Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 174 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do you believe in God? (First 1000 post thread in the PoFo!!!!)

1. -1
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Why do you believe in God? (First 1000 post thread in the PoFo!!!!)

There was a time when I believed in God. Mostly when I was a child and my parents told me what was right and wrong. Then I grew up and became an adult and started thinking on my own and did a lot of research on science and God. There is no right answer yet. We as people can only take things from each side and make our decisions on what we believe.

I personally believe there is no God, to me science has proven that the world is continuing to evolve. We have seen such a growth in technology in the past 30 years. For millions of years before it was just people living life, not educating themselves on the world. People are growing and learning more and more everyday. With this knowledge we find things that God never talks about, such as, space, other galaxies, stars aren't actual "Stars" just balls of gas in laments terms.

So my point in this thread is can you tell me why you do believe in God with evidence, please dont respond by saying "I look in my childs face and I know God exists." I am really interested into finding out why you believe in God.

If you dont believe in God I encourage you to post as well, and tell me why you dont believe in God.

~Sulamar
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Sporty Don

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Long Beach, Ca
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I wouldnt say I dont believe in God. I really dont know, I think it is possible there is a God, but I think it is almost just as likely that there is no God. I have issues w/ organized religion and many religious people but that is a different thread. Also, I dont think it possible for a religious person to give a satisfactory answer to your question. They believe because of faith, but explaining that faith in a way for people w/ out faith to understand seems impossible to me atleast.

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I believe in God because I do not think I am a descendant of green ooze!
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by ohall
    I believe in God because I do not think I am a descendant of green ooze!
    I do not think that green ooze could've formed on it's own without help and guidance, and I further don't believe that even if Green ooze had formed on its own, I don't believe the everything on earth today would evolved from it without some type of guidance.

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jerusalem
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I used to be agnostic and got the proof I was seeking. I believe that I was punished for the way I was acting. Here it is if anyone is interested:

Although people love the weather in Miami especially in winter, there's a serious downside. As the southernmost big city in the country it's very attractive to homeless people especially in the winter when the homeless population would balloon.

Because the problem was getting out of hand, police in Miami got very aggressive with them, to the point of burning their belongings. The ACLU sued on behalf of the homeless and in a landmark decision, they one. Miami's police were enjoined from taking ANY action against the homeless and then the problem really got of hand, I heard stories that at one time downtown's homeless population was estimated at 10,000.

There's no doubt that the decision was in part politically motivated. Note that the ACLU brought suit only against the City of Miami, the 30-some-odd suburbs were not affected (how many of the ACLU's members actually live in the City of Miami?). Miami became the dumping ground for the nation, downtown in particular. Suburban police would often just drop them off downtown. The streets were filthy, smelled of urine and feces, aggressive panhandling was rampant, robberies also common. Some of the more appalling cases: stealing the wiring out of the streetlights, the letters off the Freedom Tower, and a case I know of personally were one of my neighbors was forcibly ejected from his wheelchair which was then stolen.

After some time the City came to an agreement with the ACLU in which they would be able to remove the homeless if there was room at the new emergency shelter. As part of a remedy to address the problem, the City created a Citizens-On-Patrol (COPS) squad for downtown and as a resident (SE Overtown) I participated. Well, about 90% of the time when we offered to have a homeless person transported to the shelter, he/she refused. After time that took a toll. I decided to start acting on my own.

When I would walk the streets around my neighborhood at night I would intetionally stomp to make as much of a racket as I could in order to wake the homeless up. My goal was to either choose the shelter or drive them out of the neighborhood.

After a year I got new neighbors and my life became a nightmare. They would get drunk on their balcony and yell in the middle of the night so often that it began to affect my health. It could be any night of the week, any time at night. After about a dozen security calls, they started ignoring security, so I called the police who must have come out about dozens of times themselves. This went on for about a year. Thus, I believe that the Almighty sent these lowlifes into my life to punish me for my actions. It's too coincidental.

