PDA

View Full Version : Review: Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition

JPhinfan86
08-12-2005, 05:04 AM
I'm going to post a series of reviews of some recent video game releases. I do work @ Rhino Video Games so I have exposure to these things whether it be borrowing games or buying (perks hehe) :lol:

Midnight Club 3 is truly a gem (note: one of my purchases btw). :rocker: This game has it all.....fast paced-racing, amazing customization and some fantastic graphics. At first the shiny look of every street annoyed me but I quickly got used to it and started to focus on the more finely-tuned aspects. Namely, the vehicles!!! Also I thought the sparks of lightposts was a nice touch. The customization has got to be the deepest i've EVER seen in a racing game. I like how the game mixes up the racing between ordered races and 'you chose your path' races. The latter sounds confusing and it is until you've restarted about 3 times....then it becomes a pattern. The cities are beautifully done...especially Atlanta.

Cons include the soundtrack (at times). I'm a rocker so constantly listening to rap and R&B gets quite freakin' annoying. I can stand some of it but constantly is a bit much. Another major con is that fact that the police come exclusively after the player and d@mn near never pursue the A.I. competition. Another thing I felt was a step back from past M.C. games was the fact that not one of the drivers in this game was given a face. For those of you loyal to the series (as I am myself), Midnight Club II showed a little piece before each race where your main competitor would say something in their inner-monologue then out loud. These gave them 1.) A face to the voice and 2.) It helped develop a personality. M.C. III failed to recreate that sense of street rivalry.

If anyone has anything to add jump to it but I must say that this game gets an 8.6 out of 10 in the racing category. I'm a pretty rough judge of games so I hope my opinion is respectable.

UltraDol-Fan
08-12-2005, 09:48 AM
To give me a better feel for your rankings, what do you rank Forza?

JPhinfan86
08-13-2005, 05:51 AM
I certainly feel Forza ranks higher than Gran Turismo 4. The damage physics are genious and its something i've felt GT has lacked big time. You can't claim to have created the ultimate driving sim yet leave out the ability to damage your vehicle. As for Forza, the control is fantastic, however I must say I can't claim i've played it to the fullest. Mainly because I dont have a racing-wheel for XBOX. I just don't fully enjoy (get immersed in) racing games until i've played with a high quality wheel. Even at that I still rank Forza a 9.6 out of 10. Yes, it really is THAT good. :lol: