Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Dolphins' Blitz Packages Just Increased 10x

1. -1
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks

The Dolphins' Blitz Packages Just Increased 10x

Now that Eric Moulds has confirmed what we all pretty much knew, that Kelly Holcomb is starting at QB for the Bills, the Dolphins just increased their blitz packages ten fold.

This will be another "kitchen sink" day, much like against Jake Delhomme, but probably with much different results. Holcomb is nearly as stiff as Drew Bledsoe back there and not as savvy with making the checks and calls at the line of scrimmage as he would need to be to neutralize the blitz a la Peyton Manning.

Expect Seau to play, and to blitz frequently. Expect Zach and Channing to blitz. Expect Lance Schulters and Travis Daniels to blitz. And possibly expect Lance Schulters to get ejected from the game when he intentionally throws a pile driver on Eric Moulds, who will probably spit in someone's face in this game just as he always does.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    The name's Bond...James Bond.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Rochester, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    So, you're saying that the Phins WOULDN'T have thrown the kitchen sink at JP Losman? I don't think this changes the gameplan much, at least as far as how often the team blitzes is concerned.

Check out some of my other work:

• Dr. Stats, the best fantasy football site on the internet, with weekly projections and plenty of regular articles.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Never con a con man

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Atlanta
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phunwin
    So, you're saying that the Phins WOULDN'T have thrown the kitchen sink at JP Losman? I don't think this changes the gameplan much, at least as far as how often the team blitzes is concerned.
    Agreed, whoever is the QB this week will feel the heat. I think Losman would face more blitz's as he has proven not to be able to handle them.

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Casselberry, Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phunwin
    Not as much because he scrambles is what I believe the answer to your question, would be.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    The name's Bond...James Bond.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Rochester, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Losman's mobility is certainly an asset in making Miami pay for blitzing, that's true. However, the trade-off is his inability to see it coming. Holcomb is better at reading the blitz and would be more able to throw it away. So, I think it's six of one, half-dozen of another.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    this is a very tough call to make because there is little film on holcomb in the bills offense. i think you feel better about blitzing jp because he hasn't shown the ability to consistently make throws. you might give up a scramble here and there but you don't fear giving up a big play. i think we will still want to put pressure on holcomb, but given his immobility and the bills offensive line struggles, we should be able to do that bringing only 1 LB, unlike with losman who has the ability to run out if you only send 1 guy and the d line doesnt get there. another tough thing is that you'd like to find out right off the bat how holcomb handles heavy pressure, but he has shown he can make plays with his arm in the past, and if we blitz early and get burned for a big play td, now the bills have all the momentum and were on the road down a TD. not how you'd like to start the game.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Obsessed

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead
    Now that Eric Moulds has confirmed what we all pretty much knew, that Kelly Holcomb is starting at QB for the Bills, the Dolphins just increased their blitz packages ten fold.

This will be another "kitchen sink" day, much like against Jake Delhomme, but probably with much different results. Holcomb is nearly as stiff as Drew Bledsoe back there and not as savvy with making the checks and calls at the line of scrimmage as he would need to be to neutralize the blitz a la Peyton Manning.

Expect Seau to play, and to blitz frequently. Expect Zach and Channing to blitz. Expect Lance Schulters and Travis Daniels to blitz. And possibly expect Lance Schulters to get ejected from the game when he intentionally throws a pile driver on Eric Moulds, who will probably spit in someone's face in this game just as he always does.
    They were gameplanning for both and I wouldn't be too hasty with the blitzing... They may just start out vanilla in 4-3 base to see how effective it is before trying anything else. They may not need anything else but if the 403 isn't effective then I'd expect alot of movement.

HULKFISH SMASH PUNY AFC EAST!!
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    The High Tech Bong Monkey!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dallas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Sorry guys, but I just can't see Coach Saban saying "Oh...Holcomb is play? I guess we'll have to change our game plan now".
    I think he's smarter then that. After the last game, I see him preparing the secondary a little bit more. But not changing up the defensive scheme simply because one player isn't there.
    Ask me about the Miami Dolphins "Game of the Week" during the offseason.

Miami Dolphins DVD Video Library
    Now hosting Miami Dolphins games on DVD including the games like
    '85 Bears game, Fake Spike game, and the '94 shoot out vs Patriots!!

Games available for your iPhone and iPod Touch!
    PM for details
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Never con a con man

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Atlanta
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think the gameplan should be to line up JT on Greg Jerman every play.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Before Miami and the fans go nuts, remember that one player always beats the crap out our D... That person is Eric Moulds...I'm not going to look and see what he has done the 1st 4 games of the season, I already know..throw that out of the window...for some reason when Moulds plays the Phins he is always putting up big days against our secondary...

This game can go either way.....
    GO DOLPHINS!!!!!!!!
    Phin fan since 1970

Quote Quote