BTW, if you read this whole post, props to you or as they say here: "kol ha-kaVOD" (all the honor to you).
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I always wondered why they chose this god? Whats the matter with Zoraster, Allah, Ra, Jupiter, or any other god that spawned some monotheistic religion? They all make it clear god is there to explain the unknown, wy a drunk moved next door or why humans came into existance. Thats perfectly understandable. A couple centuries ago they needed god to explain weather patterns and a persons humors. But whats so great about the christian god that makes him better than all the rest? The stories arent that great, certainly are trumped by the vedic texts. There are even other gods who are more ambiguous and can be redefined with even more ease.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Namaste

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Sacramento, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    For those who are agnostic and have issues with organized religion, I would recommend a book, Conversations with God. It helped me find some of my own answers. For those of you who are more scientifically inclined, you might want to rent or buy the movie, "What the Bleep Do We Know." If you are spiritual (whether religious or not) I would ask, why are you spiritual? I believe in God, Universe, Source, Oneness as pure love beyond measure in human terms. Let's face it, no one here knows what happens when our bodies die. There have been many spiritual teachers and masters who have shared their own experiences and beliefs. The commonality among them was that they could only point you to their inner experience of God through their limited definition of God...and this has taken many forms over the years. Why do I believe in God? That my friend I cannot articulate in human words that would not be open to attack, ridicule, judgment and hate from those who would have a different definition from mine.
    “Observe the attachment to your views and opinions. When you become involved in an argument or conflict, watch how defensive you become, and feel the force of your own aggression as you attack another person’s position. Feel the mental-emotional energy behind your need to be right and make the other person wrong, then let go of the force inside you that is fighting for power.” Eckhart Tolle. "Don't retaliate, use the ignore function." Muck
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Rehoboth Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulamar
    There was a time when I believed in God. Mostly when I was a child and my parents told me what was right and wrong. Then I grew up and became an adult and started thinking on my own and did a lot of research on science and God. There is no right answer yet. We as people can only take things from each side and make our decisions on what we believe.

I personally believe there is no God, to me science has proven that the world is continuing to evolve. We have seen such a growth in technology in the past 30 years. For millions of years before it was just people living life, not educating themselves on the world. People are growing and learning more and more everyday. With this knowledge we find things that God never talks about, such as, space, other galaxies, stars aren't actual "Stars" just balls of gas in laments terms.

So my point in this thread is can you tell me why you do believe in God with evidence, please dont respond by saying "I look in my childs face and I know God exists." I am really interested into finding out why you believe in God.

If you dont believe in God I encourage you to post as well, and tell me why you dont believe in God.

~Sulamar
    Well, I believe something caused the very first matter to exist, somehow. Contrary to "popular" belief, schidt just doesn't happen. if matter didn't exist, then everthing would be just like space, a voidless, vaccum of nothing. Now, IMO, something caused/made the first bits of matter to exist, some force somehow, it just didn't happen on it's own. if that force was "God", then so be it, and then from that, the evolution process was allowed to commence.
    Right or wrong, that's simply MO.
    DD..................the #1 Delaware Dolfan !!!

Doing things you don't have to do today will help to determine where you'll be tomorrow when you can't do anything about it!
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Johannus Paulus II

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miramar
    Thanks / No Thanks
    There are so many thoughts swimming in my mind (pardon the dolphin pun) about how I can explain why God is real. But it all comes down to is what I said in another thread, it's about faith: "Faith is the evidence of things hoped for, the hope for things unseen." Anyone can argue why there is no God, but let me tell you (IMO) why there is: there had to be a catalyst to the Big Bang, Surivival of the Fittest, etc. Looking at the intricacies of the human body is another way to say that there was a greater power involved.
    Please don't start asking me if there is a God, why is there so much war, famine, etc. I don't know why. The world is not perfect. All of us have sinned and fallen short. But because this world is flawed is the reason I look forward to what is awaiting me afterwards Here is where faith comes in again. (IMO)
    Major props to JT for the sig.

Click on VIP badge to Join

Quote Quote  

10. -10
    All-Star

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulamar

~Sulamar
    I don't think we should spend 10 billion dallars to go to the moon when there are hungry children dying in our country. God never wanted us to go into space, he wanted us to focus on the earth.
    Quote Quote