PDA

View Full Version : Attention New and Old Posters Alike! READ ME!

FinHeavenAJ
09-20-2005, 04:54 PM
Alright posters,

I know we're all so eager to post the latest and greatest idea that pops into our head and IMMEDIATELY post it on FinHeaven, but please... for the sake of the site and the Miami Dolphins... take a minute or two and THINK!

After the Jets game, I understand that many people here are upset and are calling players out or whatever. This is a Miami Dolphins forum and is in existance for you to talk about the Miami Dolphins and other things in that respective forum.

However, these junky, worthless threads and posts will not be tolerated. I've seen posts that say "Dan Marino was a bust" with a "j/k" as the post content. I understand that you may think Ronnie Brown stinks, but please join the thread that has already been created to discuss that topic.

So, the basis of this post is basically this:

THINK before you post a new thread or reply
LOOK for a thread that has been created to see if it's similar to the one you are thinking about. If it has been created, reply to that thread. Do not create a new thread - it will be merged!
THINK again before you post - does it really need a thread...?
Members that seemingly make a conscious effort to lower the quality of FinHeaven & Co will be warned and possibly banned.

Lastly, I want to make it clear that I am not, in any way, saying that "negative threads" aren't worthy or shouldn't be posted. Negative posts contribute to the forums, however, there is a borderline. "I believe the Dolphins won't do well... here is why [with a few validating examples]" is better than "WE SUCK! #@$#@()$&*@&$)@".

We are not interested in restricting your posting of what you legitimately and honestly think or feel about our team. However, we also have a responsibility to this site and its members to maintain an acceptable level of quality. We feel that this level has been lowered recently, sometimes through simple lack of courtesy, sometimes deliberately and by design.

In any case, difficult as it is, a distinction must be drawn, and we will do it to keep this site the best Miami Dolphins fan site out there. Feel free to PM us (FinHeavenAJ, Muck, WharfRat) your constructive thoughts regarding our efforts, but please know that we are resolved to improve the site and will do our best to accomplish that.

backpacker
09-20-2005, 04:58 PM
Wow...this is one of the biggest burns I've ever seen in my life. This is like a super-duper burn....:D Anyways, thank you AJ for addressing the issue.

larfo2224
09-20-2005, 04:59 PM
Amen brother.

Jt0323
09-20-2005, 05:00 PM
nice post aj!

ether79
09-20-2005, 05:00 PM
Thank you for addressing the issue AJ. I think you're being very reasonable about these threads and hopefully people will pay attention and respect to what you are saying.

SoDakDolfan
09-20-2005, 05:02 PM
Hooray! I am very pleased to see this.

SCall13
09-20-2005, 05:03 PM
Good post. It will be much nicer not to have to sift through all the threads that are basically being repeated over and over. I easily saw 50 Ronnie Brown threads after the game Sunday. Crazy.

Prime
09-20-2005, 05:03 PM
Thanks you AJ. Now we won't be seeing anymore of those worthless threads. :D

PHINSfan
09-20-2005, 05:04 PM
good post aj...and i agree with what you have to say

BSQX4
09-20-2005, 05:08 PM
Good work AJ. It had to be said. What about all these stupid polls?

poisonphin
09-20-2005, 05:19 PM
Thanks AJ!!

Motion
09-20-2005, 05:23 PM
Thanks

thedayafter
09-20-2005, 05:24 PM
I was drawn to this board because the members made sense and it was relatively self policing. I didn't always agree with POV's but at least the expectation was POV's were backed with articles or facts from various sources.

Lately I find I partcipate less because there is so much "clutter" on the board. Again I realize this is my POV but I have noticed a distinct change in quality since I first signed on.

I appreciate the fact you are trying to get this corrected and believe if everyone could just do their part the issue would start to correct itself.

I enjoy the format and hope things improve, I'll do my part.

SpurzN703
09-20-2005, 05:26 PM
Hopefully the downers will get the message :)

cnc66
09-20-2005, 05:30 PM
thanks AJ, please find my PM to you from several days ago.

DolphinsRkool99
09-20-2005, 05:43 PM
Thank you I was getting tired or all these ronnie brown is a bust threads thanks AJ

Dubfire
09-20-2005, 05:45 PM
:rawk:

AllianceCollect
09-20-2005, 05:55 PM
Double Amen! (Amen!)

jmm13-54
09-20-2005, 06:00 PM
Thank you AJ

:clap:

Nublar7
09-20-2005, 06:36 PM
:up:

finsnchips
09-20-2005, 06:47 PM
thanks AJ... unfortunately, it was needed.

Fin Fan in Cali
09-20-2005, 07:12 PM
:beerbang:

SuperBankz
09-20-2005, 07:22 PM
thank you so much I was getting to the point that i was felt shamed to be a Phin Fan and come here to read some of the crap that was being posted.... Heres to a more Quality Finheaven :beerbang: :beerbang:

VanDolPhan
09-20-2005, 07:29 PM
Thank you. Awaiting the follow through.

SanDiegoDolphan
09-20-2005, 07:30 PM
You know Im farily new to this board so forgive me for not toting the company line but what is it with you guys? A little power hungry. Now just wait a second and hear me out. You and the rest of the "Old" posters now have become obsessed with telling everyone else what is wrong with them now. While we are all complaining about the compliners no sports posts are being posted. And all due respect to the Webmaster, you do a heck of a job but the only posts you seem to make are threats to shut people down. Whos to say what is stupid and what isnt. If a post is stupid and no one replys what happens. It just goes away. But no, everyone has to plie on and spend thread after thread talking about how stupid the guy or his quote is and all that does is keep the posts alive. Its real strange if you ask me. But I know you didnt.

JTaylor99
09-20-2005, 07:32 PM
Amen.

Dol-Fan Dupree
09-20-2005, 07:40 PM
You know Im farily new to this board so forgive me for not toting the company line but what is it with you guys? A little power hungry. Now just wait a second and hear me out. You and the rest of the "Old" posters now have become obsessed with telling everyone else what is wrong with them now. While we are all complaining about the compliners no sports posts are being posted. And all due respect to the Webmaster, you do a heck of a job but the only posts you seem to make are threats to shut people down. Whos to say what is stupid and what isnt. If a post is stupid and no one replys what happens. It just goes away. But no, everyone has to plie on and spend thread after thread talking about how stupid the guy or his quote is and all that does is keep the posts alive. Its real strange if you ask me. But I know you didnt.

