PDA

View Full Version : Madden '06, first impressions...

PressCoverage
08-09-2005, 08:03 AM
i'm sure this thread will get moved to the gaming forum, but i hoped it would be OK to serve it up here for a short while to get some play...

first, the passing will definitely take a while to get used to... certainly no more passing off your back foot across the field and firing a laser ...

second, and i'm sure this has been discussed with the hint book having been out a while, but the dolphins are really bad... worse than i thought, with 67 on offense and 79 or so on D... . ouch... i really thought maybe the offense would be 75 or so... ick....

several buttons are totally different now, and that is somewhat frustrating that EA keeps doing that year in and year out... so much of that game is split-second subconscious, and when they keep going back and for on what is and isn't pump fake -- for example -- it's maddening (so to speak).

add your thoughts...

arsenal
08-09-2005, 08:07 AM
my only gripe so far (only played about an hour last night as i had to be here at work)... is that if i want to look at my R1 reciever, its hard as hell fo rme to press R2 and R1 at the same time... i dont like having 2 fingers up at the top part so i gotta do it with 1 finger, and its gonna take some getting used to, haha...

but i def like the passing cone, i was running practie plays and i had Mcmichael on a depe route and chambers on a curl and i was staring at mcmike so the corner on chambers started to shade towards him and i was able to hit chambers prestty easy, it was phat

PhinSoldia
08-09-2005, 08:07 AM
welcome to what NFL players have to do...and in 05 you threw the ball off your back foot you were gonna be picked...cant wait till i get back to school so i can pick up my copy

3P
08-09-2005, 08:08 AM
Intentionally posting a thread in the wrong forum to "get some play" is not alright. It causes more work for the Mods and clutters up the main forum.

I really wish people would stop doing it.

PressCoverage
08-09-2005, 08:10 AM
my only gripe so far (only played about an hour last night as i had to be here at work)... is that if i want to look at my R1 reciever, its hard as hell fo rme to press R2 and R1 at the same time... i dont like having 2 fingers up at the top part so i gotta do it with 1 finger, and its gonna take some getting used to, haha...

is yours different? because there is no R1 and R2 for receiver options now... for me, they are black and white now... maybe i accidentally tweeked the configuration...

PressCoverage
08-09-2005, 08:11 AM
Intentionally posting a thread in the wrong forum to "get some play" is not alright. It causes more work for the Mods and clutters up the main forum.

I really wish people would stop doing it.

wow...

my mistake... geez

arsenal
08-09-2005, 08:19 AM
is yours different? because there is no R1 and R2 for receiver options now... for me, they are black and white now... maybe i accidentally tweeked the configuration...

i got ps2...

Motion
08-09-2005, 10:03 AM
How well does the "Truck Stick" work???????

arsenal
08-09-2005, 10:37 AM
worked goodfor me and ronnie brown... cornerbacks ahd trouble taking his big *** down when you used the truck stick... just press it before you see the tackle coming and your guy will punish the defender... i like it

Scrap
08-09-2005, 11:52 AM
Getting it today. You guys are getting me more excited about it.

Update: I went out and got it at lunch. Now I have to stand through the torture of waiting 4 hours to go home and play it. To top it off, I brought in the manual, which will only serve to tease me more. :) :confused:

Tar Phin
08-09-2005, 12:37 PM
I just bought it on my lunch break but haven't been able to play yet. Cough, cough... I feel like I am coming down with something. I might have to go home early ;)

tucker
08-09-2005, 12:50 PM
its about the same as 2004 which is bad, so if you liked 2004 you will like this, if you are like me and didnt like 2004 pass on this and wait for the next generation game

Jt0323
08-09-2005, 01:12 PM
its about the same as 2004 which is bad, so if you liked 2004 you will like this, if you are like me and didnt like 2004 pass on this and wait for the next generation game

what are u talking about? 2004 was one of the best madden, imo much better than 05,

Scrap
08-09-2005, 02:30 PM
I just bought it on my lunch break but haven't been able to play yet. Cough, cough... I feel like I am coming down with something. I might have to go home early ;)Must be something going around. I'm feeling kind of light headed myself.

thecoordinator
08-09-2005, 02:53 PM
madden 06. the year of the "vs cpu" franchise. thats about all this game is worth. once vg sports puts out their nano blitz defensive crap, playing online will be worthless. the passing cone completely ruined the game. if you dont have a qb like manning or brady with a passing cone which is the entire field, forget it...ea sports comes through yet again....

Scrap
08-09-2005, 03:29 PM
Those who get used to playing with crappy QB, will probably be better at the game.

nighttrain76
08-09-2005, 03:45 PM
I just bought it on my lunch break but haven't been able to play yet. Cough, cough... I feel like I am coming down with something. I might have to go home early ;)

Damn!!!! Me too. I feel a couple days of sick leave coming..

FinsNCanes
08-09-2005, 09:15 PM
Passing doesn't really seem that different. I hardly use the cone and hardly threw ints (played for like 3 hours total).

