PDA

View Full Version : Opening up Ports on your Modem

Nappy Roots
09-15-2005, 02:54 PM
anyone know how to do it? i cant play Online until i do. Any help would be greatly appreciated....

narco
09-15-2005, 03:09 PM
It depends of your modem. If it's a router one, then post the model and i'll try to help you. If you don't have a router modem, then you'll have to open ports on the firewall of your PC, so post the name of the firewall software you use ( for example : Kerio firewall, zoneAlarm, or the windows firewall, etc ... )

Nappy Roots
09-15-2005, 03:15 PM
It depends of your modem. If it's a router one, then post the model and i'll try to help you. If you don't have a router modem, then you'll have to open ports on the firewall of your PC, so post the name of the firewall software you use ( for example : Kerio firewall, zoneAlarm, or the windows firewall, etc ... )

well its not a router one, but why would a firewall on my PC prevent me from connecting with my playstation?

but as far as i know im just using the regular windows firewall.

narco
09-15-2005, 03:24 PM
Well, you didn't wrote on what system you are playing, and as i play on PC, i too quickly supposed you play on PC too. Sorry. So you have your playstation connected directly on your modem ? with an ethernet connection ? Can you explain the topology of your little network please, and the name of your modem ?

Nappy Roots
09-15-2005, 03:40 PM
Well, you didn't wrote on what system you are playing, and as i play on PC, i too quickly supposed you play on PC too. Sorry. So you have your playstation connected directly on your modem ? with an ethernet connection ? Can you explain the topology of your little network please, and the name of your modem ?

ohh yea sorry i didnt even think about that. yea i got it directly connected to ethernet modem. the name of my modem is Westell Wirespeed. i dont know what you mean by topology, but i have the ethernet cable from the modem to the playstation, and the regular line from the modem, to the wall jack.

byroan
09-15-2005, 03:44 PM
What model number of the Westell Wirespeed is it?

Nappy Roots
09-15-2005, 03:52 PM
What model number of the Westell Wirespeed is it?

well on the bottom it says

Model: a90-210015-04

byroan
09-15-2005, 03:58 PM
More than likely, your modem has a built in router. Type in http://192.168.1.1 in your browser and see if a page loads.

Nappy Roots
09-15-2005, 04:01 PM
More than likely, your modem has a built in router. Type in http://192.168.1.1 (http://192.168.1.1/) in your browser and see if a page loads.

The page cannot be displayed

what does it all mean byroan? what does it all mean?:cry:

byroan
09-15-2005, 04:02 PM
:lol: Ok, try http://192.168.100.1/ instead. See if that works.

Nappy Roots
09-15-2005, 04:03 PM
:lol: Ok, try http://192.168.100.1/ instead. See if that works.

nope same thing.

byroan
09-15-2005, 04:09 PM
I'm not sure then. The first link should have worked. Send an e-mail to your ISP and tell them you can't use your system online. They'll tell you how to open the ports.

narco
09-15-2005, 04:10 PM
it seems that a90-210015-04 stands for the Westell 2110 which is a custom modem manufactured for Verizon, without the router mode. so you won't be able to configure it with 192.168.1.1 or whatever address. In fact you are not able to configure it at all. it's a bridge modem, that means that your playstation should be connected directly to the internet.

That's why i don't understand why you can't play online, because no configuration is needed in your case. Are you sure ths ports are the problem ?

narco
09-15-2005, 04:14 PM
btw this modem brand is quite unknown in France, so i don't really know it. But if it's a bridge modem ( and i'm sure at 95% about that ), you don't need to configure it. Have you try to play another game online ?

byroan
09-15-2005, 04:17 PM
If it is a bridge modem, then it should already work. What errors are you getting on the ps2?

Nappy Roots
09-15-2005, 04:17 PM
it seems that a90-210015-04 stands for the Westell 2110 which is a custom modem manufactured for Verizon, without the router mode. so you won't be able to configure it with 192.168.1.1 or whatever address. In fact you are not able to configure it at all. it's a bridge modem, that means that your playstation should be connected directly to the internet.

That's why i don't understand why you can't play online, because no configuration is needed in your case. Are you sure ths ports are the problem ?

no, no im not. Its giving me a Network Error (-603) when the DNAS is trying to connect. i called playstation, they said theres something blocking me from connection, that either my internet provider has a firewall blocking(which they arent), or i need to open up some ports.

Nappy Roots
09-15-2005, 04:18 PM
btw this modem brand is quite unknown in France, so i don't really know it. But if it's a bridge modem ( and i'm sure at 95% about that ), you don't need to configure it. Have you try to play another game online ?

yea i have. same thing is happening.

Network Error(-603)

Nappy Roots
09-15-2005, 04:18 PM
I'm not sure then. The first link should have worked. Send an e-mail to your ISP and tell them you can't use your system online. They'll tell you how to open the ports.

how do i send an email to my ISP?

byroan
09-15-2005, 04:20 PM
how do i send an email to my ISP?

Is it Verizon? If so, use this page: http://www22.verizon.com/foryourhome/ContactUs/Contactus_email_form.asp

narco
09-15-2005, 05:01 PM
i'm sorry i can't help you more because i don't have a playstation so i don't really know how it works. One sure thing is that it's not a problem of open port on your modem. Try calling your ISP or sony again to have more details on that issue. I hope i helped you a little.

Nappy Roots
09-15-2005, 10:09 PM
Yea, definitly, thanks for trying to help fellas!

narco
09-16-2005, 08:16 AM
I just think something. Some modem have to be restarted when you change the device plugged to it. When you want to play online, you plug out your pc and plug in your playstation, am i right ? Try to restart your modem after you plugged your playstation. Because with some modem, it can work with a device A, then it cannot with a device B, and then work again with the device A, so that you think all is working properly when you plugged back the device A, but in fact device B is not connected.

Nappy Roots
09-16-2005, 11:17 AM
I just think something. Some modem have to be restarted when you change the device plugged to it. When you want to play online, you plug out your pc and plug in your playstation, am i right ? Try to restart your modem after you plugged your playstation. Because with some modem, it can work with a device A, then it cannot with a device B, and then work again with the device A, so that you think all is working properly when you plugged back the device A, but in fact device B is not connected.

yup, i tried that.