I think the best way to answer this is whoever owns and run this board. One of the problems is that people think they are free to do whatever you want on message boards just because they are on the internet. They tend to think that the internet is this magical freedom that no one owns and they deserve their right to free speech. In reality this here is the property of the people who run it and they should do it how they see fit.

Just like you say a post will disappear if what they are going to do is wrong a lot of the poster would disappear and maybe someone will make a "more free" site.

THhat is my opinion

South Florida
09-20-2005, 07:41 PM
I would like to personally apologize for my "Jason Taylor is a bust" thread from yesterday.

I did not put enough thought into it, as I didn't put enough thought into the "start Shridonya" thread.

The truth is that I'm just a product of two sarcastic parents and choose to express myself that way.

I will refrain from entertaining this site in the future, saving my threads for serious "good" topics.

Again, sorry.

John Biello
09-20-2005, 07:41 PM
thank god

NaboCane
09-20-2005, 07:52 PM
Thank you for standing up for the site, AJ.

The rest of us, let's do our part to take the site back by modeling the behavior we expect from others. I'm certainly not saying that we have to stop being funny or witty or sarcastic, just that if we think for a minute before posting - ESPECIALLY BEFORE STARTING A THREAD - we will improve our experience on the site.

This is my only online community; I choose to spend time here because I love the site, and because the staff and good members here are top-notch people whom I would hang out with in real life. I pledge to do my best to keep this community the best place to come for Miami Dolphins' news, information and discussion.

SanDiegoDolphan
09-20-2005, 07:56 PM
Dude, you caved! Why apologize. If you felt that way at the time then thats how you were feeling. If you changed your mind thats one thing but too apologize now because of all the preassure I dont know. Everyone is afraid of getting run out of here. Hey somtimes I think Boomer Esiason is a jerk and his opinions are stupid but I would defend his right to say them all day long. Just like your Jason Taylor post was probably done out of Disgust but thats what you were feeling at the time man. Dont apologize for that. I would never say that but thats just me.

catapano
09-20-2005, 07:59 PM
was wondering when someone was gonna say something, before the season started i was really enjoying reading the threads now i rarely make it past the first two sentences

DannyBoy13
09-20-2005, 08:07 PM
Thanks for addressing this issue. Visiting this site was beginning to become more irritating and less enjoyable.

Dolphin North
09-20-2005, 08:08 PM
Thank you. Someone said Marino was a bust???????????

SanDiegoDolphan
09-20-2005, 08:19 PM
:soapbox: :baghead:

South Florida
09-20-2005, 08:31 PM
Also, please read through a thread thoroughly, not just the opening passage, before you respond.

I fear many people become embarrassed because of this.

If you don't read all the way through and vehemently rip into the author of a thread, you may be setting yourself up for some serious ridicule.

However,

1 - You probably don't read all the posts and won't see yourself getting lit up.
2 - You probably wouldn't have registered the insults anyway.

inFINSible
09-20-2005, 08:32 PM
Thank you. Someone said Marino was a bust???????????
He is...in Canton.

Tim1958
09-20-2005, 08:57 PM
I am relatively new here and have pretty much refrained from starting new threads so far. I usually find a similar thread and respond to it. I appreciate your attempt to maintain a quality site. I have found it somewhat difficult to weed through some of the garbage. I was wondering if it would be too much trouble to PM those who start unacceptable or redundant threads when you merge or bounce them and tell them why the thread wasn't accceptable. Hopefully those who want to be good members and contributers will learn. Those who won't accept the sites quality standards can go elsewhere. Thanks for all the good work you and your staff do, I know it's difficult and time consuming. If ever you have a problem with anything I post I would WANT you to delete it and let me know what I did wrong so that it doesn't happen again. Looking forward to a lot of years as a Finheaven member.

Muck
09-20-2005, 08:58 PM
You know Im farily new to this board so forgive me for not toting the company line but what is it with you guys? A little power hungry.

"Power hungry"?? Dude, he owns the site. What power is there for him to aspire to?? :lol:

Now just wait a second and hear me out. You and the rest of the "Old" posters now have become obsessed with telling everyone else what is wrong with them now.

No. What we're obsessed with is maintaining and regaining the quality of this board. If someone takes that as a personal affront, well......I don't have to say much else now, do I.

While we are all complaining about the compliners no sports posts are being posted.

:hmmm:

And all due respect to the Webmaster, you do a heck of a job but the only posts you seem to make are threats to shut people down.

Not that he can't speak for himself or even asked me to butt in here, but A.J. goes to school full time, works full time, and then takes care of this site in his free time. I don't know if you've ever had a site this large, but it's not an easy thing to take care of. Especially with all the extra projects going on behind the scenes that few people know about yet (or will never know at all).

A.J. is the definition of Administrator. He's never been a frequent poster to begin with. But where does it say that he has to be?? Is he supposed to post just to post?? No. But now that you mention it, that's part of the problem we're facing around here.

Whos to say what is stupid and what isnt. If a post is stupid and no one replys what happens. It just goes away. But no, everyone has to plie on and spend thread after thread talking about how stupid the guy or his quote is and all that does is keep the posts alive.

It would be nice if everyone could just ignore poor posts. But we don't live in a perfect world. So moderation is required.

And if simply ignoring poor threads/posts isn't too much to ask, then not posting them in the first place shouldn't be either. After all, the ideal your championing is none other than commom sense.

Its real strange if you ask me. But I know you didnt.

Not really. But you're still free to express your opinion on the matter. :)

feelthepain
09-20-2005, 09:09 PM
Good effort and it has merrit, only problem...things will always be this way no matter how you beg. That's why I only read the reasonable threads, it cuts down on the ridiculous posts.