Prime
08-09-2005, 09:38 PM
I still can't get down path that damn quick vision. I get sacked just about everytime, or i throw it too low for the WR. But i guess the more practice i get, the more better i will become with it. It's pretty easy using a really good QB like Manning, but it sucks will Feeley and Ferrote.

iDolFan
08-09-2005, 10:11 PM
Why in God's name did they change the bloddy buttons?!??!?!!?!? On 05', I have like a 1326-355 record......and now im like 2-5 with this new crap!!! :fire:

man wtf????:yell:

I haven't even started playing the new features yet? i.e. QB vision, and I heard thats hard as S***. so far, not impressed:mad:

edit: they didn't change the buttons too bad, but still.....im used to having the defense's turbo with the "circle" button, now its "X" button. If i try to use the circle button, it just changes players:fire:

34dontlosethat#
08-09-2005, 10:33 PM
What would you guys rate Ricky?:bong:

kastofsna120
08-09-2005, 11:01 PM
madden 06. the year of the "vs cpu" franchise. thats about all this game is worth. once vg sports puts out their nano blitz defensive crap, playing online will be worthless. the passing cone completely ruined the game. if you dont have a qb like manning or brady with a passing cone which is the entire field, forget it...ea sports comes through yet again....
just turn the vision thing off, sheesh....not that hard

Bobby Humphrey
08-09-2005, 11:16 PM
Must be something going around. I'm feeling kind of light headed myself.

i too felt sick today ....

AZStryker
08-09-2005, 11:42 PM

When hasn't playing online been worthless??? Come one, nothing but cheaters anyway, or at leas thats what people have said. How sad is that BTW, going online and cheating to win a video game. Plus madden is a simulation game and thus should be played against the comp. If you want an arcade football game wiht big plays and high scores, I hear NFL street calling ya!

As far as the passing cone goes, there are running play too you know. You don't have to pass EVERY down. Mix it up and learn as you go. Or go to the practice option if you don't want to mess up a season.

As far as I'm concerned, the dolphins are going to struggle then finish the season strong. So struggling now only makes it much more realistic.

AZStryker
08-09-2005, 11:45 PM
I have like a 1326-355 record

Wow, definitely NOT someting to brag about!

nighttrain76
08-09-2005, 11:50 PM
Ronnie Brown is a beast!!!! I can't pass worth sh**!!! I hate to turn it off but this cone business sucks. I got my a@$ kicked 3 times in a row. Brown is avg about 80 yd per game and AJ is avg about 10 sacks per game and about 4 ints!!!!

Prime Time
08-09-2005, 11:54 PM
Damn I have the cone thing done. I guess its really hard for some and simple for others..

Dolfan99847
08-10-2005, 12:03 AM
is any body playing the superstar mode its really fun and interseting i imported my RB from ncaa 06 and i got drafted 2nd round pick 1 by the 49ers :down: :shootself i eventually will be a starter seeing as kevin brawlow is my only compotetion and he like me is rated 84 ovr its hard tho because you have to practice every time or else your guys rating drops.Well im just in my 1st preseason game hoping the `9ers will trade me some where else

PressCoverage
08-10-2005, 12:26 AM
i can't stand the off-the-field fantasy crap.... i just wish they'd save that memory for improving the X's and O's....

anyhow, you can configure the buttons to match '05, hardcore, or NFL street configurations... and you CAN TURN THE PASSING CONE OFF!

hello? this thing on?

unifiedtheory
08-10-2005, 02:35 AM
Why in God's name did they change the bloddy buttons?!??!?!!?!? On 05', I have like a 1326-355 record......and now im like 2-5 with this new crap!!! :fire:

man wtf????:yell:

I haven't even started playing the new features yet? i.e. QB vision, and I heard thats hard as S***. so far, not impressed:mad:

edit: they didn't change the buttons too bad, but still.....im used to having the defense's turbo with the "circle" button, now its "X" button. If i try to use the circle button, it just changes players:fire:

The defense thing drove me up the wall....UNTIL I went to "controller layout" and changed the control to "Madden '05"....then it is all the same as last year...

I also turned off the passing cone thing....to much stuff on the screen when that is on...and too many damn buttons to press.

DonShula84
08-10-2005, 03:00 AM
The controller thing was annoying me also, thanks for the tip unified. Passing seems pretty easy, though sometimes when im trying to move the cone to R1 it is hard, or I pause for a bit and get sacked. Once I get used to switching it quickly I think it will be fine. Im going to try to use the joystick instead of holding R2, might be easier. Ronnie Brown is a beast. The game doesnt feel that much different than 05, just have to get used to the passing thing, and some new options while running the ball. I havent tried a franchise yet, I wait for the updated rosters

Wagon Circler
08-10-2005, 05:37 AM
I picked it up today and I felt two different things.

1) Wow this looks great, could turn out to be very fun.

2) Frustration

I played against the texans tonight, and I was very, very annoyed. I had zero pass rush against the texans horrible line, and yet, I found myself running for my life trying to operate the passing system and got sacked more often than not.

I played about 3 or 4 games today and I, nor the computer had one punt return, it was just fair catch, after fair catch, after fair catch.

My biggest gripe about the game is the pass rush. It seems like no matter how many people you send on a blitz, they all just get jumbled up at the line and nothing happens. Nothing will drive you crazy faster than this.

