Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 25 years ago today America was reborn

1. -11
    Reach for the Stars

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Maryland
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zachseau13
    Excerpts:

" Today marks 25 years since Ronald Reagan unseated Jimmy Carter in a landslide election victory. It's hard to think of any leader in the postwar era who made a greater mark on history."

"It was a time of 21% interest rates and the long-forgotten "misery index": inflation plus unemployment."

"His tax cuts sparked a 92-month, noninflationary boom that generated 17 million new jobs. When Reagan came into office, the top tax rate was 70%; since he left, it has remained below 40%."

"He stood before the Berlin Wall and demanded that it be torn down, and in less than 2 1/2 years it was gone."

"The Reagan Revolution taught us many lessons, but the most pertinent today may be this: Sometimes freedom depends on one man who knows what's right, and is willing to suffer ridicule for doing what's right."

http://www.investors.com/editorial/I...issue=20051103

RIP President Reagan
    While I liked Ronnie, his policies also moved 500 billions dollars from the middle class to the upper class, things only documentaries will tell you about. I voted for him, but I hated when his policies cut my interest write offs for new cars, I stopped buying brand new cars after that. Now only if I can get my wife to follow suite.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    just a little cattywampus

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Charleston, SC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MDFINFAN
    While I liked Ronnie, his policies also moved 500 billions dollars from the middle class to the upper class, things only documentaries will tell you about. I voted for him, but I hated when his policies cut my interest write offs for new cars, I stopped buying brand new cars after that. Now only if I can get my wife to follow suite.
    your tax bracket likely went down to a level that more than made up for it though i'd imagine. the top bracket pre-Reagan was around 70%. that is just outrageous!

sidebar: check out the Fairtax book if you havent thus far, and have an interest in meaningful tax reform.
    (William H. Bonney, aka Billy the Kid): If a man has 3 or 4 pals, well, then he's got himself a tribe. And there ain't nothing stronger than that.

Rest In Peace Scott Knight, 1968-2007... Pals.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Reach for the Stars

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Maryland
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlestonPhan
    your tax bracket likely went down to a level that more than made up for it though i'd imagine. the top bracket pre-Reagan was around 70%. that is just outrageous!

sidebar: check out the Fairtax book if you havent thus far, and have an interest in meaningful tax reform.
    Nope, I actually had to start paying taxes on April 15 of every year...I didn't have enough write offs to offset it..I was in catch 22, the only way to have more write offs were to give more somewhere else, either way I did it, I would have less money to spend per month..so I gave myself a break and didn't buy anymore new cars to have monthly car notes..that was my extra cash per money.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Not the best president of the last 100 years, but he was a good president.
    I rank the last centuries presidents like this:
    1.) FDR
    2.) Truman
    3.) Reagan
    4.) Clinton
    5.) Wilson
    "As scarce as truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand."
    Henry Wheeler Shaw
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    MoFinz
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferretsquig
    Good ol Ronny...first pres to realize he could just print money to buy his way out of any problems. Managed to triple the national debt in a mere 8 years....very impressive.

Yeah, cuz the path we had been going down before that was ever so much more successful.

Honestly man, if you're that miserable, why not move somewhere that fits your political idealogy better?

Oops...that's right, there isn't anyplace better. Oh well, gripe away
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    MoFinz
    Quote Originally Posted by ABrownLamp
    Well that is certainly debateable.

So, Reagan wasn't responsible for the re-vitalization of our country and the death of modern communism? Tell me, who else kicked Moscow in the sack and said watch what we can do....and crippled their nation without firing a shot. No other country had the resources or capability to do what we did, which was the only way to bring the Soviets to their knees.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    MoFinz
    Quote Originally Posted by ABrownLamp
    Better than Roosevelt, Kennedy, Wilson or Truman?
    No.

Maybe better than Hoover.

Kennedy was not that great of a President, sorry to disillusion you. He has been cannonized and martyred, but as a Pres. he was good, but not great.Wilson better than Reagan? What are you smoking?
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoFinz
    So, Reagan wasn't responsible for the re-vitalization of our country and the death of modern communism? Tell me, who else kicked Moscow in the sack and said watch what we can do....and crippled their nation without firing a shot. No other country had the resources or capability to do what we did, which was the only way to bring the Soviets to their knees.
    So does anyone bother to look and see there was no increase in soviet military expendatures to coinside with that of the US during that time period? It was a good sell, and people bought it....but we were bidding against ourselves. There was never a competition of economic power between the two countries. I have no love for a president who presided over the second great expansion of the american government. At least the first expansion led to some good.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    MoFinz
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferretsquig
    So does anyone bother to look and see there was no increase in soviet military expendatures to coinside with that of the US during that time period? It was a good sell, and people bought it....but we were bidding against ourselves. There was never a competition of economic power between the two countries. I have no love for a president who presided over the second great expansion of the american government. At least the first expansion led to some good.

As far as i can tell from your posts, you have no love for this country or its form of government.

Reagan challenged Moscow. He would not be bullied and believed in the goodness of America. You can deny it all you want, but whether he did it by outspending or staring down the barrell and not flinching, Reagan is the man who did it.

Sad really....
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoFinz
    As far as i can tell from your posts, you have no love for this country or its form of government.

Reagan challenged Moscow. He would not be bullied and believed in the goodness of America. You can deny it all you want, but whether he did it by outspending or staring down the barrell and not flinching, Reagan is the man who did it.

Sad really....
    As I said...the people bought it. You are told what to believe and you just accept it....I just have trouble accepting things without actually trying for formulate a different opinion based on knowledge aquired. But your description is fine....sounds like John Wayne. I suppose its what every American super hero is supposed to be like.
    Quote Quote