Fin Fan in Cali
09-20-2005, 09:12 PM
You know Im farily new to this board so forgive me for not toting the company line but what is it with you guys? A little power hungry. Now just wait a second and hear me out. You and the rest of the "Old" posters now have become obsessed with telling everyone else what is wrong with them now. While we are all complaining about the compliners no sports posts are being posted. And all due respect to the Webmaster, you do a heck of a job but the only posts you seem to make are threats to shut people down. Whos to say what is stupid and what isnt. If a post is stupid and no one replys what happens. It just goes away. But no, everyone has to plie on and spend thread after thread talking about how stupid the guy or his quote is and all that does is keep the posts alive. Its real strange if you ask me. But I know you didnt.Bro I am not kissing any butt here, but AJ has created an outstanding site which I greatly appreciate on a daily basis. He is just trying to keep this site one of the elite, and to not being dragged by meaniless posters at times. This is what sets Finheaven apart from other sites. The long time posters here, have become brotherin to each other here. We have each others back here, and we love our Dolphins. This is the way we want to keep this board, a great place to come and post and have your opinion respected!:beerbang:

arizphinfan
09-20-2005, 09:36 PM
Thanks AJ I was getting tired of all these "busted" threads! And people saying the same thing over & over again..:up:

NaboCane
09-20-2005, 10:04 PM
It would be nice if everyone could just ignore poor posts. But we don't live in a perfect world. So moderation is required.

And if simply ignoring poor threads/posts isn't too much to ask, then not posting them in the first place shouldn't be either. After all, the ideal your championing is none other than commom sense.

:up:

Zeke0123
09-20-2005, 10:13 PM
Also, please read through a thread thoroughly, not just the opening passage, before you respond.

I fear many people become embarrassed because of this.

If you don't read all the way through and vehemently rip into the author of a thread, you may be setting yourself up for some serious ridicule.

However,

1 - You probably don't read all the posts and won't see yourself getting lit up.
2 - You probably wouldn't have registered the insults anyway.I got your "JT bust" thread and Im and "old" timer around here .. I got a nice laugh out of it and completely got/enjoyed the sentament (sp) dont appologize for that...your posting was in response to what was bothering most of the "reasonable" members here at least thats mo.

phins17
09-20-2005, 10:25 PM
Thanks AJ, the site needed this.

Mr. Day
09-20-2005, 10:34 PM
OK. On a positive note, the Dolphins defense played their hearts out on Sunday, and no one can deny that. The Jets first scoring drive existed because of a nonsense pass interference penalty. I was at the game and saw the actual play and the replay. That was some home field advantage nonsense. For all intents and purposes, the defense held the Jets in check. When the offense comes around to match the skill level of the defense, the Dolphins will be a dangerous team, especially when the weather changes.

Y-TownPhinVet
09-20-2005, 10:51 PM
I don't always log in, but I hit this sight several times a day. I enjoy everyones opinion, but must admit, AJ is dead right with this thread! Keep up the good work to AJ and all the mods! :D

finswin56
09-20-2005, 10:57 PM
Thank you for restoring my faith.
I was hoping that you guys would not allow this to continue w/o speaking up.

TorontoFin
09-20-2005, 11:02 PM
well , first off I agree with every single point Aj made. Think, Look, and then think again. Absolutely. But hinting of banning people for being too negative, even if someone says the fins suck?? Wow, sounds a little like Pravda to me.
But hey, there's other sites if we don't like it, I know. Just seems like a mounting trend. One of your moderators arbitrarily closed a thread in the political forum not because it got offensive, not because of profanity, but because it got a little off topic. I've seen this more than a few times lately. I'm not b--tching or anything, just raising a red flag, and hope it's noted, that's all.

1crazy_finfan
09-20-2005, 11:07 PM
Thank you AJ...you run a great site and I would love to see it stay that way!! lol..:D

Zeke0123
09-20-2005, 11:08 PM
well , first off I agree with every single point Aj made. Think, Look, and then think again. Absolutely. But hinting of banning people for being too negative, even if someone says the fins suck?? Wow, sounds a little like Pravda to me.
But hey, there's other sites if we don't like it, I know. Just seems like a mounting trend. One of your moderators arbitrarily closed a thread in the political forum not because it got offensive, not because of profanity, but because it got a little off topic. I've seen this more than a few times lately. I'm not b--tching or anything, just raising a red flag, and hope it's noted, that's all.jmo but I think when things get a little out of control you have to pull the reigns (sp) a little tighter than you would like to get things back in order.

BrazForPhins
09-20-2005, 11:29 PM
nice..things here were getting out of control. I think the main problem were many many threads with the same subject..It makes you run out of patience!:yell:
I'll be traveling some days, hope things get back to normal until sunday..
great post,thanks AJ

whatsburning
09-20-2005, 11:45 PM
Finally, an administrative order! I was waiting for this to happen. Thanks for recognizing this issue!

Omaha_Dolfan
09-21-2005, 12:32 AM
I just have one question? Why isnt this posted stuck on the top of the board?

Gonzo
09-21-2005, 01:06 AM
But hey, there's other sites if we don't like it, I know. Just seems like a mounting trend. One of your moderators arbitrarily closed a thread in the political forum not because it got offensive, not because of profanity, but because it got a little off topic. I've seen this more than a few times lately. I'm not b--tching or anything, just raising a red flag, and hope it's noted, that's all.

He didn't even hint at that from what I saw. What I read stated that there was nothing wrong with posting negative threads, as long as it wasn't simply ranting REPEATEDLY. Even ranting wasn't a huge deal becuase it is pretty commonplace on any fan site I have ever been on after a loss. But I have never seen it get as bad as it does here. They flood the list so I have to go through a couple of pages of topics just to get to one with any substance (positive or negative). Then, if you refute what little evidence they actually include, you are immediately labeled a "homer." Actually, this last thing makes absolutely no sense to me as a response to someone defending the team after a loss. Back in da hood, that was always someone that rooted for the home team only when they were winning, so that would make the fanatics (week 1) turn ranters (week 2) the "homers." Regardless, there's no need for name calling in the first place, and that goes both ways, but homer is BY FAR the most tossed around one.

Back to the point; repeat, ranting, "so and so sucks," threads and the posters that make them are a nusiance and keep others from being heard. Don't like Ronnie? Post in the already made thread on the subject. Why waste our time and block truly new threads with something that is already out there? Its a total disregard for the TOS. Don't agree with those? Then how did you sign up? You have to agree to them before joining. If you didn't read them, thats your bad. Why should the other members suffer?