The thing I like the most about the game is the truck stick feature.

This is my first Madden game since '02 which I had on gamecube. I bought '06 on xbox, so that makes everything even more difficult. Hopefully, as I get used to the new control and the new game, I will enjoy the game more than I am right now. As for right now, when I play, all I see is red from anger. :fire:

UCFinfan86
08-10-2005, 06:34 AM
I played about 3 or 4 games today and I, nor the computer had one punt return, it was just fair catch, after fair catch, after fair catch.

Try Punt Block Return, b/c the computer changes their formation to protect it and it doesn't give them time to get downfield. Also take like a DE or LB from the middle of the line and bring them back infront of your KR and have them be an extra blocker for you.

armyfinfan
08-10-2005, 07:04 AM
I like the game and also the qb vision it makes the game harder. However I have been unable to take my safeties from zone coverage and double team a reciever. In 2005 you could double a reciever and put the safety on bump and run coverage as well. Has anybody been able to do this?

arsenal
08-10-2005, 08:02 AM
i love the passing cone, makes it more difficult and i like a challenege... also looking off safeties really helps... and do like i did practice with the smallest cone guys (aka AJ feeley) haha and once you learn with one that small a bigger one is a piece of cake...

dolfanattic5
08-10-2005, 12:36 PM
i already am 3-1 and playing on all madden very easy

Pagan
08-10-2005, 01:04 PM
Imported my player from NFL Street 2....was a white guy with long brown hair.

Superstar mode turned him into a black guy with blonde cornrows.

WTF?

byroan
08-10-2005, 01:14 PM
Imported my player from NFL Street 2....was a white guy with long brown hair.

Superstar mode turned him into a black guy with blonde cornrows.

WTF?

:lol: I had the same problem with College/NBA basketball. I don't know why but importing players wasn't a good idea.

Phin-o-rama
08-10-2005, 02:18 PM
can you turn off the passing cone for online play?

Jt0323
08-10-2005, 02:36 PM
can you turn off the passing cone for online play?
nope, olny for non rank games

Phin-o-rama
08-10-2005, 02:57 PM
nope, olny for non rank games

i see...well ima have to learn it well then. :)

im doing fine so far, thank god i can run the ball with RW and RB...if either one of those guys gets open field its a TD!!! wooot

washFin84
08-10-2005, 03:06 PM
madden 06. the year of the "vs cpu" franchise. thats about all this game is worth. once vg sports puts out their nano blitz defensive crap, playing online will be worthless. the passing cone completely ruined the game. if you dont have a qb like manning or brady with a passing cone which is the entire field, forget it...ea sports comes through yet again....Speak for yourself. I like the vision. You can look off receivers. Also I do not mind using Feeley or Ferrotte just because they have small cones. I still used the Dolphins in 05 and their accuracy was not at all very good. I can make do. My friend last night and I played online. I get on the fins and he is a 9ers fan. But he never uses the 9ers even in 05. I ask him who he is going to be and he says "the iggles" I laughed at his a$$ he has never used them before, ever ever. He was nervous to play against me for a loss with a sh!t QB. He wanted to use McNabb with a larger vision and he can run. Comon I said use a team that you like. In 05 he used the skins a lot because of Lav. Coles. I said why not be the 9ers with A. Smith he says "No" :lol: Why I said because we are comparable ratings. He ended up trying to use Bulger and Rams but I spanked him anyways. Daniels did exceptional guarding Bruce. I haven't used Manning Favre or Brady, but don't let that be the deciding factor whether you like the vision or not or if you will play or not. Well enough of my rambling.

PressCoverage
08-11-2005, 01:47 AM
i must say... in franchise mode, i really, really, REALLY like the "total control simulation"... set the quarters to 15 min., gameplan for your opponent before you start the week... then manually pick the plays... the end stats are incredibly accurate, and you can hop into the live game (or back to simulation) at any point...

great stuff..

in camp, i traded Booker to the Rams for some CB help, getting Jerametrius Butler... played week one, mostly via TCS... lost to Denver 21-13... what was cool though was seeing the sacks pile up in the second half after Denver lost 2 linemen to injuries... makes me believe it's not just crunching numbers without taking into account who's on the field...

Mare missed from 45 yards in the fourth... :(

Motion
08-11-2005, 08:18 AM
Hmmmmmm.... Playing in Superstar mode with the Titans. First game, I wipe the floor with the Falcons 56-7 then second game, I win a tight one with the Niners 24-21. WTF???

Motion
08-11-2005, 08:18 AM
Anyone else notice how goofy the players look jogging/gliding back to the huddle after plays.

Motion
08-11-2005, 08:53 AM
Not sure if any of you guys figured this out but an easy way to use the passing cone is when you come up to the line hold R2 to show the routes and push the button of the receiver you want to go too, turning his route orange. If you do that, as soon as you hike the ball your QB will be looking at him right away. However, if you do it too much with the same WR they will start to double cover that WR.

nick1
08-11-2005, 10:46 AM
I like it but it took some getting used to as far as the passing went, I threw like 4 INTs the first time I played :lol: