Glass Half Empty
Some random thoughts for this offseason - random thoughts - most seem to point back to my disdain for our FO:
1. We don't have a single UFA worthy of the Franchise Tag. Why use it? We'll only wind up paying a solid player elite money. That's how you get into cap trouble in the first place.
2. The Vontae Davis trade is another terrible move - and we haven't even used the pick yet! The best that pick can be is the 53rd in the draft or thereabout. By the way, Davis has 3 picks, 5 passes defensed and 9 tackles in his last 2 games for the Colts. We don't have a CB on our roster that has ever had back to back games with picks in their careers...
3. It's sad to see all the debate over whether to bring Bush back or not. I like Reggie a lot and I want him on the roster next year. But the fact that this is even a discussion just highlights how pathetic we are at the skill positions.
4. Jake Long - are we sure that someone is going to offer him big money? Given his injury problems, lackluster play and overall ineptness the past 2 seasons why wouldn't we try to bring him back for like, say, $5 million a year? Seems to me the importance of the LT has diminished over the past few years given the athleticism at the QB position nowadays. If I sound like I am contradicting myself here I am. I want Long back - but at realistic money. Too many first round picks wasted on LTs the past 10 years of so - Wade, Carey, Long, Martin (if Long goes). You never get ahead by running on a treadmill every 4-5 years.
5. "We have picks and money" - LMFAO!!! So we have 2 extra picks on the first 3 rounds - woo hoo!!! Guaranteed they are going to be home runs right? NE seems to have this many picks every year and they only get it right SOME of the time. What has Ireland done to give us any hope that we will have a great draft? Taken Ordick instead of Dez "is your mom a prostitute" Bryant? Koa Mississippi instead of Gronkowski? Taken Pat White ahead of everyone we drafted before from rounds 2-7? Name one game-breaker (which the league is all about now) he's drafted since he's been here? Taken Jake Long over john beck? We had 4 picks in the first 3 rounds this year - we took Eggnoodle with the Marshall pick - we got good value, right? I don't need another poor draft to be satisfied that I think he sucks @ss.
6. Ryan Tannehill - Don't get me wrong, I am a fan. But he is still very raw. 3 rookie QBs led their teams to the playoffs this year. Granted, Luck and Griffin are very special players but let's not overlook the fact that Russell Wilson was a 3rd round pick and it's not like Seattle has a bunch of world beaters at the skill position on their rosters either. For me, jury is still out on RT - he's better than Henne, Beck, White, etc - but can he be the face of the franchise - I am hopeful and "half full" on this. However, I wish I was "completely full" as I am when I watch the other guys I mentioned.
7. Daniel Thomas - do we give up on this perpetually concussed, fumbling machine? Remember, we traded up to get this guy - he was going to be our "big back". For a "big back" he sure gets knocked into next week an awful lot.
Am I being too negative? It's hard to be objective given that we basically did the same as last year and our roster still is devoid of any "star power"...
This is why we should have a 500 post minimum before being able to start threads.
Congrats, you just reiterated the exact same thing that there are multiple threads about already.
Thought I'd condense the nonesense into a single thread...
Originally Posted by EvilDylan
By starting a new thread?
You must be in a really foul mood and looking for a fight or something. I don't see anything on here about all the no 1s we used on the LT position, mention of Russell Wilson, etc. If you are so elite, why not join the VIP section?
Originally Posted by EvilDylan
I have joined the VIP, and I can post in whatever section of the site I choose to just like you. If you only look for a few pages you'll see complaints about every single aspect of the football team.
I know that. I don't see, nor agree that we should have minimums or not start a thread because someone else mentioned the same content elsewhere, etc. I have what I think are legitamate concerns about this team and FO. I've seen just about every game this team has played since 1979; been to a boat load of home games even though I live in NJ. Point is, as a vested fan - and I don't care how few or many posts one has - I feel I have the right to comment. Once this site becomes "elitist" we will be in trouble. One can always choose to ignore a thread - happens all the time. Just not sure why you chose to come after me.
Originally Posted by EvilDylan
Some people are more pessimistic than others. I respect your opinion, so I'm not going to bash for you for voicing it like others here will do.
1. I'd rather not use a franchise tag on either Long or Smith. Long is a good LT, but linemen never deserves that much money (referring to they want to resign him). If he wants big money, he's gone. That leaves the franchise tag for Smith who is a decent CB who makes no plays. He is not worth big money either.
2. Drafting Davis was a mistake from the start. They passed over Clay Matthews and Hakeem Nicks for him. Years later, Ireland trades Vontae a week before the season with an already questionable secondary, and got a 2nd round pick out of him. You're not going to win games if you're trading away 1st round picks for 2nd round picks in only a couple of years.
3. Reggie is our only play maker, but he is also injury prone. We have to resign because we lack play makers. If he wants big money, I let him walk. We should not break the bank for Reggie just because he's our only play maker.
4. I don't trust Ireland with these picks either. He's missed on a lot of guys, and what's worse is that most of these misses have been in the 2nd-3rd rounds. Misi, Egnew, White, Smith, ect.
5. Tannehill had nobody. He had a weak O-line, and nobody to throw to. We basically threw him into the wolves in a sense. I see promise in him. It's too early to judge him.
6. Thomas looked decent at times, and wasn't a big time fumbling machine like people paint him to be. However, I see nothing special. It looks like a stupid pick to me. I could see getting a similar RB with the same value in later rounds. Miller was a 4th round pick and he looks like our future RB more than Thomas does. Thigpen was undrafted, and he has a bigger impact than Thomas. I hope we use Thigpen more in the passing game. I don't believe in drafting RBs with high picks. They are the easiest position to find.