I don't mean you personally TorontoFin. By the way and totally off topic (not worth starting a thread about it in the main forum :lol: ), love your city. Looking into going to U of T for grad school. Taste of the Danforth :drool:, Jazz Festival, and Film festival are my favorites. Those wind tunnels or whatever they are suck something fierce though.

byroan
09-21-2005, 01:07 AM
I just have one question? Why isnt this posted stuck on the top of the board?

It is stickied...

Wildbill3
09-21-2005, 02:02 AM
But hey, there's other sites if we don't like it, I know. Just seems like a mounting trend. One of your moderators arbitrarily closed a thread in the political forum not because it got offensive, not because of profanity, but because it got a little off topic. I've seen this more than a few times lately. I'm not b--tching or anything, just raising a red flag, and hope it's noted, that's all.Which thread? I am willing to guarantee that it had something else wrong with it that you don't know about.

unifiedtheory
09-21-2005, 02:54 AM
You know Im farily new to this board so forgive me for not toting the company line but what is it with you guys? A little power hungry.

Learn how much work it takes to run a website this size...then start it, maintain it and bust your hump the ENTIRE time...

Do all that and then see people coming to the message board deluging it with nonsense threads and tell me you would'nt want to put a stop to it.

All A.J. is doing is trying to get the message board under control...he owns it. If he wanted to he could just start kicking people.

Now just wait a second and hear me out. You and the rest of the "Old" posters now have become obsessed with telling everyone else what is wrong with them now.

The "Old" posters have helped build this site. No one gets any loot from this, it is a labour of love.

I am a VERY small part of this community and I have watched the message board get worse over the last little while. I know what this board is like when the conversation is intelligent and the threads are well thought through...and I want it to return to that.

And all due respect to the Webmaster, you do a heck of a job but the only posts you seem to make are threats to shut people down.

A.J. contributes all the time in the VIP forum. Not as often as he would like to I am sure but, HE IS BUSY RUNNING THIS SITE!

I've said it many occasions, people that don't do Webmastering, design, development or maintenance have ZERO clue about how much work goes into keeping a site this large, with this many members up to date and under control...

Whos to say what is stupid and what isnt.

No one is passing judgement on "what is stupid and what is'nt". All A.J. is trying to do is get some people to use COMMON SENSE. People, by nature, like attention. They want their views heard and addressed. That being said, is it a requirement that we have 20 threads going about Ronnie Brown?

I've been here for over a year now. I think I have started MAYBE 20 threads related to a football topic.

Why? Because I do not think I have to start a new thread about something when there is already one going.

If a post is stupid and no one replys what happens. It just goes away. But no, everyone has to plie on and spend thread after thread talking about how stupid the guy or his quote is and all that does is keep the posts alive. Its real strange if you ask me. But I know you didnt.

It's like a car crash...you have to look.

A.J. started this thread as a service. Some of the "Older " posters have been getting frustrated with the quality of the main board and he addressed the situation....something that SOME OF US are very thankful for and something he has EVERY right to do.

Wildbill3
09-21-2005, 04:11 AM
Learn how much work it takes to run a website this size...then start it, maintain it and bust your hump the ENTIRE time...

Do all that and then see people coming to the message board deluging it with nonsense threads and tell me you would'nt want to put a stop to it.

All A.J. is doing is trying to get the message board under control...he owns it. If he wanted to he could just start kicking people.

The "Old" posters have helped build this site. No one gets any loot from this, it is a labour of love.

I am a VERY small part of this community and I have watched the message board get worse over the last little while. I know what this board is like when the conversation is intelligent and the threads are well thought through...and I want it to return to that.

A.J. contributes all the time in the VIP forum. Not as often as he would like to I am sure but, HE IS BUSY RUNNING THIS SITE!

I've said it many occasions, people that don't do Webmastering, design, development or maintenance have ZERO clue about how much work goes into keeping a site this large, with this many members up to date and under control...

No one is passing judgement on "what is stupid and what is'nt". All A.J. is trying to do is get some people to use COMMON SENSE. People, by nature, like attention. They want their views heard and addressed. That being said, is it a requirement that we have 20 threads going about Ronnie Brown?

I've been here for over a year now. I think I have started MAYBE 20 threads related to a football topic.

Why? Because I do not think I have to start a new thread about something when there is already one going.

It's like a car crash...you have to look.

A.J. started this thread as a service. Some of the "Older " posters have been getting frustrated with the quality of the main board and he addressed the situation....something that SOME OF US are very thankful for and something he has EVERY right to do.:clap:

HysterikiLL
09-21-2005, 06:53 AM
Ronnie Brown is a bust.

:lol:

BlueFin
09-21-2005, 07:18 AM
I think its great, I also think you should consider a much higher post count before you allow threads to be created, alot of the junk comes from new members who are not acclimated yet to the ways of the board or from new trolls.

inFINSible
09-21-2005, 07:24 AM
I think its great, I also think you should consider a much higher post count before you allow threads to be created, alot of the junk comes from new members who are not acclimated yet to the ways of the board or from new trolls.
That sounds like a good idea but, in reality it might also serve to block the weekly visitors from other teams that come here to actually talk football.....

HelloMotto
09-21-2005, 07:37 AM
Bro I am not kissing any butt here, but AJ has created an outstanding site which I greatly appreciate on a daily basis. He is just trying to keep this site one of the elite, and to not being dragged by meaniless posters at times. This is what sets Finheaven apart from other sites. The long time posters here, have become brotherin to each other here. We have each others back here, and we love our Dolphins. This is the way we want to keep this board, a great place to come and post and have your opinion respected!:beerbang:

if you guys don't like the thread go to your special membership site and chat among yourself. if you don't like the thread don't respond and it will soon sink to the bottom. These post the last week have pizzed me off also, but you simply don't post and they disappear. you people have to have some restraint not to respond and tell these guys off. all opinions should be valued no matter how stupid they are. freedom of the press. just ignore......

SWS84
09-21-2005, 07:43 AM
Hear, hear AJ! Now that you are 21, I'll toast to you :drinkers: I'm on board and will try and do my part!

