Layne Staley & Eddie Vedder.

zephon
08-08-2005, 02:21 PM
Dave Navarro certainly fits the bill

AirFishOne
08-08-2005, 02:46 PM
Nah....not just 80's bro. 70's, 60's, 50's, whatever.

Elvis was a rock star in all aspects. It was an attitude. The limos, the money, the hangers-on, the aura. True "stars" are recognized wherever they go, even by people who aren't into that band or that music.

When someone like Gene Simmons walks into a building, you KNOW he's someone. Steven Tyler the same thing. They give off that confidence that borders on cockiness. (or sometimes blatently goes right for cockiness!)

John Fusciante is a talented and gifted musician, but if he walked down a busy street in Manhatten no one would give a flying f*ck.

Now take Rod Stewart and do the same thing. THAT'S the difference...and THAT's what makes a "rock star".

ok ok i get it now, but I dont really know if James Hetfield walked down a street, i mean his fans would know him but he isnt as worldy know as say Steven Tyler or Gene Simmons.

Pagan
08-08-2005, 02:53 PM
James is close bro. He's more mainstream than you think.

I would say the closest thing to a rock star today is Marilyn Manson. He gives off an INCREDIBLE aura.

AirFishOne
08-08-2005, 03:10 PM
true Manson has a good vibe and he keeps us on our toes, I just not into the whole Satanism, but that is just me.

Pagan
08-08-2005, 03:23 PM
Oh hell yea...his beliefs aside, he IS a rock star.

Jimmy Page was into Crowley, but I can overlook that when he plays. ;)

AirFishOne
08-08-2005, 04:43 PM
Isnt Crowley like Wichcraft?

Yea I wouldnt care about any of that crap unless they can shred, drum, sing, or lay down a good bass line.

dolfan_101
08-09-2005, 12:13 AM
David Lee Roth for sure, and Robert Plant are my idea of rock star singers. But Jimmy Page, and Slash for guitarists.

dolfan_101
08-09-2005, 12:18 AM
Oh hell yea...his beliefs aside, he IS a rock star.

Jimmy Page was into Crowley, but I can overlook that when he plays. ;)

Same here the whole witchcraft thing or whatever it was kinds made me disapointed but i mean he is still one of my favorite guitarists in my favorite band.

Pagan
08-09-2005, 07:26 AM
Isnt Crowley like Wichcraft?

Same here the whole witchcraft thing or whatever it was kinds made me disapointed but i mean he is still one of my favorite guitarists in my favorite band.
Not going to get deep into this, but don't confuse devil worship with Witchcraft. There's nothing evil about Witchcraft.

Been a Witch many years now, not an evil bone in me. ;)