PDA

View Full Version : Portis

nick1
08-17-2005, 01:11 PM
how do you guys think Portis will do this year? he always gets at least 1300+ yards but his TDs were down from the years he was in Denver

NYinBostonFin
08-17-2005, 01:15 PM
He will do better than last year. Gibbs is learning how to use his skills more. (bouncing him to the outside instead of mostly up the middle) He is a solid fantasy RB as long as he stays healthy. Expect his numbers to be a little better than last year.

DolfanDaveInATX
08-17-2005, 01:15 PM
Portis was still on the board when I drafted in the middle of the second round. He was not on the board after I drafted.

His numbers were down last year because Washington's offensive line was bad and Joe Gibbs was using him incorrectly -- pounding him between the tackles instead of letting him attack the edges. Portis has gained weight to be stronger running inside, but I expect Gibbs will also tweak his offense to play to Portis' strengths.

I think 1400 yards and 10 TDs is realistic for Portis this year.

nick1
08-17-2005, 01:38 PM
just asking because I picked him first in my keepers league. P.Manning, D.Culpepper, D.McNabb, L.Tomlinson, P.Holmes, S.Alexander, C.Dillion, D.McAllister, D.Davis, E.James, W.McGahee, A.Green, J.Lewis and T.Barber among alot of others were already gone so I figure it was a good choice taking Portis

T tes
08-17-2005, 06:57 PM
He will do better than last year. Gibbs is learning how to use his skills more. (bouncing him to the outside instead of mostly up the middle) He is a solid fantasy RB as long as he stays healthy. Expect his numbers to be a little better than last year.Good because I have him and Priest on a team and I was worried if Portis wouldnt produce.

nick1
08-17-2005, 09:58 PM
I don't wanta make a whole new thread about this so who would you take? Lamont Jordon, Fred Taylor, Curtis Martin, Tatum Bell or Chad Johnson?

THOMAS_54
08-17-2005, 10:40 PM
He'll do better with Jon Jansen back. I say 1200-1400.

tucker
08-17-2005, 11:11 PM
I don't wanta make a whole new thread about this so who would you take? Lamont Jordon, Fred Taylor, Curtis Martin, Tatum Bell or Chad Johnson?lamont will put up good #'s b/c of the wrs oakland has, so he will do quite well, Taylor will get hurt, martin wont last, Tatum has ALOT of potential but there are too many rbs in Denver, and Johnson imo, will have a break out yr

Kucha
08-18-2005, 10:29 AM
He'll be better this year, IMO. About 1300 to maybe 1400 yds and about 8-9 TD's rushing. He should also get a few receiving TD's too. It's too risky to have him as a #1 RB but outstanding as a second RB. He's only 205 lbs, so you can't expect him to pound it in there all the time...especially with their suspect O-Line and Gibbs preference for straight up smash-mouth running (he really should have traded for a bigger back).

Gibbs says he will utilize him differently than last year but his coaching last year seemed like something out of the 80s and I have doubts about how willing he is stick with his "new" playbook and not revert to his old if things start to turn sour for him. My guess is that he will get conservative again at some point in the season. My overall assessment is that he is a pretty good pick up in the second round (especially if he is the second RB you are picking) and a fantastic one in the third if he were somehow available (which he sholdn't).

DolfanDaveInATX
08-18-2005, 11:38 AM
I should also mention that Portis had put on some weight this offseason to hold up better on inside runs.

Kucha
08-18-2005, 11:59 AM
I should also mention that Portis had put on some weight this offseason to hold up better on inside runs.

Well, that's good news. He really needed it.

nick1
08-18-2005, 05:21 PM
another question, what do you guys think about the rookie RBs? will Arrington be any good?