Steve

Muck
09-21-2005, 07:49 AM
freedom of the press.

Not really. This is a privately owned and operated entity. Ownership determines what's acceptable and what isn't.

Whitedolphin54
09-21-2005, 07:51 AM
Bout time AJ--nice post

thedayafter
09-21-2005, 08:03 AM
Not really. This is a privately owned and operated entity. Ownership determines what's acceptable and what isn't.

Bottom line......

BlueFin
09-21-2005, 08:09 AM
That sounds like a good idea but, in reality it might also serve to block the weekly visitors from other teams that come here to actually talk football.....

I understand your point, but couldn't fans from other teams simply post inside existing threads that will surely already be created discussing the coming weeks game?

HelloMotto
09-21-2005, 08:18 AM

yea your right, but if there came a point where thats how we actually felt about the site (within reason) (Ownership determines what's acceptable and what isn't) who would want to post anything. It would be a bunch of nerds patting each other on the back. its a thin line.

HelloMotto
09-21-2005, 08:20 AM
Bottom line......

yeah you heard him. i'm going to tell mom....all this butt kissing is making me ill. :lol:

DrAstroZoom
09-21-2005, 09:30 AM
A.J. Very nice post. Thanks for handling things in such a direct, yet professional manner.

PhinstiGator
09-21-2005, 09:32 AM
yea your right, but if there came a point where thats how we actually felt about the site (within reason) (Ownership determines what's acceptable and what isn't) who would want to post anything. It would be a bunch of nerds patting each other on the back. its a thin line.
Ownership has always determined what is acceptable and what is not on this site. And I might add, that the ownership has proven itself worthy of respect. The result is normally interesting discussion on both sides of the issues and there is no lack of posts.

It's a shame that the management had to step in at all and remind some folks to THINK and use a little self restraint. I guess it's too easy to FEEL than to think. Restraint is a good thing. A river without borders becomes a destructive flood.

BALLS DEEP
09-21-2005, 09:50 AM
Rock on!

tay0365
09-21-2005, 10:49 AM
Thanks Aj

Finsperfect72
09-21-2005, 11:03 AM
Bravo, AJ. I am a long-time, diehard Dolphins fan who isn't terribly knowledgeable about the intricacies of the game. That I readily admit. So I've come to appreciate this site because I usually learn a thing or three on a regular basis. The junk posters were beginning to overtake the site and stir up meaningless, useless 'conversation' that devovled into virtual shouting matches with no thought or care given to responses. Thanks to you and the Mods for your tireless policing of the site and to your commitment to excellence. That's the Dolphin way.

Gonzo
09-21-2005, 11:08 AM
yeah you heard him. i'm going to tell mom....all this butt kissing is making me ill. :lol:

It was only a matter of time until it became "butt-kissing." :rolleyes: Opinions are one thing, but posting them continuously and without much thought (if any at all) is a dumb thing to do on ANY forum or in any real life community. I don't see how asking people to think before starting a new thread is such a huge request.

But, if you want to stick to your "anti-establishment," "the man's holding me down" shtick, by all means, knock yourself out. Fight the power. Fight the powers that be. :lol:

HelloMotto
09-21-2005, 11:35 AM
Ownership has always determined what is acceptable and what is not on this site. And I might add, that the ownership has proven itself worthy of respect. The result is normally interesting discussion on both sides of the issues and there is no lack of posts.

It's a shame that the management had to step in at all and remind some folks to THINK and use a little self restraint. I guess it's too easy to FEEL than to think. Restraint is a good thing. A river without borders becomes a destructive flood.

yeah your right there has to be guidelines (within reason). i think this is all much ado over nothing. just ignore the threads and boom!!!! there gone.

HelloMotto
09-21-2005, 11:36 AM
It was only a matter of time until it became "butt-kissing." :rolleyes: Opinions are one thing, but posting them continuously and without much thought (if any at all) is a dumb thing to do on ANY forum or in any real life community. I don't see how asking people to think before starting a new thread is such a huge request.

But, if you want to stick to your "anti-establishment," "the man's holding me down" shtick, by all means, knock yourself out. Fight the power. Fight the powers that be. :lol:

ahh come on. you have to admit there is some butt kissing going on in this thread. but all opinions are valued. cut brown he's a bust :lol:

Megatron
09-21-2005, 11:42 AM
AJ you may want to give people some instructions on using the ignore list feature. It solves alot of headaches and most new members don't know where it is.

HelloMotto
09-21-2005, 11:44 AM
AJ you may want to give people some instructions on using the ignore list feature. It solves alot of headaches and most new members don't know where it is.

yeah year right. you should only hear what you want to hear. read what you want to read. king of your little world.

Megatron
09-21-2005, 11:52 AM
yeah year right. you should only hear what you want to hear. read what you want to read. king of your little world. No if you find that someone bothers you on here you can turn them off. I think you are mistaking the ignore feature as censorship, that seems to be what you're preaching from that soapbox of yours. The ignore feature is a way for members to perserve an enjoyable experience for themselves and as a bonus for everyone else. Because hostile cyber-battles dominate good threads and turn alot of people off, I'd actually praise the person that says enough of it and ignores the other.

HelloMotto
09-21-2005, 12:01 PM
No if you find that someone bothers you on here you can turn them off. I think you are mistaking the ignore feature as censorship, that seems to be what you're preaching from that soapbox of yours. The ignore feature is a way for members to perserve an enjoyable experience for themselves and as a bonus for everyone else. Because hostile cyber-battles dominate good threads and turn alot of people off, I'd actually praise the person that says enough of it and ignores the other.

if they were insulting or attacking that is against tos. they should be banned. If you ignore because they present a different point of view than what you agree with than that is censorship. I personally want the good and the bad. people need to be open minded no matter how stupid some of the threads are.

Gonzo
09-21-2005, 12:09 PM
yeah year right. you should only hear what you want to hear. read what you want to read. king of your little world.

Still on the shtick I see. Don't get me wrong, I see the appeal in being a "dissenter;" its very appealing to consider yourself along the likes MLK Jr., forefathers of the revolution, and whatnot. Unfortunately, this is just the internet, and a minute part of it to say the least. Personally, I think the perennial soapboxers are more annoying than the "butt-kissers." Especially when they dissent in a thread that is just telling people to think before starting a thread and make sure it isn't already posted. Why is that sooooo hard? He's not asking you to become the next St. Anthony or anything. Just think and search. Or vice versa.

The ignore feature is there to avoid conflicts that result in name calling, etc. It has less to do with opinion than with inappropriate behavior. With the number of people on this board, its impossible to avoid opinions you don't agree with it, it also makes it more likely that tempers will flare. It also avoids, somewhat, the chance that you will see someone that keeps starting a thread saying the same thing over and over and over and over....

Megatron
09-21-2005, 12:15 PM
if they were insulting or attacking that is against tos. they should be banned. If you ignore because they present a different point of view than what you agree with than that is censorship. I personally want the good and the bad. people need to be open minded no matter how stupid some of the threads are. But the line has to be drawn somewhere otherwise you end up with good threads getting buried in a deluge of " Brown SUX!!" threads. I have been on this site alot longer than most realise and at one time I would have been considered a "bad apple" for my views. But the board itself was always about good football talk and constructive viewpoints about the team. As time has passed I have realised that AJ, Muck, Wharfrat, Terry Tate, Njfinfan, Wildbill3 (not P4E, :tongue: ) etc. etc. are not into censoring people and are trying to make this site a great place to talk about Dolphins football. They're not "coming down on your beliefs" they are just trying to perserve a great DOLPHINS experience for their members. I mean this isn't a big shocker. The TOS lays out quite clearly what the rules of the site are. Do people take the time to read it?? Did you?? I know I didn't and I rubbed some of these guys the wrong way. But I have taken the time since and I agree that these are their rules but it is their site. This post by AJ is perfect timing because with the huge number of new members it's important to perserve the original purpose of the message board and not let it slip into chaos.

Gonzo
09-21-2005, 12:15 PM
if they were insulting or attacking that is against tos. they should be banned. If you ignore because they present a different point of view than what you agree with than that is censorship. I personally want the good and the bad. people need to be open minded no matter how stupid some of the threads are.

That is not censorship. That is not reading something that you don't want to read. The word censorship is thrown around too easily. Censorship is keeping others from hearing someone's views. It's removal and supression. If anything, ignoring people is only censoring yourself. If someone writes, "Ronnie is a bust!!1! We suck!!12 !@*(#R^#~!!" I won't read it because chances are great that it will be a waste of my time. Thats a time management decision, not a censorship or closeminded one.

dolphan117
09-21-2005, 12:31 PM
I got your "JT bust" thread and Im and "old" timer around here .. I got a nice laugh out of it and completely got/enjoyed the sentament (sp) dont appologize for that...your posting was in response to what was bothering most of the "reasonable" members here at least thats mo.

I agree. At the same time MANY, MANY thanks to AJ both for this thread and even more so you and the other mods for all the time you take even though you are busy with other things. I have no idea how you keep this sit up while working and going to school.:eek: Again thanks to all :up: .

HelloMotto
09-21-2005, 12:33 PM
That is not censorship. That is not reading something that you don't want to read. The word censorship is thrown around too easily. Censorship is keeping others from hearing someone's views. It's removal and supression. If anything, ignoring people is only censoring yourself. If someone writes, "Ronnie is a bust!!1! We suck!!12 !@*(#R^#~!!" I won't read it because chances are great that it will be a waste of my time. Thats a time management decision, not a censorship or closeminded one.

hey if you guys want to guy thru life with blinders on, more power to you. There was a bunch of stupid threads last week. Once people started to ignore them they all vanished. i believe no intervention is needed. I'm stepping off my soap box today. have a good day.

Megatron
09-21-2005, 12:34 PM
hey if you guys want to guy thru life with blinders on, more power to you. There was a bunch of stupid threads last week. Once people started to ignore them they all vanished. i believe no intervention is needed. I'm stepping off my soap box today. have a good day.Welcome to my ignore list............J/K. Ciao.

WharfRat
09-21-2005, 12:37 PM
I'm stepping off my soap box today.

:clap:

Megatron
09-21-2005, 12:38 PM
:clap::lol:

Gonzo
09-21-2005, 12:38 PM
hey if you guys want to guy thru life with blinders on, more power to you. There was a bunch of stupid threads last week. Once people started to ignore them they all vanished. i believe no intervention is needed. I'm stepping off my soap box today. have a good day.

So, because I don't agree with you I have "blinders on." Is that any relation to a "homer." Stellar rebuttal.

If the REPEAT "stupid" threads (I prefer "substance-less" threads) are not posted in the first place or at least posted in the thread on the same subject that no doubt already exists, then they wouldn't need to be ignored nor vanish.

HelloMotto
09-21-2005, 01:11 PM
Welcome to my ignore list............J/K. Ciao.

kool you already know everything. :lol:

HelloMotto
09-21-2005, 01:13 PM
So, because I don't agree with you I have "blinders on." Is that any relation to a "homer." Stellar rebuttal.

If the REPEAT "stupid" threads (I prefer "substance-less" threads) are not posted in the first place or at least posted in the thread on the same subject that no doubt already exists, then they wouldn't need to be ignored nor vanish.

if everybody agreed with everyone this would be a boring site. put me on your ignore list because you obviously know everything also. have a good life.

Dol-Fan Dupree
09-21-2005, 01:15 PM
if everybody agreed with everyone this would be a boring site. put me on your ignore list because you obviously know everything also. have a good life.

It is not about agreeing. It is more about creating a million threads without staying in the one thread that is dedicated to the subject. So instead of having the discussion in one thread, there are over 50 threads of the same subject. That is just annoying. It is extra annoying when the thread is nothing but, "Brown SUXXORS, OMG"

Megatron
09-21-2005, 01:18 PM
kool you already know everything. :lol:J/K means just kidding, not jerk.:lol:

HelloMotto
09-21-2005, 01:26 PM
J/K means just kidding, not jerk.:lol:

Ok, my bad. on another thread we had had a "respected" draft guru state that we should remove aol messenger type word abreviations from our threads and type in good plain english. WTF how will i swear without them. now look at the threads. most of the brown suxx threads are gone. a win this weekend will fix them for another week.

WharfRat
09-21-2005, 01:31 PM
most of the brown suxx threads are gone. .

due in part to the staff.

I guess you don't realize that two factors are at work here...

1:AJ's post (this very thread)
and
2: The fact that we have been moving/merging/deleting many of the "garbage threads"

;)

NJFINSFAN1
09-21-2005, 01:34 PM
Alright posters,

I know we're all so eager to post the latest and greatest idea that pops into our head and IMMEDIATELY post it on FinHeaven, but please... for the sake of the site and the Miami Dolphins... take a minute or two and THINK!

After the Jets game, I understand that many people here are upset and are calling players out or whatever. This is a Miami Dolphins forum and is in existance for you to talk about the Miami Dolphins and other things in that respective forum.

However, these junky, worthless threads and posts will not be tolerated. I've seen posts that say "Dan Marino was a bust" with a "j/k" as the post content. I understand that you may think Ronnie Brown stinks, but please join the thread that has already been created to discuss that topic.

So, the basis of this post is basically this:

THINK before you post a new thread or reply
LOOK for a thread that has been created to see if it's similar to the one you are thinking about. If it has been created, reply to that thread. Do not create a new thread - it will be merged!
THINK again before you post - does it really need a thread...?
Members that seemingly make a conscious effort to lower the quality of FinHeaven & Co will be warned and possibly banned.

Lastly, I want to make it clear that I am not, in any way, saying that "negative threads" aren't worthy or shouldn't be posted. Negative posts contribute to the forums, however, there is a borderline. "I believe the Dolphins won't do well... here is why [with a few validating examples]" is better than "WE SUCK! #@$#@()$&*@&$)@".

We are not interested in restricting your posting of what you legitimately and honestly think or feel about our team. However, we also have a responsibility to this site and its members to maintain an acceptable level of quality. We feel that this level has been lowered recently, sometimes through simple lack of courtesy, sometimes deliberately and by design.

In any case, difficult as it is, a distinction must be drawn, and we will do it to keep this site the best Miami Dolphins fan site out there. Feel free to PM us (FinHeavenAJ, Muck, WharfRat) your constructive thoughts regarding our efforts, but please know that we are resolved to improve the site and will do our best to accomplish that.

Somebody was negative????? :shakeno:

Good job AJ!;)

Megatron
09-21-2005, 01:36 PM

and
2: The fact that we have been moving/merging/deleting many of the "garbage threads"

;)Good work by the way.

HelloMotto
09-21-2005, 01:36 PM

and

;)

you tricky devils....... :lol: i think they are gone more in part to you guys removing them rather than the aj post. i sure won't miss them.

NJFINSFAN1
09-21-2005, 01:38 PM
you tricky devils....... :lol: i think they are gone more in part to you guys removing them rather than the aj post. i sure won't miss them.

That's why WharfRat makes the big bucks!:rolleyes:

WharfRat
09-21-2005, 01:53 PM
That's why WharfRat makes the big bucks!:rolleyes:

:spit:

he does? :huh:

NJFINSFAN1
09-21-2005, 01:57 PM
:spit:

he does? :huh:

They didn't tell you about your raise?:rolleyes:

WharfRat
09-21-2005, 01:59 PM
They didn't tell you about your raise?:rolleyes:

if it's a percentage raise.... I'm screwed!

15% x 0 = 0

:(

SanDiegoDolphan
09-21-2005, 02:15 PM
This is Freakin amazing to me! This has nothing to do with how nice a guy A.J. is or if he is doing a good job or not. It was a couple of stupid posts made by upset or drunk fans who were pissed off. If you don't reply they disappear FAST! But all the guys who like to hear themselves pontificate about how they are the most astute posters or how they have been here the longest and that makes their opinions correct and if you don't agree with their opinion then you must be banned from the board. Its like saying when you go to the game you can only cheer but you cant boo. You can only go to the stadium if you are wearing dolphins gear but if you are a fan of the visiting team you cant get in unless you take off your jets hat! And yes so many of you guys are afraid of getting banned that you all want to do some serious butt kissing (no offense A.J) but really........

SanDiegoDolphan
09-21-2005, 02:16 PM
:shakeno:

WharfRat
09-21-2005, 02:18 PM
This is Freakin amazing to me! This has nothing to do with how nice a guy A.J. is or if he is doing a good job or not. It was a couple of stupid posts made by upset or drunk fans who were pissed off. If you don't reply they disappear FAST! But all the guys who like to hear themselves pontificate about how they are the most astute posters or how they have been here the longest and that makes their opinions correct and if you don't agree with their opinion then you must be banned from the board. Its like saying when you go to the game you can only cheer but you cant boo. You can only go to the stadium if you are wearing dolphins gear but if you are a fan of the visiting team you cant get in unless you take off your jets hat! And yes so many of you guys are afraid of getting banned that you all want to do some serious butt kissing (no offense A.J) but really........

Oh please.... nobody has said that if you don't agree with an opinion, you should be banned.

this is not about opinions... it's about quality posts.

NJFINSFAN1
09-21-2005, 02:23 PM

:eek: :shakeno:

SanDiegoDolphan
09-21-2005, 02:29 PM
listen to that. It's not about opinions its about quality posts. Who is going to make that decision between Opinions and quality posts. Every post you make Im sure you feel is a quality post but others may disagree.

Megatron
09-21-2005, 02:30 PM
This is Freakin amazing to me! This has nothing to do with how nice a guy A.J. is or if he is doing a good job or not. It was a couple of stupid posts made by upset or drunk fans who were pissed off. If you don't reply they disappear FAST! But all the guys who like to hear themselves pontificate about how they are the most astute posters or how they have been here the longest and that makes their opinions correct and if you don't agree with their opinion then you must be banned from the board. Its like saying when you go to the game you can only cheer but you cant boo. You can only go to the stadium if you are wearing dolphins gear but if you are a fan of the visiting team you cant get in unless you take off your jets hat! And yes so many of you guys are afraid of getting banned that you all want to do some serious butt kissing (no offense A.J) but really........I've been banned, no fear here. All AJ was trying to say is to flesh out your arguements before starting a new thread. It's the knee jerk reaction threads that make the board volatile and it turns into a pissing match. It's a big " Hey look at me I think Mare sucks". I don't think anyone is going to ban anyone for having a different opinion on football, never seen it happen yet. But personal attacks, rude and offensive comments, avatars and sigs will get you a ban but not after multiple warnings in most cases. The trolls even get the same warnings even though it's clear they are trolling.

Megatron
09-21-2005, 02:34 PM
listen to that. It's not about opinions its about quality posts. Who is going to make that decision between Opinions and quality posts. Every post you make Im sure you feel is a quality post but others may disagree. I guess the mods will determine what threads are redundant or not. But you have to remember this is not your website, it's the Finheaven staffs website. Like many people have said if it's not to your liking then maybe it's time to find another site. I hope that's not the case but I would say if majority rules then the majority of Finheaven members would agree that it's time to clean things up a bit.

NJFINSFAN1
09-21-2005, 02:36 PM
listen to that. It's not about opinions its about quality posts. Who is going to make that decision between Opinions and quality posts. Every post you make Im sure you feel is a quality post but others may disagree.

If you were reading the past few days, you saw some insane posts!

Example
1. Brown is a bust? yeah, we can tell that after two games?

2. Trade AJ for take your pick (Harrington, Ramsey etc...).

It is insane, they don't state facts or opinions on why they feel that way, they just say it. If they would make an clear arguement on why they feel that way, without because! They would not have a problem. Put just posting Brown Suxs?

Infins is a great example, he backed AJ and still does, but he argues with facts and reasons why he feels that way. And as long as you explain yourself back to him, even if not agreeing, that's fine. But many people just post AJ Sux's.

I really don't think its that hard to figure out?

HelloMotto
09-21-2005, 02:37 PM
I've been banned, no fear here. All AJ was trying to say is to flesh out your arguements before starting a new thread. It's the knee jerk reaction threads that make the board volatile and it turns into a pissing match. It's a big " Hey look at me I think Mare sucks". I don't think anyone is going to ban anyone for having a different opinion on football, never seen it happen yet. But personal attacks, rude and offensive comments, avatars and sigs will get you a ban but not after multiple warnings in most cases. The trolls even get the same warnings even though it's clear they are trolling.

how in the he!! did someone with jesus in there post get banned. you must have reformed. :lol:

NJFINSFAN1
09-21-2005, 02:39 PM
how in the he!! did someone with jesus in there post get banned. you must have reformed. :lol:

He found Jesus after the ban! All is right now!:rolleyes:

SanDiegoDolphan
09-21-2005, 02:42 PM
Oh well, I guess we beat this subject to death! I say deep six this thread so we can Focus on The Panthers. Cheers!

WharfRat
09-21-2005, 02:44 PM

Either you just don't get it... or you're tying to cause problems.

Try really reading AJ's post...especially these little snippits:

Lastly, I want to make it clear that I am not, in any way, saying that "negative threads" aren't worthy or shouldn't be posted. Negative posts contribute to the forums, however, there is a borderline. "I believe the Dolphins won't do well... here is why [with a few validating examples]" is better than "WE SUCK! #@$#@()$&*@&$)@"

HelloMotto
09-21-2005, 02:44 PM
Oh well, I guess we beat this subject to death! I say deep six this thread so we can Focus on The Panthers. Cheers!

peace i'm outta here.....

Megatron
09-21-2005, 02:45 PM
how in the he!! did someone with jesus in there post get banned. you must have reformed. :lol:This happened long before I made my personal commitment to Buddy Jesus.:lol:

WharfRat
09-21-2005, 02:47 PM
This happened long before I made my personal commitment to Buddy Jesus.:lol:

Like we actually believe your "jailhouse reformation" :rolleyes:

You're still on thin ice pal... :club:

:lol: :jk:

Caldolfan
09-21-2005, 02:47 PM
Thanks for trying to clean it up.

Megatron
09-21-2005, 02:52 PM
Like we actually believe your "jailhouse reformation" :rolleyes:

You're still on thin ice pal... :club:

:lol: :jk::hide:

SanDiegoDolphan
09-21-2005, 02:52 PM
See there you go again Wharf. I tried to let it die but you cant. Why am I trying to cause problems for voicing my opinion in my posts. You have made my case crystal clear!!! That is the problem. If it differs from your thought process It is "Causing Problems."

Megatron
09-21-2005, 02:55 PM
See there you go again Wharf. I tried to let it die but you cant. Why am I trying to cause problems for voicing my opinion in my posts. You have made my case crystal clear!!! That is the problem. If it differs from your thought process It is "Causing Problems." It's the inherant time delay of posting. He was writing his as you posted yours. I think this issue is becoming a little too personal for you dude.

SanDiegoDolphan
09-21-2005, 02:56 PM
Then you'd be thinking wrong. Dude.

ether79
09-21-2005, 02:57 PM
It's the inherant time delay of posting. He was writing his as you posted yours. I think this issue is becoming a little too personal for you dude.

:yes: I believe so also.

Megatron
09-21-2005, 02:58 PM
Then you'd be thinking wrong. Dude. Okie dokie, sorry I tried to help.:shakeno:

SanDiegoDolphan
09-21-2005, 03:02 PM
No prob. But Im not paying for an office visit.

NJFINSFAN1
09-21-2005, 03:02 PM
Okie dokie, sorry I tried to help.:shakeno:

Your evil remember!:eek:

WharfRat
09-21-2005, 03:06 PM
It's the inherant time delay of posting. He was writing his as you posted yours. I think this issue is becoming a little too personal for you dude.

:yeahthat:

I'm at work, so I had to start my post... got interrupted...then continued it. By the time I posted, you had already posted as well.

There you go again...if it differs from your thought process, it's me being obtuse....

Edit: again? when have I ever not let it die with you or anyone else?

Megatron
09-21-2005, 03:09 PM
Your evil remember!:eek:It's you're not your. What are you back in school for, I hope it's math?:lol:

FinHeavenAJ
09-21-2005, 03:12 PM
Alrighty then.

I believe most people now have an understanding of what I meant. If you have a specific concern please ask in the Complaints, Suggestions Forum.

Thank you!

Sincerely,
Andrew Tatum